A Tale of Two Orphans — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Namelessjake »

"Good luck Rorin," Drake says to the spy as a means to release him.

"We should get going too," he continues, turning back to Caelen and Valcus. "To the Elmwood estate then?" He asks, ready to head back into the city.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus
Caedus seemed to rather enjoy being assisted, and helping her to do the same. He followed her to the bed, and yes, found it to be exceptionally comfortable.
Caedus laid there after their energetic romp and seemed incredibly proud of himself, or at least incredibly satisfied. He smiled and looked over at her. He nodded, smiling brighter. "This will be a moment I will remember for quite some time." He contemplated it for a bit, blushing a tiny amount. "I'd like to do this again. You certainly made me feel incredibly special." He said softly, and attempted to kiss her cheek.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I suppose we should stop by Mutar's camp to share news first. I wonder if the Great Ghor will be joining the tourney? It was a shame we missed him in the brawl." Valcus says. "Then, the Estate."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"As long as they don't preoccupy us for too long," Caelen says to Valcus, knowing the circus's eccentric inhabitants and their tendencies to distract and bewilder. "It wouldn't do to show up late." Even if they're friendly nobles, they're still nobles. I wouldn't want to offend them...

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"To Mutar's camp then," Drake says correcting himself, with a slight smile. He begins to make his way back towards the city, expecting the others to follow.

BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
At a leisurely pace, Hellenbert moves along the tables, watchful for rumours of the foreign fighters. He greets familiar people and bows his head for other nobles as he walks by, but focuses on finding rumours.
Food and drink... and rumours

Mechanics
Perception to check for rumours:
[1d20+1]=15+1=16

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Drake, Valcus, Caelen
It takes little time to return to the city gates and pass through, heading towards the left to the market square. You find it completely buzzing with activity, with most of Mutar's troupe performing acts on one of several makeshift stages, or in the square itself. Crowds can be seen gathered around, whooping and cheering as they watch in awe at the performances. Off to the side, you spot Ghor speaking with Kiki, the acrobat who you'd met a few days prior.
Ghor
OOC: I am just reposting here the last two posts I made for Ghor, for reference. Given that the separate time frames for each group of people are not set in stone, we can have this all happen immediately before the other people show up:
You awaken in the morning a bit sore, but otherwise well-rested. While the evening didn't go your own way, you did get to enjoy good food, good drink, good conversation, and a lovely bit of fun with the elven woman, Amihra. As you come to, you notice that things are much more bustling than they had been when you returned. The other members of the circus seem to be awake and already entertaining in the square outside your cart, which can be confirmed by glancing outside the window. You can see Marga weaving her fire for a handful of children and their parents, Nudara reading the fortunes of a nervous-looking young woman, and Alvaro astonishing a large crowd with his potions. While you cannot see any others from your position, it seems likely that most or all of the others are out there somewhere.
Once ready to face the day, you open the door and step out into the street. From here you can tell that the square is quite packed, with people especially excited to see the circus in town now that you are here all day and able to fully show off the many talents your group has to offer. Mutar is towards the entrance of the square, flexing and directing oncoming waves of visitors to the different performers, drumming up hype as he is wont to do. There are clearly a steady stream of families, teenagers, and young adults making their way, suggesting that someone has spread the word about the circus being back in town.

"Mornin', big guy," Kiki says, noticing as you step out. She seems to be resting between performances, slowly sharpening her knives while seated on a nearby crate. "Long night?" she asks with a grin. "You got back pretty late, and had a bit of a glow to you."
As you hear her speak, you notice from the corner of your eye the two lords, Valcus and Drake, and their companion Caelen approaching, seeming to already be up and about for the day despite the early hour.

