The Firstborn — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
ratwizard
A Wan Smile
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: The Firstborn IC

Post by ratwizard »

"Spirits? These take the form of beasts, then?" he asks Sisera. "Pumas? Wolves?" The orc shakes his head. "I'm sorry to pry. I've just always wondered."

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

"We'll that's fine by me," Alierin says agreeing with the others. "A large group of elves should be a fairly intimidating sight at least," she adds.

"Should we round up the others?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Aye," the man replies to Alierin, his confidence now bolstered by his cousin's encouragement. Noticing Sisera deep in her conversation with the bookish orc, he walks over and says, "Sorry to interrupt, but we need to leave soon, Sisera." He walks further down and gestures Erevan, seated alone at a table, to rejoin the group.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Sisera shakes her head, thinking to large objects she can compare the beasts to. "No, big. Very big. Like our boats. Some in water, some in air, some on land. All hungry," she replies, hoping the description will get across the magnitude of the creatures that plagued her people for so long.

As she sits, pleased with her conversation, she notices Aeron's approach. "Ok," she responds to the young man when he comes by. Turning back to the orc, she says, "sorry, must go. Thank your for talk, very nice." She gives the man a polite smile before standing to follow Aeron back to the others. Once near them, she asks, "learn good things?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron nods to his foreign-born elven friend as he begins to lead the group from the bar. "Alierin has a potential lead on Kiros," he tells his group, keeping quiet so wandering ears don't overhear. "It may be dangerous but we can handle ourselves." Eager to get their search underway, he gestures for Alierin to take the lead.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Alierin returns Aeron's gesture with a nod and starts making her way out of the tavern, expecting the others to follow. "Follow me. And stick together, we're less likely to run into trouble if we look like a big group," she says.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Good," Sisera responds to Aeron, following him and Alierin out of the tavern. Danger, huh? It will be interesting to see what these orcs can do, living their lives with such weak gods around. I will need to speak to that man again, she thinks, as she follows the others towards their next goal

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

As you move to leave the Tacked Barrel, a pair of elves from the village approach, a man and a woman. You recognize them as Mavrill and Goeni, siblings who came to Groznid over a decade ago.

Mavrill hails you in your ancestral tongue. "Greetings, young ones. I see you're traveling in numbers."

"Wise," Goeni offers, knowingly.

"Yes," Cymril says, looking between them curiously. "What brought you two here tonight?"

"Ill news." Goeni shifts uncomfortably, turning to face Erevan. "Your father has had an accident."

The young carpenter turns pale. "An accident?" he echoes. "Is he... alright?"

"It's too early to say," Mavrill says through a tight-lipped grimace. "You should come back with us. He would want to see you."

Erevan nods, his face a mixture of fear and concern. "Of course." He turns to Vaylen, beside him. "I'll... see you later."

Vaylen shakes his head. "No. I'll join you. Let's go see your dad." He gently pats his friend's shoulder. "He's tough. He'll pull through."

"Be safe," Cymril says to the four as they part ways and head back toward the hovels. Within moments, the other elves are out of sight and the four of you remain.

Following Alierin's lead, you make your way toward Ramjan Lumber, staying close together through the piers and streets that are a mixture of ruin and dilapidation. Along the way, Cymril takes a wary look around. "I suppose we're no longer as large of a group as we were before," she says quietly, her voice a bit more worried than usual. "Ember backed out, too. I caught her as she was slinking away from the bar. Think this is still a safe call with only the four of us?"

[sblock=Nytholis]The tip you got from Aeris turned out to be true. You'll have to remember to thank her tomorrow. After following Mavrill and Goeni for what seemed like an hour, you finally found them.

Sisera and the others are standing outside of what appears to be a seedy tavern. Within a few moments, two of the boys have left with Mavrill and Goeni, and the rest are on the move. You begin to follow them.

