A Tale of Two Orphans — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Tulrissian Unification IC

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"We can only hope," Caelen replies to the orc, worried that the night creatures may rise again. "Without a proper burial, I fear those people who got killed by wolves may join us again." It would be a massacre if they do...

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Daria frowns at Caelen's words, remembering his mention of the night creatures from earlier in the day. "Only superstitions, lad," Karmin says earnestly, as he draws nearer. The caravan has now completely halted with the front lines no longer moving, and many in the back seem relieved at the prospect of rest. Some begin setting up their bedrolls, some others merely lie on the ground without any preparations being made.

"I'd not speak so boldly," Mutar replies, approaching from not far behind the Mayor, having dismounted his carriage for the evening. "To many they are, but we who've spent most of our lives on the roads, traveling from town to town, have on rare occasions had the misfortune of running into... things on the road. Unnatural creatures, like the ones from the tales."

"Have ya, now?" Karmin replies, eyebrows raised. "And you're not just trying your showman's tricks to get a rise?"

Mutar smirks. "You are not paying me for a show now, are you?" he replies, before the smirk quickly fades to a quite serious look. "I've no reason to trick you, I assure you I speak true. But I've never traveled in a group so large, and the creatures - when present at all - are few in number, and usually found quite far from civilization. I doubt we've much to fear from them."

"I can only hope you're right, sir," Daria responds, her face still showing signs of worry as she glances off into the woods. "I don't know if I could bear to face such a thing..."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus grimaces at the mayor's ignorance on the matter. "I'm afraid Mutar's telling the truth. When I began this journey, I was of the same mind as you. I thought they were a farce."

Visions of battling the grisly, undead figures play out in his mind as he looks deep into the forests around him. "And now?" he says, the knight's eyes in distant focus. "Well, I wish I could still believe that."

Valcus stares between Daria and Karmin, his face cold. "We are going to need a plan of action, in case of any danger. I want the mercenaries to keep watch in shifts -- those awake will stand guard in a perimeter around the entire caravan. Leave no flank exposed," he commands. Whatever it is... wolves, nightwalkers, Imardanians... We will not be taken easily.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen nods in agreement with the two men, adding, "With so many dead from this war, what once was a superstition is now a reality." Turning back towards the bulk of the caravan, now veiled in darkness, the elf grows concerned that something terrible may happen. These are innocent lives. They must be protected. Not wanting to get caught off guard, he begins scanning the treeline in hopes of spotting danger before it's too late.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception to see if anything dangerous is lurking or whatever: 6(1d20) +13 = 19

Also, any non-elf ally within 5 squares who does a perception check gets a +1 bonus[/sblock]

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=Caelen]There are many sounds to be heard, not least of which the various moans, groans, and faint conversations of the refugees and mercenaries further back along the road. What you can hear coming from the trees is, as far as you can tell, mundane animal sounds like one would expect to hear in a forest. You do not hear any howling or shambling.[/sblock]

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

The elf breathes a sigh of relief as all he hears are the ambient sounds of the forest. Reporting his findings, he says, "We seem to be safe for now, but we shouldn't lower our guard."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"These woods bring me dread. My guard has been up since we entered them," Valcus admits. "Watch shifts -- Ghor, can you take the first shift? I can take the next. Won't be able to sleep anyhow."

The knight turns to the elf. "Caelen, are you alright with the final shift?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

The elf nods to his knight companion. "Of course, though I can only hope this night remains uneventful. These people have been through enough, after all." Caelen sighs as he glances back at the worn faces of the refugees. Let us hope the Queen is a charitable one.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I don't mind helping with the watch," Daria chimes in, hearing the orders being given out. She raises her eyebrow a bit at the fact the carnival strongman was given an assignment before herself. "Should whoever is in charge of each watch shift patrol the perimeter of the caravan to make sure the mercenaries remain alert?"

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Aye, Ser Daria." Valcus looks back at the mostly-Serran mercenaries. "A watch shift for the watch shift," he says. "Don't want anyone falling asleep and leaving a flank exposed."

Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

Ghor shrugs at Valcus's request, then puts on a weary smile. "Sure. The sight of such a strong guardian keeping watch should put them at ease."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Mutar approaches the front of the caravan, having overhead a bit of the conversation from the party leadership. "Admirable of you to aid these folk, Ghor," the man says to his fellow carnie with a grin, clapping the man on the back. "I'll volunteer myself for these watch shifts as well, if you'll have me," he continues, turning towards Valcus and Drake, the obvious leaders of the group.

"I am fine taking first shift with Ghor," Drake says, "so feel free to rest up a bit and take second or third shift," he responds to Mutar, before looking to Valcus for his opinion on the matter.

"I can take whatever shift you deem appropriate as well," Daria adds, turning more towards Valcus than Drake.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus nods to the volunteers. "Great to hear. Mutar, would you watch on the second shift with me? That leaves Ser Daria and Caelen to cover until dawn."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Mutar and Daria agree to their assignments and head to rest, as Ghor and Drake remain awake for the first watch shift. They patrol the perimeter of the caravan, informing the mercenaries to be on alert for any movement in the woods, lest some sort of ambush come after them. About an hour and a half into the first watch the scout finally returns from the walls of Menora, informing the men that at the pace the party has been moving the trip will likely be at least a few more hours. She guesses, if the leave earlier enough, they should arrive shortly before or after noon.

The rest of the watch shifts pass by unusually uneventfully. Everyone is a bit on edge with all of the sounds and shapes moving throughout the woods, but no attacks come - beast or otherwise - and morning arrives without any sort of action of note. As before, a number of those who were already sick, old, or injured before the trip began have succumbed in their sleep, as well as a few others from exhaustion, and one boy who ventured into the woods and was attacked by wolves. Once more their families desire proper burials, especially after some have overheard the party leaders' mention of night creatures.

[sblock=Mechanics]There are a total of 26 confirmed deaths this evening. Like the previous night, most seem to be those who were already ill, old, or injured. However, at least five seem to be in part due to exertion from traveling longer than the group was prepared to travel, and one is from a young boy trying to help forage, getting lost, and attacked by wolves.

As before, the families of the deceased would like to bury their dead. Now that you have shovels this will be significantly easier than the previous morning, though only physically. The emotional toll is no lesser then before, and you can tell that the caravan's morale is really dropping after the long travel, deaths, and lack of aid from Red Bridge.

Supplies Updates
Food consumed: 1140 lbs (distributed as evenly as possible among the various types)
Food foraged: 208 lbs (all sorts of small game, such as squirrels, small birds, etc. Also a few deer and various edible nuts and berries from the forest)[/sblock]

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Twenty-six, Valcus reminds himself as he gets to digging graves as soon as he can. Some of them most likely because we pushed them too hard. There is a pit in his stomach, and the knight feels like he might retch. But he doesn't -- he plunges the metal point of his spade into the soft earth over and over, the repetitive and lonely deed bringing him some sort of solace. They are not your fault. But he doesn't believe the words.

When he eventually finishes burying the fallen as best he can, Valcus approaches the others in the honor-guard. He wears a tired frown as he counts heads before him, ensuring his friends and allies are accounted for. "A few hours, the scout told us. A few hours, and then we are at the mercy of the Queen."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Hoping to get the caravan moving as soon as possible, the elf assists his knight ally in digging the graves of the night's fallen. At least their suffering has finally ended and they may be at peace. He hopes this is the truth at least, unsure if the burial is proper enough to stop the dead from rising again.

As they finish the burials, Caelen breathes a sigh of relief. He nods to Valcus, replying, "We shouldn't keep Her Majesty waiting then. Let's hope Menora welcomes us with open arms."

Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

In the morning, Ghor shows up to help bury the dead. He is dressed more drably today, his moustache hanging low instead of being styled, and his mood more somber. Putting his back into it, the big orc moves a lot of earth, but he flinches a bit when moving the bodies.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Drake and Daria join in to aid with the digging, and following the examples set by their superiors, many of the mercenaries begin to help as well. It takes the group a little over an hour to complete the many needed burials, though the families of the deceased are happy for the show of goodwill. Though many are disheartened by the deaths occurring in the first place, it is clear that the burials have helped to put their minds at ease about their coming travels.

