The Firstborn — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
ratwizard
A Wan Smile
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by ratwizard »

Dessarius
The young woman listens closely, wiping at her eyes with the sleeve of her coat. "It's okay," she says softly, with the flash of a weak smile that fades quickly. "We were close, Ekel and I. He... wanted to start a life with me. I think that must be why he was willing to be so reckless. To make the coin to get ahead," she explains. "To be honest, I, um... I wasn't sure how I felt about him. But now, I just feel so... guilty."
Alierin & Aeron
Amake sighs, shrugging his shoulders. "Sorry to be a dead end for you. Nothing seemed off last time I came to the shop." He raises a glass slightly, in your direction. "Thanks for the drink, though. You're good kids. If I hear anything, I'll let Ulungi know, alright?"
Vaughn & Sisera
As you linger near the entrance, you see Dessarius approach the young woman. After a moment, he takes a seat. They seem to be talking — the body language quite glum.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by FinalTemplar »

Dessarius
Dess nods slowly, his heart dropping as he listens. Young love... gods above, please don't do anything like that for me, Charon... Though, I suppose it's me doing that for him. Gotta get coin somehow. After a moment, however, Dess gives a slow shake of his head. "I know it's hard, but you can't let yourself feel guilty over that. No matter what you think, or what anyone else tells you... it's not your fault." He puts a tentative yet comforting hand out toward her, though he doesn't touch her, trying to give her space. "I don't suppose he talked with you about... any of the jobs he was doing, did he? We feel like there might've been some... foul play involved and..." He trails off a bit, sighing softly. "We just want to find whoever did this. We didn't really have much time to give him a proper... well, you know. I could walk down with you later, when you've had some time, if you want to say goodbye." He offers, taking a sip of his ale as he gives her a chance to speak. Charon's right. I really could use some work on how I talk to people.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Dessarius
The young woman nods slowly, appearing to understand. As you probe further, she winces, taking a steadying breath. "He didn't say much," she admits. "Ulungi made sure to keep us on separate tasks."

She furrows her brow in thought. "Ekel did mention something... about meeting up with one of our customers, Amake. I guess he used to be something of a fishing legend from what the elders say, but now he just keeps to himself mostly. It was... strange, I suppose, but I didn't think much of it at the time. After all, Amake's been a regular for longer than I've worked there. I figured it was just a special project Ulungi had Ekel on."
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

He's quick to try and move us on. Maybe Aeron will press him harder? That or we could try following him if he leaves soon. If others are involved too he might want to go talk to them, Alierin thinks waiting to follow Aeron's lead.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Sure, we'll pass along word," Aeron says, forcing a smile and giving Alierin a side eye. "Ulungi is pretty devastated about this, so any little bit would help," he adds, trying to lay on the guilt in case the fisherman is hiding something. He's about to stand from the seat but hesitates. "Before we go, I'd just like to ask. You've been around awhile. Can you think of any reason someone would want to rile up the nokve or drive them from their caves? Even if just rumor."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin & Aeron
Amake frowns with a raise of his eyebrows, shaking his head. "They're awful little bastards. Don't rightfully know why anybody would take the effort to rile them up." He scratches his long, wispy beard. "Maybe some hunter, looking for easy trapping? You know, just draw them into a hole or something. Or, no, maybe there's good forage in those caves."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Forage isn't something we'd considered," Aeron says, passing Alierin another glance. Guess that's another log to add to the fire. But could be a red herring if he's complicit. Or a hint if he's feeling guilty. He gives the aged fisherman a nod. "Thanks, we'll pass along your insights. And thank you for sparing a bit of your time." If he is involved, better to not let him know we're suspicious.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin & Aeron
Amake nods. "Of course. Stay safe out there," the fisherman says, raising his drink again to you as he takes a sip.

As you move to leave, you find Sisera, Vaughn, and Cymril near the entrance, sharing a drink. You don't see Dessarius with them, but after a quick scan of the area, you see him sat down with a young woman at a table. You recognize her from Gold Harbor Shipping. They seem to be in a deep conversation.

"How'd that go?" Cymril asks, her eyes wide in curiosity.
Sisera & Vaughn
After a time, Alierin and Aeron return to where you are seated.

"How'd that go?" Cymril asks, her eyes wide in curiosity.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Thanks" Alierin says, giving Amake a nod in thanks as she stands - keeping a cool head and remaining civil, not wanting to alert him to her suspicions. She makes her way back over to the others, waiting for Aeron to join them before speaking.

"I think he might be involved some how. He got real nervous answering our questions," she says.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Just hard to say how deep he's involved, assuming he is," Aeron says, nodding at Alierin's speculation. Lowering his voice, he adds, "Keep an eye on him, just in case he tries to slip out."

He catches sight of Dess seated with the woman from Gold Harbor and raises an eyebrow. "She seemed to take the news pretty hard. I'll bet she knows something. Hopefully Dess is acting the right questions." 
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Dessarius
He tilts his head, contemplating her words. "Amake?... That is strange." He says, giving a soft frown, and looks down at his drink. "If you need me, you can generally find me here, most days." He quickly writes down the name of his mentor's blacksmith shop, with the address, "My mentor's name is Idrial, she runs the shop, I just work there. Thank you for everything you've said, you've been a big help."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"No surprise," Sisera responds, at the news of the man's suspicious behavior. She keeps her eyes focused on him, as instructed, not allowing him to act unseen.