Feel free to make yourself known or creep along — your call. If you are creeping after them, please roll a stealth check.[/sblock]

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron watches with a solemn expression as the news is relayed to Erevan, knowing such sorrows must not be easy to face alone. "Be well. Family and community is all we've got, so keep it close," he says as he bids his companions farewell. With Cymril's word on Ember, Aeron cannot help but sigh. Maybe it was a lot to ask of people. At least we've still got the four of us.

Trying to stave off any worries before the seeds take root, Aeron replies, "Even the four of us are a force to be reckoned with. I'm sure of it." After all, these orcs aren't so big compared to us.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

Nytholis watches from afar as the group sets off, his eyes falling on Sisera finally, staring after them for a moment lost in thought. After but a moment he shakes his head, bringing himself back to the present. Come on, Nyth, this is your chance! Don't screw it up! he thought to himself, and ran up to the group, trying to get their attention. "Hey, hey!" He called out, trying to get them to slow down or stop long enough to explain he wanted to help them.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Yeah I'm sure we'll be fine. We can handle ourselves," Alierin says echoing Aeron.

Hearing a shout from behind, she stops and turns around to see Nytholis approaching from behind. "Hey yourself," she calls out.

"Any of you know this guy?" She asks the group quietly before Nytholis is close enough to hear. Out of instinct her right hand hovers over one of her daggers.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Vaguely. He can be a real ass," Cymril offers quietly, staring at the newcomer with confusion.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Great," Aeron remarks to his companions, rolling his eyes as his cousin shines light on the man's identity. "Exactly the kind of thing we don't need distracting us right now." Looking up at the newcomer, Aeron shouts back, "What do you want?" Must not be the brightest if he's out here by himself.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Nytholis slows down as he approaches the party and catches his breath. "My apologies," He finally stops, now only a few feet away, and bows, "Nytholis, here to offer my blade. I heard you all were taking on a job, and might need help. So... I'm here." He stands up tall again and smils, looking around at the party. He normally wouldn't be so cheery but he knows that if he acted as he normally would, they would turn him away without a second thought.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Sisera listens solemnly to the news of Erevan's father, but does not speak. Another land, but still hardship, she thinks, remembering the many hardships she'd faced before traveling to this new place. She is pulled out of the memory, however, when a strange voice is heard.

Turning to face the newcomer, Sisera is initially wary like the others. She does not reach for her weapon, however, feeling that even if the man means them harm that she could take him on. Strange to travel alone at this hour. He must be brave or foolish.

When the man introduces himself, she finds his words odd. "Gwrandawwch gan bwy?" she asks, still wary of him, but less so than before. Could he not have spoken up earlier if he wanted to come?

[sblock=Elven translation]"Heard from whom?"[/sblock]

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Nytholis sighs and looks up to the sky. "Aeris told me. I would have shown up sooner but I was late getting there," He looks back at Sisera, immediately tempted to get snippy but tries to keep a level head in front of the elf of his dreams, instead saying; "Yn gyntaf oll, Sisera, gallaf eich deall chi." Nyth once again glances around their party, slightly infuriated now that they clearly think so poorly of him. "I can fight just as well as any of you! I would not draw a blade on any who come from the homeland unless they posed a threat to my own life, but I'm just as strong as any of you!" He exclaims, a slight spark of emotion boils up inside of him now, threatening to burst.

[sblock=Elvish Translation]"First of all, Sisera, I can understand you."[/sblock]

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Doeddwn i ddim wedi gofyn yn y daflen hon rwyf wedi meddwl na allech chi," Sisera responds, rolling her eyes at the newcomer. So desperate to prove himself. I guess we will see if he is as skilled as he claims to be.

