The 2nd Fleet: Journey to the Edge of the Known World — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Namelessjake »

The orc splutters, coughing up blood as he looks at Ilmoto. "I ain't no rat," he says, a small smile forming on his face although you can't tell if he is just grinning through the pain or if he's enjoying his own defiance. "Why should I tell you anyway? Just because you came in here and killed all of us?" he asks, managing the longer sentences more easily now as he continues to become more lucid.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima blanches at the orc's words, and she stays quiet. It is true, she considers. We did take their lives. But abduction of this magnitude? This became life and death before we showed up to this warehouse.

It was not the first time she has seen death, even by her own hands. Even still, their violent engagement lingers in her mind, staining the innocent excitement she previously felt toward the expedition launching today.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"We came here because of your actions, which were clearly at the direction of someone else," Caoimhe says to the man, standing and stepping closer when it is clear he can respond. "Whoever convinced you to kidnap these three surely knew that they would be searched for, and left you to fend for yourselves against unknown danger. Why show loyalty to these people now, when they clearly thought so little of you to begin with?"

Mechanics
Diplo, per request: [1d20+1]=4+1=5
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Rats keep to themselves anyways, and don't cause much trouble. Ignoring the orc for a moment, he glances around the room at those they've killed, wondering if he might still use his special talents.
OOC
Is the dude we followed to the warehouse among the dead?
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by BartNL »

Why can't these things be easy. Rats are survivors, smart animals, and here we are stuck with one who possesses the intelligence of a rock who prides himself for his lack on intelligence.
"I think that's a pretty good reason actually." Ilmoto replies.
"Who's your boss, and why were you ordered to kidnap our companions?" Ilmoto calmly asks the orc again.
"You either help us out, or we'll find a way to make your life worse. Don't think we'll just kill you, I am a lot more creative than that."
Ilmoto grins, realising to orc has already given them everything they need to make him talk.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The orc scoffs at Caoimhe's words but listens intently as Ilmoto talks. "That's no different to what the Velnoks will do to me,"  he says to Ilmoto, the man's words seeming to cause him to open up a little. "I don't know why, I just do what I'm told,"  he adds.

Louie
Looking at the dead you do spot the body of the orc you followed to the warehouse.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"The Velnoks?" Zima repeats, the name sounding familiar, though she is unable to place it. So he is simply doing the task given to him. A dangerous one, and immoral. But what would cause someone to volunteer for this sort of job? Kidnapping for coin? I hate to consider what the worse option was.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"I've got two options for you; we can let you go and make sure the Velnoks know you talked. Or you could start talking, and I'll find you a place on a ship heading far away from here." Ilmoto tells the orc.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

He did not even answer my question, Caoimhe thinks, mildly annoyed by the man's rudeness. Clearly he is afraid, but of what? Death is already near for him. What can these people do to him that death is preferable to speaking? She listens as the others continue their interrogation, unsure what she can add to such things. 
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie frowns as he spots the corpse of the man they'd followed, realizing their apparent captive wouldn't believe an illusion of a dead man. He sighs, listening on to the interrogation. Kidnapping people, no questions asked, and not even knowing why you're doing it? That's pretty pathetic. I'd always thought Groznidians were made of tougher stuff, but I guess they're just lemmings.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The orc seems to mull over Ilmoto's proposal for a moment before speaking again. "What do you want to know then?" he asks, implying he agrees to Ilmoto's terms. "Like I already said, I don't know why we had to kidnap them," he adds with a shrug.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Who gave you the orders to kidnap these people?" Zima asks, content to question the man now that Ilmoto's tactics seem to have worked. "And what were you going to do with them next? Hand them off? Keep them here?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"My boss," the orc replies, pointing over at one of his deceased compatriots. "We were just going to keep them here until tomorrow then let them go he said," he explains.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie glances over at the corpse of the apparent boss, frowning at the lost information. Guess we won't be getting anything out of him. Not unless someone here is really skilled in necromancy. He sighs. "And who's his boss? Akare?" the elf says, crossing his arms as he expects the merchant lord to be responsible for the orders.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well Akare is everyone's boss," the orc says in reply to Louie. "He reports, reported-" he continues, correcting himself given his superior's recent demise. "-to a man named Hrogar."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Hrogar," Zima repeats, turning now to Tofyr. "The person you were seen speaking to last night. Do you remember anything helpful about this encounter at the tavern?"

