The 2nd Fleet: Journey to the Edge of the Known World — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
ratwizard
A Wan Smile
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by ratwizard »

Zima winces as the bone goes skittering across the floor. "It likely heard our voices already," she reasons, feeling the need to shield her partner's error.

"The carpentry tools will be put to good use once our expedition reclaims the port. Good find, Ilmoto. Anything else? Or shall we proceed?"
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years

Post by BartNL »

"Some coins, not exactly a treasure. One of the coins I don't recognise; crudely made, material gold-like but clearly not gold. There's a diamond shape with a hole in it on the one side, and a spear on the other. Possibly local in origin. I will examine the metal and pass it around later.
Ilmoto replies.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Maybe the currency of our ancestors?" Louie posits, somewhat curious about the coin's origin. "There's no reason the expedition would've spent time casting coin, especially with how dangerous these lands seem to be." The beast people of tales would have no use for coins, would they?

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"My people traded with coins that bore holes. One could string them into a necklace, or bracelet, for ease of carrying," Zima remarks, her curiosity piqued by the discovery. "However, let us look at it together in the safety of the main expedition." Her eyes rest on the door deeper in. My wish is that this is simply an opportunistic animal, and not an ambush.

From the thought springs an idea. "Perhaps we might try scaring the creature off?"
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin grimaces slightly at the sight but manages to calm himself. "Well, perhaps we could see what it is exactly before expecting the worst. Perhaps it is a large rat, that should be fine." He says, stepping towards the door. "Should I check first?" He asks, willing to take the risk.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"If you like," Caoimhe responds to Taliesin, mostly uninterested in the conversation about the coin as she focuses on whatever lies past the door before her. "I can open it, you can go in. Hopefully, whatever it is, we need not put it to death like the others." We are invaders in their homeland, it is no surprise these beasts are wary of us, or even aggressive. But we must find a way to cohabitate if we are to establish a camp here.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Whenever you are ready."
Ilmoto replies as he takes position to cast a spell.

OOC
Cast Beguiling Strands when the door opens.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin swiftly flourishes his blade, sheathing it elegantly before he approaches the door. He opens it slowly, taking the first step inside.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

As Taliesin opens the door hesitantly, the light from Zima's torch bathes the room in its warm glow. The room is overgrown, with the walls covered in moss and lichen. The source of the noise is revealed as two small creatures, about a foot or so in length. The six legged animals are armoured with a carapace or shell on their heads and backs, and pay you little attention as they feed on the plant growth using a large sucker like mouth to its roots from the masonry.

Behind them, against the back wall of the room, and half covered in vines and moss itself, stands a large elaborate metal chest. It is adorned with gems and intricate metal work and etchings, although from the edge of the room it is hard to make out any meaning, if any exists.
Creature Appearance
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Some of the tension falls from Zima's shoulders as she looks upon the strange sucker-mouth creatures. "They are perhaps the only disarming thing we have seen of this land so far," she says quietly, the hint of a smile in the corner of her mouth.

Her eyes fall on the metal chest and its gem-encrusted exterior. "It is beautiful, and somewhat out of place in this rugged camp."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie feels some immediate relief as he catches a glimpse of the creatures hidden behind the door, though he doesn't entirely let his guard down. "Still be careful. It might have more than just a shell to survive in these lands," the elf says before looking toward the oddly-elaborate chest. "Something like that's gotta be holding something important, I'd think."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"They are quite cute," Caoimhe says, smiling as the strange shelled creature appears before them. "Hopefully they are as harmless as they appear," she continues, stepping warily into the room, trying to keep a safe distance between herself and the odd beings who've made the room their home. Still at the ready, in case something larger and more dangerous shows itself, she slowly and cautiously makes her way towards the chest on the back wall. What could something like this be doing here? It seems strange to bring something so ornate on a venture such as this. Unless they found it in this jungle, she thinks, trying not to get too excited at the thought.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

As you head into the room, the two creatures remain unbothered by your presence. They continue to graze on the weeds, only moving away from you slightly if you come too close.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

They're cautious too. Maybe they truly are harmless, the elf thinks, eyeing the odd creatures. We'll have to sketch them later. I wonder how they'd do in the environments back home. Before his mind takes off, he turns his attention back to the chest, waiting for one of them to see what it contains.

