A Tale of Two Orphans — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
PureZaros
The Enigma
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Tulrissian Unification IC

Post by PureZaros »

As Embla perceived movement from the other members of the group, she rolled over and began to pack her things up. With bedroll rolled and kit packed away, she glanced at the untouched rations in her pack. Hm... This may get difficult to explain.

Shrugging, she finished packing. Crawling out of the tent, Embla noticed Zara walking over. "Ah! Good morning," she said cheerfully. Collapsing her tent, she quickly packed it away and joined the others as Fluffy woke and stretched as only a cat-thing could. stopping next to Caelen she leaned in and whispered to him "What was with the scream last night? Zara try to eat you or something?"
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen's eyes grow wide as Embla whispers to him. "Wha-, h-how'd you know that?" Caelen demands, desperate to know how she could have heard his muffled scream the previous night. "All the others were asleep. Did you lie awake to listen in on the conversation or something?"

Worried that Embla would spread the news of his scream in the night, Caelen began to nervously babble. "N-no, Zara didn't try to eat me. S-something fell on me from th-the trees while Zara was t-telling a f-frightening tale, and it sc-scared me," he explained, attempting to not seem pathetic. "J-just don't tell anyone." Caelen shuffles away from Embla, staring at the rugged path. His life is a pathetic embarrassment as it is. He didn't need anything more to add to his disappointing existence.
Last edited by Scratcherclaw on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by kalis5 »

Rorin stands at the same spot he spent the guard last night, leaning up against the nearby tree as the others make ready. He doesn't carry that much that will need packing up, and he was up early, used to getting up before most do. From the sound of things, there's already some tension in the group. Of course, there will always be some tension when starting out with strangers.
"We should get moving. It's hard to say when Imardin will continue their invasion. We should try to stay ahead of it as best we can."
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

Embla was slightly taken aback by Caelen's suspicion before she remembered that most people would have been asleep then. Fumbling slightly for an answer, she whispered "I'm... uh... a light sleeper. You learn to not sleep too heavily when there's a chance of your pet running around eating things that it's not supposed to." Reaching over and ruffling his hair, she smiled at him. "I just wanted to make sure the other long distance fighter was safe. We squishies need to look out for each other, right?" Laughing, she walked away, calling Fluffy after her. "Oh darling! It's time to go! Pick something up for a snack, if you will."

Fluffy bounded after her, pausing only to spear a squirrel protesting their intrusion into its territory.
Last edited by PureZaros on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Zara observes as the only other woman in the group continues to torment Caelen in her place. He will likely fear women for a long time to come after this journey. She only gets up off of her log when everyone is ready and moving.

After the mysterious hooded man - Rorin - speaks, Zara can't help but to be baffled by his naïveté. "'When,' huh? Do you really think that they have stopped? I assure you, if some place is not currently under siege then there is an army out there moving with just that intent." Does he honestly not think they would keep to the offensive with such a large advantage?
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Rorin shrugs slightly, looking at Zara.
"For the most part, I don't know. That's the problem. We need to keep moving to the next town so we can try and keep notified of their movements. By the time we reach the next town it could already be under Imardin control, the Lord killed, and the population oppressed. So unless you want to walk into an occupied camp, I suggest we pack up and start moving. We can rest when we get there."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"They wouldn't extend all the way to Garland without first taking the other more western settlements, I don't think we are at a risk of coming to an occupied Garland or Violet Keep. Now coming back west afterwards is another story." Zara continues to be baffled by the hooded man. Well he is clearly not a soldier, or he would have a much better understanding of army movements. She continues to stick to the back of the group as they march. The sun may be fully out now, but that does not mean there could not be things lurking under the forest canopy. The odd quiet of the forest constantly seems to suggest otherwise, though.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Last we'd heard, Eranor had yet to fall to the Imardanian troops. Even if it has in the past two days, they would have had to breach, capture, and move on from Spearpoint Castle as well as beat us to the fork in the road here en-route to Garland. While I've no doubt of the power of their military, they aren't divine." Valc had trained in military tactics under Lord Halstos as a squire.