With the dead buried the caravan is free to move once more, the party at the head as usual. The refugees move as slowly as ever, but, as the scout predicted, it is only a few hours of travel before the walls of Menora loom in the distance. The treeline ends and the gleaming tower is visible, watching over the surrounding landscape in its immaculate splendor. It is by far the jewel of Tulrisse in these times, and though not all of you had been here before, all had heard tales of the city.

The city itself is perched on a large hill, with its entrance gate up a narrow, winding road that extends part of the way up the hillside. As you exit the forest and approach the foot of the hill, Karmin says, "It doesn't look like the city is sealed, but it may be best if we don't all enter at once." He looks to the group for their input on the matter, finishing off with, "There are a large number of us, best we not become a burden unless it is a welcome one. Don't want to get their hopes up if we have to leave, either."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Should just be a small contingent of us heading in," Valcus says. "Lord Aerden and myself are obvious choices -- Caelen, Ghor... Ser Daria -- you three are more than welcome." He looks over the caravan, spying Rorin and Embla. "I think with Karmin and the others here, that should be enough to keep morale and things in order."

Nodding toward the entrance to Menora, the knight begins trudging forward on foot. "Weapons sheathed, bows slung behind us. We need to show them we are allies, not threats."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"We will be joining you," says Mutar, who continues forward with his group as the rest of the caravan halts. "We appreciate you getting us out of Red Bridge, but this is as far as we go for now. It's been some weeks since we've been to Menora. If it is safe, I'm sure there is more coin to be had here for a few more days. If not, I hope you don't mind our company until you reach Bal," the man continues with a smirk.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Very well," Valcus agrees, having no interest in keeping the man and his crew where they do not wish. "Your company has been well-appreciated. If the Queen sends us toward the dwarves, then I suppose we'll have one last hurrah."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen nods along as the knight suggests he come along to meet the Queen. Though he had passed through Menora once before, as he and his mother fled from their homeland and into Tulrisse, his memory had blocked much of it out. Eager to see the city and hopefully find a refuge for their weary caravan, he says, "Let's hope it doesn't come to that and that Menora has room to spare."

Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

Ghor moves forward with Mutar's group, though he isn't dressed for a performance and doesn't seem to have snapped out of his gloom from the morning. He manages to give Valcus and Caelen a weak smile and mumbles a thanks for offering to take them in.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Cheer up, big guy," Kiki says to Ghor, walking up from behind the man and patting him on the shoulder. The group - consisting of the main party and Mutar's men, as well as Ser Daria - continue forward along the road headed towards the city. "Think of all the coin we will be making again, everyone loved us here!"

It takes less than a half hour to ascend the shallow, winding road that leads to the main gate to the city. There are guards posted at the entrance, though the gates are wide open and they do not ask your business or otherwise seem on guard. It is as if the city of Menora is completely unconcerned with - or unaware of - the invasion happening in the west.

Once inside the gates, you find a city abuzz with activity. It is reminiscent of a time before the invasion, when people lived relatively peaceful lives and were not under constant fear. This stands in stark contrast to everything you've encountered recently, barring the semi-peacefulness of the secluded Red Bridge.

"Ah, to be back," says Afsheen, who gazes with a large grin towards the hustle and bustle happening all around. "It's been only a few weeks, but at this point it feels like months," the young man adds.

"And to think we only stayed a few days the first time, figuring Red Bridge would be nicer. What fools we were!" chimes in Hassan, the odd fellow half-skipping with some of his snakes in tow. "I can already hear the jingling of my pockets."

"Now I can finish what I started with the blacksmith's son," Marga says, longingly staring down the main road ahead. "Those muscles..."

As the circus performers discuss their plans, Daria looks in awe around the city in front of her, her wandering gaze eventually landing on the awesome tower in the distance. "It's so... grand," she says quietly to herself.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus looks upon the city with similar awe, his eyes squinting toward the top of the tower. The knight had never traveled this far east before, but he had read about Menora in history books as a child. I always thought I would be here out of adventure's sake. Not a war.

The young man sighs, now focused on the city-life around him. "I suppose this is where we will say our goodbyes, then, Mutar." He claps a hand on the ringleader's shoulder smiling softly. "I can't thank you enough for coming along." Valcus turns to the others, nodding to them. "Kiki, Afsheen... Hassan, Marga. All of you -- your company has been well admired."