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Info
Does Ilmoto know if the chest or the creatures are the source of the arcane presence?
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Ilmoto
The chest itself, along with its contents, seems to be the source of the arcane presence.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Here, let me," Zima says, concentrating on the chest — and the specters that appear before it. The seer watches a pair of dwarves discuss for a moment, before one of them reaches to open it. What were they stowing in here?

Mechanics
Mage Hand to open the chest from a safe distance.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

ZIma's attempt at opening the chest is in vain, as the chest appears locked or sealed.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"It's sealed tight," Zima notes, frowning. "Are any of you handy with locks?"
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin examines the chest from afar, pondering back to his years of study. Perhaps there was a book... I know there have been magical thieves in the past, I've read about them. Maybe there was a spell... He walks toward the chest now, and then he kneels down infront of it, examining it closely. There's got to be some kind of gimmick here. Maybe there's a regular key hidden nearby. He thinks. 
Mechanics
Perception to examine the chest: [1d20+11]=7+11=18
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Both the chest and it's contents appear me to be enhanced in nature. If it's safe, I can try to open it."
Ilmoto says, attempting to identify if the chest is magically warded in any way.

Mechanics
Arcana check: [1d20+12]=2+12=14
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Strange that they'd go to the trouble of enchanting a chest way out here," Louie mentions, watching to see if Ilmoto is able to get it opened. "Must be something important, otherwise why bother?"

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Taliesin
Examining the chest, you find that the chest's mechanisms are of an extremely high quality. As you move the plant growth away from the chest to look at it more closely, you discover the lock's key hole. It too is very elaborate, requiring a very strangely shaped key. Above the lock a small decorative shield made of enamel and gold is set into the chest. The shield is gold and green, bearing the sigil of a golden hammer.
Ilmoto
Examining the chest, you find it is protected with powerful wards. From what you can tell, none of them are dangerous, however they would serve to make the chest borderline impossible to open through magical means.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Wards are too powerful for the chest the be insignificant, indeed. It's probably easier to see if we can find the key for this, though. I I don't think we'll otherwise be able to open this without a issue. Let's continue for now."
Ilmoto replies.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Yes, let us see what the rest of this tower might have in store for us," Zima suggests, eager to leave. "Then we should report to the others. I am sure they are waiting eagerly for any sort of news, good or bad."

OOC
Can we go to the upstairs part of the tower now?
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"It is enough to know it is there," Caoimhe confirms, as others suggest passing up the chest for now. "It is clearly not going anywhere, and perhaps someone on the ship will have better luck with opening it."

OOC
Are there any other doors in this room we've not checked, or should we move up?
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin takes one last look at the chest, taking a closer look at the sigil. Another time, perhaps. He thinks to himself and sighs before heading further into the room, looking around to see what he finds. 
Mechanics
History for the sigil and shield: [1d20+13]=14+13=27
Perception to search the room now that we're deeper into it: [1d20+11]=18+11=29
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Talieisin
You recognise the shield as that of the Amardovis house, the benefactors of the whole expedition to Quellam. With this being here already you can only assumed it belonged to the son of the late Lord Amardovis, who lead the first fleet to the continent before his father led the second.

While dwarvern history is not your speciality, connecting the shield of the house, you also realise you know what this chest is. It is a Dwarven Strong Box, extremely rare and almost exclusively owned by wealthy noble families of the Dwarven Mountains, they are known to be near impossible to open, save for possessing the one unique key capable of opening it, due to a combination of skilled dwarven craftsmanship and powerful magic charms.

You can deduce that the key is likely with Lord Amardovis' son, where ever he is, as would be typical of the other strong boxes in existence.