Caedus
The woman turns to allow your kiss to connect and smiles. "Why, you are incredibly special," she responds, gently caressing your bare chest with her hand as she speaks. "And you certainly are no amateur in bed," she continues, with a smirk and a wink. "I'll happily take you whenever you please," she continues. "Though if you were planning to practice in the tourney grounds, please don't let me stop you. Wouldn't be good if you lost from lazing in bed with me all day," she adds with a chuckle.
Hellenbert
As you walk around, you can hear all sorts of chatter, most of it mundane to you. However, you do hear the occasional mention of competitors who the other fighters either are eager to square off against, or are worried to be matched with. Some of them are ones you'd expect, like Ser Emrys Stane, the famed jouster who has won several jousting tourney in and around the kingdom before, or Ser Hansel, your rival and bodyguard to the princess. However, you do hear mention several times of two lords from the west - Lord Torinn of Twinriver and Lord Aerden of the Spear - as well as famed knight of the city of Tanon, the Talon of Tanon. The last one seems most odd to you as, despite his apparent fame, he is not someone you'd heard mention of before.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus
Caedus had to take a moment to steady himself, taking in a slow breath, and letting it out as a sigh. "You're right. As much as I'd love to stay, I cannot. Soon I would love to return to your chambers, but for now I must return to the grounds." He said solemnly, and after another moment he pulled himself away and began to dress himself again.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Quite the crowd gathered already," Drake notes aloud, as they approach the circus. He scans the crowds looking for any familiar faces, easily picking out the hulking mass of Ghor. "There's Ghor," he says, pointing out the performer to the others, despite the man being hard to miss.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Aye, an easy man to pick from a crowd," Valcus says, following Drake's gesture. He cleaved apart those wolves like a hot knife through butter. It may take great effort to pry him from the life of the circus, but in truth, his bravado and prowess could be tremendous to our cause. I could not walk away from such a man without exhausting every chance to convince him to lend his axe. With a haste to his step, the young lord makes his way through the bustle to Ghor and Kiki.

"Good morning to you both. How fares the troupe today? It would seem that you're having better luck here than Red Bridge."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen smiles as they catch sight of Ghor, though his eyes dart to Kiki and go wide. Let's hope she doesn't try to make me wear another silly hat... He stays a bit behind the young lords, almost hoping that his presence goes unnoticed before a trip to the nearest haberdasher is made. Surely she'll be busy entertaining the crowds soon, right? And can't stay and talk too long...
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
After hearing stories about the Talon of Tanon, Hellenbert decides to walk to the personal tents to see if the famous Talon, knight or the other strange tourney participants, Lord Torinn of Twinriver and Lord Aerden of the Spear can be found there.
A knight from Tanon entering is not odd per se, it's not that far. But this Talon is odd, he is of fame and praise yet I have never heard of that name. I suppose he could have come to fame only recently. No mother names their child 'the Talon'.
Hellenbert chuckles after joking to himself.
There is a proper name to that alias, and finding it may ease my suspicion, or even better... it might make it worse.

Mechanics
Perception to find the tents of the strangers: [1d20+1]=5+1=6

Last edited by BartNL on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

Ghor reacts more on reflex than anything else.  "A change of venue always picks things up a bit.  Gives people a chance to remember how dull it is when we're not around!" Turning toward the voice, Ghor recognizes his recent travelling companions, and his smile reaches up to his eyes.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Seeing Ghor react to their prescence, Drake speaks up as the tri nears the strongman. "Good to see you Ghor. It's shame we never faced each other at the Pinnacle. The final bout was quite something," he says, in part boasting of his own success.

"The man who bested you was certainly fearsome though," he adds, thinking of the Talon and also realising that Ghor's ego may have been bruised as well as his body in the fight.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Aye, he was," Valcus agrees, thinking back to the strange man somehow implicated in Johanna's dealings. "Have you heard about the tournament being held in honor of the Princess tomorrow? There's to be all manner of competition."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Drake, Valcus, Caelen, Ghor
Kiki rolls her eyes when her question is ignored, but perks up as the others approach. "Well, well, if it isn't my boyfriend for a day," she says with a wink towards Caelen, as the group draws near. "You guys come to see the show?" she asks, now facing the group as a whole. She jumps up from the crate she'd been sitting on, before putting away several knives she'd been sharpening before. "It's a good one today! Great weather and an awesome crowd! Will have a lot to spend at the tavern tonight," she says, beaming with delight at their prospects.

"We just returned from the camp outside the walls, and came by to say hi on our way back in," Daria responds to the girl, offering a forced smile in response to her obvious excitement. It is clear from her face and tone that her mind is still focused on Narder and the others that you only just recently buried.

"Ah," Kiki responds, her tone noticeably dropping as she takes in Ser Daria's demeanor. "Yeah, bummer," she continues, clearly uncomfortable and unsure of how to respond from the way she fidgets.
Caedus
The smile remains on Beatrice's face, and when you get up to dress, she joins you, making no effort to do the same for herself first. When your several layers are fully donned, she leans towards you and gives you a quick kiss on the cheek and takes your hand, guiding you back towards the center of the mosaic tile pattern on her floor. 