"And Ghor. The strongest man I've known, hm? Hell, I'd believe that." Valcus extends a hand toward him. "Maybe we'll meet again. Once this war is over."

Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

Ghor takes Valcus' hand, giving him a strong, green handshake. "Right." he says. "When it's over. For now, we have a show to plan." He tries to summon up a more showmanlike demeanor, but the big orc is left a bit hollow by the sudden loss of the greater purpose he had tasted on the road.

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Drake too looks at the tower in wonderment, having never visited Menora before. His travels as a young knight and nobleman had never taken him further North than the Laissen or this far East. He had heard of it from Menoran knights at other feasts and tournaments but had never taken much stock in their words, dimissing a lot of the descriptions of awe inspiring majesty as patriotism.

"Yes your troupe has been a great boon to the caravan in both morale and in battle on our journey here. You will be sorely missed," Drake adds as they say their goodbyes to the travelling circus. Without them we may have experienced even more death on the road.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The city is large, comparable in size to the likes of Virem, though more compact. The terrain in the city, and all around it, is hilly in much the same way as Volberg, though with much more vegetation. The city rises up above you, slowly ascending the primary hill it is situated on and around. The main road from the gate extends not far forward before taking a sharp turn heading to the right and left. From there it seems to curve, upward at the right and downward at the left.

You can see from your current position at the entrance that the right path continues in a winding ascent, with the structures of the town mostly following this main path upwards, terminating at a large structure connected to the base of the tower via a bridge. The left tapers into a much shallower area that appears to be more cramped and busy, suggesting the higher echelons to be home to the more affluent, while the lower elevations feature the more populated districts of the commoners.

At the split, Mutar gives Valcus and the others a nod as he leads the rest of his troupe down the left path, heading towards the market area. The rest of the group take the right path, ascending towards the tower to seek audience with the Queen.

[sblock=Ghor]It is not a long walk from the crossroads to the market below, which is as busy as you can remember it from weeks prior, when last you were here. You'd have all received many glances as you strolled through town, ornate carriages in tow, with many of the city folk expressing excitement to see you. "The circus is back!" a child shouts to his mother, yanking at her dress and pointing.

With a smirk, Afsheen produces some of his balls and begins juggling as he walks, a small taste of the show to come for the slowly-gathering crowd of fans. He adds a few interesting flourishes in when some children approach, to which they delightedly cheer the man on. He turns and gives the others a wink before proceeding to backflip, producing even more cheers.

Mutar looks on, clearly happy to be in a place where the group can earn more coin. When you approach the center of the market square, he leaves to find the local authorities to arrange their temporary stay, and obtain permission to camp the carriages within the walls. The rest of the group begins excitedly unpacking and preparing for the festivities and performances to come, the same as always.

Seeming to notice Ghor's sullenness, Minh approaches the man. She gives him a rare smile, before asking, "¿espato?"

Serran Translation
[SHOW]

"spar?"

[/sblock]
[sblock=Everyone Else]With the circus gone, the remaining four of you continue upwards along the slowly winding main road of the city. It is initially a fairly shallow incline, passing by many shops and the occasional tavern. After awhile the road narrows and becomes steeper, with everything you pass seeming more residential than commercial in nature the higher up you get. The occasional tavern remains a staple sight, but once the road is too steep for a cart to effectively ascend the businesses seem to stop.

There are many side roads you pass along the main road, though none seem to go very far before hitting dead ends, the landscape being too steep to feature more than the one main road. You spot the occasionally citizen traveling about in these side roads and alleyways, though like with the business, the hustle and bustle of the city also seems to die out the further up the hill you climb, and the closer to the tower you get.

It takes roughly an hour to fully ascend the hill. Near its peak you find yourself facing a large domes structure, which would be quite impressive in its own right if not for the massive tower it connects to. A set of steps lead up to the large double doors at the entrance to the domed structure, which is guarded by a few pairs of guards flanking the staircase as you ascend. The guards all wear matching surcoats featuring the Menoran sigil - a golden tower among a field of flowers - and wield spears with shields. Most do not pay you any mind as you approach, though the ones at the top of the stairs - who hold their spears cross in front of the door - do.

