Escape Trajectory: Makkuro — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Hikaru feels some relief wash over him as the barrel is empty, knowing that's one potential hazard out of the way. Unless it had some kind of gas in it... No no, I'm sure it was empty. He stands back, watching as his friend readies to open the door.

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

As Tess approaches the door it opens like the others had before. The other side is another circular room. This one contains a large circluar trench that surrounds a raised pedestal in the centre of the room. In front of you a couple of stepping stone like stairs lead up to the pedestal, however the pedestal is where your eyes are immediately drawn.

Atop it a large mass of the purple substance appears to writhe violently, as if something within it is trying to break out.

Map
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Something churns deep in Cass' stomach at the sight, and he loses his grip on the drone controller. Catching it before it falls, he takes a sharp breath, his eyes wide and fearful. "The fuck is that?" he whispers. "And how is it still... alive?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Hikaru's eyes go wide as the words escape him, gazing on with dread at the writhing mass before them. "What the fuck..." He takes an unsteady breath and a step back. "Don't get too close." With a shaky hand, he pulls out his compad to snap a picture of it, unsure if they'll be able to handle it and knowing their employers would be keen to know. The fuck kind of body horror hell is this?

greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey
Registered for: 3 years 3 months

Post by greysigil »

"Fucking hell..." Kate swallows the bile rising in her throat. "If we had a xenobiologist they might have an idea, but I've got nothing. Gross as fuck, looks like to me."

She holds at the door, adjusting her rifle in her grip. "Cass, you still got those explosives, in case it turns out to be a real problem?" She asks, glancing at the other techie, then the rest of the crew.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
VI-42016 "Jug" JUGGERNAUT - #c1545d
Katherine "Kate" Meecham - #ff6814
Ezra Wynter // MEDUSA - #91c886
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Hell yeah I do," Cass answers, "You can count me out getting close enough to plant the charges, though. I could work them onto the drone, but that's a one-way trip and last I checked, we weren't getting paid enough credit for the hawk to be expendable."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be able to open the door," Tess responds, disgusted by the writhing mass before her. "We should be able to back away if it comes at us," she continues, not certain that her assumption will turn out to be true if put to the test. Whatever it is, it certainly doesn't want to stay there.

"Maybe we can toss something at it, see what happens," she continues, frowning as she lacks for any other ideas that don't involve immediately emptying their weapons into it. "Unless someone else has a better idea?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Scientific," Cass agrees with Tess' course of action. "That needle you found in the drum, you mind if I try? Experiment one, commence," he says, taking the needle and giving it a hefty, under-hand toss toward the pedestal's edge.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cass tosses the needle up onto the platform. It arcs gracefully through the air before clattering on the strange alien stone. Almost immediately a large tentacle like part of the blob slams down on to the needle with enough force to crack the platform beneath it. Its writhing appears to grow larger and stronger in its motion.
Warner
Asteria Station

Owned and governed entirely by the Asteria Corporation, Asteria station is carved into a large asteroid, with the centre almost entirely hollowed out to create the station's docks, with the other work and habitation levels built around . The entire station has been spun up to create artificial gravity and it slowly rotates on an axis that cuts through the centre of the dock.

It's been a few weeks since you arrived on the station, following a lead on Moro, and you are sat on the cheap flophouse bunk you've been sleeping in the last few nights, planning your next move.

While on Idarete, you caught wind the Anthean noble has been running smuggling operations, between Asteria and the now Escriosian occupied Idarete, in co-operation with some of the pirate crews that call the station home - In particular a pirate Damien Hartjen, who captains an up gunned free merchant - the Kyo Maru. However during your time on the station you've seen no sign of the Kyo Maru being in port. The only strange activity you have seen at the docks are a new gunship known as the Makkuro arriving, leaving for a day, and then returning damaged, and the enormous bulk freighter Alhamdulillah which has been stuck in port for weeks now as striking dock workers prevent it from leaving.

With no sign of the Kyo Maru, you have been exploring other leads which have led you to another pilot who goes by Mover, an old military callsign you assume. The redhead was apparently Moro's co-pilot for a time and while they seem to no longer work together, he's the best lead you currently have.

