A Tale of Two Orphans — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I noticed a lot of strange trees on our walk down here. Ones unlike anything I've seen," Caelen says with a warm smile and curious tone. "Maybe you can show us those and tell us a bit about them?" And perhaps it will offer some more seclusion to speak? Who knows how many servants run about their gardens.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Hellenbert, Caedus
The Coyote looks like she is ready to respond to Hellenbert's challenge when the Talon intercedes on her behalf, threateningly. She instead decides to turn back towards Hellenbert, waiting to see what his response will be.
Drake, Valcus, Caelen, Ghor
"Certainly," Carl responds, stepping towards you at the entrance to the archery range. As he walks, he places his bow over his torso so that the string runs diagonally along his chest, with the wooden portion rests diagonally against his back. "This way, then," he continues as he passes the four of you, motioning with his hands for you to follow. 

You initially walk the same way you had came, albeit more slowly. As you pass various topiaries and flower patches, Carl explains what each represents, both in terms of the flora involved, as well as the significance of the colors and patterns that are arranged. One topiary represents a beloved family pet, since passed, and another is a bust of a distant relative who recently was knighted for valor. There is a flower patch that is made up of Carl's mothers favorite varieties, which you find out are the carnation and the tulip, as well as several others that are popular among others in his family. Passing by some, you spot them being tended by some of the family's servants, who had been present before as well.

After a short few minutes, you find yourself turning down a path you had not been down earlier, which leads to a widing - and less paved - path of a variety of different trees. As before, Carl explains the significance of them one by one as you walk. One, for example, is a rare species of conifer only found in a certain portion of the dwarven mountains, which are popularly used as decorations within the dwarven kingdoms in miniature form due to their low light needs. Another is a type of willow that Drake would have seen one or two times in his youth, found frequently in the most densely swampy portions of the Spear and even more commonly deep within Sorrow's Marsh. Several others from different regions of the continent are shown off before you finally reach the end of the winding path, where you find before you the grandest and most imposing tree of all.

"This one, though, is my personal favorite," Carl explains, as you gaze upon the large, tendril-like branches of the species that lies before you. While it is not as tall as some of the trees you'd seen, it is much wider, with its many thick branches raising and lower all around, creating a massive, yet shallow canopy. Some branches even reach to the ground before raising back up again, seeming more like massive roots in parts than traditional branches.

"We always played on this tree as children," he continues, nostalgia obviously playing through his mind as he looks it over. "It is so easy to climb on, and there are so many places to play in its branches. Even now, it makes a nice place to sit and read. It is a special type of oak, native only to the Great Swamp of the north. Our family history states that, many years ago, an ancestor of mine married a witch from the swamp, and she planted this here as a way to feel at home. It sounds a bit outlandish, but some certainly must have brought it here back then."

Caelen
As you approach the tree, you can spot that several portions of the bark appear to have grown around shapes or symbols that had been carved into its trunk at one point. From the path you cannot make out what these might be, but closer inspection should make it much easier to tell.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Drake chuckles as Carl mentions a witch of the swamp, thinking back on their encounter with the witch of the Senshenk woods. "Less outlandish than you'd think," he says offhandedly, not planning on going further into detail, knowing that the story of their adventure into the forests of Garland is a long and unbelievable one.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert and Caedus
Hellenbert is taken aback by the Talon intervening. As he sees the knight clenching his fist, he instinctively moves back into a fighting stance, though his arms remain calm and relaxed, as to not escalate the situation further. "Getting riled up I see. I offer you and the lady my services but you take it a threat. Did you get hit in the head yesterday, or does threatening city guards usually work for you?" As Hellenbert speaks these words, he slightly tugs his cloak to show the man that it bears two insignia's: a coat of arms 'a shield party per pale, first a flame on yellow field in the second a sword ablaze on a white field' below a symbol familiar to anyone who has spend more than a few minutes in or around the city of Menora: the insignia of the city watch. Hellenbert smiles, believing he still has the upper hand in all this: "And I don't think you want to do that".

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus and Hellenbert
Caedus grimaces, but hilds his ground. He doesn't do anything too hasty yet, but is ready to jump if necessary. "Didn't seem like you were offering much help to me." he examines Hellenbert, once more trying to imagine if he could take on the other man in combat. "You have but one moment to explain exactly what your plan is before we part ways, I would rather not have it come to blows here, though that is what it seems like you were going for."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus smirks, wondering if the other lord is thinking of their encounter in Senshenk Woods.