"Stand here," she says, before backing away so she is fully outside of the circle. "It will be the same as before," she continues, before raising her ring-bearing hand again. As with the first time, the circle begins to glow, and in an instant you are once more standing on the mosaic at the edge of the tourney grounds. Some nearby knights look at you as you arrive, some with a look of confusion, but others with a knowing look. One, bearing a smirk, gives you a wink and a nod as you come back into view.

As before, the grounds are full of activity, with more or less the same division as before. Glancing around, you notice Johanna towards the edge of the grounds, motioning for you to come see her. Though you cannot quite make out her facial expression from your position so far from her, you do get the distinct sense from the rapidity of her waving that she would like you to come quickly. 
Hellenbert
You spend a decent amount of time wandering the vast array of tents, searching their colors and speaking to those around them when possible, but, try as you might, you are unable to locate any that appear to belong to the three men you seek. This leaves city lodging as the likely alternative for the men in question, though you do not know in what form that would take. None of the men, to your knowledge, own any property within Menora proper, but there are several inns of varying quality that one might rent lodgings from, and there is also always the possibility that one or more of them have friends in the nobility who would be willing to provide them a place to stay for their brief visit.

Though unable to locate the three men in particular, your search does yield useful information nonetheless. In scouring the area for clues, you overhear several conversations speaking to rumors of a large mass of civilians camped outside of the city, nearby to the forest. While you'd seen them before, both earlier on the way to the tourney, as well as the day prior, you'd simply assumed they were travelers come to see the tourney. It had not really crossed your mind that they might be here for other reasons, but the chatter amongst the competitors suggests that initial assumption was wrong. As far as you can tell, no one seems to know the exact reason for the encampment, or even from where it came. 
OOC
If you plan to search the tourney grounds for more information, please let me know what Hellenbert will be doing next. If necessary, I will have you roll another check, depending on what you decide to do. 

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus
Caedus grinned as he was led away from the bedroom and towards the teleporter, and tried not to notice as people seemed to notice his return. He saw Johanna's motion to hurry back to her, and he quickly made his way through the crowd in her direction. He cleared his throat as he approached and sighed softly, "I'm sorry about the delay. She had uh, something she wanted to talk to me about." He said, trying to excuse his absence. "I didn't intend to be gone for so long." He said quickly.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen hides a grimace as Kiki easily notes his presence, sheepishly looking towards the ground as he spies her winking at him. So much for that... He takes a deep breath, not wanting to get caught up with the performers, and Kiki, for too long. "Aye. We were invited to a noble's house, so we can't keep them waiting too long," he says with the genuine anxiety of offending his new friends if they arrive late. We're not already late, are we? Would they understand...?

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
After looking for a while, and not finding what he is looking for, Hellenbert becomes irritated and decides to move on.
If I can't find those strangers here, they must be lodged elsewhere. And I could hardly barge in, even if I knew where they are staying. So no use in staying here.
And on the other hand we have a large mass of peasants, who may not be here for the tourney after all. This doesn't add up...
As far as the lords of the west goes, I can always check out the Pinnacle tonight to see if they are back for a second round.
Hellenbert decides to walk back to the city and check out the large camp outside the city before continuing his search.

Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

Ghor rubs his chin. "A tournament? Had a busy night last night, didn't hear about it." He stretches and shrugs, trying to look casual. "If you lot are involved, might be worth it. Maybe even a rematch of sorts with that Talon or Terror, or whatever."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus can't help but smile at Kiki's razzing of the archer. "Happy to hear Menora's been good to you so far. It's been good to us too."

"Talon of Tanon," he gently corrects Ghor. "He turned out to be quite the fighter. By my count, I think he brought down half a dozen brawlers in the free-for-all. As for the tournament, well, there's a few competitions: jousting, archery, even a melee... I think you might have some fun in that one." The knight gestures toward Ghor and his hulking frame.

"Speaking of, we are on on our way to the Elmwood Estate. They have a training ground, I've been told. Perhaps you'd like to join us for some last-minute conditioning before tomorrow?" He leans in somewhat, lowering his voice. "We've some inquiries to make as well."
Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

"Oh, a chance to see how the other side trains? I think I could spare some time for that." He looks down at his casual wear, grins and adds, "I suppose I'd have to wear a shirt."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus lets out a chuckle, nodding. "It may be for the best. Of course, finishing with top marks in circus raiment would certainly level some noble egos, so who's to say?" He turns to the others. "Shall we make for the estate?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Let's," Caelen says plainly, giving the young lord a quick nod. "I'm eager to practice a bit." He flashes a small grin, tapping the bow strapped to his back. And I'll need to so I can do well in the competition...
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"He was quite something in the ring. In the end I had to put him in the dirt twice before he stayed down," Drake boasts as Ghor and Valcus mention the Talon.