While illusive, you've heard Mover has recently been seen around the docks trying to secure passage off the station. You could either ask around the striking workers on the docks themselves, or try some of the dockside bars that cater to the off duty workers and pilots. A bar known as The Engine Room is probably the most promising one to start at, being located between the regular cargo docks and the station's small shipyard where the Makkuro is currently undergoing repairs.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Hikaru takes another half-step back, heart racing in fear now as he watches the writhing mass conjure a tentacle. "Hell of an experiment, professor," the pop star says with uncertainty in his voice. "What the fuck is that thing? Let's hope it's trapped in there."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Something we're not getting paid nearly enough to fuck with," Cass answers. "They told us to come back once these tunnels were safe. Only thing that's gonna make that safe is a fucking tac-nuke."

He takes another step back. "Kate, maybe you were onto something with the explosives."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by BartNL »

Warner
*sigh. Another day, no shave. Even the trenches allowed for that. But not this damned space station. Can't give myself away. Better to look like a drunkard hobo for now. Don't want the striking workers to assume I'm hired to bring order either.Warner looks at his unmade bed after getting up, and bites his tongue as he leaves it as it.
"Wanna buy me a drink?" Warner mumbles, slurring his words on purpose as he walks into a group of workers in the hallways of the flophouse.And that should be enough for them to stay clear of me for days. That, and me still looking like I can break their necks before breaking a sweat. Warner thinks back on companions, Valetel, Antheans, Hornets, and how drink and fear turned so many strong of the strong men and women into shells of their former selves in only weeks.Well, of to get me that drink then, the lead on Mover is as good as any. The Engine Room it is.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Holy shit," Tess exclaims, as the force of the creature before them becomes apparent. "Yeah, I'm not going anywhere. Asteria shouldn't either, you want some real xeno experts for something like that. If we can blow it to hell and get out of here, I'm all for it," she continues, turning to Kate to see what she wants to do. What was going on here? This place seems like a mad scientist's experiment from hell.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

Kate's eyes go wide as the appendage impacts the platform, instinctively turning her face to shield from any possible shards that might be flying her way. Looking back at the thing isn't any easier than the first time, but her shock has worn down some, and she stares at it, examining, trying to gauge exactly how mobile it is.

"Goddamn," She says, glancing back at the others, catching Tess' look for a brief moment. "Way I see it, there're a couple ways we could do this: First, keep throwing things 'til we find its max reach, then set the charges there and hope it catches the thing; second, just set the charges here at the door, seal off the only apparent entry or exit, and hope it starves or some shit; or third, and most dangerous, we could try uh, throwing the charges into the center of mass, then detonating them from a safe distance. Recommend against the last one, goes against every safety regulation I know, but it would be damn effective." She shrugs slightly and holds it for a second. "That, or we go back topside and ask for additional ordinance."
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Warner
The workers steer clear of you, buying your drunken routine, and you make your way out into the labyrinthian tunnels that form the streets of this level of the station. You head for the nearest set of elevators, only a couple of minutes away, picking your way through the crowd as you pass several street food vendors and bootleggers trying to peddle their wares.

Arriving at the elevators, you find yourself presented with five options on a holoscreen;
5 - Asteria Corporation Offices & Housing
4 - Outer Habitation & Commerce
3 - Inner Habitation & Commerce
2 - Refinery Level
D - Docks

A few other workers are waiting for a ride down to the Refinery Level, but you hit the button for the docks and step back to wait with them. The elevator arrives shortly and you filter in after a few others disembark.

As the elevator descends towards the centre of the asteroid, you can feel the artificial gravity provided by its spin begin to lessen and the ever present and uncomfortable Coriolis effect strengthen - it is for this reason the company offices and higher end residences of the station are closer to the surface.

The refinery workers disembark, leaving you on your own, but you soon arrive at the station docks and make for where your compad's directions show the Engine Room as being located. It is a short walk, in part due to the strike meaning there are no heavy loading machines to dodge, and you find yourself at your destination only a few minutes later. Whilst near to the docks, the bar is technically located in the shipyard, just off its main drag. It is a narrow building nestled between a warehouse and the office of a small shipping company.