Looking more around the room, you're confident there is nothing else of interest here.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

"I... feel like there's not much more here," he points at the box. "That, if my deductions are correct, is a dwarven strongbox, an Amardovis heirloom. If he had made it to shore, I'm sure our host would have appreciated this being returned to him." He says, hoping that's right. "If nothing else, I think he would be the only one to have claim to what happens to it. If we find the key at all, which I believe his son would still have, I don't think I would open it, I'd rather hold onto the key until we find them - either of them- hopefully still alive." He says. "There's a chance he would have left it here, but I can't imagine many family heirlooms to be just left somewhere carelessly."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima looks at the chest, almost as if noticing it once again. An Amardovis heirloom, she considers. Despite its presence in hostile territory, it still managed to outlive its owners. May all those who fell prey to the storm rest in peace amongst the ocean's depths.

"Yes, let us inform our leaders of its presence, and leave it for those who it belongs."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

You continue exploring the ruin, which thankfully is devoid of any further animal inhabitants. With the building unfinished, you unsurprisingly find most of the rooms empty, save for left over construction materials and more of nature's attempts at reclaiming the structure. Satisfied the site is safe enough for the others to disembark from the ships, you make your way back towards the beach and your rowboat.

You row back to Sea Wolf and climb back onboard, reporting your findings to Tofyr and some of the other senior figures onboard. The lack of any signs of survivors of the First Fleet sends shockwaves through the ship and clearly gives your leaders some pause for thought, as their private deliberations go on for several hours. Eventually a decision is made and the fleet begins preparing to off load all of its cargo and passengers the following day.

There is still a somber mood in the air, however the large undertaking in offloading the ships and setting up camp keeps people busy over the next few days and working towards a common goal binds them together. Tents are quickly erected to house people as gradually more and more members of the fleet and supplies are ferried ashore by a steady stream of small boats.

Eight days after you first came ashore a runner comes to your tent early it the morning, with instructions to meet at one of the larger tents the fleet's leaders have been using for planning. As you make your way towards the tent, the camp is beginning to rise with smoke starting to fill the air as the campfires are lit to begin cooking breakfast.

Stepping through the tent flap, you find the leaders of the expedition are already assembled waiting for you, stood over a large woodened table upon which a large parchment map lies. Unlike most maps, this one is mostly empty, but you can tell it depicts Quellam, or at least what you have explored so far with room left for future discoveries.

"Welcome, I had the Explorer's Guild's cartographers draw it up," Tofyr says, spotting people looking at the map as more of you arrive. The assembled leaders hail from all the different groups that make up the Second Fleet including the ships' captains and the new Archbishop of the New Congregation.

"I think that's everyone, we might as well get started."

"Agreed," Ser Elvia says, the Menoran Arc Knight having swapped her black armour for a more comfortable outfit. She wears a black leather jerkin emblazoned with the golden tower sigil of house Cumberland over a white satin shirt.

"Very well," Mianala Syltoris starts, stepping up to the table. The young leader of the Elven Ancestral Assembly. "The fate of the First Fleet is not one that was anticipated by anyone," she says, with many of the others nodding along in solemn agreement.

"In order to make sure we do not suffer the same, we here have come together to form a council. We will work together towards common goals to ensure our success. Now the Council have agreed that the most important thing is securing Port Amardovis, making sure we can keep everyone fed and safe. This does mean many of our original goals will have to wait, we can't support exploration on the scale many of us envisaged while also working to establish ourselves here."

"That said, exploration itself could be key to our survival here. We plan to send out small expeditions, one at a time, in order to investigate what happened to the First Fleet and unlock the other secrets of this continent. Which is way you are all here, we have elected to have you form the first expedition,"  Tofyr says, taking over from Mianala.

"There are several places we already know of that could be worth investigating, all with their own merits, but we will leave that up to you."

"We will supply you with any equipment you need, but until we find new food sources, we can only spare enough food to support you out in the wild for a week," Amjad Nashir, the Crescent Consortium's leader in the Fleet, says the Serranborn merchant also stepping up to the table, a leather-bound ledger in hand.

OOC MUST READ
Welcome to Quellam!

Level Up! You are now level 6.

From now on modified long and short rest rules are now in affect.

A short rest is now defined by the existing long rest rules, meaning a night's sleep is required to expend healing surges and recover your encounter powers, while a long rest now requires a week of downtime back in Port Amardovis or another safe camp.

You are also now free to swap characters between expeditions, including right now.