[sblock=Elvish Translaction]"I'd not have asked in this tongue had I thought you couldn't,"[/sblock]

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron sighs, his eyes rolling as the newcomer's disposition becomes somewhat arrogant. Knowing there's a job to be done and not wanting to waste anymore time, he says, "If you want to prove yourself, then fine. Just keep your temper under control and don't do anything you'll regret." Beginning to walk once more, he adds, "We can't afford to screw this job up."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well if you're joining us you should probably know what we're doing," Alierin says to Nytholis. "We're looking for some Orc's kid. He's been running with a smuggler who goes by Kiros, who we're on our way to politely ask some questions. I think that gets you up to speed," she says, looking to the others to see if they want to fill in anything she missed.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Nytholis nods, biting his tongue as to not say something that might piss them off. He starts to walk with them and looks at the ground, before he realizes what to say next: "Do we know what this kid looks like? I feel like just looking for "an orc child" could be considered a wild goose chase." He asks, hoping they had a good description of him.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Well we know his name is Berek, for starters," Aeron replies to the newcomer, hoping to catch him up to speed on their job. "He's about as tall as his father," he adds, estimating the height with his hand. "And pretty thin. His father said he's 'built like a sapling.'"

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Nytholis nods again and shifts his stance, standing straight now. "Well, I suppose it's time to continue." He says and blinks quietly, trusting them to point the kid out when the time came. In his eyes, at least, that wasn't enough to identify some kid. "Like I said, I'm here to help." He says enthusiastically, holding out a hand. "Shall we go then?" He finishes, waiting on them to continue.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Within minutes, you reach the shipping district of Vozto, the small island containing the Southward Docks. Around you, warehouses line the cobblestone streets, their wood-and-stone frames stout and sturdy. A few crews of sailors and laborers pass you every so often, lighting the way with torches. When they pass, the moon illuminates the city street, casting wide shadows.

Ahead, Alierin spots the Ramjan Lumber warehouse. Outside of it, an orcish man leans adjacent to the double-door front entrance, toking from a crude pipe of some sort. He turns toward you initially, but passes you little mind, more intent on his piece.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"That's the warehouse Kiros operates out of up ahead, Alierin says to the others, pointing out the building with a subtle nod so as not to alert the Orc standing guard. "The one with that Orc smoking by the door," she says to clarify in case no one caught her nod. "Anyone have an idea on how we should approach this? It's your group isn't it?" She asks, looking to Aeron in particular.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Well for starters, we shouldn't go in looking for a fight," Aeron says, his eyes glossing over his fellow group members, particularly the newcomer eager to prove himself. "I'd say we keep it straight-forward and assertive, but not hostile. We don't need to cause trouble if we can avoid it." Why beat around the bush? All we want to know is where the son is anyways.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"How about ask 'you know Berek?'" Sisera replies, not really fully aware of the situation at hand. Why must we be so roundabout with the search? If he comes here, we can just ask.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Cymril returns Sisera's question with a worried frown. "I fear that might be too... direct?" She sighs. "What's the plan, Aeron? Are you going to speak to him?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron sighs at the impasse at hand, knowing he's expected to choose between the two. Recognizing the part of Groznid they're in, Aeron remarks, "Someone in this type of place might prefer something more direct." Mentally preparing himself for the interaction ahead, he adds, "I'll go talk to him. Watch my back in case something goes wrong." Taking a deep breath, he approaches the orc.

"Excuse me, sorry to bother you," he begins, raising his hands to show he means no harm. "Have you seen a guy named Berek around here lately? He hasn't been home for awhile and his dad is worried sick."

Mechanics
[SHOW]
[sblock=Mechanics]

Diplo: 16(1d20) +12 = 28[/sblock]

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

As you approach, you notice the orc has a long, thick iron club belted at his waist. He looks up at with you bored eyes as he takes a long pull from his pipe, blowing it your way. "Hm?" The man squints at you for a moment. "Never heard of him."

He resumes leaning on the wall, even less focused on you than before.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron feels slightly dejected as the man has no knowledge of the orc boy they've been tasked with finding. Not ready to give up yet, he says, "Is Kiros here? The dad made it sound like he'd know." Here's hoping Kiros isn't too unpleasant.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

At the mention of Kiros, the orc turns to you directly with an eyebrow raised, and you notice him fully take you in for the first time. He exhales another breath your way, stooping to tap the remainder of his pipe's contents onto the stone below. There's a pregnant pause before he speaks.