"Halt," says one of the men, who looks down at you from a few steps above at this point. He is wearing a helmet like the others, though you can still see some of his face and the stern look it is currently show. "Who approaches the Tower of Menora?"[/sblock]
[sblock=Mechanics]You have reached level 4. Make sure to respond with all gains/changes so I can update my own versions of your characters for fidelity.[/sblock]

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

As the guards ask their identities, Drake goes to speak however he stops himself as he begins to open his mouth and holds his tongue, choosing instead to let Valcus speak for the group. The man had a way with words Drake did not, and now they had started using the title Lord of Castle Halstos, he also had the prestige to open the doors and gain audiences only Drake had been able to earlier in their quest.

[sblock=Mechanics]Drake advances to level 4.

Str and Dex attributes increase and Defensive Challenge is taken as a feat.

OOC character sheet and combat block updated.[/sblock]

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Lord Torinn of Twinriver," Valcus says, his back straight and his jaw rigid. "With me are Lord Aerden, of the Spear, Caelen of Virem, and Ser Daria."

The knight takes a breath, searching the guards' eyes for any sign of recognition -- but continuing regardless. "We seek audience with Queen Millicent. At the gates wait almost a thousand refugees from the westerlands -- Greywood, Darden's Hold... We are looking for any aid Her Majesty might spare her kinsmen."

[sblock=Mechanics]Advance to level 4. Took feat Armored Warlord -- scale mail unlocked and one extra surge. Combat block and sheet updated.

Raised Charisma and Con.[/sblock]

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen remains silent as the young lord works his words, not wanting to spoil anything by speaking out of moment. Let's hope these guards are more compassionate than they look. And the same goes for the Queen if we get to meet her.

[sblock=Mechanics]Caelen advances to Level 4

CON & DEX leveled up & Precision Ambush feat taken

OOC updated accordingly[/sblock]

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=All but Ghor]The man raises an eyebrow and glances to his comrade as Valcus speaks, particularly at the mention of their status. When he is done speaking, the same guard who had spoken before responds, "wait here," before turning to the other, nodding, and heading inside the large pair of doors. The other guard steps in front of them, and the other guards further down the stairway stand at attention.

There is a period of silence for ten minutes or so, before the guard re-emerges. With him he his in tow a finely-dressed middle-aged man with a cane, who looks as serious as the guards.

"Them?" he asks the guard, pointing out Valcus and Drake, to which the guard merely nods. Turning to the men, his serious expression turns more warm and welcoming, and he approaches the two with a slight smile.

"Welcome, my Lords. It has been a long time since we've received nobility from either of your holds," the man continues, extending the hand not holding his cane to shake.[/sblock]

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Thank you," Valcus says, shaking the man's hand without hesitation -- but he does not smile. "We might be the last nobility from them."

The knight eyes the cane, but only briefly, holding his gaze at the older man's eye level. "I take it the guardsmen have informed you of our status?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=All but Ghor]"Yes, they informed me of some noblemen seeking aid with refugees," the man says, his smile fading somewhat back into his normal stern demeanor. After shaking Valcus' hand he turns to do the same with Drake, ignoring the others for the time being.

"The Queen is a very busy woman. We can certainly arrange an audience for you, given your predicament and status. I hope you will understand, though, that it will not be immediate. In the meantime - as Steward of Menora - I will seek to do what I can for you until the Queen has given her ruling on the matter. Come, walk with me," the man says, beginning down the steps past the gathered party, awaiting their compliance.[/sblock]

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus nods, trailing the Steward at the man's request. The matter is urgent... The Queen had better not wait too long. I need to know if we move on to Bal or not.

"When can we expect to see the Queen? I mean not to rush you -- I would like to let our allies at the gates know if we will need be here for some time,"
the knight explains carefully.

Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

Ghor keeps to himself after the groups part ways, but Minh manages to lift his spirits a bit. He recalls how gracefully she moved in battle the day before, and when she asks him to spar, he lets out a booming, "Si!"

[sblock=Translation]Si![/sblock]

[sblock=Mechanics]Increased strength and dexterity. Took Martial Cross Training feat to gain Rain of Blows[/sblock]

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"As Lord Torinn says, we have many refugees with us. If the Queen will not take them, they will need to move on lest they starve," Drake adds, glancing at Valcus as he calls the knight a Lord, still not entirely used to actually using the title, despite it being his idea.