Now you must choose your intended destination for the first expedition. Refer to the map and points of interest in the OOC.
Port Amardovis Updated Map

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Level Up
Character Sheet
[SHOW]
Ilmoto, level 6
Human, Mage
Level 1 Apprentice Mage: Pyromancy Apprentice
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Evocation Apprentice
Level 5 Expert Mage: Pyromancy Expert
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 21, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 19 Fort: 18 Reflex: 21 Will: 19
HP: 44 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +8, Arcana +13, Stealth +9, Thievery +9, History +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +2, Acrobatics +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +5, Heal +4, Intimidate +5, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +8, Streetwise +3,

FEATS
Human: Improved Initiative
Level 1: Enlarge Spell
Level 2: Blade Initiate
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)
Level 6: Mark of Making [Dragonmark]
Feat User Choice: War Wizard's Expertise

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Freezing Burst
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Beguiling Strands
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Fountain of Flame
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Sleep
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Burning Hands
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Skewering Spikes
Mage Cantrips: Light
Mage Cantrips: Mage Hand
Mage Cantrips: Prestidigitation
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Shield
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Arcane Mutterings
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Shock Sphere
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Fire Shroud
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Fireball
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Summon Magma Beast
Level 6 Utility Powers: Levitate
Level 6 Utility Powers: Wall of Fog

ITEMS
Spellbook, Flaming Incendiary dagger +1, Robe of Contingency Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Amulet of Protection +2, Footpads, Alchemy Case
FORMULAS (Alchemist level +2)
Clearsense Powder, Clockwork Bomb, Inferno Oil, Foaming Plaster, Lockburst Chalk
RITUALS
Enchant Magic Item (level +2)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
level 5
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Ilmoto, level 5
Human, Mage
Level 1 Apprentice Mage: Pyromancy Apprentice
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Evocation Apprentice
Level 5 Expert Mage: Pyromancy Expert
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
Theme: Alchemist
Background: Bonus Language (Common)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 21, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 18 Fort: 17 Reflex: 20 Will: 18
HP: 40 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +8, Arcana +12, Stealth +8, Thievery +8, History +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +4, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +4, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +7, Streetwise +2, Athletics +1

FEATS
Human: Improved Initiative
Level 1: Enlarge Spell
Level 2: Blade Initiate
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)
Feat User Choice: War Wizard's Expertise

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Freezing Burst
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Beguiling Strands
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Fountain of Flame
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Sleep
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Burning Hands
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Skewering Spikes
Mage Cantrips: Light
Mage Cantrips: Mage Hand
Mage Cantrips: Prestidigitation
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Shield
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Arcane Mutterings
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Shock Sphere
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Fire Shroud
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Fireball
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Summon Magma Beast

ITEMS
Spellbook, Flaming Incendiary dagger +1, Robe of Contingency Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Amulet of Protection +2, Footpads, Alchemy Case
FORMULAS
Clearsense Powder, Clockwork Bomb, Inferno Oil, Foaming Plaster, Lockburst Chalk
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
Combat Block
[SHOW]
Ilmoto Brandt

Male Human [Human] Mage level 6
Languages: Tulrissian, Andorian, Common
Height: 5"7
Weight: 180 lbs.

Speed: 6
Initiative: +8
Passive Perception: 14
Passive Insight: 19
Senses: Normal Vision

AC: 18
Fort: 17
Reflex: 20
Will: 18
HP: 44/44
Bloodied: 22
Surge Value: 11
Surges left: 8/8
Action Points: 1

MBA: +7 vs AC, 1d4 damage
RBA: +9 vs AC, 1d4+2 damage
Magic Missile RBA: no roll, 8 damage
Resistances:
None

Vulnerabilities:
None
Saves:

Active Effects:
None

Powers:

At-Will
Beguiling Strands
Freezing Burst
Magic Missile
Light (cantrip)
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation

Item At-Will
Flaming Weapon

Encounter [_]
Burning Hands / Skewering Spikes [_]
Heroic Effort[_]
Arcane Mutterings / Shield [_]
Shock Sphere / Fire Shroud [_]
Second Wind [_]
Action Point [_]
Item Encounter [_]