"I can tell that you and your family have put great care into the upkeep of this home. It does not surprise me that decades of history have sewed strong roots in this place," he says, admiring the beautiful, almost ominous tree. The young lord imagines what it might be like to have grown up with such a thing in his own backyard. As he waits, his mind begins to race with the many threads of intrigue running through the city, and he grows anxious — wondering if taking a tour of an estate is the best use of their time.

"You and Dustin seem to know a great deal of the nobles and knights of this city. Do you know anything about what sort of faces we might be up against at tomorrow's tourney? I suppose strategic advisement is just as important as physical training when it comes to such challenges."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Oh, of course," Carl responds with a grin, as Valcus brings up the tournament entrants. "With any luck, you might even meet one of them soon! A close friend of mine will be entering, and she usually visits when she is in town, so she may just join us here in the gardens. Which events will you be entering? I might not be able to think of them all on my own, but any I miss, I'm sure Dustin can give you later."
Hellenbert, Caedus
Johanna lets out a deep sigh as the threats continue to escalate among the men before her, and as people in the distance begin to take notice of their conversation and begin to look on. "Are you men, or children?" she asks, placing her hands on her hips and looking at the two of you disapprovingly. "If you seek to fight so bad, do it tomorrow, at the melee." She then turns to Hellenbert, narrowing her eyes at the man as he shows the crests he bear.

"And you. What would the Queen think of you if she knew you stooped to showing her crest to support aggression against one of her guests, a visiting knight no less? Will you antagonize all of the other tourney entrants as well? Treat them as suspicious criminals to be interrogated? If you value your position among the guard, I'd suggest you think about where you stand, who you are speaking to, and how this can end for you if you don't walk away." 
Hellenbert
The look in the coyote's eyes feels like more than just a disapproving glare, but something else, something stronger. You see a glint in her eyes, and feel an air of dread as your own eyes meet hers, and you can't help but to feel some amount of fear as her gaze pierces yours. You are unsure what it means, but it seems possible that this feeling is why she has earned such an imposing nickname among those who fear her.
Caedus
You feel a tingle on the back of your neck as Johanna speaks to the other man, an involuntary sense of dread that is hard to shake. You can tell from the few instances you've seen - and experienced - her magical abilities that she seems to be preparing to use them once more, perhaps in case the knight before you refuses to back down.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus and Hellenbert
At Johanna's words, Caedus begins trying to reel himself back, though still ready to unleash a rapid punch if Hellenbert were to provoke him further. He takes a half step back, glancing between the pair of them when he suddenly hesitates further, a hint of fear flashing across his face at the dread that shoots through him. He hadn't really considered, for a moment, who exactly was next to him as this guard threatened his place here, and things were quickly getting scarier than he intended. "I think we can all just walk away, nothing worse needs to happen, I think." He says, trying to de-escalate things.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Both the lists and the melee for us two," Drake replies to Dustin. "Who might that be?" He asks, curious to learn who may be joining them.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Aye. The long road's kept my sword arm strong, but it's been a while since I've been in the saddle and even longer since I've held a bow. I could use all the help I can get," Valcus admits. At mention of a friend, his eyebrow raises. "Would that be Ser Emrys?"
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert and Caedus
Hellenbert takes a step back as the woman's glare sends chills down his spine. He calms down a bit, and replies collectedly: "I'll take my leave then. I know none of this makes sense, and I won't let you and sir meathead play me for a fool. And always remember my dear lady, I'll do whatever I damn well deem necessary to protect my queen and city." Then Hellenbert walks off, turns around and with a devious smirk on his face, adds one last remark: "Oh, and do you really think the queen cares enough that she wants to hear your complaints about me? That's the biggest compliment I have had in ages."
OOC
Hellenbert continues towards his earlier destination; the large camp outside the city.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen eyes the apparent favorite tree with curiosity, noting the strange symbols and carvings marked into the bark. "And what are those symbols carved into it?" the elf asks, stepping slightly closer to the tree. He looks back at Carl for a moment, making sure it's acceptable for him to get a closer look. "I can imagine a witch being behind those," he adds with a smirk.