"Excellent," the young lord says as Ghor agrees to come with them to the estate, letting out a chuckle at his mention of a shirt. As the conversation turns to leaving, Drake nods in agreement. "I wonder if they have anything set up for training for the joust. It's been a good few weeks now since I've held a lance. It'd be good to get my eye back in," he adds.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Caedus
"Yeah, yeah, she seduced you," Johanna says, rolling her eyes as she glances towards your hastily re-adjusted armor, which, to a trained eye, is slightly less than perfect in its connections. "She does that," the woman continues, seeming unfazed by your recent escapade. "I've something more important to tell you," she continues, before stepping closer to the woodland road you'd come down before. Once there, she looks around a bit before lowering her voice. 

"There is a man asking around about you, in the camp. You and the lords you fought in the arena last night. I know him, he's a somewhat famed knight in the city, who is always seeking to raise his station. I am not sure what he wants with you, but he might approach you and ask ques-" she pauses, before frowning and looking towards the distance towards an approaching man. "Actually, that's him. I don't know if he knows what you look like, but if he does then he might approach. Just stick to the story from before and all should still be well."
Caelen, Ghor, Valcus, Drake
"Aww, leaving so soon?" Kiki asks, feigning a pouting glance towards Caelen as the group makes their plans. "You'll just have to come back before we wrap up for the day, you guys would be perfect for crowd work. So few townies want to be the person getting knives tossed at them, but you all seem young and fearless enough to give it a go," she continues, a mischievous smirk forming on her face as she speaks. 

After a short period of time - enough for Ghor to change - the four of you make your way towards the Elmwood estate. Caelen leads the way, using directions he'd been given the night before by Carl. You traverse a short ways up the hill towards a street off the main road, not far up from the base, called Limestone Boulevard. Heading down the way, you find that most of the street features large, imposing homes that are likely the capital residences of various members of the Menoran elite, perhaps even some of the nobility from other cities in the Queendom. While the estates do not compare to something like the Atherton estate, or the other massive homes at the summit of the hill, they are all quite a bit more imposing than most of the ones you've seen so far.

At nearly the end of the road, on the left, you find a slightly smaller manor with an ornate wooden sign above its entrance reading Elmwood Estate. It is walled, with ivy and some flowers covering much of the old stone wall that surrounds its plot, and an intricate wrought-iron archway leading into the property. Passing through, you find that the rest of the grounds are separated by a shorter, iron fence - showing signs of rust from years of weather - leaving only a short cobblestone path towards the entrance. The entrance is mostly unassuming, a solid wooden door in the side of the stone bottom floor of the building, which features two higher floors constructed of wood and plaster, not much different from most of the more common homes in the city despite its size. The center of the door features a brass knocker in the shape of antlers, with the center that hits against the door fashioned in the shape of a stag's head.

Caelen
You recall, from the night before, that Carl had instructed you to ask for 'Carla' on arrival, and that both he and Dustin showed signs of discomfort with that name.

Hellenbert
As you approach the woodland road you'd entered the tourney grounds before, you spot a familiar - and unexpected face - standing at the edge of the woods, speaking to a man you do not know. From her stature and her attire, you can tell with certainty that the woman you spotted is none other than Johanna Galben, a famed - and feared - mage of the Tower, and a close friend and confidant to the princess. She is known by many as the 'Coyote' for her fierce use of powerful magic to deceive and manipulate her enemies. Her relatively un-intimidating demeanor only tends to add to the mystique surrounding her at the Tower, and the fact she does not socialize with many of the other mages.

As you draw closer to the road, you notice that the man she is speaking to is wearing nice, clean-looking scale armor, with a crest on it reminiscent of the seal of Tanon. His back is turned to you as you draw near, so you cannot see his face, but it is possible from his crest that he is aware of the Talon you are seeking, if he is not the man himself. 
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus
Caedus nods as Johanna explains and he shuts up, seemingly just waiting to see what happens.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

As they pass by the estates, Valcus looks on in wonder. There is so much history contained within this ancient, beautiful city, he considers, admiring the architecture. The sheer wealth and power that the Menorans possess would make a formidable enemy to the Imardanians. We must do all we can to bring them to the front, before they the end up the Last Tulrissians — fighting alone.