Daily [_]
Sleep (wizard spell) / Fountain of Flame [_]
Fireball / Summon Magma Beast [_]
Levitate [_]
Wall of Fog [_]

Item Daily [_]
Robe of Contingency +1 [_]

Consumables:
Inferno Oil

Important Features:
[SHOW]
Alchemist Feature: You gain the Alchemist feat as a bonus feat. You know the formula for a particular 1st-level alchemical item (such as alchemist's fire). You can use this formula without needing training in any skill associated with it. At the end of a short rest, you can create one alchemical item of your level or lower at no cost. You must know the formula for the item you create. You can have only one such item prepared at a time.
Pyromancy Apprentice: +1 dmg with arcane fire attacks. Ignore fire resistance.
Evocation Apprentice:When you roll damage for an arcane evocation power, if any of the dice come up with a result of 1, pick one of them, reroll it, and use the new result.
Enlarge Spell: Before using a wizard at-will or encounter attack power, you can choose to take a -2 penalty to each die of damage rolled with the power to increase the size of its blast or its burst by 1. You can’t use this feat on a power that doesn’t roll dice for damage.
Blade Initiate:Once per day, when you are wielding a blade, you can invoke the Swordmage Warding class feature as a minor action. Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +1 bonus to AC (or a +3 bonus to AC if you have one hand free).
In addition, you can use swordmage implements.
Mark of Making [Dragonmark]: You have mastered the Enchant Magic Item ritual and can perform it as if you were two levels higher. You can make alchemical items as though you had the Alchemist feat and were two levels higher. You can master and perform rituals in the creation category and the Make Whole ritual as if you had the Ritual Caster feat.
Alchemist: You can make alchemical items your level or lower.
War Wizard's expertise +1 atk with heavy and light blades, -5 penalty to hit your allies
Footpads: +1 bonus to stealth checks to move quietly
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Level up!
Taliesin levels up to level 6!
Max HP up! 52 >> 57!
AC up! 20 >> 21!
Fort up! 16 >> 17!
Ref up! 16 >> 17!
Will up! 16 >> 17!
Initiative up! +3 >> +4!
Gain a power! Shadow Ride!
Gain a feat! Eladrin Swordmage Advance. Make a free MBA against an adjacent enemy after using fey step.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

A tall elvish woman with golden-brown hair steps forward, her hands clasped tightly in front of her. She wears a forest-green brigandine vest atop a gambeson and chain shirt. On her shoulder she bears the gleaming emblem of the New Elysian Congregation, beneath which are a pair of smaller religious iconography that look paramilitary in nature.

"Sister Armantine Peroult," she introduces herself with a courteous bow of her head. She gives a polite smile to the trio of Explorer's Guild members, remembering their faces from her brief time aboard the Sea Wolf. "I may be able to assist with the discovery of new food sources. I've spent much of my life in and around coastal woods. As different as this land may be from what we know, I am sure there will be some familiar sights."

And may the Goddess also bring us the familiar sight of Archbishop Eloise, she hopes with a plaintive sigh.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Heidi enters the tent with slow deliberate steps, making her way to the gathering around the table with a quiet calm demeanor about her. She stands average height for human women, her brown hair tied back underneath a kurnish shawl with floral patterns intricately embroidered into it. This drapes across her comfortably, covering the similarly-embroidered leather jerkin that tightly binds the loose kurnish tunic beneath. In one hand, she holds the butt of the rifle that leans against her torso, a rare sight outside of the Imardanian navy of years past, one which numerous rumors have been formed about over the course of the voyage here. She wears, in addition to all of this, a polite smile to hide her true calculating demeanor.

