The Land of Revi — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Fialova »

The woman pauses a moment, seeming to ponder Atropos' words. You notice some of the others behind her speak to her, but not loud enough for you to hear from this distance. After a brief exchange, she nods, and responds, "very well, I suppose you are right. For twelve of you, the toll will be 300 silver pieces, or 25 apiece. Once paid, you may be on your way."
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Stolos stifles a laugh as the toll keepers reveal their price. That could be the steepest toll I've encountered in my travels. At least our Jenore company should have no problem paying it and then we can be on our way, he thinks, waiting to see how the others react.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Lyseros looks away, a dumbfounded smile creeping along his face as the would-be toll taker shows her confidence. I have no horse in this race. Let us see if our employers try and argue or if they simply pay. No doubt have the coin to toss, but even they can't be blind to a poor deal.

BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years

Post by BartNL »

Info
How outrageous does this toll sound?
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

OOC
25 silver a head is about the price of one's living expenses for an entire week. The grand sum of 300 for a simple toll is quite more than you've experienced in your travels.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

That's a steep price. Either Jenore Privo Bel i'Fekh is a greedy dick, is not aware they are charging this much, or just not aware of these goons at all. Dravos thinks as he walks over to Lyseros. Then Dravos asks him quitely:"Lyseros, can you run back to Hara? I have no good feelings about this business. These goons seem a bit too antsy for my liking."
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey
Registered for: 3 years 2 months

Post by greysigil »

Atropos nods slowly, his polite smile freezing for a bare instant before recovering. The audacity. This cannot be a true toll, I am sure of it now. Let us hope that this is not too steep a price for our employers.
He gives the woman a shallow bow, and says "Very well. I shall report this to our employer, and return post-haste." Before turning to again walk back to the cart.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
VI-42016 "Jug" JUGGERNAUT - #c1545d
Katherine "Kate" Meecham - #ff6814
Ezra Wynter // MEDUSA - #91c886
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"As swiftly as my legs carry me," the courtesan says to Dravos, nodding. Casting another quick glance toward the direction of the toll collectors, he turns heel and makes his way back to the company leads. He is right. They are too on edge for my comfort.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Brigands in disguise you suppose? Perhaps waiting to judge our number and wealth before attacking?" Stolos suggested to Dravos as he watches Lyseros and Atropos return to the caravan. The thought of a brigand ambush unnerves the musician, but he keeps up his usual façade.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Pretty much my hunch since the beginning. They seem off." Dravos whispers back to Stolos.
Last edited by BartNL on Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I'll stay here," Deimos responds, as Stolos and Dravos discuss the potential nature of the toll-takers. "If they are brigands, they will taste my spear before they ever reach the others." He stands firm as the two men make their way once more down the road to your leaders and quarry.

Atropos, Lyseros
"Well?" Hara asks, looking towards Atropos in particular, as the two of you reach the caravan. He and the others all look on expectantly, curious to hear what you've learned since your last visit.
Dravos, Stolos
"I trust those two are going to fetch the silver, then?" the woman asks, as she notices your companions heading once more back down the road you came from. 
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Assuming our employer is wont to pay," Stolos says with a shrug, being deliberately annoying after being annoyed himself by the toll men. "They're a new client so who knows? Maybe we'll be taking a more scenic route instead."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"What's the hurry?" Dravos asks the impatient woman in reply.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Atropos no doubt has more details of their demands," Lyseros begins to Hara, not wanting to waste him time. "But Dravos, Stolos, and I feel uneasy about this all. They are on edge, suspicious. We thought this important to share lest we readily pay their toll."

greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

"It is as Lyseros says, their demeanors are concerning. I deescalated the situation, however they are less than pleased that you all have remained behind." Atropos says. "Furthermore, they asked for 25 silver per person, which by my tally, comes to 300 silver total. This, to speak frankly, is an exorbitant sum, which when combined with their words and actions, calls their legitimacy into strong doubt."
He shifts his weight between his legs, the walking back and forth starting to catch up with him. "How shall we proceed?"
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Atropos, Lyseros
"Three hundred silver pieces?" Ereden exclaims, clearly shocked by the total. "I've never seen a toll that high outside of the interior, and even then only during festivals in the capital," the man continues, clearly incredulous at the news.

