Beyond the Tainted Mire — IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Beyond the Tainted Mire IC

Post by Namelessjake »

"And why did you say AvuulaMEK? Argan asks aggressively, joining the questioning, not caring their hosts have already broken down into tears.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"From the pond out back," Fernya says matter-of-factly, pointing behind her with her thumb. "You think we would eat our friends, our families? What sort of monsters do you take us for?" She shakes her head in disbelief.

"As for them, well." Kahli hesitates for a moment, her face looking as though she's in deep thought. "They are travelers. They felt compelled to aid in our research, a bit more hands-on than normal. They are in some sort of mindless daze, but they should regain their senses soon."

Fernya looks towards Argan and lets out a sigh. "In truth, Avuulamek was our god. But we have forsaken him, as he forsook us. He turned his back on us as we needed him. Thus did we turn out backs on him."

Kahli shakes her head, rolling her eyes. "Fernya found this old hospitality book from Imardin. It suggests piety to instill familiarity and comfort in guests. I told her it was a load of crock!"

BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years

Post by BartNL »

That book could be worth a lot going into Imardin. If this is how they treat their guests, we have a lot to learn or we will stick out like gator in a chowder.
Egash walks towards his hosts and replies:
"I am truly sorry for upsetting you. The book must have meant Imardin piety for Imardin guests. Awfully treacherous those books. I hope you understand that it all seemed very strange to us. Can I borrow that book a while, I'd like to learn more about their strange way of life."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Guvenc looks on at Fernya, not answering her injured question. If they are monstrous enough to turn their people to frogs, it is hardly a leap to suspect them of eating them, too.

She stares at the dazed travelers, studying them for any meaningful signs of life.

"I still do not trust this place," the young tamer whispers to Argan, keeping behind the others. At her feet, Meer has curled around one leg so tightly her skin tingles. She shakes at him harmlessly, and he relents, returning circulation. Stay ready, young Meer.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by FinalTemplar »

Sekil looks around unsure of the whole situation, ready to defend himself if need be.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Sekil would ready an action to shapeshift if he thinks a fight will break out. Form of a crocodile.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Argan nods in reply to Guvenc's whisper. "If the Elder One has forsaken you then I'm sure it is for good reason! He says, tightening his grip on his sword, paying little mind to the others more diplomatic approaches.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

As the others continue to question their would-be hosts, Ravza begins to scan her surroundings to try to piece together what exactly is going on, and if things seem safe or not. She pays special attention to the other 'guests', eager to see if she can determine what exactly ails them.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Arcana to detect sources of magic in the area: 21

Arcana to see if I can tell what effects are plaguing the 'guests': 32

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Yes, and you may keep it, as it has done us no good here," Kahli says rather harshly, ducking behind the counter for a moment and placing the tome upon its surface.

Fernya's eyes narrow upon Argan. "Perhaps he did, but perhaps not. He abandoned us long before this incident. This tragedy." She crosses her arms, studying the man's face and posture. "Tell me, has your god always protected you from danger? From sorrow? From suffering?"

Kahli lets out a long sigh. "I believe it has been a long night, and tensions are quite high. Perhaps it is best if we retire." A loud crack of thunder shakes the building as she speaks. "It is unsafe outside. I suggest you remain here," she says with a firm, authoritative tone. She rubs her temples, clearly annoyed with Fernya and the situation as a whole.

Ravza
[SHOW]

While it wouldn't strictly be described as hostile, you do sense a strange magical presence emanating from within the building, or from the building itself. It seems like a particularly powerful ward or enchantment. It's difficult for you to determine whether it's for protection, containment, or what exactly.

As for the guests, you sense a strong magical force seeming to emanate from within them. It's almost as if their very being has been enveloped in some sort of enchantment, blocking any sense of soul or mind within. It seems like an unnatural, almost forbidden sort of magic that your instructors may have warned about. Their bodies seem capable of simple movement, but anything beyond is out of reach in such a state.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I have no need of a God's protection, Argan boasts. "Sorrow and suffering serve to weed out the weak," he adds through clenched teeth.