"Adelheid Ka'Vuurdig is my name," she says, after the clergy woman introduces herself. "Though you may all simply call me Heidi, if you please," she continues, eyeing the others with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion. "The New World Trading Company hopes to aid in securing resources from this land, first to construct the port, and later to - hopefully - export back to Voreld. I will be their eyes and ears on this venture, perhaps we will be fortunate enough to locate viable gathering spots during our excursion. Sturdy timber for construction seems a good priority alongside a steady source of nourishment." So the New Elysians are sending a scout the first opportunity they have. They are nothing if not bold. Perhaps she will be a forthcoming source of insight into their plans.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Raj stands nearby Nashir, glancing toward him as the expedition leaders speak, nodding every few moments. A human man of obvious Serran descent, he looks surprisingly well-manicured with his windswept raven black hair, and golden choker and wristbands. His gaze is piercing, such a green uncommon across the dunes. He wears a lightweight purple and teal vest, arms crossed over his toned chest as his watches and listens with intent. An ornate dagger rests at his hip, a fire opal embedded into the hilt.

As the leadership finishes speaking, he whispers aside to Nashir for a moment before stepping forward. "At the Consortium's behest, the expedition has my eyes and my blade." He cracks a confident smirk, placing his hands on his hips. "Miraj Am'khar, though you may call me Raj. I have... familiarity with reconnaissance, among other skills. Likewise with the Trading Company, the Crescent Consortium will commit itself to securing our foothold, that gold may eventually flow westward." He gives a brief nod, before examining the other apparent volunteers. Intriguing. This Heidi must've proven herself to the clan. I had always heard they were quite insular in leadership.

"But yes, that will not happen with emptied stomachs and emptier spirits. Seems we all agree there."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

This should be a change of pace from dealing with the Congregation all day, Armantine considers as she listens to the lieutenants of the secular organizations explain their gilded intentions. Although perhaps not. These folk clearly worship too — even if the object of their praise is their employer's coffers and not the Goddess. And they seek to secure and develop this land, same as I. Quellam is expansive as we've seen. I do not see why we cannot achieve our disparate goals in tandem.

She purses her lips. Even then, with gold comes power, and with power comes suffering. I should keep a close eye on these interested parties. They may not seek the same peace that we have set out to create.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"It's a pleasure to meet all of you formally." replies a tall smiling men. His clothes are a bit worn and rather plain looking compared to that of the others in the tent. On the floor near him stands a backpack the size of a small man. It looks to be packed with more camping equipment than anyone could ever need. "My name is Doran, and I'm with the Explorer's Guild, it's my expertise to find new pathways for safe travelling. Let's have a great time exploring this new world of Quellam!"
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin was waiting for the new arrivals, leaning up against something firm, probably a bit of rubble. He spent much of the morning going over his notes, double-checking and cross-referencing things with the new fauna they had already found in just their brief time on the island. Eventually, however, the new arrivals began to approach - and he would join them in the tent to introduce himself. "Taliesin, researcher of elvish history and a practitioner of the blade." He made a small gesture to the sword he kept at his waist, before continuing; "I hope that my knowledge and power will keep us safe in the coming months." He smiles a bit. "My allegiances lie with the great library of Serra, but I will do everything in my ability to push forward the expedition's goals."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Chanchabruhh
Vigilant Resolution
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by Chanchabruhh »

As Eldrin steps forward to address the assembled group of adventurers, his voice carries with it a resonance that commands attention, yet it holds a comforting warmth that immediately sets those around him at ease. With a steady gaze that mirrors the calm before a storm.

I am Eldrin Stormblade, a son of the tempest and a servant of the storm's will. From the sun-kissed shores of Mai'kon, where the waves dance in harmony with the wind's song, to the uncharted lands of Quellam, where mysteries await beneath every shadow, I have journeyed.
 In my veins flows the blood of warriors and navigators, and in my heart resides the spirit of adventure that drives us all. Each step I take upon this unfamiliar soil is guided by the whispers of the winds and the echoes of the thunder, urging me forward into the heart of the unknown. But I do not walk this path alone. So let us stand united, shoulder to shoulder, as we embark upon this journey into the unknown. With the storm as our guide and the bonds of fellowship as our strength, there is no obstacle we cannot overcome, no mystery we cannot unravel.
Active Pcs
Boulder(Pohaku)
Kairon Lergaros, The Shaded Jester
Eldrin Stormblade, Tempest-born Avenger
Kaze Mori the Gunpowder Titan 
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Doran, Taliesin, and Eldrin, Armantine commits to memory. Her time aboard the Sea Wolf after the sinking of the flagship had given her a chance to work alongside some of the Explorer's Guild, though she didn't know any of the three men well at all. Fascinating people, the Guild. A bit too bookish for me.