"That is much more than I can afford to set aside. And would this be both ways?" Oradia begins, speaking her thoughts aloud. "That would eat into our budget significantly," she continues, worry in her voice as she looks around to her children and the servants in her employ. "Money we would be better of spending on food, and lodging, and..."

"We cannot pay them that," Ereden says to his sister, as he steps closer to her. "It must be a mistake."

"Maybe they can be haggled with. I cannot imagine this price is the amount they were truly tasked to collect," Imhe responds, looking towards the two of you. "And if not, then we should determine the true toll, not their extortionate one."

"Or, um," Polinos begins, clearly nervous to be interrupting the conversation. "Or maybe there is not really a toll," he continues, looking towards Imhe as he speaks. "Some of the men in my village used to pose as toll-takers sometimes, hoping to make some easy coin off of foreigners to the area. They didn't make much, they didn't have any nice armor to look the part. But it worked sometime."

"It's possible, yes," Hara responds to the man, a stern look on his face. "It's also possible the Jenore Privo truly decide to charge such an exorbitant amount. Perhaps in hopes of preventing overcrowding, or maybe just out of pure greed." Turning to you, he continues, "Either way, you'll need to get them to lower the price, it is clearly too great of a burden on our employers. If they're dirty, make them show it. If they have a commanding officer, perhaps speaking with them to haggle might work. One way or another, though, we need to be on our way, and not for such a massive fee."
Dravos, Stolos
"No hurry," the woman responds, her tone clearly annoyed at the insinuation. Once more you can hear her begin to speak with her companions nearby, but too quietly for you to tell what they are saying.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

Atropos nods, his suspicions confirmed. Not only is this sum as unreasonable as I had presumed, there is also a precedent for false toll-takers. He looks to Oradia and Ereden. "So as to know what we are working with, what is the maximum you are willing to pay? We will attempt to secure as low a rate as possible, I am only asking to secure our bargaining position."
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"If we keep up this pace we might get to Anfeli in time for the new Calling of the Heir," Stolos jokes as they wait.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Their demeanor leads me to believe you are correct, Polinos," Lyseros chimes in, crossing his arms as the others speak. "That, or green brigands who know they are outnumbered."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Atropos, Lyseros
Hara glances back towards Oradia and Ereden, who look to each other for a moment. "I don't think we could really do more than 100 silver pieces," the woman says back, after some brief thought. "Especially if this is going to be an issue on the return trip as well. We set a little coin aside in case of emergencies, and I can't afford to spend it all on some toll. Especially not one you think might be fraudulent," she continues, seeming worried and nervous by the entire situation.

Ereden reaches for a small chest in the cart and opens it, taking out a small leather pouch and filling it with some coin, before tossing it to whoever of you is closest. "Here, this is 100 silver pieces. See if you can negotiate them down to that price, or lower ideally. If they can't be reasoned with, we will have to find some way around them, I guess."

"Well, there you have it," Hara responds, nodding as one of you accepts the small coinpurse. "Once you've secured passage, send someone back to let us know the way is clear and we will begin again."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Well, since we're just waiting, I'll be taking a few minutes for myself." Dravos says, rubbing his stomach.
Dravos heads of the path, looking to stay out of sight but within earshot.

Searching
Dravos wants to find a place still within earshot of the Woman and Stolos, from where he can observe the group of goons better.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Don't get lost" Stolos says as Dravos wanders off into the thickets to the side of the path.

Left alone with the toll collectors, he looks back down the road, hoping someone from the caravan comes along soon.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I leave that to you, my friend," Lyseros says to Atropos with a cheeky grin. "You've more experience with their leader directly. But worry not, we shall be waiting from the wings if you need assistance."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Dravos
Make a sneak/dex roll
Stolos
As Dravos ventures into the thicket, you see a couple of the people at the bridge glance his way, and after some brief deliberation in the distance, one of them likewise enters the woods as well, clearly intending to follow.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

"Understood. We will return once we have cleared the way. Atropos says, catching the pouch with both hands, nearly dropping it from the weight more than lack of dexterity. "Thank you for the vote of confidence," he replies to Lyseros, retuning the grin with a more wan smile. "Though I suspect I will need assistance, my way with words is not always the most convincing."