He chuckles slightly as the young lords begin seeking information on their competition. They're really taking this seriously. But who knows, maybe that'll help with our investigation too.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Hellenbert and Caedus
As Hellenbert turns to leave, Caedus spends all of his willpower urging his body not to respond. He desperately wants to start a fight right here, right now- glaring daggers into the back of the man's skull. "Just let me..." Caedus uttered under his breath, almost begging for permission to unload on this pompous prick of a guard.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Caedus
You can see Johanna prepared to speak again as the man begins to leave, but she clearly changes her mind as she does not say a word. She simply watches as he continues they way he'd been going, back through the forest road, presumably headed back to the city interior. A frown still streaks across his face, and when he is well out of earshot, she turns to you.

"That gods damned hothead," she exclaims, letting out a deep sigh afterwards. "What is he thinking? And what is he rambling on about us being suspicious?" Her words are clearly rhetorical, and not actual questions posed to you, but as she notices your gazes she stops.

"Sorry," she begins again, now looking towards you with a look of annoyance. "That fool has done a lot of stupid things in his years, but nothing so bold before. Though you didn't have to provoke him. You are supposed to be a knight, try to have more dignity," she continues, her words like those of an elder scolding you. "I know it's all an act, but it's important to keep the act up. Now an upstart in the guard thinks we are being shady." She sighs again, before placing a hand on your shoulder.

"I'm going to head to the Tower, let the Princess know that this jackass is trying to stir something up. I can't imagine he is one of the people we are looking for, otherwise he'd not have made such a scene. But she needs to know so she can have someone confront him. You good to keep interrogating on your own until I am back?"
Hellenbert
Neither of the two say anything more as you leave, though when you turn back to make your final jab, you can see the clear frustration and eagerness to fight in the knight's eyes. He does nothing further, though, and you continue the trek back through the words, past the homes and buildings outside the walls, towards the city's main gate. From there, well off the road, near the forest's edge, you can see a large, sprawling encampment of people. It appears to be made up of several hundred people, if not more.

Drawing closer to the camp, you can see that it is being patrolled on its loose borders by a series of armed men and women, who look to be clad in makeshift arms and armor. It is unclear if they are a unified group, or just a ragtag bunch of combat-trained members of the camp who have chosen to protect it, but it is clear from up close that most - if not all - of those defending the others are of Serran descent. 

Stranger still, you can see a large collection of carts and wagons being tended to by several people, some of whom you recognize in passing as being servants of the castle. They are being directed to distribute food and linens from these wagons to others in the camp, and are being assisted by more of the armed Serran natives you saw on patrol. The cherry on top of the unexpected setup comes as you move further within the mass of people and wagons, where you find who is leading the distribution. Standing next to a now-empty cart, and hunched over a large ledger, you see a man you had not expected to see out of the tower, let alone in a camp outside the walls: none other than Lord Cumberland himself, the queen's steward. Your shock at seeing him here is on exacerbated by seeing your long-time rival, Ser Hansel Aldwell.
Carl opens his mouth to respond to Drake, but is beaten to the punch by Valcus' follow-up question. You can tell that he seems shocked to hear the name coming from Valcus' mouth, but he smiles wide all the same. "You know Emrys?" he asks, pleasantly surprised as he hears the knight's guess. "And yes, she is indeed the friend I was referring to. We all grew up together, and now that her sister is betrothed to Dustin, she makes more of an effort to return to the capital to see us when she can. I can say I'm certainly excited to see her again," he continues, his face flushing slightly as the last words escape his lips. 

Carl turns, a look of curiosity on his face as Caelen poses his own question. "Oh, those?" he asks, as the symbols on the tree are pointed out. He chuckles nervously, stepping over to look at them as well. "Nothing so ominous, or old. No, those are just... well, it's a little embarrassing, but remnants of our childhood."
Caelen
As the two of you draw closer, Caelen can clearly see that the symbols resemble the text 'D + C' with a shoddily drawn heart around them. Over time, the growth of the tree and new layers of bark have warped the shape of the heart and letters, but close inspection makes it obvious their purpose.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Ah Ser Emrys," Drake says, slightly surprised by Valcus' guess. Madame Barschal mentioned she would be competing in the tourney but that would be quite the reach, he thinks, wondering how Valcus knew.