The knight notices the less opulent state of the Elmwood manor, finding himself more comfortable. When they reach the door, he steps aside and nods at Caelen. I am once again impressed with his efforts. Finding allies like his friends in a city like this is no small feat.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The Menoran's have a lot to fight for, but how willing will they be to fight when the alternative is to remain here living in luxury, Drake thinks as he admires the impressive estates. I shouldn't think like that though. The Princess has already proven she has the mettle for what is to come, and I too am here - I could have remained safe behind the walls of Spearpoint Castle and brokered an alliance with the invaders at my countrymen's expense like Lord Jont. We can only hope that Lillian takes after her mother. If we win over the Queen the other nobles will no doubt follow her lead.

Not the most impressive of manors - but being from a great family does not guarantee greatness, and vice versa, the young lord thinks as they make their way up the path of the Elmwood Estate towards the manor house. As they reach the door, he steps forward without hesitating and raps thrice on the door with the antler knocker, before taking a step back to re-join the others.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Valcus, Drake, Caelen, Ghor
There is a pause, perhaps for a minute or less, between Drake's knocks and when you hear shuffling behind the door. Not long after, the large wooden door slowly swings open, revealing the figure of a tall elven man. He is well dressed and looks to be in his later middle age, with salt and pepper hair and a neatly trimmed beard and mustache. He wears a neutral expression as he peers of each one of you, before greeting you with, "Good morrow, sirs and madam. Are you here for an appointment with Master Elmwood?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen gives Kiki an awkward smile and waves as they finally depart, breathing a sigh of relief once he's finally out of view of the excitably performer. I don't know how they can stand to deal with her every single day... He shakes his head, focusing on leading the group based on the directions Carl had given him the night before. His eyes look around in awe as the impressive estates tower over them during their ascent, amazed at seeing such displays of wealth during the daylight hours. What would you even do with that much space, I wonder?

He stops towards the end of the road, spotting the small house Carl had described, and smiles. As Drake knocks, he remembers what he was told the night prior, his heart somewhat sinking. "We're here to see Carl-a," he says, hiding a grimace as the last syllable slips off his tongue. "We're expected," he adds with a weak smile.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert

'Well, this may prove to be a fruitful trip after all. The coyote, and with her my Talon if I'm lucky'.
Hellenbert straightens his clothes, as he approaches the mage and the knight.
Well met lady Galben, how do you fare on this fair day?
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Caedus
You notice the man straightening his clothes as he approaches the two of you, likely trying to look his best in front of someone as notable as Johanna, and perhaps even yourself, you cannot quite tell. "Well met Lady Galben, how do you fare on this fair day?" the man asks once close, looking to both of you eagerly for a response.

"My day is going fine, I suppose," Johanna responds to the man, though her tone betrays her annoyance from moments before. "But it will be going better once I can return to the tower and put this tournament out of mind for the evening. I will be glad for this event to be over, so the city can return to some semblance of normalcy," she responds, her eyes glancing towards the structure towering on the hill nearby.
Caelen, Valcus, Drake, Ghor
"Ah, yes," the man responds, now looking over you with a bit more confusion on his face than he'd shown before. "The young mistress did tell me to expect a friend, though I cannot say I expected so many of you, or such a diverse group," he continues, offering an amused smile as he realizes the true nature of your visit. "Please, come in," he adds, stepping out of the doorway and holding it wide for you to enter past him. 

With the man out of the way, you find yourself entering an ornate, albeit more rustic-looking home. The floor is finely polished, lacquered hardwood, with wooden walls delicately painted in greens and yellows. A staircase off to your left is likewise made of fine woodwork, the bannister featuring similarly intricate designs to the door knocker, this time in the shape of tree trunks topped with a railing carved with inlaid vines. On either side of the modestly-sized foyer you find yourself in, you see a closed door leading to another room. Past the staircase - straight forward - is a hallway ending in another door at the end, with a number of doors or open doorways on either side.

When everyone is inside, the man closes the door behind you and steps past, standing before the hallway leading to the back of the estate. "It is just this way, if you'd follow me," he says. "Mistress Carla is in the gardens, practicing for the tourney tomorrow. It is just this way." He leads you down the hallway, and you pass - in addition to more closed doors - two large open doorways, one on either side. The first, to your left, leads to an ornate dining room with a similarly ornately-carved wooden table and chair set, all set atop a beautiful green rug that appears to be of Garland origin. The second, on the left, is a sitting room featuring several large cushioned seats sofas, each able to hold 3-4 people comfortably. They are arranged by a fireplace, which is currently absent a fire. Off to one side of the room, a man can be seen seated at a desk, writing on some parchment with ink and quill. He does not pay you any attention as you walk passed, seeming fully engrossed in whatever it is that he is writing.