After securing the funds in his bag, Atropos turns to leave again. Time for the final bout, I pray.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Perhaps I should warn Dravos, in case he isn't just off to relieve himself. Is there a song that might provide him with a hint? Stolos wonders, as he spots the toll collector disappear into the trees after Dravos. The thought is brief however, as he is quickly distracted by some dirt under one of his nails.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Mechanics
Stealth/Dex [2d6+3]=3+3=6
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Atropos, Lyseros
With coin in hand, you two once more return to the spot on the road where the others are gathered, though you notice that Dravos is no longer among them. Deimos offers a nod at your return, and the woman who'd been speaking looks to you with curiosity but does not speak up yet.
Stolos
It is not long before Atropos and Lyseros return from speaking with the others, and Deimos nods to them as they approach. The woman on the road looks on in cuirosity, but does not speak up yet.
Dravos
You are able to crouch through some brush as you enter the woods, but you notice soon after that one of the men from the bridge follows into the treeline after you. Despite your attempts to hide, he spots you and keeps on eye on your movements, seeming highly suspicious of you from what you can tell.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Let a man take a shite in peace will ya?" Dravos shouts at the onlooker. Plan failed, but we might still get something out of it. Dravos thinks while taking a quick piss against a nearby tree in an attempt to act the part he's playing.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Are we soon to be on our way?" Stolos asks the others as they return, his voice low enough the toll collectors will be out of earshot.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

"With any luck." Atropos breathes back. "We are to try negotiating."

He clears his throat softly, more to center himself and to prepare to raise his voice again than to gain attention, before addressing the apparent leader of the toll-takers with a diplomatic smile: "As I am sure you have anticipated, twenty-five silver per person is quite a toll, especially for such a remote locale. Our employers, generous though they are, bid us secure a more reasonable rate of passage, and so I propose a counter-offer: five silver per person." Atropos speaks clearly and concisely, masking over the nervousness beginning to well in his stomach at the gambit. They opened high, so we shall open low. Either they are open to negotiations, or this will force them to show their true colors.
Mechanics
Talk/Cha [2d6-1]=2-1=1 (Yikes)
Last edited by greysigil on Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

From obscenely expensive to obscenely cheap, Stolos thinks as Atropos brings their employer's proposal to the toll collectors. Even then, if they are illegitimate brigands it is still easy money with no risk involved. If it is a legitimate toll then they may require some further persuasion, he thinks, mulling over how best to talk down their price if it comes to it.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Deimos lingers near Lyseros as Atropos engages the tolltakers. "So what became of your words to Hara?" he asks the healer. "I assume he was not wont to pay a sum that exorbitant."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Of course not," Lyseros says back to Deimos, eyes fixed on the negotiation up ahead. "Their ask is beyond outrageous. A hundred silver is as high as our employers can muster. Whether the toll takers accept that is up to a silvered tongue."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Dravos
The man frowns at your words, and turns to face off to the side, keeping you in his periphery while still offering some modicum of privacy. "You can shit in peace, but don't think these woods'll be your path past the bridge. These are the Jenore's woods, and you ain't gettin' past without a toll."
Everyone Else
As Atropos speaks, the woman in charge steps forward once more, folding her arms in front of her chest. "A fifth of the toll? I am not interested in poor attempts at humor. Do you have the money or not?" You can sense the annoyance in her voice as she speaks, though her tone remains calm so far.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Stolos rolls his eyes as Atropos' attempts at negotiating the toll go nowhere. Must I do everything in this cohort myself? The musician thinks as he steps forward.

"Forgive my companion. While his offer may be as insulting as his body is feeble, I am afraid it is the most we can muster with our total numbering fifteen," he explains. "Regrettably it would seem that would mean we are destined to part ways here, with us taking a much longer route to our destination and with you out of pocket - sorry your employer out of pocket," he continues, deliberately misspeaking hoping to better drive his point home if it turns out these are in fact rogue toll collectors.

"With your employer not here, the decision clearly rests with you. You can let us pass, collecting seventy five silver and getting us on our way with no further delay or questions, or you can have us turn around, collecting nothing. I confess I haven't had many traditional employers in my time, however I can hazard a guess as to what I think they might prefer, as I am sure you can too,"  he says, making his final proposal. Both a greedy Jenore and an avaricious brigand are alike in preferring the easy coin, over the hard one or no coin at all.