"Still, Rorin is right. Garland will give us much needed information on the movements of the troops. Time is always of the essence." Valc sighs. If only we had horses.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Rorin shrugs once more as they walk. He knows that Garland's not going to be destroyed so quickly. There's still a lot in the way, but he was more just using it as an example.
"My point is that we've gotta keep moving before they do catch up. Every town destroyed is another ally lost. We might want to think of ways to delay the army, sabotage perhaps."
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

"They'd like to think they are Valc. It sounds ridiculous when you say they're lead by bishops." Drake said with a slight tone of disdain in his voice. "Garland should be safe for a least a week, possibly more. They'll likely try to take Darden's hold after securing the coast, followed by Greywood and Spearpoint. Something I'd rather avoid." He paused for a moment before adding; "Well at least that's how I'd do it."

"Valc and Rorin are right though, time is of the essence. We need to reach Garland soon. Even if we can only convince Lords to march to face the invasion rather than holing up in their keeps, it'll at least buy us more time."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Zara is a bit put off by Drake's seeming distaste for the devout. Imardin may be the enemy, but she can respect their devotion to their goddess just as she is devoted to her own. "I have met one of the Imardin bishops before, you know. Interesting man. The title can be a bit misleading, though; they are usually skilled soldiers and commanders from what I gather, not robed old people."

The party is a bit more talkative for the remainder of the long walk through the woods this day, as everyone is just a little bit more comfortable with one another. Like with the day prior, nothing major happens. The party passes the fork in the road that leads to Spearpoint, and the occasional traveler or messenger is passed, but ever since the invasion began and word spread the roads had been scarce. No one wanted to be out for fear of being ambushed by the invaders.

Hours pass, and darkness begins to set in once again. However, this night does not require any wilderness camping, as the group finally reaches their first destination while it is still dusk. Before them is the humble forest city of Garland, a place known for its artists and poets, but also for its fierce forest rangers that patrol the nearby woodlands to keep the town safe.

As they approach the entrance (a small gate in the palisades that surrounds most of the city) the group is stopped by a pair of rangers. They have their weapons drawn, and did so long before the party came into view. Anyone familiar with the city would know that guards at the gate - especially seemingly-hostile ones - is far from ordinary, but given recent events it is also not really a surprise.

"Hold, please. Do not come any closer," says one of the rangers, stepping forward towards the group as they draw near. "What business do you have here?" The man looks the group over, reacting in a noticeable disturbed way as he sets eyes on Fluffy. "And what are you doing with that?" he says, motioning towards the beast.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I am Lord Aerden of Spearpoint." Drake said in response to the ranger's questioning. "These are my... companions. We're here to seek audience with Lord Jont. Don't worry about the beast, it is completely under control." I hope. Drake thought, glancing at Fluffy. Embla had seemed to have control throughout their journey, he just hoped she could maintain it once again in a populated area.

"I have identification if you need it. I understand these are dangerous times. I wouldn't blame you for being cautious. He added, confident they would be allowed entry.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Yes, show me your papers please, if you have them," the ranger replies. Drake hands them to the man, who quickly looks them over before handing them back to his colleague. After a moment the second ranger nods to the first and hands the papers back to Drake.

"Everything checks out here, Lord Aerden, sorry for the hassle," continues the first ranger. He looks around at the rest of the group again, a look of disapproval on his face. "I am still not sure about your companions though. They are an odd bunch, certainly not the type to be accompanying someone such as yourself." The ranger leans in close to Drake and whispers into his ear, "if you are being held hostage, we will dispose of them for you. Just give the word."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Drake laughed. "We are quite an odd party, I suppose." He said glancing back at the group assembled behind him. "Will we be able to see Lord Jont now or will we have to wait until morning?" He asked, changing the topic, he didn't really want to waste time explaining to the ranger why they were there. "Our business is quite urgent. Oh, also do you know if there are any men wearing my colours in the town? I sent some out scouting and was hoping some would be reporting back soon." He added as the ranger accompanied the party through the gate, that had been opened for them. "Actually never mind. I know the men well... we'll just check the taverns."
Last edited by Namelessjake on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"The lord is not seeing people at this time, unfortunately. You are free to enter the town, though," the ranger says as he opens the gate for the party to pass. "Enter quickly, now. No lollygagging." Any attempt to pry more information about the lord is simply met with silence or a "That's not your business."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus waits impatiently during the exchange between Lord Aerden and the guardsman. If only Castle Halstos wasn't under enemy control... He'd be an acting lord of Tulrisse as well and have as much sway as Drake in diplomatic matters. For now, he is a ronin, his impaled master probably lying in a cold grave somewhere outside his hometown.