"Her and I, are actually fairly well acquainted," Drake says to Carl. "We've tilted at each other many a time in the lists. So many in fact I couldn't even tell you who comes out on top overall," he says. She still has four on me, after the tourney at Darrenor.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen fails to hide a smirk as the nature of the letter becomes clear to him. Kinda endearing, really. They've been close for a long time. He shrugs to Carl, giving him a warm smile. "You've all known each other a long time then. I can see why you'll be glad to see her again." She certainly seems more enjoyable to be around than her sister... Poor Dustin.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
Hellenbert, still angry at his earlier encounter, does not feel like interacting, but courtesy demands otherwise."Greetings, lord Cumberland, ser Hansel. How do you fare today?" Hellenbert bows politely. Let's get this out of the way, so I can continue my search.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus
He frowns a bit as Hellenbert leaves, before turning to Johanna and listening to her words. He nods in response; "I'll stay within this area, and I'll try not to get in any more trouble than I'm already in." He says with the briefest smirk before returning to a more serious face. He will give her a polite bow before she leaves. Finally being left alone, he breathes a sigh of relief, and momentarily considers making an escape... But decided against it, figuring he's made too large of a scene now to try and leave quietly. He begins to make his way through the crowd, stopping periodically to interact politely with fans if and when any tried to talk to him, though mostly he walked around looking for other competitors.

Mechanics
Perception (to look for competitors): [1d20+8]=13+8=21
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I know of her," Valcus clarifies in response to Carl's question. "From you, I recall. Last night at the Pinnacle, with Dustin and Caelen."

"Are you?" he says to Drake, pleasantly surprised at the man's familiarity with the fellow knight. "It sounds like an informal reunion is in order for this morning." He smiles warmly, choosing to ignore the markings on the tree — hesitant to embarrass their host any further. He notices the young man flush when speaking of Ser Emrys. Perhaps there is more there, but it is not for me to pry.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Drake, Caelen, Valcus, Ghor
"Ah, right," Carl responds, offering a nervous chuckle in response to Valcus. "I vaguely remember her coming up. We were all drinking, so I admittedly don't recall the entire evening's events." His nervousness is replaced by a look of confused excitement as Drake speaks of his own experiences with the knight.

"Truly?" he asks, seeming shocked by the words. "Well, then I guess you know her skill better than most. It will be exciting to see you square off against her again! I, uh," he begins, before switching to a more apologetic tone. "Well, I will be rooting for her if you end up on the lists against one another. But I will be rooting for you guys in any other case. Though, Caelen," he continues before turning to face the young elf.

"If Robyn does show up, and you two end up competing, I hope you win. I know I mentioned her last night. It would do her good to be knocked down a peg or two. She may be family, but boy does she have an attitude. I hope she shows so you can meet her, though. She knows the woods better than most, and can probably give you some pointers for once you are leaving to return home."
Hellenbert
"Ah, well if it isn't Adelhart's boy," the steward says, turning from his ledger and offering a warm smile as you approach. At his words, Ser Hansel turns to face you as well.

"Well met, Ser Hellenbert," the man responds, offering you a respectful nod and a smile as well. As he speaks, one of the servants who had been rushing about approaches him, and he turns back to respond, their conversation mostly about where to bring a basket of potatoes that the woman is carrying.

"What brings you to the refugee camp? Am I being summoned back to the tower already?" he asks, his expression now more quizzical than it had been before.
OOC
You would not have any knowledge of the camp, or any reason to expect their to be refugees, or what they might be refugees from. This would be the first time, both IC and before you joined the IC, that Hellenbert had heard of any such thing.
Caedus
"Good," Johanna responds tersely, moving to head towards the tower. She takes a step, before turning to face you again. "Thank you," she says, now more politely, before she turns and walks away. You see her head for the same section of paved ground you had used to enter the tower for your dalliance, and the ground glows before she disappears from view.

Wandering back towards the area full of tents and tables, you find that many of the people you come across are clearly other competitors, or there as support for them. Some of them are fully armored, likely having been sparring, or preparing to spar soon as practice. Others lounge inside tents near their unworn suits of armor, or at the tables in the eating area. Some glance your way, though others simply ignore you and continue about your business. As you glance around, an oddly familiar voice comes from off to your side.