It seems this treachery runs deeper than I had hoped. Can this expedition be doomed to fail from before its launching? She keeps her worries to herself for now.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie frowns as the familiar name rings through his ears. Just how close to Akare is this Hrogar, I wonder. Must be pretty high up to be trusted with kidnapping expedition leadership, of all things. He looks towards Tofyr as Zima asks her question, wondering the same himself. His memory can't be completely lapsed, can it?
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Ah yes Hrogar. I remember speaking to him for a while," Tofyr says in reply to Zima's question, stepping forward to join you by the wounded orc.

"I'd heard the rumours he was connected to the unscrupulous side of things here, but I gave him the benefit of doubt as a fellow, some what prominent, figure in the expedition. It was quite a pleasant conversation as far as I recall, although now in light of all this I suspect he drugged me, which certainly puts a dampener on the evening's proceedings," the guild expedition leader says.

"Then the New World Trading Company definitely sought to lessen its competition on Quellam's shores," Zaivil interjects.

"I fear there's not much we can do to prove it. Especially so soon to our departure. It would just be their word against ours," Ser Elvia adds, joining the conversation. "At least their efforts were unsuccessful thanks to the five of you. We should all remain on guard though. They may be plotting further sabotage," she says.

From outside the distant roar of a crowd suddenly cuts through the ambient noises of the city.

"I imagine that will be for Lord Amardovis. We should return to the ships," Tofyr says upon hearing the cheers.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

After the orc tells them what they want to know, Ilmoto replies with a nod. Ilmoto then gestures the orc to follow while he moves towards the doors.
Hrogar and Akare, those two are playing a dangerous game if these theories are true.

"Yes Tofyr, let's make haste now."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

And there's no choice to remove them from the expedition, is there? Zima asks herself, knowing the answer.

"We should be wary of this Hrogar, and the ambitions of the Trade Company. This is unlikely to be their final ploy when it comes to the expedition," she warns.

The seer takes a step back from the conversation, using her mind to tap into Ilmoto's. What will you do with this conspirator, now that he has given up his superiors? The moment we return with the rescued hostages, they will know that we're onto them. It is... an awkward predicament, yes?
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Ilmoto hears Zima's familiar voice in his head.
Awkward yes. But it's going to be awkward regardless either way. Tofyr is not supposed to show up, and he will if it's up to us. About this orc; it shouldn't be to hard to find him a ship in need of a deckhand and I gave him my word.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima nods, satisfied with Ilmoto's plan of action. She lowers the veil between their minds, thinking alone once again.

The man may be a criminal, but his fate is not ours to decide, she considers. Nor do we have the time. There is a ship to catch.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

It's like being back in the Grystbehn all over again, Caoimhe thinks, as it becomes clear that the kidnappings were indeed done to try to hinder the expedition groups involved.

"We should be wary, yes," Caoimhe responds, nodding in agreement with Zima. "Though once we've set sail, we must all rely on one another to survive in what is to come. If the ancient tales of the elven homeland are to be believed, such petty squabbles will pale in the face of the dangers lurking there. It should be fascinating," the woman continues, a glimmer of excitement showing in her eyes, despite the uncertainty about their future.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Fascinating indeed!" Zima agrees with a smile, though her mind lingers on the word danger.

Many men lay dead or dying here before us, performing whatever operation is afoot. Are more lives than that truly at stake in this ancient land? The thought troubles her deeply.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie shrugs at Caoimhe's words. "I'd hope so, but men like that see cooperation as weakness." He sighs, thinking of the same ancient tales he'd heard all too many times too. "Then again, maybe that will change as soon as a bird-man swoops down and carries someone away." That's if it's not all just some lofty exaggeration. Though those old Elven tomes were quite damning.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin stayed silent as he watched the others interrogate the lone orc. Not really having anything to add, he continued to listen to the surroundings. "Yes, let's go. Wouldn't want to be late to the party... if more work can really be called a 'party'." He said, jokingly.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The orc slowly stands, steadying himself with a nearby crate for a moment before giving Ilmoto a firm nod and following after the alchemist, still clutching some of his wounds. Your group, now four people larger, leaves the warehouse and you make your way back towards the waiting ships. The streets are noticeably quieter than before and are mostly silent as you walk, save for the occasional round of applause or cheers in the distance which grow louder with each step towards the docks.