"I think it'd be a good time for you to turn around, walk away, and forget that name." He leans back again, this time with his hand rested on his belt near his baton's hilt.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron grimaces at at orc guard's threats, frustrated that the man is deciding to go down this route. It's never easy, is it? With his hand behind his back, he gestures for his companions to come closer. With his other hand ready to grab his blade if the situation goes south, he replies, "Not going to happen. So either you tell us where he is or maybe we'll just take a look through the warehouse ourselves." He won't be able to stop us while bleeding on the ground, come to think of it.

Mechanics
[SHOW]
[sblock=Mechanics]

Intimidate because we're BIG SCARY ELVES: 12(1d20) +5 = 17[/sblock]

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

The orc looks between Aeron and the others approaching, his face a mixture of irritation and confusion. "Hey. Just — just fuck off for a moment," he says, raising his left hand in a dismissive gesture. He bangs on the door behind him, keeping his eyes on you as he waits.

Almost a minute later, the door creaks open, and another orcish face appears in the doorway. The newcomer eyes you with concern, turning to the doorman. They speak in a hushed whisper for a moment to each other, eyeing you occasionally. As quick as he arrives, the other orc disappears behind the closed door once again.

"Warehouse is off limits, my friends," the leaning orc says with a shrug. "Though if you wait a quarter hour, Kiros will be here. You can ask him about whoever you're lookin' for."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Thank you," the elf replies bluntly, though somewhat relieved the situation didn't escalate. He backs away, returning to his group of friends to relay the information. "Seems our numbers and size did the trick," Aeron mentions to his companions. "Kiros should be here in fifteen or so. We'll get our answers then."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well that was certainly unexpected. I didn't know you had that in you," Alierin says surprised by Aeron's successful attempt at threatening the guard.

"More of the same once Kiros gets here?" She asks.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Maybe Kiros is nicer," Sisera replies to Alierin, hoping they do not need to continually resort to threats to get what they want. Are we really helping the cause if we go around threatening everyone who speaks down to us? Seems like that would only play into the prejudices of these orcs.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

With a sigh, Aeron remarks, "I would have preferred to not resort to it, but it had to be done." He's keenly aware of how it might look to an onlooker, but knows that nothing else was going to work. At least there aren't many people around here. At Alierin's question, he says, "I hope I don't have to, but I'm prepared to if needed. We're doing this for Beamon and his son after all."

Realizing just how dangerous the situation could end up being, he adds, "Be on your guard, though. I don't entirely trust these people."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

After what feels half a half-hour, you finally hear a rap on the doors. The doorman opens it carefully, keeping an eye on you while he speaks with someone inside. The doors close once again and he hails you.

"If you're still looking to talk to Kiros, his boat just pulled in." The orc gives you a slight grin and motions toward the door. "Told you he'd be here. You comin', or what?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Aye. Thank you," Aeron replies to the orcish man as he announces their quarry's arrival. He begins to lead his party towards the warehouse, briefly turning around to quietly relay, "Be on your guard. I don't entirely trust this whole thing, but it's a risk we'll have to take."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

The orc opens the doors for you, and you step into workshop's foyer. The room itself is small, and seems to be used primarily for extra storage and processing. There are shipments of lumber lining the walls, and the air smells deeply pine and something sweet. There are two doors here. Beyond the wide double-door to your left you can hear chatter, occasional rap of a hammer, and what you assume might be cargo being shuffled around.

In front of you, a short orc with a massive mustache stares up at you. "Kiros is in the meeting hall," he says with a grunt. He beckons you, heading for the second of the doors directly in front of you. The man opens it up and heads through into a hallway.

A set of double-doors line the hallway to the left, while a single door lines the right. You follow the man to the end of the corridor, where he opens up another door. Inside, there are several chairs surrounding a wide, long table not unlike the drinking hall you all met at last.