His limbs aching from the brisk pace they kept today, Valc is in poor spirits and eager to rest and eat, as well as learn about troop movements or any local rumors.

As the guard gives the group the okay to enter Garland, Valc exhales deeply, thankful there wasn't a situation or anything of the sort. "It's late in the day and I'm sure Lord Jont wouldn't see us until midday tomorrow, so we should take the time to rest up, resupply, and find out as much as we can from the townspeople as well as any travelers or troops. I, for one, would be interested in visiting the guard barracks. They'd have knowledge of any Imardanian movements, and I'd like to judge Garland's military strength based on their numbers and weaponry. Lord Aerden, you mentioned seeking out the taverns for your men-at-arms. We should split up and meet back in the town center when the moon is high above."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I wouldn't be so sure Valc. I don't think we'll being seeing Lord Jont unless we do anything about it. Splitting up is a good idea though, we need to find out about any news of the war and also if there's going to be a way to convince Lord Jont. Drake said, agreeing with Valc. He paused for a moment thinking.

"The ranger's barracks is a good idea too, you and Caelen should go see what you can find out there. Zara why don't you come with me to the taverns? A female presence tends to have quite an effect on drunken men, we might be able to use that to our advantage... Rorin... You just go do whatever it is you do, you look like you'll probably be best on your own. And Embla... Embla... Try and stay out of trouble."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valc snorts at the idea of Embla not finding herself into trouble. Who knows, maybe she'll have the most luck with finding out word of the west. Hopefully she doesn't try to have her beast sting it out of some poor fool.

"Caelen, with me. Let's go see what we can learn from the rangers' barracks. I'm sure with my words and your skill with a bow, we can convince them to let us look around their armory. I don't want them short on men in case Imardanian troops make it out here in the coming week." He beckons the elven young man to follow him.

"Lord Aerden, Rorin, Embla, and Zara." He looks at each of them, thoughts forming. "Stay safe. Meet back here at midnight. Any later and we'll start to look for you." Unless there are objections, he leaves with Caelen.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

He intends to flaunt me around in a tavern, wonderful. Zara is not thrilled at the idea of becoming eye candy for drunken men - and possibly even some drunken women - but she cannot really think of a better plan. She also can't really argue with the young lord's reasoning; she was, after all, much more capable in this regard than the strange Embla. "Very well, Lord Aerden," she says bluntly and steps to his side. "Try not to get shot," she calls out to Caelen as the awkward elf boy leaves with Valcus to meet with the rangers.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"Ooh, goody! Come on, Fluffy! let's go explore," Embla said, excitedly dancing a little bit. Hardly pausing to hear Valc's warning, she and her pet dashed off into the town, looking for a market.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Streetwise check for a market: 1d20 = 15 + 4 = 19
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Rorin waves behind him at the group as he walks on, thoughts of his friends in the city filling his mind. There's a good chance the spy network still lives on, at least partly. The main base in Peloth was most likely destroyed, but the chance that the spies were taken care of as well is very low given their very nature.
"I'll be at the tavern later on. For right now, I have other business. No you can't ask what it is. No, I cannot tell you what it is. And no, I do not want company. I'll just see everyone later on if that's alright with you guys."
Not waiting for a response, Rorin's off, waiting until he's a good distance away from the party before he starts asking questions. He's hoping someone has kept an eye on the safehouses of his friends, maybe give him clues as to what they might have been up to. He's not very hopeful though, given that they're spies. But he can at least try.
As he walks though, he does also keep his eye out. Spy safehouses have a tendency of moving from time to time, and it's possible that they have moved out of their usual position to keep themselves safe if any spy has been captured by Imardin. There are a few signs he may be able to spot though.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Streetwise check: 17(1d20) +3 = 20
Perception check: 1(1d20) +6 = 7
Hope this is enough, at least for a streetwise check. Gotta roll a 1 at some point. Guess it's now.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Embla
[SHOW]
Embla easily finds the market with a little bit of asking around. It is towards the center of town, further down the main road an in the same direction that Drake and Zara headed in search of a tavern. However, there are few people about at this time of day, and most shops are either closed or closing for the night.