After ten minutes or so of walking you step back out onto the Groznid quayside, between the Constellation and the Sea Wolf. The crowd has grown considerably since before and is giving Lord Amardovis a large round of applause as you arrive. The aging dwarven noble giving a bow in return from the wooden stage near the Albatross' moorings.

"We appear to have missed his speech," Tenant Zaivil says as you approach the crowd.

"I'm sure it was quite excellent. Comments on the spirit of adventure and so forth," Tofyr replies.

"In that case I should get to the Constellation" Ser Elvia says. "Hopefully the rest of my knights are here and not out looking for me. Thank you once again," she adds looking at the five of you rather than her fellow captives. She then turns into the crowd and begins making her way towards the second ship of the fleet.

"Likewise, the Albatross awaits," Tofyr says, lighting up with excitement. "Safe travels all," he adds giving you a wave before setting off towards the flagship.

With their departures, you continue making your way to the gangways leading up onto the Sea Wolf, where you find Iloron Dorquen still going over a manifest - although no longer accompanied by Talrelia who is travelling on the Albatross like Tofyr. You notice his owl, Taroka, circling around the ship's masts overhead.

"Ah you're back. I trust everything went well?" He asks, smiling upon seeing your return. "Who's this?" He asks pointing a quill at your Kurnish companion and raising an eyebrow.

Jokkuk," the orc replies, looking to Ilmoto for further explanation.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima's shoulders slump as she realizes they missed the inaugural speech from Amardovis. This is shaping up to be a more shaky beginning to this expedition than I had hoped. The seer sighs as they step aboard the Sea Wolf, finding Iloren and his trustworthy owl. She smiles, watching Taroka soar up ahead. At least she is there to brighten our spirits.

"What remains of Tofyr's captors," Zima admits, glancing at the man apparently named Jokkuk.

Kurnish names are so harsh, and stern-sounding, she considers, saying the man's name in her mind once, twice more. They do not flow from the tongue like the names from home. 
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin nods at Zima's explanation; "Tofyr and several other leaders were kidnapped. They've been returned safely to the ships." He glares gently at the kurnish male. "I do hope that this is the last of our troubles before we reach the island..." He looks back towards Iloron. "I believe we are ready to leave. At least, I am." He smiles now, looking past him and out towards the open sea.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"I promised to find him a place on a ship away from here." Ilmoto answers.
"He has given us information that put some things in a different light, information that I think is more than worth the price."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

I suppose things went as well as they could've, given the circumstances, the elf thinks on Iloron's question. He nods along to Ilmoto, adding, "Aye, you might say that information will change the course of this expedition." He decides to leave it at that, rather than explain fully what they've uncovered just yet. Knowing that the Velnoks are this conniving and traitorous at least removes any surprise when it inevitably happens again...
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"That is troublesome, who would do such a thing?" Iloron asks in reply to Taliesin, running a finger through his thin beard. "At least you got them back I suppose."

"Well I'm sure I can find a place for him. No one's going to notice an extra hand," he says as Ilmoto mentions finding Jokkuk a place on the ship in exchange for the information he provided, seeming to take your trust in the orc as enough to act on without prying further.

"In my eyes they have already done the expedition a great service, Jokkuk here included." Tenant Zaivil, who had remained with you, says to Iloren, similarly alluding to the grave implications of what you have discovered. "I should go find the other Tenants. I fear in my absence Reema will have tried to have me replaced," he says apparently deadly serious, before clapping the nearest of you on the back and heading below decks.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Goodbye," Zima offers the Tenant with a beaming smile and a wave as he departs. The Great Library was such a brilliant place. It is almost as old as the deepest tunnels of Peregozuvale, so I am told. I must convince Caoimhe to take us again once we return.