A burly orc sits at the end of the table, with arms crossed, tapping his foot. "Take a seat." He nods toward the chairs. He stares at you uncomfortably, a frown on his face.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Hello," Sisera says, as they walk into the room with the orc. She takes a seat as directed, glancing around the room. More places for drinking. It is a wonder these orcs accomplish anything with so much drinking. "You are Kiros?"

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Nytholis quickly takes a seat when it is offered to him, but he was seemingly in a daze for the last half hour or so. He suddenly realizes where he is and has a quiet moment of panic before bringing himself back up to speed and taking a deep breath, looking up at the Orc. He figures it is still a good idea to let their wise leader do the talking, but he tries to look a little more imposing.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I am," the orc responds, his expression unchanging. "I want you to understand something — you're wasting valuable time for me and my crew right now."

Kiros sits up straighter in the chair, steepling his hands on the table in front of him and resting his chin atop them. "My associate tells me that you're asking around about a missing face." He looks between you, studying each of you in turn. "This time, you're not hearing it from the doorman. You're hearing it from me."

"Forget about him. The more you dig, the more you will regret it. I'm offering you a chance to not get caught up in something that doesn't concern you." He sighs, shaking his head. "Just leave. I don't care what you tell his father. Tell him he ran away. Tell him he vanished into thin air. Tell him he's taking a long shit and he'll be done soon. I don't care. Just stay out of it."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron's eyes narrow upon Kiros as he speaks. So much for Kiros being nicer. Talk about an insufferable prick. He hopes his companions aren't eager to give up, as he is far from done. "Your associate speaks the truth," he begins, eyes upon Kiros like daggers. "But we're at an impasse if you expect us to just forget Berek like that." There's much he's hiding, and we're going to find it out whether he likes it or not.

"I'd like to avoid trouble where we can, but this does concern us. It concerns his father, so it concerns us," he adds, sitting straight up in his chair so as to look imposing and not weak. "Just tell us where he is and we'll leave you be."

Not expecting his points to be convincing enough, he adds, "Besides, this operation of yours. You'd like to keep this a secret, yes?"

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Diplo: 6(1d20) +12 = 18

wow thanks, roller. just what I wanted. mediocrity

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kiros puts a hand to his temple, apparently irritated by your insistence. "He's no longer in the city. Last I heard, he took a boat to Varlek."

He stares at you curiously for a moment, before chuckling, wearing a knowing smile. "I'm not entirely sure which operation you're referring to."

Kiros nods toward the stout, mustachioed orc who has remained near the door. "Please walk them out," he asks, before turning back to you. "I hope you'll understand. Business stops for no man, day or night."

The orc at the door beckons you, ready to lead you out.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron's eyes once more narrow as Kiros makes mention of Berek no longer being in the city. I do not trust this man. Surely he's willing to lie to get us off his case.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Insight to see through LIES: 16(1d20) +10 = 26

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Insight on Kiros: 16

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Aeron
[SHOW]

When Kiros speaks about Berek's whereabouts, he avoids your gaze, his eyes distant. His confidence and flow seem to pick back up immediately following.

Sisera
[SHOW]

You watch Kiros, but nothing in his demeanor or speech seem to contradict what he's saying.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Really? And where'd you hear that from? Your arse?" Aeron replies to the man, growing upset at Kiros' obvious deceit. "How about you tell us where he actually is and we can be on our way." You'd think a criminal scumbag would be better at lying, but I can see that's not the case here.

With the orc's other words, Aeron replies, "Don't play dumb. It's not a good look for you. We both know what this is."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kiros shakes his head again, clearly frustrated. "I was so patient, too." He looks up at Aeron. "You just had to bring this mess back into my own lap." He nods to the man in the hall, who bangs on the wall next to him. Within a short moment, you hear doors in the hallway swing open, the air exchange between rooms causing a short fanning of papers from a table in the corner. Footsteps approach.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Roll initiative, bitches.