(OOC: I didn't know if you wanted to talk to anyone in the market, since you didn't specify. If you do, just RP her approaching some vague person who is walking around and I will respond to that, no other checks required unless you want to make one for some reason.)
Rorin
[SHOW]
Rorin asks the few people he can find wandering the city this late in the day about his companions, but to little avail. Some of them vaguely recall seeing a similarly-dressed man to him around town recently, but no one had seen the man since around when the first news of the invasion arrived. Perhaps he left town, or perhaps he just went into hiding, there is not enough information to tell one way or another.

Rorin's own search for signs of their presence is entirely lacking as well. Try as he might, he can't seem to find anything. Trying again when the sun is out might help, but there is not much else he can do until then.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen nods at Valc and follows behind him towards the barracks, looking around at the city in amazement. He had rarely been outside the Virem castle, and there was not much time for taking in the city at Greywood, so this was his first experience in a bustling city. Caelen looks around at the buildings and local people, taking it all in. He stumbles on a stone, not even looking at the ground before him, but he regains his balance quickly, not wanting to embarrass himself in front of any others. Deciding it would be best for him, Caelen looks straight ahead to follow Valc, rather than observing his new surroundings. I can see the city later. I've got time, he tells himself, walking in rhythm with Valc now, and careful to not trip on any other objects. The barracks soon come into view and Caelen grows slightly excited, being able to see so many master bowmen and hopefully the rangers' supply of longbows.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Rorin sighs as his search ends up with nothing. From the sounds of things, it's very possible that there are spies here, but because of their very nature, finding them is near impossible as is. He doesn't want to risk exposing himself either, and it's possible that word will have gotten back to the rest of the spies of his interest in finding them. He wonders as he walks to the tavern whether or not the spies will try and kill him, mistaking him for a threat. That would be incredibly awkward.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Valc & Caelen
[SHOW]
As the pair approach the barracks they can see many more rangers than were anywhere else in the city. While this makes sense, it seems that the numbers are greater than expected and some of the men and women do not seem nearly as professional as the men who the group met at the gate. Some of the less-professional-looking ones aren't even fully armored with the standard ranger gear.