"Well, well, well," comes the deep, jovial voice of a man you know you've seen before. "If it isn't the Talon of Tanon himself," the man continues, stepping into view as you turn to face his direction. He is large and imposing, as physically imposing as the orc you faced in the Pinnacle the night before. His simple tunic is stretched tight across his muscled physique, with body hair showing on all portions of skin that are revealed, primarily his upper chest and arms. His finally trimmed beard is jet black, though speckled with bits of grey, showing the man's age. He holds in his hand a large wooden practice weapon in the shape of a warhammer.

"You look much more imposing in your armor," he continues, as you realize who he is to you. "Though it is much too clean!" he adds, with a hearty laugh. You remember him from the night before, at the pinnacle. He'd been talking with the two lords in the spectator's balcony while you spoke with Elgan, and he had the unfortunate luck of being matched with the Specter - or rather, the Princess.

"I was wondering when I'd see you out here. You were phenomenal in the final bout, I watched it all. But that was then, and hand-to-hand. I can't wait to see what you're really made of, here in the melee tomorrow. From your presence, I guess you're entering?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

I've never seen Lord Aerden joust, Valcus realizes. I am sure he lives up to the stories I've heard. After all, we've seen him show himself when faced against real enemies.

At the mention of Robyn, Valcus' ears perk up. "You are kin to her?" he asks, curious of the exact relationship. She shows fealty to the Princess and Johanna, at least.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"That's understandable," Drake replies to Carl with a smile. I wonder who Dustin would back, he thinks, recalling Dustin's excitement when they first met.

Interesting. We have stumbled on quite the web of connections, Drake thinks, as Carl mentions Robyn being family.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen is taken slightly aback from Carl's encouragement when it comes to the upcoming tourney, but he musters up a rare, confident smile. "Her and her companions could all stand that. We ran into them this morning..." His voice trails, recalling the harsh comments they'd made towards him and his skills. "But I'll remember your words when I've got my bow drawn."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Valcus, Drake, Caelen, Ghor
"Oh, how interesting," Carl responds, raising an eyebrow as Caelen explains their previous meeting. "I guess that confirms she will be competing, then. And given that you saw her in the woods, it also confirms my suspicion that she'd avoid the estate," he says, his feelings appearing to be mixed on that news.

Turning to Valcus, he continues, "yes, we are family. Not blood related, but she was taken in by my father in her youth, raised as a ward of the Elmwood family and basically an older sister to me. She didn't exactly get along with father, though, so she left a few months back. It was a whole ordeal, most of the city knows about it given all the damage she did." Carl chuckles slightly at the last words, seeming to not be as upset about the departure as his father clearly was. "Definitely don't bring her name up if you end up talking to him, he'll be in a bad mood all week."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Interesting, what are the chances?" Drake says, surprised by the revelation that Robyn was a ward of the Elmwoods. These court politics seem so unimportant now.

"Noted," he adds, heeding Carl's warning."What damage did she cause?" He asks, unsure if Carl simply means damage to her relationships or something else.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen grimaces as Carl's words move past his ears, also growing curious as to the reckless damage she caused. She certainly seemed impulsive enough for it... "And she's still allowed in the tournament, even with what she did? I'd have thought the organizers wouldn't want her near it." Then again, maybe the princess had a role there.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
Hellenbert looks somewhat shocked at the mention of the refugees. He'd had expected to see a large group of refugees coming before they'd arrive. Refugees? Well this is new, and a surprise. The city guards intelligence is usually better than this... Or was I held in the dark? That'd be infuriating. Hellenbert, scrapes his throat to appear less dumbfounded and replies: "Oh no. You have not been summoned, lord Cumberland. My visit today is all pleasure. I was just taking a stroll after visiting the tourney grounds. But hold on, where do these people come from?"
Last edited by BartNL on Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus listens closely, finding it odd and yet fortuitous that Robyn is kin to Carl. The more allies we share, the better. He wonders what sort of damage the woman might have done.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Drake, Caelen, Valcus, Ghor
"Oh, more damage to his pride and reputation than anything," Carl responds, smirking as he recalls the events leading up to Robyn's departure. "She yelled at him - publicly - about all of her grievances. How he is a terrible father to me, to her, and to some of my older siblings who have already moved out of the estate. You could say she aired his dirty laundry, and it was not a good look for him." He lightly chuckles before continuing.