She eyes Doran, once again noticing his impressive physique. He seems more excited than any of us. It seems that taking care of the leagues of survivors from the Albatross did nothing to check his sense of adventure.

At the other elf's introduction, Armantine nods. The Great Library? It is no small wonder they're still in operation after all these eras. An even larger wonder that they would send one of their few and valuable agents on such a risky quest.

This one is quite noble in spirit, she thinks, listening to Eldrin. Though quite verbose. That's right... I must not have heard him open his mouth yet.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Name's Kobek, or Ko," a stocky dwarf in a battleworn set of scale mail armour says, removing a long wooden pipe from his mouth in order to talk. A great iron warhammer and shield are strapped across his back. "Amardovis pays my salary, although I guess we need to have talks about that actually," he says, glancing at Doldain Dodavek, the Chief Builder turned leader of Lord Amardovis' Retinue, who replies with a dismissive wave.

"I guess that just leaves me, I'm Zemi Nihar, as a few of you know. Also with the Explorer's Guild," the last of your rank says, a young serranborn woman. Her voice wavers slightly, but it is clear from her body language she is excited. Dressed in simple travelling clothes, she carries a simple short sword, dagger and bow, all of which show no signs of wear.

"Well, with those introductions out of the way, we still have much to attend to here," Tofyr says once everyone has said their piece. "If you make your way a few tents down, you'll find Baragos in the blue tent by the stockpiles. He will issue you your supplies for the expedition," he explains.

"Good luck out there," Mianala says as you make to clear out of the tent. "Let Bagagos know where you plan to explore. That way we can send out a search party if you don't return on time," she adds in a very serious tone.

Dismissed, you file out of the Council's tent and make your way towards the large piles of crates and barrels that form the nearest cache of supplies offloaded from the ships. A small blue tent sits to one side of the stacked supplies, where a greying dwarf is busy sorting through an assortment of lanterns.

"Ah, youse must be them lot heading out in t'wilds," he says as you approach, his thick accent hailing from the more remote settlements in the Dwarven Mountains. "Bagagos Ritani - I'm to be yer provisioner it seems," he continues, as he sets down his work and makes his way over to three large wooden crates.

"This is youse," he says, reaching the crates and kicking the wooden lids off one by one. "There's rations there fer the lotta yer fer a week - can't give youse more than that. Take what youse need from rest of t'stuff, but I want it back if possible. I don't want to have to petition t'Council fer more."
Supplies
Feel free to take as much from the following list of supplies as you wish. Any items you return to Port Amardovis with at the end of the expedition will be returned to the supply pool for use in future expeditions. With supplies running low there is no guarantee certain items will be able to be replaced if lost or destroyed.

In addition to the items on this list, you each automatically gain 7 days worth of rations.

Expedition Supplies
Artisan's Tools x 1
Backpack x 12
Ball Bearings x 4
Bedroll x 12
Belt Pouch x12
Caltrops x 3
Candle x 100
Candle Clocks x 10
Chain (10 ft.) x 3
Crowbar x 2
Dagger Boots x 2
Drill x 1
Fire Kit x 5
Flask x 5
Flint and Steel x 12
Flotation Bladder x 2
Footpads x 3
Grappling Hook x 3
Hacksaw x 2
Hammer x 3
Harness x 2
Hempen Rope (50 ft.) x 20
Horn x 2
Lantern x 4
Lantern, Bull's Eye x 2
Listening Cone x 2
Manacles, Iron x 1
Map Case x 12
Mirror x 6
Oil x 20 pints
Pitons x 60
Sacks x 10
Shovel x 3
Snares x 4
Ten-foot Pole x 1
Tent x 12
Tongs x 2
Waterskin x 12
Writing Case x 12
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

OOC
Personally I'd like to go to the 'Discovery' first.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Another warrior, Armantine thinks of Ko, grateful to have the man by their side. His gruff nature is amusing to her, and she thinks back to some of the monks she'd met in her life.