The barracks itself seems rather frantic. Many people are moving about hastily, saying short sentences back and forth to one another that neither of you can quite make out due to the number of these small conversations going on. For awhile no one seems to even notice that you two don't belong here, but after a few moments a few start to notice. You can tell the ones who have noticed you because they have stopped their normal conversations and started whispering while watching you. One of them eventually approaches. "What are you two doing here? Civilians aren't allowed in the barracks," he says, before looking you over more closely and noticing your arms and armor. He reaches for a shortsword at his side and continues, "by the looks of you I'd say you aren't civilians, though. State your business now!"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Drake and Zara made their way to the nearest tavern. The sounds of drunken merriment echoed from within. Drake glanced up at the worn wooden sign creaking in the wind. The Timid Troll it read, the words surrounding a picture of what Drake assumed was meant to be the aforementioned troll, however the paint had long since faded and it could have been anything. The pair stepped inside, Drake was immediately hit by the warmth radiating from a large hearth fire in the far corner of the room. The tavern itself was fairly small but there were still a reasonable number of patrons, one already passed out slumped over the bar, much to the displeasure of the barkeep. Drake made his way to the bar and climbed onto a rather shabby looking wooden stool. The Barkeep raised his head in acknowledgement of Drake's presence. "You wouldn't happen to know of any Spearpoint men in town would you? He asked, hoping that it wouldn't take too much asking around to find someone.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Zara reluctantly follows Drake to the nearest tavern. The Timid Troll. It has been awhile, hasn't it? She is still not a fan of the idea that she is there as his eye candy to loosen men's tongues, but she has accepted it. When they enter, she leaves him to do the talking for awhile as she walks towards the hearth, sits near it, and enjoys the warmth.
Drake & Zara
[SHOW]
The barkeep raises his head in acknowledgement of Drake, as he is used to doing for all patrons. This time is different though, this time he sees before him not a commoner or ranger, but a lord. Keep it together, Bob. Don't scare 'im off before 'e buys at least five drinks. "Ah, welcome, welcome. Please have a seat my good man. Would ya like anythin' to drink?" When Drake does not comply, and simply asks a question, the barkeep continues, "Spearpoint men, ya say? Would them's be the ones in black 'n red? If'n so then yeah, I saw some pass through 'ere earlier, looked like they's going to Violet Keep. Friends'a yours?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"That'll be them. I grew up with some of them." Drake said, somewhat disappointed they have already left. "What's the deal with Lord Jont? I came here hoping to talk with him but it doesn't seem like he's taking audience with anyone. Know anything about that?" He asked before pausing for a moment. "I'll take an ale." He added, hoping his patronage would help him find out more from the Barkeep.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Drake & Zara
[SHOW]
"Ya know, I don't," the bartender replies to Drake, a bit suspiciously hastily. With this he turns to fetch Drake's drink and, after presenting it to him, goes back to looking down at the counter.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Hmmmm" Drake said, taking a swig of his drink. "I'm not so sure..." He continued, taking another drink before firmly putting down his flagon on the bar. A single drop jumping from the top and splashing on to the bar. "I'm sure it would be in your best interests to tell me what you know..."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Intimidation check to see if Drake intimidates the barkeep into revealing what he knows 1d20 = 20 + 5 = 25
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Drake & Zara
[SHOW]
Bob looks up at Drake as he talks, noticing a distinct change in the man's countenance as he does so. The humble bartender cannot help but to feel a sudden wave of fear at the noble's words. He gulps. "Loo- look," he stammers, "d- don't hurt me, sir. I don't know nothin', I swears. Lord Jont 'as been actin' strange now for days. I- I think it 'as something to do with the w- witch." By the time he is finished, Bob is cowering against the wall behind the bar, afraid for his life.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Drake raised his flagon to his lips once more, hiding a slight smirk, he took another drink and tried to question the man further. "Witch? What witch?" He asked, determined to get as much from the Barkeep as he could. Something definitely isn't right here. He thought, running through possibilities in his head. An actual witch or possibly Lady Jont? Word has it she's not going to win the Queen of Grace and Beauty and a tournament any time soon. Or perhaps something else entirely? He wondered.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Drake & Zara
[SHOW]
"Ya... don't know about the witch?" Bob asks, his fear now turning into confusion. "What, ya been livin' under some rock?" He looks Drake over for a moment, but once he can see that he's serious Bob continues. "The witch's a plague on Garland, ya know. She lives in the forest, an' she steals people. We all thought it was just a legend until a few days ago."

Bob pauses a moment to pour himself an ale, and takes a large swig before continuing his tale. "So back a couple a days ago, she came in the night an' she stole some children and she left a note sayin' she's gonna steal the lord's children next. That same day he closed the castle gates and they ain't been open since, so I's thinkin' it's gotta be somethin' to do with that." Bob takes another large swig of his ale and then sets it on the counter.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

Looking around the market, Embla notices that most things are closed. "Well, that isn't very helpful... Guess we got here too late, Fluffy. Think we should try to find an open shop?" Fluffy just swishes his tentacles, growling lightly. "I like that idea much better. It's decided then!" Embla cried, pointing into the air. "To the graveyard!"