At the end of the hallway, you are led through the doorway at the end, which you find opens onto a small cobblestone path leading into the gardens mentioned before. The large enclosed area appears to take up more space than the house itself, in contrast to the estates on either side, and is likely why the house is smaller than the others. On either side is a large metal grated fence separating this estate from the surrounding ones, but the back is entirely the cliffside of a roadway further up the hill, supported by a stone wall in places where the natural rock juts out more than would be stable.

Following the cobblestone path, you are led through the garden's various trees - some seeming exotic to you, and nothing like what you see commonly in the forests of Tulrisse - as well as flower beds, several bush walls, and various small clearings that are likely used for relaxation or hosting gatherings. At the back of the gardens, you are led to an area enclosed by long, tall hedges, spanning most of the length of the back of the estate, and butting up against the cliffside of the road above. There, you find the familiar face of Carl, dressed in what appears to be a simple cloth gown, likely meant to be only for wear inside of the home, underneath the more ornate clothing that you have seen among people around town. He is standing partway down the long corridor of stone and leaves, practicing on some archery targets quite a bit further away, and does not seem to have noticed your arrival yet.
Hellenbert
You notice the man nod to the Coyote as you are approaching, but he does not speak yet, instead simply watching and waiting. Johanna watches your approach with a look of mild annoyance on her face, though she offers a polite smile as you approach and begin to speak.

"My day is going fine, I suppose," she responds to the man, her tone suggesting she is not as excited for the day as you are. "But it will be going better once I can return to the tower and put this tournament out of mind for the evening. I will be glad for this event to be over, so the city can return to some semblance of normalcy," she responds, her eyes glancing towards the structure towering on the hill nearby.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus
Caedus acknowledges the man as he approaches. "A fine, fair morning we've found ourselves in. Are you here to take part in the festivities?" He asks, pausing for a koment. "Or are you just here to watch?" He looks up and down the man, wondering about his potential as a fighter.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
'So, it's true. The coyote is somehow involved with a knight from Tanon. If this is my Talon, the coyote might be my mysterious quest giver. In character, but still odd that she'd approach the knight herself. But I can't rule out she's another pawn either, or that this is but a serendipitous even.
Not willing to give the coyote an easy way out, Hellenbert presses on: "Surely you jest fair lady, or is this tourney too exciting maybe?" Is there perchance a knight in shining armour wearing your favour, and are you anxious for the fights?"
In an attempt to annoy the coyote into having to explain herself, Hellenbert's eyes briefly glance at the knight to make very sure the coyote realises his implication. Then Hellenbert turns to the knight, bows politely and replies: "Forgive my rudeness ser, I am Hellenbert Brandt of Menora, ever so pleased to make your acquaintance. If there's anything I can help you with while you are in town, please let me know. May I ask, have you entered the lists, or do you have other business in Menora?
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen's eyes dash around the estate and its grounds in awe, struck by the minute details that make it just as impressive as the larger, neighboring homes. I wonder what kind of trees those are... he thinks, his thoughts and gaze both in the clouds. He snaps back into it as he catches sight of Carl, already at work practicing. I guess we're on time. I don't see Dustin here yet... He still smiles and calls out, waving once he turns. "Got started without us, I see. Guess I'll have to practice twice as hard then."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Carla? Drake wonders, surprised by Caelen's words. He stays quiet, following the Elmwood's attendant through the gardens to Carl.

"Good to see you. Are we the first ones here?" He asks as they approach the practicing archer.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus stays quiet, following Caelen's lead as they traverse the estate. He notices the Garlander details here or there, making a point to ask later about the connection. Carla, hm? It seems there are many among this city who live a different life than the one they were born into.

The knight marvels at the beauty of the expansive gardens, trekking up the slope carefully until they find Carl. Caelen must have some friendly competition with this one.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Caedus, Hellenbert
OOC: I should have had you guys in one block since my last post, but I messed up and kept you separate, which now makes ordering your last two posts a bit strange. I have quote each of your posts below so you can both see each other's responses, and from now on your blocks should be addressed to both characters, and each of you are free to read the other's posts for the time being. The last bit of text from each of you overlaps somewhat in terms of what it is doing, so feel free to RP that how you see fit. I'd probably assume it is just both men attempting to speak at the same time, but if you have other preferences, go for it.