Eventually the seer turns back to Iloron. "So, when do we plan to depart?" she asks. "We missed the speech, so we are... behind the loop."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Out of the loop, enaid," Caoimhe says, gently correcting her lover. We missed the speech, but not the launch of the vessels, so we made it in time, she thinks, mildly sad to not hear their leader talk, but excited nonetheless that they will be departing soon. "Hopefully we will be setting sail soon. The anticipation is almost too much to bear," she says with a light chuckle. 
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie shrugs and smirks at Caoimhe's words. "I don't mind a little longer spent on dry land. Who knows how long it'll be before we feel it again." And Gods know walking on a ship is a chore, all the tight quarters and constant rocking. He lightly stomps his feet on the ground, seemingly savoring in the moment, and the stability, before it's gone.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Goodbye Tenant Zaivil, we should meet again once we have the opportunity."
As Ilmoto hears the others talk about leaving, images from his last great expedition come back to him. The blissful excitement and hopefulness of exploring the dreaded island of Kandoras. Ilmoto sighs. The expedition to Kandoras itself now only existed as fragments hidden away in his memory. The trip back home though, that he remembered clear as day. The deafening silence of defeat and loss. We barely spoke a word after we set sail for home. Will this trip be better, if not will we even make it back alive? I have a wife, a child, two when, no, if I returns. Ilmoto's face turns white, and he starts to sweat. This expedition is cursed before it has even begun, infighting and intrigue will kill all of us. Unless... unless I tip the scales back into my favour. It's the only logical thing to do.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I believe imminently. You're timing was impeccable in that respect," Iloron replies to your questions about the departure. "You'd best get aboard," he adds, gesturing for you to make your way up the gangplank and onto the deck of the Sea Wolf.

Stepping onto the ship you find the deck bustling with as much activity as the docks below. The crew dart about making the final preparations to get the ship underway, while many of the passengers, without any duties to attend to, stand to the side waiting to say goodbye to not just the crowds but the continent too. Following their suit, you find a spot by the railing on the forecastle out of the way of the crew and wait. It is only a few minutes later you see the gangplanks are pulled up as the last of the crew and passengers board the ship.

A moment later, from further up the line of docked ships, you hear the tolling of a bell, to which the crowd responds with a loud cheer. Looking through the masts and rigging of the Constellation in front of you, the great folds of white fabric that are the Albatross' sails unfurl to yet more cheers from the crowd. The flagship of the 2nd fleet catches the wind and begins to move, pulling away from her berth and turning towards the harbour's mouth as she does. 

The crowd's applause and cheers continue, and you see the deck of the Albatross, similarly to the deck you stand on, packed with passengers who wave to the crowd as the ship departs. The onlookers lining the wharf roar with excitement again as a few moments later the Constellation's sails unfurl and the ship begins to follow after the Albatross. It isn't long before you here shouts of the Sea Wolf's crew up in the rigging above you and her own sails are released and catch the wind as you slip your moorings. The crowd cheer once more at your departure, with many of your fellow passengers waving to them as you begin to pull away from the quayside.

As you turn towards the mouth of the harbour and the open sea, the final ship of the fleet, the Espérance, also departs her berth falling in behind the Sea Wolf in the line of ships making their way out of the harbour. You pass a large ship of the Kurnish Navy anchored in the deeper waters of the harbour whose crew also join in waving you off, firing off a cannon in salute as the Albatross leaves the safety of the harbour. Not long after you too reach the harbour's mouth and the crew unleash the remaining sails as you start and you start to pick up more speed with the city behind you beginning to shrink as you begin The Crossing.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima sighs deeply as she stands along the railing of the Sea Wolf, a soft hand clenched around Caoimhe's toughened own. She watches the crowds cheer and hurrah their departure, feeling suddenly caught by the gravity of their expedition. There are few among these lands who can claim such an opportunity as this, the seer considers, knowing her place here is of extreme privilege.

She recalls her life four years ago, her days contained to the channels of Peregozuvale, her entire world no larger than the caverns of Kandoras. How could I have guessed that any of this would be possible? An entire land above our own. And now, we sail to expand our understanding even beyond this continent. The scale of it all makes her dizzy, and she clasps her lovers hand tighter. The feeling of touch brings her back to reality, and she turns to the elvish woman, beaming at her.

"I don't think we will ever experience anything quite like this moment," Zima says softly.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Caoimhe watches in amazement as, one after another, the ships before theirs release their sails and carry onward out of the port. She beams with childlike glee as the same happens for their own vessel, and she stumbles slightly when the ship first lurches forward once the wind catches the sails. 

Feeling the grip of Zima's hands, she turns to face her beloved and can see the lost, far away look in her eyes for a moment. This voyage must feel like for us what she felt coming to the mainland from Kandoras. I can only imagine what she is feeling, facing the unknown a second time. "We'll have plenty of first, exciting moments like it, though," she responds to the woman with a smile, before leaning in to kiss her. 
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima closes her eyes and returns Coaimhe's kiss, relishing the fleeting moment. She leans back and smiles, sighing deeply once again. "I love you," she reminds her, putting a finger to the woman's temple affectionately — a Kandoran gesture of great affection among seerfolk. "And I am looking forward to each and every one of them."