After a day treking through the swamp, staying here may be a good idea, these two are no threat either.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

"Please, my friends, let us take up their offer and rest. We need it, and they do not deserve our hatred." Sekil says rather calmly. He drops his voice down to a whisper; "If it is such a worry, Argan and I can take turns keeping watch. I promise."

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Guvenc stays quiet during the debate over Avuulamak's capability or intentions, not feeling as strongly as either of the two. These women seem troubled, but not as dangerous as I had suspected. Still, these other wanderers scare me.

When Sekil speaks up, she considers his words. "Fine. We can stay, if only because of the thunderstorm. We can leave in the morning if it has waned then." She turns toward the others. "Do you agree?" she asks, uncaring that the two women can hear their open discussion at this point.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Uh, alright," Ravza responds, the young woman noticeably less comfortable with their situation since their recent conversation. Maybe they are telling the truth, but they are definitely not as nice as they seemed. That magic they are using feels... wrong.

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Don't ruin this now Argan.
"Thank you." Egash says as he takes the book from the counter and sits down on one of the chairs. From his chair Egash replies: "That sounds like a plan Guvenc, we don't have enough time to sleep in anyway."

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

"Good. Shit's settled then. We're staying the night." Sekil said in a calm tone, relaxing.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I have already eaten," Guvenc says, still leery of the frogs' legs on the table. "I think I will go to bed early. We will need our rest for tomorrow's journey."

She moves toward the open door, looking for one of the spare rooms mentioned by Fernya. "Good night, then. Knock if you need anything."

The tamer turns to Ravza and Fay, speaking quieter. "Or if you want to chat," she says with the faint hint of a smile.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I will eat in the room," Ravza says, before grabbing a small serving of the food and following after Guvenc. Instead of going to another room, she knocks on the strange woman's door, nervously humming to herself as she does. I must tell someone about the magic, and she seems like one who would understand what I mean.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Sekil would wait for a moment before approaching the bar calmly. He would place a hand out on the bar and look up at the two kind women and under his breath said: "I'm sorry for my friends, I feel for your plight and know we cannot afford to scorn such kind bridges. Our village was attacked before we left, that's why they're so ... tightly bound." He says, trying to choose his words carefully.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"A good idea Sekil," Argan says as Sekil mentions keeping watch. He grabs a serving of food and follows Ravza and Guvenc to the room.

"We should probably all stay in the same room tonight, to be safe," he says to Ravza, finding her in the hallway.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"That was quick," Guvenc says, opening the door to find Ravza behind it, and Argan following after her. "Do you want to come in?" she asks, mostly to Ravza.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Yes, if that is alright," Ravza says, slowly chewing on the frogs legs as she stands in the doorway. "I had something I wanted to tell you about, and get your opinion on," she continues, after lowering her voice.

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"I'll take the second shift. Goodnight folk, stay sharp Sekill." Egash follows Argan, taking the book and some food with him. Appearing out of Argan's shadow as out of thin air Egash looks Guvenc in the eyes and says:
"Hi girls. We've got some things to talk about."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Um, sure," Guvenc says, taken off-guard by Sekil's approach. "You're all welcome." She opens the door wide, beckoning you in before closing it behind you all. Sitting on the bed, she makes space for others in the tight room. Meer coils at her feet, his tongue flicking the air curiously as he eyes you with large, dark eyes.

"What is on your mind?" she asks, looking between the others.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"The magic in this place feels wrong," Ravza blurts out, eager to say her piece and be done with it. "I can't tell if it is meant to protect, to contain, or what. It definitely seems to go against the teachings, though," she continues, before looking more specifically to Guvenc.

"You are always reading, I thought maybe you'd have some insight. You know a lot about that sort of thing, right?" she asks, hoping her assumptions about the woman are true.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

After apologizing to the hosts, Sekil grabs some food and enters the bedroom with everyone else.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Oh," Guvenc manages as Sekil enters her room unannounced. "Hey. We are all staying together I'm guessing?"