Caedus acknowledges the man as he approaches. "A fine, fair morning we've found ourselves in. Are you here to take part in the festivities?" He asks, pausing for a koment. "Or are you just here to watch?" He looks up and down the man, wondering about his potential as a fighter.
'So, it's true. The coyote is somehow involved with a knight from Tanon. If this is my Talon, the coyote might be my mysterious quest giver. In character, but still odd that she'd approach the knight herself. But I can't rule out she's another pawn either, or that this is but a serendipitous even.
Not willing to give the coyote an easy way out, Hellenbert presses on: "Surely you jest fair lady, or is this tourney too exciting maybe?" Is there perchance a knight in shining armour wearing your favour, and are you anxious for the fights?"
In an attempt to annoy the coyote into having to explain herself, Hellenbert's eyes briefly glance at the knight to make very sure the coyote realises his implication. Then Hellenbert turns to the knight, bows politely and replies: "Forgive my rudeness ser, I am Hellenbert Brandt of Menora, ever so pleased to make your acquaintance. If there's anything I can help you with while you are in town, please let me know. May I ask, have you entered the lists, or do you have other business in Menora?
Johanna rolls her eyes at Hellenbert's question, but waits to respond as he turns his attention to the other man.

Caelen, Drake, Valcus, Ghor
"Oh!" Carl responds, turning to face you as he hears Caelen's words. He releases the bowstring and returns the arrow in his hand to a quiver hanging from his hip, before stepping over to the group. As he draws near, you can tell that he has been at it for some time now, as his face is somewhat flush and has noticeable beads of sweat forming on his forehead and arms. He chuckles at Caelen's remark, before turning to respond to Drake. "Yes, Dustin will likely be a bit longer," he says, before wiping some of the sweat from his brow. "His mornings are often busy, so he usually comes around lunchtime."

Turning to your escort, Carl gives the man a nod and says, "thank you, that will be all for now, Iain."

"Certainly, mistress," the man replies, as Carl cringes in response. "Have a pleasant visit," the continues, before turning and heading back along the path to the estate. 

"I hope you didn't have any trouble finding the estate. Some of the other ones along the road certainly make it hard to see," the man continues, giving a smirk as he says so. 
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus, Hellenbert
Caedus is mildly shocked at Hellenbert's insinuation, but plays it cool. "I am mainly here to test my steel against other competitors. What's the point in knowing my strength if I can't keep myself ahead of the pack?" he asks with soft chuckle, thinking back to the night before and the bruises he sustained. "I've already learned much from my time here, and I look forward to the next event."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus finds the interaction between the steward and Carl strange, frowning slightly as he listens. Carl's family sees him as Carla, and yet he sees himself as Carl. That must cause great friction — to have one's sense of self invalidated by those so close to you. I can't say I understand what he feels, but I can understand the challenge of a changing identity. He sighs. Lord Torinn, the man thinks to himself, finding the name unnatural still.

"No trouble at all," he says, shedding his thoughts. "Your family's estate is quite the home. These gardens and hills — I imagine the neighboring owners must look upon them with envy. Did you grow up here?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Aye, the neighboring homes are all certainly... impressive," he says with a slight smile, looking to the adjacent manors flanking the estate's grounds. "But yours has a charm the others don't. Feels cozier, I think." He frowns a bit, knowing Dustin is not yet present, recalling his father is one of their leads, but elects to shake the thought for a time. "Maybe you might show us a bit around the garden and training grounds before he gets here?" he asks, curious to see more of the impressive garden, with its foreign flora and impressive size.

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

OOC
Hellenbert had to reply to both Johanna Galben and Caedus. The order of speech that makes sense to me is:

-Hellenbert approaches and greets Johanna
-Caedus to Hellenbert: "A fine, fair..."
-Johanna to Hellenbert: "My day is going fine..."
-Hellenbert answers and presses Johanna
-Hellenbert appologises to Caedus for ignoring his question, and answers Caedus' question with one of his own.
-Caedus replies / Johanna rolls eyes
-Hellenbert says more stuff (this post)

Does this make sense to you Wal/Dio, or did I miss something?

Hellenbert and Caedus
Eye-rolling? Two can play that game. And the 'next event', this man is not exactly subtle. He doesn't seem like a real threat though. Strong maybe, but no ne'er-do-well. And the lady Johanna would have him locked up in a dungeon by now, never to see daylight again, if she thought him dangerous.