"The invasion's effects may not be felt here but these people have suffered for many weeks."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=Ghor]Minh gives a slight smile and a nod at the orc's response. Stepping to one of the carriages, she removes her swordbelt and leans it against the side of a wheel. Many of the others continue to unpack, though Marga stops to watch, a large grin on her face. Some of the villagers who'd followed the caravan into town also look on as the Ghian woman steps back over to you, stretches, and prepares for the wrestling match to come.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Mini Skill Challenge: Wrestle Minh

This skill challenge will function similar to Rock, Paper, Scissors. You will choose a move to do from the available categories, and roll the corresponding check:

Brute Force Attack (Athletics)
Nimble Attack (Acrobatics)
Defensive Stance (Perception)

Defensive Stance gets a bonus to dodge a Brute Force Attack, Brute Force Attack get a bonus to overpower a Nimble Attack, and Nimble Attack gets a bonus to break through the defenses of a Defensive Stance. This will be represented by the 'winning' RPS move getting a +5 bonus to their roll result.

In the end, whoever has the higher number still wins, so it is still good to roll what you're good at, though always possible to try to outsmart your opponent with something they're not expecting.

Optionally, before deciding each 'round' what move you want to use, you can roll insight against your opponent's bluff to determine what you think they intend to do. If you beat their bluff you will be informed the correct move, though if you fail to beat their bluff you will be instead told their intended feint. You will not be told whether or not you actually beat their bluff each time, so take the information given from such optional insight rolls with a grain of caution.

Up next: choose your move and roll appropriately, or roll insight to try to see through Minh's feint

[/sblock]
[sblock=Everyone Else]"In due time," the steward responds, continuing down the steps as the others trail behind. Daria attempts to speak up in response as well, though the man motions for her not to, and does the same should anyone else aim to continue their conversation.

At the base of the steps the man leads you around the edge of the staircase to a low stone wall - only about ten feet high - that extends from the base of the large building you'd just approached, connecting to the same rocky structure it sits atop of. There you approach a wooden door, and the man produces a set of keys. He unlocks the door and proceeds through, motioning for the others to follow.

Through the doorway you find yourself at the entrance to what appears to be a large, private garden that encircles - at least partially - the large domed building that now sits to your left, above you. Hedge rows line pave paths of colored bricks, segmenting the garden into various sections of flowers, topiaries, and an assortment of different trees. The garden seems mostly empty, though you do spot a woman lounging on a bench a hundred or so feet away, reading a book.

Once everyone has made their way through the door, the steward locks it behind you and turns back to face the party. "Apologies for the rudeness before. It is not wise to discuss such matters in the open, though I fear it is also not wise to do so in there either," he says, eyeing the structure he'd only recently exited to meet you.

"Please, tell me of your troubles. What truly ails this land? The reports we've received have been varied and contradictory, and I fear things may be far worse than what we'd been told before - especially if you truly have as many refugees in your midst as you claim."[/sblock]

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Valcus eyes the steward, taking a deep breath before letting it out.

"Tulrisse is under siege," the knight says, matter-of-factly. "At this point, you can consider the entire coast under Imardanian control. They've made moves inland -- Darden's Hold, the Spear, and probably Greywood now."

Valcus sighs, remembering their last stop. "Red Bridge's Warden is keeping his people in the dark. They're busy fighting a war with the Treheimers, while the Archbishop's men may likely march right up to their southern gates. Frankly, the situation looks grim. We've got several hundred refugees from all over that we've been escorting since Greywood. I'm sure much more of our people have been displaced, or even killed." He lowers his gaze, staring at the scenery behind him. "Menora seems to be well-fortified, but you cannot rule out the threat of the Northerners."

The woman in the distance catching his curious eye, Valcus turns back to the steward. "There are spies within your ranks? If I may ask -- why the distrust of your own regal grounds?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=All but Ghor]"I have my suspicions," the steward continues, as he takes in all that Valcus had told him. He notices Valcus glancing toward the woman on the bench, before quickly adding, "though if there are, she is not one of them, you can rest assured of that." He gazes up towards the tower for a moment, seeming lost in thought, before returning his gaze to the others.