Exempt from the strike, work at the shipyard continues and you can see the damaged gunship, Makkuro, docked outside through the various portholes and windows built into the floor. Workers in EVA suits clamber over it's laser scored hull, their tools occasionally spraying plumes of orange sparks as they work to repair the damage.

You step inside, passing under the model engine bell that hangs above the entrance. The Engine Room is quiet, with only two other patrons, sharing a drink in one of the booths that line the left wall of the bar, and the barman tending a couple of others the bar that runs the length of room opposite the booths. The bartender, a young man in his early to mid twenties, gives you a nod in greeting as you step inside.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Starving it out's not gonna work. It's lasted this long, yeah? Still, I think setting those demo charges is the play."

Cass licks his lips, concern heavy on his brow. "Kate and I can rig them for frontal blast. Spare the hallway, and us — danger close, and all. I checked the specs of what Asteria packs in these things and I'm pretty sure they're rated to blow that fucking blob from back here, even."

He turns to the others, keeping one eye on their adversary. "No better plan. We good?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Send that fucking thing to hell," Hikaru shouts ahead, already taking a healthy several steps back to avoid joining in the demolition. Let's just hope it doesn't somehow make this thing stronger. Damn, wouldn't that be a plot twist. Should pitch this to the studios back home... "Just be careful, and sprint out of there."

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Warner
Warner walks in, and sits down at the bar. Changing his drunken guise to a hangover one.
"Something hot to start my day, please." Warner asks the bartman.
After sitting at the bar for some time, Warner asks the barman: "I am looking for Mover, heard he might have some work for me. Any chance you've seen him around?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Warner
The bartender moves over to your spot at the bar as you take a seat.

"Coffee good?" he asks, already starting to pour you a cup. He slides the hot beverage across the bar to you, before quickly turning away to busy himself with cleaning some glasses.

"Mover? That a name? Never heard of them," he says in answer to your question, keeping his back to you.

Mechanics
Make a Notice/Wis roll.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

"Fair point, who knows how long it could survive down here if we leave it." Kate responds to Cass.

She moves closer to him, slinging her rifle onto her shoulder, freeing up her hands. "Sounds like a plan, let's get to work then?" She says, taking stock of the size of the room, doing the mental math of how to shape the charges to maximize the explosion inside the room while leaving the hallway unscathed.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

!

Post by BartNL »

Warner
"Coffee good." Warner mumbles back.

Mechanics
Notice [wis]: [2d6+1]=6+1=7
Last edited by BartNL on Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Here, Cap, take this for a sec. Don't crash it," Cass says, handing him the controller for the voidhawk drone. With a swift nod to Kate, he pulls the two salvaged demo charges from his pack, handing one to her. "They're still dangerous within a few meters around the sides and back, so let's set a 15 second timer, start it, then get the fuck back to the lift. We can use the drone to check our work after. This whole mine could be unstable after, if this structure's keeping any of it in place."

Mechanics
We will shape both charges, place them where we are now, facing the blob, set a 15 second timer on them, activate them, then all retreat.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cass and Kate set the charges to be remotely detonated, and you retreat back through the tunnel, while the strange monstrosity continues to writhe.
Mechanics
Cass and Kate roll demo charge damage.
Warner
From the bartender's tone and body language you are pretty sure he is lying. He seems to be trying to cover for Mover for some reason.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Warner
"Don't lie to me kid." Warner replies sharply as he catches the bartender in a lie.
"Let Mover know an old pall of Moro needs to get off this planet, and is buzzing to meet him. "

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

You set the charges on a 15 second timer and run for the lift. As you reach the middle of the mine, where Anderson and the dead xenoforms lay, you hear an explosion behind you which shakes the entire mine. While the mine remains structurally secure, the tremor dislodges parts of the ceiling above you and rock rains down around you.
Mechanics
Demo Charges Explode dealing 24 damage as per discord.

Make an evasion save.
Warner
"Whoa! Hey!"  The bartender says, spinning back around to face you. "Look, I don't want to get involved in any of that shit, whatever it is. I try and keep my nose clean - which is harder said than done on this station," he explains.