Making her way towards one of the people slow to leave for their homes, Fluffy stalking behind, tentacles swaying, she called out "'scuse! Can you point me in the direction of wherever you bury dead people? I'm curious to see who the fortunate souls were."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Interesting" Drake nodded, he drained what remained of his drink and stood up from his stool. He put the coins for his drink on the bar and walked over to Zara. He took a seat beside her. "Apparently there's a witch in the woods threatening to steal Lord Jont's children. That's why the castle is closed. According to the barkeep anyway. We just missed my men too, they're travelling to the Violet Keep. Do you want to go find the others or should we do some more digging?" He asked, glancing around the tavern to see if any of the other patrons looked like they would be worth talking to.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

As the ranger barks at him and Valc, Caelen steps back a bit, uncertain how this could turn out with the man's harsh tone and the presence of his weapon. He'd rather not have to spend the remainder of this journey dead. He looks over at Valc, expecting him to say something, despite the fact that Valc has barely had the time to react to the brash man. He's going to kill us. I just know it. I'll be dead and Zara will have to dispose of my body. She'd probably like that, I'm sure. "W-we... we, uh." He looks around anxiously, hoping for a distraction of some sort. Finally, Caelen nudges Valc with his elbow, cueing him to start talking.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Embla
[SHOW]
The first few people that Embla approaches simply flee at the sight of Fluffy, without a word. However, one man is seemingly unfazed by the creature and speaks up. "Hey crazy lady," he calls, as Embla attempts to get someone to answer her question. "I know where the graveyard is, yes I do. I might be inclined to tell you, too ... for a price." The man smirks at Embla, rubbing his thumb and index finger together.
Valc & Caelen
[SHOW]
"Well?" the ranger raises his voice, "spit it out boy, before I have you both arrested for trespassing!" The ranger, hand still on his weapon, looks back and forth between Valc and Caelen, awaiting a response. He does not look like his patience will last long.
"A ... witch?" Zara asks, a bit taken aback by this sudden revelation. "You mean, like the one from the legend?" This could be a problem. She looks expectantly at Drake, while still enjoying the warmth of the fire. The last thing she suspected when coming to this town would be to find trouble, Garland was always one of the most peaceful cities in Tulrisse.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well that seems to be what the Barkeep thought. Whether it's like from the legends or something else? I couldn't say." He paused for a moment thinking. "If we could deal with the problem it may just win us Lord Jont's audience and possibly even his help in the war." He said, starting to appreciate the fire's warmth, understanding why Zara had stayed there.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

Embla frowned at the man standing before her. He was obviously asking for money, and she didn't feel it was necessary to make someone pay to see the dead. Raising an eyebrow, she thumbed behind her at the tentacled panther. "Y'know... The last guy that tried to get money off of me ended up as lunch for Fluffly. Maybe it would be best to just tell me and be on your way? I'd rather not have my companions on my case again."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Intimidate check to get info out of this old coot: 11(1d20) + 9 = 20
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valc peacefully draws his hands up, palms out in response to the man reaching for his blade. "Hold! There is absolutely no need for things to come to that, ranger. We come in peace." He wets his lips as he attempts to diffuse the situation. "Valcus Torinn and Caelen, we are. We're travelers, refugees from the west, from Virem and Twinriver Village. We arrived tonight and figured we'd stop by the guard barracks to learn of any recent Imardanian movements as well as make sure your militia was top quality. I've extensive training in military tactics and am - or was, rather - a knight of Castle Halstos and I'd imagine my inspections could be of service to you."

He lowers his hands as he continues. "I know that enemy intelligence isn't something that you'd share with strangers or even civilians on a casual basis, but I believe you could profit from my knowledge. I know you could, even. I come with an offer: I give my military advice on your situation, and you fill me in on the movements of these invading bastards. It's all for the same cause, no?" He smiles wanly.