"As I said, the reports we've received have varied. One day we will receive news of invasion, another day more news that it is a false alarm. Rumors sweep the streets, only to be dashed away conveniently by another. Confusion would be putting it mildly," he says, stepping slightly closer, and lowering his voice slightly.

"It has been my suspicion that there could be a concerted effort among some yet-undiscovered group to undermine the news of the invasion, and your own words lend support to that suspicion. Spies? Perhaps. Though it is just as likely there are those who seek to profit from this turmoil in some way, so I do not know what to believe. If there is a group at work to keep the city complacent and defenseless, however, I've every mind to find it and eradicate it."[/sblock]

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Imardanian spies would be the obvious answer, but as you say there are many goods which soar in price during wartime. If one could hide news of the war it would mean you could buy up as much as possible at the lower price before the news breaks," Drake says in response to the steward.

"Still, it should matter little if we can convince the Queen of our intentions. We aren't just here to find a safe place for the refugees, we've been building an alliance between the Southern Lords to try and push back the Imardanians. Do you think that's something your Queen would be receptive to? If the kingdoms to the West fall then Menora will surely be next."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen remains silent through the initial introductions, still intimidated by the formalities and hierarchies that pervade Tulrissian society. Best not to upset the man. He, however, breathes a sigh of relief as the steward apologizes for his prior behavior, realizing he isn't as stuffy as formerly believed.

Following Drake's response, the elf adds, "If their spies could infiltrate Violet Keep's court, they'd have no trouble doing the same here. But I'm sure plenty of people would also sell out their country for some easy coin." Though what a selfish thing to do.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Aye, and plenty have," Valcus says with a nod. "Lord Jont being chiefly among them." The knight frowns, remembering the fallen Lord's traitorous manner. I wonder how Cyrus fares.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=All but Ghor]"Lord Jont?" the steward asks, raising an eyebrow at Valcus' words. "You say he sold out his people? That sounds... so unlike him."[/sblock]

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"War makes people do things they never thought they might have." Valcus sighs inwardly. Lord Torinn. Hmh! Never thought those two words would run together as they do now.

The knight peers up once again the woman in the garden. "You've mentioned she is an ally," he says, nodding toward her. "Then who is this ally?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=All but Ghor]"Too true," the steward replies with a sigh, before turning back to Drake. "And I do not presume to know the Queen's mind, though I can certainly see the merit in such an arrangement. Menora has always valued its freedom and neutrality from the constant squabbles of the west, though this is different. If an alliance is the only way to survive the armies of the Imardanians, it is my hope the Queen would see the benefit in setting aside that pride, if only for a time."

At Valcus' mention of the woman on the bench, the steward give a slight smile. "Why, that is the Queen's daughter, the Princess Lillian, next in line for the throne. She's the last person who'd seek to see the fall of Menora."[/sblock]

Pashalik
The Fair and Balanced

Post by Pashalik »

Ghor does a few quick sretches, then nods to signals that he is ready. He comes in using a wary defensive stance, but breaks stance and lunges, trying to start a grapple.

[sblock=mechanics]I use brute force: 12(1d20) +12 = 24[/sblock]

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Caelen nods along with the steward, hoping that the Queen does in fact see the benefit and join their alliance, and house the refugees as well. Replying to the man, he says, "Menora would lose all of its freedom under the Imardanians. And face significant bloodshed under them as well." With a sigh and a pained look back at somewhat repressed memories, he says, "I don't want this city to go through what happened at Virem."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well in that case we can talk openly here," Drake says, glancing back at the Princess stop reading on the bench, committing her name to memory. He had met most of the members of nobility, both great and lesser, from the holds surrounding The Spear at least once or twice, however his knowledge of the nobility further North was much more limited and the number he had met even more limited.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"The Princess," Valcus echoes in surprise. Hm. I wonder if she might be a good start to discuss a possible allegiance with. Though we should take care not to undermine the Queen's authority.

"Yes, an alliance seems the only way to end this. I don't think any Tulrissian power would happily walk into a unified agreement as proposed, but if the alternative is facing the Imardanians alone... then it is a pretty clear choice to me."