"That said, she did end up burning several of his hunting trophies in a small bonfire in the street in front of the house, and she wrecked his study as she was leaving. He was livid, to say the least," Carl continues, it clear from his face that he enjoyed all of Robyn's actions against his father.

"Of course you'd be back here," comes a voice from down the path, which all of you would recognize as belonging to Dustin. The man walks further til he reaches where you are all gathered. "I thought you'd be back at the target range, but it was empty."
Hellenbert
"From the west," the man responds, a somber tone in his voice as he speaks. "Two young rulers arrived to the city with them yesterday, and we are aiding them as best we can until a more permanent solution can be found," he continues, his tone suggesting to you that there is more to the story than he is letting on.

Ser Hansel finishes his conversation with the servant, turning to rejoin yours. "Yes, Lilly was quite insistent," he says, the steward frowning as he hears the casual nickname for the princess being uttered. "Sent us both down here early in the morning with orders of what to bring. I'd thought to get more sleep, but it is for a good cause," he continues, offering a shrug.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus wears a thinly veiled smile as Carl retells his sister's fiery departure, finding some humor and understanding in her rebellion. I suppose her return to the city will take some of the attention off of ourselves, he hopes.

The knight turns at Dustin's call. "A tour was in order," he explains warmly, his smile widening. "Though I do hear the call of the targets. I am sure Ghor, here, would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate his might once more. You recall our friend, yes? From yesterday. He fought a close match with the Talon of Tanon." Valcus turns back to Ghor. "This is Dustin Holsworth, who helped us find the Pinnacle."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
Western lords... Western lords?! Those must be the men I've been looking for. Doing well in the tournament helps their cause, and this camp is a cause if I've ever seen any. And it seems our princess agrees. Hellenbert replies trying to not sound to eager after finding the likely subjects of his chase: "Why did these people leave their land and homes, and would those western lords be the same that entered the tourney?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Drake laughs as Carl describes Robyn's dramatic exit from the Elmwood estate. "Having met her, I can't say I'm all too surprised," he says, recalling her initial attitude towards them.

"Good to see you Dustin," the young lord says, greeting Dustin with a nod as he joins the group.

Ah yes, I suppose introductions are in order. With a proper retinue we would have a herald for all that business. Courtly protocol was never my forte, he thinks as Valcus introduces Ghor.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus
Caedus wanders for a little while, appreciating the sights and sounds before he finds himself stopped. He gave a polite smile to the imposing man, nodding slightly; "What can I say, I take cleaning my armor as a task of pride. Can't go into battle without making sure my armor is in top shape, of course." he nods, thanking him quietly as the man prases his performance in the previous night's brawl; "That is the intention, I will be there, ready to give it my all. I hope to do better than third place this time, but we'll see where it goes." he chuckled softly. "Perhaps with my real armor and weapons I'll have a better chance at it." he says, feeling fairly confident in himself but not wanting to oversell his skill. "You'll be fighting too, I assume?"
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Hellenbert
The steward looks to you a moment, seeming to ponder your question, before responding. "I do not know all of the details myself, but it appears that things on the coast are not good right now. There are a mix of people here from a large portion of the southern coast and the Grey Plains. I doubt it is one single cause," he continues, seeming to watch you for your response to his words.

"Yes, they are one and the same," Ser Hansel responds, at your question regarding the tourney. "The madam showed me their entries just yesterday. Valcus Torinn, Lord of the Twin Rivers, and Drake Aerden, Lord of the Spear. I cannot say I've ever heard of the first man, but Drake is one to watch out for, especially in the joust. He's managed to unseat Ser Emrys a few times, so I've definitely got my eye on him," he continues, a competitive fire visible in the man's eyes as he speaks.
OOC
By 'the madam' you know Hansel to be referring to Madam Beatrice Barschal, the queen's closest advisor and the organizer of the tourney. (see our discussion in discord for more info). Ser Emrys (also mentioned in discord awhile back) is the favored to win the joust currently, a famed cavalry commander and member of the otherwise fairly minor Stane family).
Caedus
"That's the spirit," the man says, giving another hearty laugh as he jovially claps you on the back with his free hand. "A man is never truly complete without his armor and weapon in hand. The melee is the best place to feel alive," he continues, offering a wide grin.