Mechanics
Convince/Cha: 6+2+2=10

[1d6]=6
[1d6]=2
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Lyseros crosses his arms, a subtle smirk forming as he listens to Stolos' convincing words. Let's hope they take the bait. I would doubt they're itching for a fight, but we shall see. Some coin is better than none, he is right.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

All but Dravos
"You are serious, then?" the woman asks, seeming annoyed as Stolos repeats the offer. She does listen, however, as he makes an impassioned speech in favor of the offer. As he does so, she and some of her companions converse quietly amongst themselves, seeming to at least consider the terms you've set forth. When you finish speaking, they wrap up their hushed conversation to respond in turn.

"75 silver is too low. If your number totals 15 and not 12, as you'd initially said, then the toll should be 375 silver pieces in all." She pauses, turning back to one of her companions before returning her focus to your group. "That said, we are not without compassion. We could be convinced to let you pass, but for 200 silver pieces for the lot of you. That is nearly half the original toll, which is coming out of our pay I'll have you know."

OOC
You may continue to haggle if you like, or approach things in another manner if you prefer.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"You must live very lavish lives for toll collectors in that case," the musician replies.

"The most we can offer is one hundred silver, take it or leave it," he says offering their final budget but expecting the woman to decline. I guess we will be taking the scenic route.
Mechanics
Convince/Cha: 4+5+2=11
[1d6]=4
[1d6]=5
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Dravos does his business in the relative peace the toll collector allows him to have. Once finished, Dravos calmly walks up the goon. Let's see if I can size them up.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

Atropos shifts, disguising his dull annoyance at Stolos' dig at him. Uncalled for, but if it aids in us passing unperturbed, so be it.

"Lavish indeed." he asides, quietly so only those immediately by him can hear, but otherwise remaining quiet, allowing the bard to argue their position while he watches the group for any other suspicious movements.

OOC
Atropos will do a quick headcount, trying to see if everyone he saw earlier is still accounted for, or if some have disappeared.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Lyseros can't help but roll his eyes at the toll taker's greedy persistence. Ervemnon above, stop this foolish game. 'Not without compassion,' she says, as if she is doing us a great service. I should like to sock her in the nose myself for such words. He lets out a frustrated sigh, standing by to see if Stolos' additional negotiation is successful.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Dravos
As you begin to approach the man in question, he frowns and reaches for a sword on his hip, partially unsheathing it as you draw near. You continue to hear the shouted conversation past the treeline, though the sounds of the forest - and the distance from both parties - leaves it harder for you to make out just what is being said. You can tell that Stolos has taken over negotiations, and after some back and forth, and some annoyed-sounding shouts from the woman at the bridge, the deliberation stops.

Not long after, before you fully reach the man, steps can be heard through the brush coming towards you, and you see Deimos approaching. He seems concerned by the man before you, clearly ready to attack if approached too closely, and he calls out to you. "Stop, we've come to an agreement. Come on back," the man says, motioning with his arm for you to return to the gathered caravan.
Everyone Else
There is another pause, longer this time, as the group at the bridge once more deliberates on Stolos' words. This time, there seems to be more disagreement among the ranks, and some of their voices briefly grow louder, though still not enough to make out specific phrases. After a few moments, the woman in charge once more steps forwarding. "Fine," she shouts back, her tone clearly reluctant and more annoyed than it had been previously. "100 silver for the lot of you, just make it quick. Last thing we need is every group bugging us for such a discount. Bring it forward and you may pass."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Stolos smiles as the collector agrees.

"A pleasure doing business. Atropos if you would," the musician says, turning to his companion and gesturing for him to hand the money over.

"Lyseros, why don't you go tell the rest the good news and get the caravan moving?" he suggests, basking in his own achievement.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Lyseros nods, relieved that Stolos' words managed to convince the demanding toll taker. I suppose we've frustrated her into submission. I will not complain. He makes his way back to the caravan, relaying word from ahead. "We are ready to move," he says to the others. "The toll has been dealt with, a hundred silver."