She watches the rising heights of Groznid grow further and further into the distance behind them, the wake of the Sea Wolf reaching in retreat like tendrils. "I suppose we should make ourselves comfortable, no? These decks will be home for the next few months."

The belly of a ship is not too dissimilar to the underground, so it seems. Packed away, and snug, while the world moves around you.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin takes in a deep breath as he takes his first steps aboard the Sea Wolf. He smiles shakily, as his unerring confidence fades for a brief moment -- "My first steps out to sea, and I dearly hope they're not my last." He says, gripping the edge of the boat. He politely ignores Zima and Caoimhe's kiss, as he stares out towards the ocean, listening to the birds above, and the sounds of the water around them. The background cheers and noise and chatter of the crowds was washed away by the excitement he felt as the boat began to set forth. "And off we set towards adventure, and danger, and knowledge! Blessed be the tides of the vast sea as we make our way onwards, the past awaits!" He shouts, finally looking back at the others with a joyful, almost youthful smirk on his face.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie leans against the rail, taking in the city, the continent, one last time as they push off and make towards the expansive seas. He frowns for a moment, thinking of his family back home and knowing it will be some time before he sees them again. Until we meet again, Voreld. Don't change too much while we're gone. He leans his head back, looking up towards the sky and the clouds and knowing they'll be the only familiar sight for awhile. Who knows how this new land will look? Familiar? Or completely alien from what we know?

He steals a last glance towards the fading Groznid Bay, stepping aside Caoimhe. "Our ancestors must have shared this same view centuries ago. What do you suppose they felt?"
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

After the crowds roars die in the distance Ilmoto walks up to the bow, and starts counting birds. Making notes on how many of which species he sees and noting how much time has passed since the ship set sail. If my theory works, we can better predict if we're close to finding land, even if we can't see it yet.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin continues to look out to see, before glancing back towards Louie. "From what I've gathered, it was a mix of fear, and excitement. Fear of the new world, but excitement and joy to be alive, to have escaped. The old world was dangerous, and we may yet be heading to doom ourselves." He said, yet his voice faltered. "I do not know much beyond that. The tales are scattered, and what I could gather held some conflicting points." He smiles faintly, looking down. "Hope. That is what they felt."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I love you too, enaid," Caoimhe responds, after savoring the feeling and the moment with her beloved. She smiles as Zima touches her temple, knowing the significance behind it and feeling very loved in the moment. How exciting, to share such a life-changing journey with such a life-changing person, she thinks, as the city fades into the distance behind them

She is about to agree towards finding a place below deck when Louie speaks. She had been paying so little attention to her immediate surroundings in the sensual moment that she did not even notice his approach. She listens as he speaks, with Taliesin responding, before formulating a response of her own. 

"Fear and excitement," she responds, thinking over his words. "Much like us, though for different reasons. Excitement at the idea of discovering lost cultures, ruins, and relics of the past. Fear of the unknown and possible danger, if our ancestors are to be believed. Those two feelings seem to define this water," she continues, glancing down over the railing to the ocean waters below them, watching as it forms a wake behind them. So many of them lay below its waves too, if the stories are to be believed. An ocean of despair and death, but also hope and salvation. Truly a remarkable place.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima stays quiet as the elves discuss their thoughts of the Crossing, knowing that they share an ancestral understanding that she can only wonder about. Dangerous it may be, she considers. Though I know Caoimhe will be there to protect me. And we have an entire expeditionary force around us, despite our differences. Even more, when we arrive, we will join the ranks of the first fleet, and our numbers may very well double.

She sighs, looking as far as she can across the seemingly endless waters, where the ethereal shapes of the inaugural fleet glide ahead of them just beyond view. I wonder what they have seen, what they have learned so far. I almost feel jealous.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

II: The Crossing

Groznid Bay soon disappears over the horizon as the fleet cuts through the waves. You pass a few fishing boats in the next hour or so but soon there is nothing around you but the open ocean and the deck becomes less crowded as people begin to head below deck, yourselves included. Spirits are high the first few days, with the expedition and Quellam itself being the main topics of all conversations. A pod of dolphins follow the ships for a couple of days, jumping in and out of their wakes in unison for hours at a time - a good omen many of the crew say.