Turning back to Ravza, she shrugs. "The tome that I have kept is written in Imardanian, and I've read a few more from Nefes' and Fay's collections. I know a thing or two, but I think Fay's the real expert." She states intensely at Ravza. "Wrong how? Does it break the tenets?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I am not completely sure, I was hoping someone with this knowledge could tell me more. It definitely seemed off though." She pauses a moment, before adding, "it worries me."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"It worries me, too," Guvenc says, letting out a strained breath. "I do not like this place. Nothing seems right. If it weren't storming so harshly, I would have never allowed myself to stay."

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Sekil just sort of paused, not looking up. "S-shit, sorry, I heard we were all bunking together, for safety. Sorta forgot you didn't hear that bit." He said, mildly embarrassed. "That was incredibly rude, I'm sorry."

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Egash sits down next to Guvenc, and gently lays the Imardanian book in her lap.
"It'll be ok Guvenc, we all bunk in this room and have a watch." Egash says in a reassuring tone. "Maybe you can understand what the book says. If what it says is true, we won't be able to move around there inconspicuously without adapting."
Waiting for a response, Egash starts unpacking his bedroll.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"It's fine," Guvenc assures Sekil, shaking her head. "All of this happened so quickly. You're all welcome to stay here. It's not my room, it is our room."

As Egash lays the book in her lap, she takes a close look at it, reading the cover, inspecting the binding, the quality of it before she opens it and dives in. Flipping through the pages, she skims for anything of note.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Wisdom check to determine the context of the book: 20(1d20) +8 = 28

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Sekil sighs happily and nods quickly, taking up perch somewhere out of the way where he can eat his food.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Ravza smiles as the others express similar fears, glad at least that they seem to be of one mind on the matter. Content that she has made her case, she moves to find a spot in a tucked away corner of the room, and sits quietly humming to herself as she goes over the events of the day in her head, attempting to work them into a tune that is easy to remember. This will make a nice tale if we all make it out of this without harm.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Guvenc
[SHOW]

Although your knowledge of Imardanian is rudimentary, you're still able to piece together the meanings through sheer understandings of context and a bit of thought.

From what you're reading, the book describes Imardin as an incredibly pious nation, where everyone is a believer of a deity they refer to as the Goddess. She is described as a being of peace, love, and acceptance: ideals promoted in the northern nation. However, you notice the book also contradicts this and states that those not worshiping the Goddess are shunned and occasionally persecuted for their disbelief. Thus, one must always assume someone to be a follower of the Church and act accordingly. The book then lists examples of how this might apply towards welcoming a guest to an inn or tavern.

The book then goes on to describe interacting with the clergy and mentions that the government is run by religious figures akin to shaman, but referred to as bishops.

Finally, you come across a section that details interactions with foreigners. It makes mention of the nation generally welcoming foreigners, but carrying an air of suspicion until it becomes clear they worship the Goddess.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

After a long time of skimming through, reading passages, then moving on, Guvenc closes the book and sighs.

"This place we are going to, Imardin. It is very different," she explains. It is... my home. Once.

"They believe in a Goddess. Those who do not follow their Goddess are seen as an enemy to all. Not unlike our own teachings, actually."

"We must pretend to follow this Goddess. We must lie to be safe. The book says that the people there are to treat strangers as if they are fellow believers in their Goddess, and welcome them as such. If we do this, we may be able to travel without persecution."

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Sekil finished his food and discarded the plate near him to throw away later. He listened to Guvenc speak and considered it. "Does the book mention anything more about their Goddess? What's her name?" He asked. "If we're gonna fake it, we should probably know a little bit in case we are asked."

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Egash listens attentively to Guvenc summarising the book while quietly stuffing himself with the frog legs.
Strange people, and no mention of swamps.

After Guvenc finishes, Egash prepares himself for the night.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Argan half listens to Guvenc and Ravza while he eats, his attention not truly captured until the mention of the Goddess comes up.

"I don't like the idea of pretending to be followers of this false Goddess," he says, voicing his opinion. "If it's in service of the Elder One though I guess I can tolerate it," he adds.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Guvenc shakes her head at Sekil. "The Goddess is her name. I do not believe she is called anything else," she explains. "At least not according to this book."