"Aye, I'll be there," he continues, when prompted about his place in the tournament. "I never miss a tourney. Wouldn't do for my reputation if I were to skip out, especially on one as big and important as this. Wouldn't miss it for the world," he continues, adjusting his stance to a more proud pose as he says the last words.

"So, my friend, which events will you be competing in? Just the melee, or you plan to try your hand at the joust or archery too?"
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Caedus
Caedus gives a hearty laugh as the other man does, smiling widely. "I intend to take part in both the jousting and the archery, I believe a good knight should be a master of all styles of combat, or at least make a damn good attempt." He chuckles a bit. "It'll be an excellent test to see if I'm as good at those other two as I think I am," Caedus said, before trailing off slightly. "I apologize for my rudeness, I don't believe I've asked your name yet; who do I have the joy of talking to this afternoon? I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about you before the melee. I like to get to know my opponents before we fight, gives it real meaning." He says.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

"Ah, yes, the talent scout. Already got an earful about that. Wouldn't mind a redo."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
And so the pieces fall into place, this makes three. Hellenbert's eyes flare as he hears his intuition was correct. "Thanks for the heads-up, ser Hansel. Those armed guards, am I correct that they are Serran? Any armed force outside our gates sounds like a lot of work for the city guard, and I have a tight schedule already with the tournament starting soon." Hellenbert jokes, but the undertone is serious. "May I take your leave to find the lords of Twin Rivers and The Spear? I don't doubt the captains of the guard would like a word with those two."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Ah," Valcus responds. "You two have already met, then?" He cracks a smile. "Of course. It seems Dustin is keen to find talent whenever it steps foot in his city."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen is almost taken by surprise as he hears Dustin's voice ring out from afar. A smile begins to spread across his face, though he does his best to tone it down. We're here for a purpose. Maybe those two can find out more about his dad while I'm practicing. He gives Dustin a quick wave and grin. "We were wondering when you'd get here. Glad you could make it."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Lord Atherton should pay you a commission. It sounds like you find half his fighters for him," Drake says to Dustin with a chuckle. No doubt he has the coin to.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus chuckles at his fellow lord's jest. "How is it that you became so well-connected around this city?" he asks earnestly. No doubt in part to the privileges his father's status affords him, but he seems to cast his own shadow as well.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Valcus, Drake, Ghor, Caelen
"Yes, we met right before I met the rest of you," Dustin replies, return the warm smile he's given by Valcus and the others. He offers Drake a return nod, and Caelen a wave as well, as he listens to everyone speak.

"You give me too much credit," he responds, nervous placing his hand to his had as he offers a small chuckle in response.

"You really do," Carl continues with a smirk, before shooting Dustin a knowing look.

"I just happened to come across all of you around the same time, I don't really actively recruit for the Pinnacle. I'm just a big fan, so if I see someone I know would be a good fit, I always let them know," he continues, as he lowers his hand, maintaining a nervous grin. "Glad it worked out and you guys put on a great show, though!"
Caedus
"Ah, the apologies are all mine, friend," the large man responds, as you ask for his name. "Most people already know me by sight, so I am unaccustomed to introductions," he continues, offering another hearty chuckle. Once done, he extends his large hand towards yours to shake.

"Ser Rodrick Karst," the man says, smiling as the two of you shake hands. "Though, like you, most know me by my moniker, 'the Hammer.' I don't much like to brag, but I'm pretty well known in the tourney circuit, especially in and around Menora."
Hellenbert
"Yes, they are indeed Serranborn," the the knight responds. "A mercenary group under the leadership of the lords in question, from what I've gathered. Some of their entourage remains with the camp to keep things organized, so they are not a threat from what we can tell. They seem to be focused solely on the safety of the refugees they're escorting."

"I spoke with both men not long ago," the Steward continues, at your request to take your leave. "From what I heard, their next stop was going to be the Circus in the market square. It seems they are acquainted with the troupe somehow, so you might find them there."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Glad our efforts were of some entertainment," Valcus says, returning the grin. "The aches I had this morning made me question myself."