After the first week at sea the monotony of long distance travel soon sets in and the crew and passengers fall into routines. The Sea Wolf, playing host to the guild and the tenants of the Great Library, sees the organisation of a series of lectures hosted by the leading experts of multiple topics and fields from the two groups, which do wonders to break up the days for the academically inclined on board.

The winds are favourable and the fleet makes good headway, although after about six weeks the winds die down before ultimately disappearing entirely. The ocean surrounding the four ships appearing as flat as glass, reflecting only the burning sun from the cloudless sky overhead. With progress stunted entirely with the ships stationary and the lack of a breeze to alleviate the heat of the unrelenting sun, tensions start to rise onboard with a few fights breaking out amongst the crew over various perceived slights. The calm ocean however does give a chance for the expedition to reunite after five weeks split into four. Row boats are lowered and some visits between the ships are permitted with Tofyr and the other guild members traveling on the Albatross coming over to the Sea Wolf for a couple of days. Cheers erupt across the fleet when the flags on the masts begin to flutter when the wind starts to pick up once more on the eighth day of the calm. The sails are soon unfurled once more and it doesn't take long before you are underway again at good speed.

A few more weeks of easy sailing pass but the seas eventually turn. The horizon darkens, filled with large storm clouds as far as the eye can see in both directions and the waves begin to batter the ships as they swell in size. You have already weathered a few small storms on the journey but this one dwarfs them all and offers no route around it. With no other options the fleet sails onwards into the storm, although you can see the concerns of even the experienced crew on their faces. The storm is fierce and goes on for hours showing no sign of ending anytime soon.

You are sat in your cabins below deck at close to midnight, kept awake by the loud creaking of the Sea Wolf as she rocks heavily with waves crashing over the side. Flashes of lightning illuminate your cabin accompanied by thunderous booms which are able to cut through the sound of the waves. Peering out of the cabin window you are just about able to make out the lanterns of the Albatross in the distance as she fights her own battle with the storm. You lost sight of the other two ships a few hours ago as the storm forced the fleet's formation to break up.

Unable to sleep you busy yourself with books, writing or conversation with your fellow passengers, but a short while later you are interrupted by the tolling of a bell above deck. You rush out of your cabin and make your way upstairs along with a few others. Emerging onto the deck near the ship's aftcastle you look to the port side to see the Albatross, the flagship of the fleet, ablaze nearly half her length. The ship is much closer than earlier and with the light from the fire you can make out figures attempting to lower the row boats while others try to fight the raging inferno.

You are unable to take in the sight for long though as another booming thunderclap sounds. A large lightning bolt strikes the Sea Wolf towards the stern starting another fire.

"Get that fire under control or we'll be next!" A heavily Imardanian accented voice shouts from above you. You turn around to see your captain, Aldo Pierna, soaking wet as he wrestles with the ship's wheel in an attempt to keep the Sea Wolf steady. 

Mechanics
Feel free to have your character react to any of the other events to happen on the voyage so far before starting your first round of the skill challenge.

Skill Challenge!
Fight the fire to prevent damage to the ship while also rescuing what/who you can from the burning Albatross!

The Sea Wolf has a pool of 400 hit points which if reduced to 0 will cause the ship to sink. Any hit points lost will not be restored at the end of this challenge, barring a mechanic explained below.

At the end of each round the fire will deal 1d6 damage to the ship per intensity level, before then growing in size slightly as the fire spreads. You will need to reduce the fire's intensity level to zero in order to fully extinguish it.

The Albatross is also on fire and taking damage. Although you can't influence this directly, you can choose to help rescue people from the ship or pull supplies from the water which will later be used to repair the Sea Wolf replacing some of the ship's lost hit points.

You will make two rolls each round, the first of which is an Acrobatics check, DC 12, to steady yourself on the swaying ship. Succeeding this has no effect, while a failure means your next roll is made with a -4 modifier as you struggle to stay upright.

You then may choose one of the actions below. Note that you cannot repeat the same skill check two rounds in a row, you must use a different skill to the previous round.

Fight the Fire - Successes in these DC 14 checks reduce the fire's intensity by 1 level
Endurance - brave the smoke/flames to fight the fire more effectively
Diplomacy - lead frightened crew and passengers to help
Athletics - haul up buckets of water from the ocean by rope
Dungeoneering - quickly navigate the bowels of the ship to bring up firefighting supplies from the hold/buckets of water from the bilge

Other skills can also be used if you can think of an action which would help put the fire out.