Valc breathes in, taking a short look around the barracks again. He points to a few of the militiamen and women who were poorly armed and armored. "Here, I'll lead. First of all, the Bishops' armies have better training, better organization, and better weaponry than most of our Tulrissian brothers and sisters. However, we may have the numbers advantage as well as the benefit of fighting in our own territory. To make full use of that, your troops need to be armed as well as possible. See to it that your forges are working through the day in order to churn out weapons and armor for these new recruits. You cannot afford to have under-armed men and women against our foe. Now, then. Your turn. Tell me a bit of Imardin's movements."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Diplomacy check: 1d20+10=28
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Embla
[SHOW]
"Fine," the man replies, a hint of fear in his voice. "I see how it is. The graveyard is that way." The man points off down one of the side streets that all converge into the market, and when Embla turns to look he runs off, intent on distancing himself from the woman and her pet as quickly as possible.

Wasting no time, Embla heads in the direction given. After awhile of walking, though, she only comes across houses and more houses. There is no graveyard in sight, or even any large, open spaces of any sort. In one direction she can occasionally see a bit of wall through gaps between buildings, but otherwise she has very little to orient herself in this unknown place.
Valc & Caelen
[SHOW]
The ranger listens to Valc's rant-approaching speech patiently, eventually removing his hand from his weapon midway through, realizing that the men are no threat despite their appearances. He crosses his arms and his manner changes from patient to skeptical as the knight gives out his condescending military advice to a professional soldier.

When Valc is finally done talking, the ranger lets out a sigh. "Alright, I can see that you mean well at least. It is poor manners to enter uninvited, though, and reckless to do so in a building full of armed men."

He sizes the two up for the first time and judges them to be decently skilled, but nowhere near skilled enough that they should be so confident walking into a guard barracks. "So what do you want? Imardin troop movement information? We don't have any. The western lords can deal with those 'peace-loving' bastards, we have our own, more urgent, problems to deal with right now. So if that is all you came for, I suggest you leave."
"Anyone from Garland would think of the legend, it is really their only legend," Zara continues. "Do you know it? It is a frightening tale to those that are easily spooked, but most people never really believed it to be true as far as I know. To think that it actually could be." Zara can't help but wonder what manner of creature the witch actually was or, if it was a person, how she managed to live for so long. Or perhaps she didn't, perhaps there was more than one. The thoughts race through her mind as she tries to figure out what is going on, and in the midst of her thoughts she barely notices the hooded enigma, Rorin, enter the tavern to join herself and Drake.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valc, despite being bitter that his words got him nowhere except peacefully asked to leave, held his confident and relaxed disposition well. "My apologies, watchman. Forgive me for barging in during tense times. Still, I beg, take my words of advice. The Imardian threat is very real and it would pain me to see Garland fall to their aggression." He turns to leave, but pauses. "Hold on, watchman. You mentioned larger problems than the invading scum. What is plaguing Garland so that would blind her eyes from the bloodshed on the coastlands?" He scowls, not rudely, but confusedly. What could possibly be more of a threat than a massive, moving army coming to purge Tulrisse, west and east, of its unfit, unholy rulers?
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Much more relaxed now that Valc has calmed the aggressive man down, Caelen returns to his usual stance and stays quiet, letting Valc do the talking. He was much better with his words anyhow, Caelen figures. He listens attentively to Valc negotiating with the man for information on the whereabouts of the Imardin military, and sighs slightly when he sees that Valc's attempts were to no avail. As he hears of the city's own issues, he yearns to know more, and so does Valc, apparently, as Caelen listens to Valc ask his question for him. How can they be concerned with their own petty issues when invaders could be here in days to murder them all?
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Valc & Caelen
[SHOW]
"What problems? You know what problems, don't patronize me boy." The ranger looks incredulously at Valc for a moment before his eyes light up, a sudden realization reaching him. "Ah, so you really don't know. What, did you just come into Garland and head straight here? As if we have nothing better to do than to fill you in on all the goings-on of the city?" He turns to a group of rangers who had been watching the exchange quietly, and barks an order at them, "take these foreigners out of my sight!"