"It seems the esteemed lady Galben is flustered, now I have seen everything." Hellenbert quips jovially, but his smile doesn't reach his eyes.
"Fine to meet a fellow competitor. Do you by chance go by the moniker 'Talon of Tanon', perchance? And I beg your pardon, the next event, did you say, did you have a good sparring match earlier?"
Last edited by BartNL on Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Drake notices Carl's cringe as the attendant once again calls him Mistress. He reminds me of Ser Adira, he realises, remembering the daughter of Lord Marwane of Salbris, in the South of The Spear. She had come to Spearpoint Castleas a teenager to train under the knights of Drake's father - when Drake himself was beginning his own training around the age of eight. She put Clay Fellhomn straight into the mud when he called her Lady and suggested she wear a dress rather than her armour, he thinks, smiling at the memory, having never liked the rather unpleasant Ser Clay. I wonder if she rode West with my father, he thinks, the grim thought bringing him back to the present from his reminiscing.

"The gardens are very nice indeed," the young lord adds to the compliments, although he is far from impressed given his own upbringing.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

OOC
Looks about right to me so far, unless Wal's got anything to say about it.

Hellenbert&Caedus
Caedus stands proper now, examining Hellenbert from top to bottom and then staring into his face. He smiles, trying to soften the harshness of his face. "Yes, I am the fabled Talon of Tanon. Winner of hearts and master of fisticuffs, as some call me." After a moment he gulps and wonders if anything he said was remotely amusing... "I'm still recovering from the free-for-all brawl last night. A little sore, a little stiff. I'm sure you know how it goes."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Caedus, Hellenbert
"The firehazard ever seeks to belittle his betters to feel large," Johanna responds, folding her arms as Hellenbert continues with his jabs. "Tell me, does your inane banter work on anyone? Performance in the tournament grounds will only get you so far if your presence drives everyone to steer clear of you," she continues, leering at the man. "The greatest of knights are as charming as they are skilled. Though, I suppose, that could still be true in your case."
Valcus, Caelen, Drake, Ghor
"Yes, born and raised," Carl responds with a smile, when Valcus questions the home. "It may be smaller, but only because it is one of the oldest on this road. Our family once lived in this estate at the end of a road engulfed on either side by the canopies of trees, and our home was the sole destination to find at the end. At least, that is what father claims," he continues, seeming unsure of his own words. "He could have just made it all up, though. He is not known for his honesty," he continues, offering a slight chuckle at the thought.

Turning to Caelen, he adds, "for what it's worth, I'd agree. Our home is large enough as it is, and I'd much prefer the greenery outdoors to even more stuffy rooms full of fancy decor that must not be disturbed," he continues, a hint of annoyance as he mentions what must be the way his father keeps their home.

"And of course, I'd be happy to give you a tour," he continues, seeming delighted at Caelen's request. "Which part interested you the most? We can start there," he finishes, a wide smile now streaking across his face.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert and Caedus
Firehazard Hellenbert turns red at the remark. He bites his tongue to prevent himself from snapping at the coyote.
Hellenbert get's close to the coyote and speaks softly so that bystanders cannot hear him: "You are up to something, you and this Talon. And if a lesser man like myself can figure that out within a day, that's on you."
Hellenbert takes a step back, not wanting to draw attention, but continues speaking in a low volume, still agitated:
"Forgive my rudeness. I believed it necessary to see your reaction my lady. I now believe part of this plan is to make this knight of little renown famous before the tournaments start, am I not correct? Otherwise you wouldn't be parading him around, and he would not have entered the Pinnacle. Since it took me so little time to unravel this plot, I have time left in my day to do you a favour. I will challenge your knight, out in the open for your favour to wear. That's bound to draw some attention."
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus, Hellenbert
Caedus seems amused for a moment, before suddenly letting his jovial mask slip away. He drops his voice as well, so that only the pair of them could hear; "Ser, I will give you one firm moment to reconsider that proposition, before I make you regret that." He says, stiffening up, his right fist clenching. "I really, really don't think you want to do that." He squints at Hellenbert, hoping beyond hope that this knight will back down.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

I suppose your father's study would be a bit on the nose, Drake thinks as he looks to Caelen, curious to see what the young elf replies. I wonder how Rorin's efforts are going, he thinks as their espionage reminds him of the mission they sent the Pelothi spy on.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

So his father is tense and unyielding, Valcus notes. We shall have to steer clear of upsetting the man and losing our valuable connection that Caelen has earned in Carl. He turns to the elf, following his lead.