She nods at Argan, but does not speak. Pretending is half of what I do at the village. It should not be a problem for me.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Re: Beyond the Tainted Mire — IC

Post by FinalTemplar »

Sekil nods. "I pray, then, that Avuulamak gives us mercy, and guides us forward." He says.

Last edited by FinalTemplar on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Guvenc nods at Sekil's prayer, but does not add to it. Our way forward is marked with trouble.

"Unless there is anything left to discuss, I shall sleep," she says, sliding the covers off the bed before gingerly sliding in. Meer wraps up around her feet in a tight coil. A different bed, but he still sleeps the same way. The tamer smiles to herself. I am blessed to have him.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

"Sleep well. We'll need our rest for the travel to come." He says, moving to a spot where he can see the door clearly but still be out of the way.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Seeing Sekil take up a position to keep watch, Argan makes his way over to him. "Come wake me when it is my turn to keep watch," he says become heading off to the room prepared for the party. He finds a bed, and after leaning his swords against the wall besides it he climbs in and tries to sleep as best he can.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

OOC
[SHOW]

Should I post a Perception check as part of my 'Watch'?

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception: 12(1d20) +12 = 24

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Emre had been quiet much of the time, too overwhelmed with what had occurred to speak up. Finally, as the group retires to the relative safety of their private room, he speaks. "The bell tolls. Paradise. Inferno. Lost souls," he says plainly, not elaborating if questioned. He climbs into his own bed, curling into a tight ball and drifts off.

The storm outside eases, though the steady thunder serves to remind that it's not over. However, the gentle rain and warm bed lulls you to sleep, much-needed comfort despite earlier hostilities. With Sekil standing watch, there is a sense of safety. A sense that everyone has everyone's back and each of you will protect one another.

Sekil
[SHOW]

As the others gradually fall asleep, the room grows quiet. The raging storm has subdued for a time, although the gentle trickle of rain and occasional crash of thunder remind you it's far from over. You hear the tell-tale ribbiting of frogs, likely from the pond outside that had been mentioned. A board creaks outside the door and you hear footsteps scurry away, seeming to vanish into the night.

Despite the earlier hostilities and the mysterious footsteps, your watch is uneventful. After a couple hours pass, the storm intensifies again. The building shakes and the rain pours upon the simple roof protecting you from the elements. Soon, it becomes time to wake Argan for his watch shift.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Nearing the end of his shift, Sekil finds himself nearly falling asleep which signifies the end. He wanders over to Argan now and lightly shakes him. "It's time to switch."

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Argan silently wakes and grabs his swords, giving Sekil a nod before he heads out into the corridor to keep watch.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception: 7(1d20) +3 = 10

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Argan
[SHOW]

By the time you're awoken, the storm's intensity has increased again and you find it difficult to hear much through the torrential rain and booming thunder. You manage to hear the ribbiting of what you can only assume are the frogs outside. With each flash of lightning, the shadows dance, but you struggle to see much else in the darkness.

Despite the raging storm out, it's strangely calm inside. Almost too calm, given the high tensions that erupted earlier with your hosts. Nothing appears out of the ordinary, until...

You hear what sounds to be a bell ringing. And not a small bell, like the instruments you ignored in favor of martial pursuit. The bell is booming, standing out from the thunder in an unmistakable way.

The bell tolls.

CLANG!
Paradise, Emre's voice echoes in your head.

CLANG!
Inferno, the whispers said.

CLANG!
Lost souls, and then it was dead.

Silence. Peace. Calm.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Ravza is a bit glad to not be further approached by the others before sleep arrives. She still barely knows most of them, and doesn't quite know how she feels about them. She continues to hum quietly to herself as she fades away to sleep for the evening, hoping the second day of their pilgrimage is far less eventful than the first.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Why are you in my head?" Argan says, as Emre's words echo around his mind. He makes his way back into the bedroom and looks over at Emre's chosen bed to see if the oracle is awake or still asleep.