Turning back to the pair, "If you really want to know, go ask the locals around town - I am sure they have plenty of gossip to share. You had better not try to waste anymore of my time, though, or I will see you locked away for hindering the rangers in their duties." With this the ranger turns around and goes back to whatever it was he was doing. The duo is then escorted - peacefully or roughly, depending on their actions - out of the ranger barracks and back out onto the street.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Biting his tongue to prevent himself from unleashing harsh words or harsher actions, Valc gives Caelen a look of repressed anger as they are escorted out of the barracks. Had he only told us of Garland's struggle, might be that we'd help. Idiot. As the guardsmen return to the barracks, leaving the pair on the street, where they began, Valc turns to the elf and speaks. "That ranger was pretty rude back there, huh? There must be something serious about for them to be on the edge but careless about the invasion." He sighs, annoyed that visiting the barracks got them nowhere but escorted out as if they were criminals. "We've better things to do than upset the guardsmen. Let's go, Caelen. We'll see if we can't find the others at a tavern."

As they walk, Valcus is bothered by the quietness of the boy and decides to see if he can stir up some conversation. "Where did you learn bowmanship? Your longbow looks quite deadly."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen rolls his eyes at the ranger's incompetence, but not wanting trouble, follows Valc out. The least the man could have done was explained the problem, but Caelen had grown sick of the man's rude behavior already. Caelen nods in agreement when Valc comments on the ranger and suggests going towards the tavern. Maybe the others have had better luck finding information in this town.

When Valc asks about Caelen's bow skills, he isn't surprised at all. Everyone wants to know about each other's pasts, and being the quiet one made everyone want to know about him even more. But it was easier telling it to Valc. Caelen trusted Valc from the beginning, when Valc praised his bow skills and wanted his presence on the journey. With Zara, it had been more difficult, given her attitude towards Caelen, but with Valc, it was different. Caelen felt more comfortable talking, albeit still slightly nervous. "M-my f-father taught me how back in K-Kurnhuelde. W-when we weren't hiding from the orc s-slavers, he'd take me into the forest and show me the elven w-ways of the bow."
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

As Rorin walks in, he tugs his hood back, revealing his face for the first time since he's joined the group. If there are any sort of rules that he follows, one is to always remove any headgear before you sit down to eat and drink. Once he spots his fellows, he walks over and sits down next to them, ordering an ale.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

Realizing that she has been duped, Embla fumes silently. I swear, if I ever see that guy again I'll rip his arms off personally.

Looking at the buildings around her, she debates whether or not to just take a random path. Realizing that the chances of finding her way back to the market are slim if she just wanders, Embla decides to just continue down the road, hoping to find something interesting. "Well, I guess we've nothing better to do for a while, Fluffy. Let's keep on going."

(OOC: Your turn Wal. No telling me I've fallen in a pit and died, please. I'll come back with a vengeance and a villager rail gun.)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Embla
[SHOW]
Embla turns down a side street with Fluffy close in tow and continues her aimless wandering through the labyrinthine city streets. Of all the cities to be lost in, this is one of the worst; the artistic citizens of Garland have always eschewed efficient city planning in favor of winding, confusing, natural pathways that flow with the landscape to create beautiful scenery. While nice in the day, at night it just makes for a maze of dark paths that seemingly lead nowhere and everywhere at once.

After what seems like an eternity, Embla emerges onto what is clearly one of the major roads of the city. There are few people still out at this time, but in the distance she can see a pair of people walking and talking. If she squints, Embla can just barely tell that the pair is none other than Valcus and Caelen.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"Oh, hey! HEEYY! Guys! Guess what," Embla cried, running over to her companions. Fluffy loped along behind, snatching the occasional gutter rat. Reaching Valc and Caelen, she excitedly, and very quickly, detailed her exploration.

"I found the market but everything was closed so I talked to this dirty old guy that tried to have me pay him for directions to the graveyard and he pointed me the wrong way!" Embla paused for a second, her entire demeanor darkening somewhat. She intoned under her breath "I'll rip his arms off and feed them to him..."

Suddenly brightening again, she continued at her near manic pace. "So I just decided to go with it and I've been wandering for, like, an hour and somehow ended up here and here you guys are and FLUFFY! NO!" Embla yelled at Fluffy as he crept toward a sleeping beggar laying in the gutter. "He's not dead yet! Stay away! Bad!" Fluffy slunk slowly back to his place by Embla, moodily spearing another rat.

"So, what have you guys been up to?"