Other - these DC 14 checks mostly revolve around saving people and supplies from the Albatross. These won't directly effect the outcome of the skill challenge but will impact future events.

Perception - Spot survivors and supplies in the water, success reveals 1d4 people in water or 1 unit of supplies (your choice)
Athletics - pull people/supplies from the water, success pulls 1d4 people from water or 1 unit of supplies. People pulled from the water have a 50% chance of being conscious or drowned. Drowned people will die in 2 rounds unless resuscitated.
Heal - resuscitate rescued people, success revive 1d4 people.

In order to pull supplies or people from the water, they first must be spotted with a perception check.

Like your ship the Albatross is also taking damage and will sink upon reaching 0 hit points, although from this distance it is impossible for you to tell when this would be. Once the ship is lost, new people/supplies can only be spotted in the water for the next round. The skill challenge will end when either both ships have sunk or the fire on the Sea Wolf is extinguished and the Albatross has slipped beneath the waves. After the skill challenge and once the storm has passed, the crew of the Sea Wolf will use any salvaged supplies to repair the ship by 1d20 hit points per unit of supplies.

Sea Wolf: 400/400
Fire Intensity: 15

Supplies in the Water: 0
Supplies Saved: 0

People in the Water: 0
People Saved: 0
People Awaiting Resuscitation: 0

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Ilmoto calmly closes the book on the effectiveness of different shampoo ingredients he has been writing. Fire is a cruel mistress. He remembered these stern words of his father fondly. Fire is destruction and life. Remember her fiery bite son, or you'll burn.
As the pyromancer get's up he stumbles a bit, but Ilmoto soon regains his footing and starts to cast spells to aid in putting out the fire and using an automatronic hand to aid him in his tasks.

Mechanics
[1d20]=18+3=21 Acrobatics
Arcana check to put out fire: [1d20+12]=12+12=24
Summon mage hand: Mage hand tries to extinguish flames, if possible by using buckets filled with seawater.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima spends the next few weeks in an unexpected peace, content to share in the academic lectures being offered by her fellow guildmates. Despite the gnawing anxiety to reach the island of Quellam, no day is dull for the seer. She makes her rounds throughout the day, fascinated by the roles that the ship's crew holds, and learning all she can from them — how the sails work with the wind, how to follow a current, how to tie a proper knot.

She finds herself drawn into long discussions with Caoimhe and Ilmoto, and — to her delight — the others as well. Taliesin in particular she finds interesting, for there seems to be no end to the tales and myths weaved across the passage of time from the Voreldian elves about their abandoned homeland.

The days with flat winds worry her, though she fills her hours with further research, amusement, and chatter.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-

The bell sounds and Zima startles, dropping her quill and spilling ink on the page. Stowing her utensils, she rushes above deck and finds disaster afoot. As Ilmoto puts himself to work dousing the fires, she is once again reminded of the initial encounters leading to the Kandorans' discovery, and how she led her people. My skill is not with bailing water nor triaging the injured, the seer considers, her worried eyes scanning the stormy waters before them. It is with minds and spirits.

"Everyone! Listen to me. Grab a bucket, find a rope, haul supplies where you can. And watch for fallen souls in the water," she cries out, grabbing one stunned man in particular as she calms his mind. She scoops up a bucket and hands it gently into his hands, before nodding to him and continuing on. "If you are injured or cannot help, then get clear the path and wait for aid."

Zima rounds up as many others as possible, directing their efforts and coordinating. The ship lurches against the heavy waves, and the motions are beyond foreign to her, but she manages to keep her footing as she goes.
Mechanics
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie's eyes widen as he takes in the sight of the burning Albatross in the distance, almost in a daze. He's snapped back to reality by a blinding flash and the deafening crack of thunder as a bolt strikes their own ship. Damn it all... Things were growing quite stale, but this is not the excitement I yearned for. He lets out a nervous grumble, a knot growing in his stomach as he stares out at the turbulent sea, knowing there's no safety or respite for miles upon miles.

His expression grows focused as the shouts become more clear. Easily steadying himself on the rocking ship, he makes his way over towards Zima to aid her in rallying the crew. Knowing morale might be faltering, he instead barks out words of encouragement and inspiration. "Aye! Keep it together and we can overcome anything! We're explorers. We're fighters. We're Voreldians. So let's work together, keep it steady, and save this journey!"
Mechanics
Acrobatics: [1d20+10]=14+10=24

Diplomacy: [1d20+14]=12+14=26