She smiles and nods at Zemi, remembering her too from the Sea Wolf. Young, but capable. She will prove a stalwart addition to our pack.

The Sister follows the rest of the scouting party to the tents. She cranes an ear toward Bagagos, finding some difficulty in understanding his meaning beneath the thick mountain brogue.

"I suggest we first cross off the wreck of The Wanderer," Sister Armantine offers. "They sunk so close to their destination — disconcerting, to say the least. It might shed light on what dangers we face. We may also find further supplies and salvage. It is also near, in case we encounter trouble. Perfect to mark our inaugural scouting mission together."

And, it is the most westward point within reasonable access to the Port. If the Archbishop survived the Doom of the Albatross, then it is possible she drifted on flotsam toward the western shores. We must rule them out first. She looks to the others, hoping that her reasoning will sway them to her interests.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Heidi watches and listens as each person introduces themselves, curious to see which tensions flare out in the wilds. A Consortium goon, a heretic, a dwarf under Amardovis, and several explorers. It seems I am one of the outliers in a predominantly exploration-focused entourage. Hopefully the dangers we face are mininmal, I do not like the idea of being so outweighed by Explorer's Guild interests if any decisions are put to a vote.

"I concur with our dear Sister," she concludes, partly out legitimate agreement, but partly a ploy to earn Armantine's trust. "You make good points about the shipwreck, but also - as much of a stretch as it might be - what better place to hide, if there are any survivors from the failed camp here? Perhaps we will be lucky and locate survivors in hiding in or near the abandoned ship, and supplies otherwise." It is unlikely to be inhabited still, but we cannot rule it out. Learning what caused the wreck, though, will be quite important. Any attempts to make a return trip could be in danger.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Raj cocks his head as more introduce themselves for this expeditionary force. Quite the assortment, like one of those variety packs of sweets and confections back home. You never know quite what you'll get, and whether it's a raspberry-filling or a dagger through your heart, hm? Cynical, but who can afford to let one's guard down?

He looks at each of the volunteers, mentally considering what their own motivations might be. Guess at this point, survival unites us.

He nods to the pious woman, stepping forward a bit from beside the Consortium lead. "A sound suggestion. Dried grain and other foodstuffs may have even survived if its containers remain unbroken. Or even seeds we might plant. Less trial and error as to what of this land is edible if we can just plant our own... provided it can grow." I'd rather avoid the disaster of cultivating something native only to find out it'll kill us all. Death by poison is not pretty.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin followed the others to the new tent, and politely bowed to the dwarf who was to be their new intermediary. "The shipwreck would be a good spot to check- there might be some supplies there that we could make use of, or even, perhaps, more information on how they became shipwrecked." He says, looking between the new group, almost missing the old group.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Armantine looks first to Heidi, then Raj, mildly surprised her suggestion was taken with little countering. I would have thought these two would prefer to move inland, and scout for resources. Though... as old Lucarte once said, the easiest coin to earn is the one you take from the pocket next to you. That wreck could hold a fortune for our expedition here. She turns to the other members of the scouting party, curious if they will fall in line or propose their own idea.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Some of the timber may still be salvageable for use in simple construction," Heidi adds, as the merit of Armantine's ideas continue to be discussed by the others. "Should the wreck be safe, and the wood rot-free, the carpenters can begin disassembling it and using what they can to set up more permanent lodgings in place of our tents, before we are able to get a proper logging camp set up." Though that is a big 'if' if the events so far are the norm for this region. Those explorer's fought lizard-beasts as soon as they disembarked, I can only imagine what we will find in a dilapidated shipwreck.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"I agree there is merit to visiting the wreck. It might hold valuable supplies. But I have to disagree on the notion that it'd be the best place for survivors to hide. As a landmark for regrouping the large tree makes more sense than a wreck that might wash away in a storm. And let's not forget the place marked discovery. It is by far the most interesting in my opinion. It could be a safe hideaway, housing survivors or it could have been a major find. Concerning resources, the ships planks could well be useless, and if not are rather certainly dangerous to retrieve while there are trees plenty around. The food might have spoiled, been eaten by the beasts, or been taken by survivors already." Doran replies, still smiling.