"Besides, I've not seen him in a while, that's what I told the last guy too."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Warner
"Two lasts questions then. When was the last time you saw Mover, and who's this other guy?" Warner replies, after calmly taking a sip of his drink.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Shit, rocks coming down," Cass cries out as he hurries toward the lift. He takes the drone control back from Hikaru, trying to pilot it forward while his feet slap stone.
Mechanics
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

Creed sprints back to the elevator with the others and as the mine begins to shake, letting loose stone and dirt, he tries to avoid as much of the debris as he can, diving out of the way toward the elevator.
Mechanics
Evasion, DC 12 = [1d20]=9
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Gritting his teeth, Hikaru makes a mad dash for the elevator, attempting to dodge what rockfall he can. Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Mechanics
Evasion, DC 13: [1d20]=11

greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

The rush Kate feels from the explosion going off turns to ice in her veins as parts of the ceiling cave in. Good job, you forgot to account for the material surrounding the room, and the fact that you're setting off explosives underground. You should have seen this coming. She berates herself mentally as she runs back to the lift.
Mechanics
[1d20]=8 vs 14 Evasion Save
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Tess rushes with the others to escape the mines, doing her best to weave past the falling debris from above. Why the hell did they only set a 15 second timer? This was a bad plan.

Mechanics
Evasion save, DC 12: [1d20]=17
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

You all leap away as rocks clatter down around you, although only Tess is lucky enough to avoid getting hit. Thankfully the rockfall subsides as quickly as it started and no large parts of the ceiling dislodged, meaning you escape with a few bad bruises and cuts but nothing worse. Cass was also able to pilot the Void Hawk out of harms way and it remains unscathed as you all regroup and dust yourselves off by the elevator.
Mechanics
Cass fails evasion save and takes 5 damage. 3/8 HP
Creed fails evasion save and takes 6 damage. 8/15 HP
Hikaru fails evasion save and takes 1 damage. 10//11 HP
Kate fails evasion save and takes 3 damage. 9/12 HP
Tess passes evasion save and takes 0 damage. 10/19 HP
Void Hawk takes 0 damage. 15/15 HP
Warner
"Like I said, I'm not getting involved," the bartender replies, holding up his hands as if to say there's nothing more he can do. He starts to move further down the bar away from you, attempting to get back to his work.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Hikaru presses against the elevator's wall, brushing the rocky dust from his hair and assessing his minor bruises. Thank fuck, we're all in one piece. His eyes scan over his crew, seeing what state the rest of them are in. "Everyone alright? No broken bones or bruised egos?"

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Ah, fuck," Cass cries out as a falling rock catches him above the ear, causing him to lose his footing. He catches himself, reaching for his temple and finding blood on his fingers already. As they near the lift, he stoops, catching his breath. "Sorry," the tech manages. "Never... actually done that before. At least it was quicker than that blob-shit could break out and take our toys. I'm good, just stings like hell. You?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Couple bruises and scrapes, nothing more," the idol says, wincing as his fingers rub across a tender wound on his arm. "Can hope that eldritch horror didn't fare as well. Let's get out of here, yeah?" Hope it's dead, whatever the hell is was.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I'm no more beat up than I was before," Tess responds, as she remains standing near the others. "What about you, though?" She asks Cass, stepping over to him to look at his wounds. "I saw you get hit a few times." Worried for us when he's the one to get hit. He needs to take better care of himself. 
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Warner
Warner scoffs. "Looks like you are one of the last people to have seen Mover. If two people can figure that out, more can as well." Warner replies. "Sticking your head in the sand is the one way you can be certain this will come back for you."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I'm fine," Cass protests, licking his lips anxiously. "Really." He gives Tess a look of gratitude, a soft smile coming through the pain on his face.

With a nod to Hikaru, he gets the void hawk back in the air. "Let's get one last look, make sure we didn't make a bigger mess. Then, yeah, let's get the fuck out of this tomb."