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"No need to be that tense, just passing through." Dravos replies, before swiftly heading back to the group.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

"Certainly." Atropos replies, shifting his bag into his hands to retrieve the pouch. "One hundred silver, as agreed." he says, hefting the coins and replacing his pack on his back. He takes a few steps forward, offering the coinpurse to be taken.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

It does not take long for Lyseros to return to where the rest of the party is gathered, the remainder of your small caravan in tow. Once back in their positions, you inch carefully towards the bridge, where the gathered group - five in total, you count - step aside to allow you to pass. Atropos hands off the bag of coins to the apparent leader, who counts each of the 100 pieces before allowing passage. The remainder of the group simply watches you with a mixture of disinterest and disappointment, clearly unhappy by the exchange. Despite the air of hostility, you pass through the checkpoint and continue down the road unhindered, and it is not long before the toll-takers are out of sight and out of mind.

The rest of your first day passes by uneventfully, with idle chatter made along the way, in between the occasional song to pass the time. After another hour or so, you find yourselves nearing a small town, which the children convince Oradia to stop at for the night. The mother and her children buy lodgings for themselves at a local inn, while your cohort camps near the wagon at the edge of town, taking shifts to make sure no thieves attempt to steal. In the morning, you continue on your way again.

Days 2 & 3

The second and third full day of travel are relatively uneventful. You pass through three more small villages across the two days, as well as numerous fields, small groves, and for some time a river. For most of the second day, the roads are scarce, with only a handful of fellow travelers spotted. The third day, however, sees an ever-increasing flow of road traffic as you draw nearer and nearer to Anfeli. 

Had you been traveling unhindered by your charges it would not have even taken three full days to reach the walls of the city, but by the end of your third day, you once more stop to rest, this time only a few hours travel left in your journey. Hara attempts to convince Oradia to continue onwards, but she insists on stopping for the sake of the children, who have grown cranky in the last hour. Reluctantly, and with your destination almost in sight, you once more make camp for the evening.

As had been done the night before, the Moltove's servants erect a series of poles and hang some cloth to turn the wagon into a tent for the mother and her children to sleep under. The draft- and pack-animals are then tied to nearby trees to graze for the night, with Ereden and the servants unfurling bedrolls beneath the wagon for shelter. Your cohort arranges your camp midway between the wagon and the animals, preparing to settle in for the final night on the road.

"Alright, four watch shifts as always," Hara says, as the the night's fire is lit and everyone begins to settle in. "I'll take first watch, Imhe will take last. The rest of you, decide amongst yourselves. As always, two to a shift."

"You don't have to tell me twice," Imhe says, making her way towards her bedroll as soon as the order is given. 

OOC
Each person, choose from either of the 4 available watch shifts. Currently 1 additional person may take either first or last shift, and each of the two middle shifts can take two people.

Optionally, as for any scenario with watch shifts, feel free to do a watch RP between the PCs in each shift. Anyone paired with an NPC, let rat or I know if you would like to do a watch RP with that NPC.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Stolos is pleased to be past the toll collectors, and spends much of the rest of the day walking alongside their employer's wagon singing them songs of his exploits.

As the mind numbering drudgery that is the reality of long distance travel by foot, sets in on the second day of their journey, he spends his time working on a composition to tell the tale of their current adventure, adding some embellishments to jazz up what would otherwise be a rather dull song.

"I can help take first watch," Stolos volunteers, as he sets up his spot for the night. Always first or last watch, that way I get to sleep uninterrupted. Further enamouring myself to Hara never hurts either, he thinks. For once it's a shame we couldn't carry on though. We could have been sleeping in actual beds tonight if we'd made it to the city.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

Atropos watches the toll collectors count the coins, and is relieved when they step aside. He keeps step with the others, but visibly sags as the tension of heading negotiations leaves him.

The road is long, and dull, but Atropos' frail-seeming body continues on unimpeded. In fact, where the others start showing signs of mundane wear, the strain of muscles and the ache of joints, Atropos is noticeably still. Any stretching he does seems much more like a routine, something done because he knows it will help keep his body functional, rather than borne of a need for relief.

"I have no preference, I will take whichever watch is left at the end." He says. Benefits of not being able to sleep. Would that I were able to, though, I believe I've forgotten what it felt like. he muses as he folds up his bedroll into a cushion to sit on.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596