He shifts posture, eager to either train or gain intrigue, unhappy to linger. "Well then, shall we return to the target-shooting?" the knight asks. "And have you any idea when is Ser Emrys set to arrive?"
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hellenbert
For now they may be no threat. Discipline means less risk, but more potential threat. What if the refugees run out of cash? Need to find these lords, and see what they are up to. "Thank you lord Cumberland, ser Hansel. I will take my leave then. Hellenbert bows and takes his leave. He follows lord Cumberland's advice and sets out for the circus.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Spoiler
Caedus nodded, offering a polite smile. "Always a pleasure to meet another like myself." He laughs a bit, "Well known, hm? I suppose I know who I'm gonna have to take out first then, right? Or perhaps, who to avoid." He shrugged a bit, before looking around. "It's truly exciting to join big tournaments like this, getting to meet so many people and all. I suppose I should ask, do you know the other contestants very well? If you would pick someone, who would you say is your biggest competition?" He asks, relaxing as he tries to pick Rodrick's brain for who to look out for.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Likewise, although I can't complain too much given the extra weight of my coinpurse." Drake says, agreeing with Valcus. He looks to Carl and Dustin as Valcus brings up the original reason for their visit. If Ser Emrys is coming I wonder if there's anywhere to train for the joust or the melee. Not that training against your biggest competitor is advisable, he wonders.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Aye, let's," Caelen says, having almost forgotten the original intent was practicing for the upcoming tourney. "Need all the practice I can get if I'm to beat Robyn..." For my sake and Carl's.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Valcus, Drake, Caelen, Ghor
"Oh," Dustin responds to Valcus with a nervous smile, scratching the back of his head involuntarily in response. "Who knows? I am assuming she will walk over with Miriam, and she can take awhile to wake up and start the day in the mornings."

"Yes, of course. Back to practice. I need it as well," Carl responds with a smirk, as he steps forward, patting Dustin on the shoulder before he begins to lead you back the way you'd came. "All of you are welcome to join in, even if you are not planning to compete in the archery contest," he continues as he walks.
Hellenbert
Headed back towards the city, you notice that some of the people at the encampment eye you with suspicion. However, they are soon out of view again as you step through the city gates, receiving some knowing nods from the men stationed there. Once within the walls, you take a left and head down the main street of the city towards the market square, where the traveling circus set up shop for a second time yesterday. They'd visited a few months prior before headed west, but it seems they have doubled-back to Menora for now, and the citizenry couldn't be more thrilled to have extra entertainment leading into the major events of the coming days.

As you walk, you find the street packed with families, young couples, and groups of friends all flocking to the market to witness the performances. There is a fire breather, a fortune teller, and a tamer of snakes. There are duels between various combatants, likely staged to look as flashy and suspenseful as possible. In between each of the main stages, a large man with a glorious beard is perched on decorated platform. He holds a large spear and wears beautiful ceremonial clothing, clearly of Serran make, as his booming voice draws in crowds and advertises the various events being shown off. From their previous visit, you know this man to be Mutar, the owner and ringleader of the Magnificent Mutar's Traveling Circus.
Caedus
The man offers another hearty chuckle at your words, responding, "I certainly hope you don't avoid me out there. I've been wanting to go up against you since last night, it would be a shame if we don't get to meet in the ring." He listens as you question the competition you'll be up against, raising an eyebrow at the query.

"I assumed a man of as much prowess and renown as yourself would be more aware of the competition, but I guess if you don't know me, it is not a surprise you don't know the others." He pauses a moment, placing a hand on his chin as he thinks. "Which competition are you wondering about? Or do you simply want information on all the big shots?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I'm open to giving it a go. I don't think I've shot a bow since my father's master of arms trained me as a boy," Drake says following after Carl back towards the archery range. "If I'm as terrible as I suspect, we can always spar in preparation for the melee," he adds turning to Valcus. "I think we're well acquainted which each other's swordplay by now, but I'm sure we've each still got a move or two up our sleeves."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen smirks at Drake's jabs at himself, almost surprised that the young lord didn't stay more versed in archery. "Who knows? Some things, you never forget," the elf says, pulling out his bow as they make their way back towards the range. "And if you did, I'm sure Dustin wouldn't mind seeing that spar up close." He was quite a fan last night, that's for certain.