Mechanics
Piloting the void hawk back to the blob to get some footage.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Alright," Tess responds, a frown forming on her face as she sees the man's injuries, despite his protests. He is too selfless sometimes. "Hopefully the explosives got it, I don't especially want to go back in there if we just made it mad."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The Void Hawk glides down the tunnel and disappears into the ruins, the entrance hole unblocked by any of the fallen debris.

Looking at the drone's feed on its controller, you see that the structure remains undamaged inside, with none of its corridors having so much as a crack in their walls. Reaching the large chamber where you had set the charges, blast marks from the explosion char the room, although again there is no structural damage.

The drone's spotlight and camera sweep up to the pedestal where the alien monstrosity had been. It appears to have been torn apart by the force of the Demo Charges exploding, with charred fleshy chunks scattered around where the larger mass had once been. It appears to have been a sac or cocoon of sorts, as amongst them you can spot things that might have eventually become limbs, as well as claws and teeth.
Warner
The man appears to weigh up your words for a moment before replying.

"Ok I guess if it's going to get people off my back," he says. "I last saw him maybe a week ago, he came in for a few drinks - seemed real worried about something or other."

"The last guy was some big heavy, bald, inked up - the usual kind of Asteria pirate or ganger, I couldn't tell you which though. There's too many gangs and crews to keep track of, and this is mostly a union bar. Don't get too many pirates here."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Warner
"Thanks for the coffee." Warner nods, pays for the coffee and get's up to leave for the docks in search of Mover and this Asterian pirate. Should've expected something like this to happen. What the hell has Moro been up too.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Huh," Cass manages, squinting at the drone control screen. "That... shouldn't be possible, under normal conditions. Whatever they built that facility out of, it's beyond tough. Completely dampened the explosion. No structural damage. The fuck sort of Mandate tech can do that?"

He cracks a smile as the drone nears the alien mass. "The blob? Not so lucky." He shows the screen around, the gore of limbs and flesh and claws the only remainder. "Other than the possibility of a cave-in, I'd say this place is secure now. Yeah?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Goddamn," Hikaru manages, nearly speechless as he looks at the aftermath on the screen. "Guess another one of those spiky fuckers was growing in there, or something else equally horrible." Least it's dead now. Though this is the part of the movie where it forms back into a blob right when we think we're safe... No, no, it's dead. It has to be.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Warner
After paying for your drink, you head back outside and make your way towards the commercial docks. The large wide corridor that forms the spine of this level of the station appears to curve up into the ceiling in the distance, a reverse horizon of sorts, due to the shape of the station. You make your way along it, leaving the shipyard area behind.

Soon you behind to see large doors on either side of the corridor, painted with sequential numbers they are the cargo airlocks of the docks. This area is much quieter than you would assume is usual. With no cargo loaders or heavy machinery at work. Instead there are only a few others around, using the docks to get from one place to another.

You do see that further ahead there are large numbers of what look like dock workers milling about, stood talking or sat on cargo crates - of which there are many scattered around.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Warner
Warner approaches some of the workers sitting around. "Any of you regulars in The Engine Room? Just looking for an old friend who used to frequent that place."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Warner
The nearest group of strikers stop their conversation and turn to face you.

"We've been known to grab a drink there after a shift," one of them says.

"Yeah, who're you looking for?" Another asks.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Warner
"Mover, red-head pilot."
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey

Post by greysigil »

"No shit..." Kate replies, equally as perplexed as Cass. "I mean, we rigged them to avoid the structures pretty well, but yeah... I'd think there'd be some kind of marking or damage."

She glances at Hikaru. "At least one, looks like there could have been multiple." A grimace crosses her face as a thought crosses her mind. "Or some kind of amalgamation of some kind? Eugh. Not something we have to worry about now though, far as I can tell." She looks at the others. "I'm good calling that clear enough."
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Warner
"Ha! Haven't seen him in a while. If you find him, let him know he stills owes me fifty credits," one of the workers replies.

"He owes me thirty," the other adds. "I wouldn't be surprised if he owed someone else a lot more, that's probably why he's laying low."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Warner
"Just my luck then, thanks nevertheless." Warner nods in greeting before walking down the docks. Looks like I'll need to find that pirate guy. Warner sighs.