OOC
Sisera will be watching Amake like a hawk from here on out. Lemme know if you need any rolls for this.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Dessarius
The young woman listens intently, giving you a look of gratitude. She reaches out and takes the note, looking down at it briefly before nodding at you. "Thank you. You are very kind. Dessarius, was it? I hope you can find out what happened to him."

You take your leave and head back toward the others by the front of the bar, where Alierin and Aeron have returned as well.

Dessarius returns to the your table at the front of the bar, where all of you have now gathered once more.

"What'd you hear?" Cymril asks, looking at the blacksmith. "You looked like you got through to her. At least, she didn't send you away as soon as you sat down."
Sisera
You keep watch on Amake's position. Once Aeron and Alierin have left, he continues sipping his ale and casually watching the rest of the tavern. You lock eyes for a moment, before his wander on.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Carefully, Dessarius makes his way back to the others, taking a seat with his drink. "What did I hear? Lots." He starts, making the perosnal choice not to talk too in deoth about the ties between her and Ekel. "Sounds like Ekel was doing a personal job for Amake. She said he mentioned to her that he was going to meet up with Amake for... Something. She didn't seem sure, or he didn't tell her more." he said, keeping his voice low. "Sounds like Amake may have more to do with this."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"We're definitely on the right path then!" Alierin says with a hint of excitement in her voice, Dessarius confirming her suspicions and the hint of a successful resolution manifesting in a rare cracking of her sarcastic emotional shield.

"Sooo try and follow him once he leaves or get it out of him another way?" She asks looking around the group.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

"I think that if we're going to confront him again, we should do so not in this establishment, though leaving shortly after him might also put a target on our backs." He says, thinking. "Some of us should leave first, watch from a distance, that way we're not all leaving at once."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron can't help but crack a smirk at Alierin's excitement as Dessarius shares his findings. "Guess your intuition was right. And he doesn't know yet that we suspect him." He ponders for a moment, considering their next course of action. "Following him might be the way to go, at least for a time. Maybe he'll incriminate himself more."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"He noticed me watching him," Sisera responds, at the news of Amake's confirmed involvement. "So he knows at least the three of us as colleagues, but perhaps not the other two," she continues, motioning towards Vaughn and Dessarius. "Maybe we leave, but have the others keep watch, see what he does. We can go to other exits, prevent his escape."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Makes sense," Alierin agrees, glancing around the alehouse to see if there are any more potential exits other than the main entrance they entered through.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin
The Pail o 'Chum is best described as part-varanda. While you entered in a proper doorway nearest one bar, there are easily a handful of other entrances. Further to the far side, away from Amake, the building transitions from proper indoor seating to more of a deck with a second bar in the center. You could easily depart via the far end if desired.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"There's a lot of ways out, so let's spilt up in case he tries to give us the slip," she says, noting how easy it would be for Amake to get away if he wanted to.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Good idea. Just try and keep it subtle," Aeron replies, passing a quick glance across the bar. "Don't wanna attract his attention, or a guard's or something."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

OOC
Let's call it:

1) Main entrance
2) Veranda entrances
3) Rear entrance (closest to Amake)

Who's going where? Are you lingering near the exits inside, outside? Or across the street?

Is anyone staying around to watch for him to leave?
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years

Post by BartNL »

"I-I'll watch." Vaughn replies to Sisera
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I'll take the rear entrance," Alierin says, making her way out of the tavern via the main entrance and then circling the building to arrive at the back door. She looks around, trying to find a good hiding spot or somewhere she will be able to blend in with the crowd, while being able to observe the exit.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I can take one of the bar exits," Sisera responds, as she makes her way towards one of those to lie low, looking for a place that is out of eyesight of Amake's current position to watch from.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Dessarius shrugs, downing his ale and putting his cup down safely. "I'll be nearby. I'm not hard to spot." He says and casually leaves the bar.
OOC
Dess will leave and wander across the street to watch the front entrance from a distance.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I can try around the veranda too then," Aeron says, making his way toward the deck and taking a seat at one of the tables there. He keeps his eyes on the far end entrance, seeing if Amake tries to flee through it.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

You casually depart your table — Dessarius making for the entrance you came from, while Sisera, Aeron, and Cymril head out toward the veranda. Alierin circles around outside to the other side of the building, near the rear exit, while Vaughn remains at the bar to keep watch.

Alierin
Leaving the bar and circling around the building, you manage to find a small alley across the street. A few empty boxes from the business next to it leaves you with a decent lookout position.
Aeron, Sisera
As you make for the far end of the building that leads out to the veranda, you fan out to effectively cover the entire exit. If Amake leaves this way, at least one of you will for sure spot him.
Dessarius
You leave from the entrance you came in from, finding a small shop with fishing supplies across the street. It is open for business currently, and there are a few locals coming and going. You are able to find a spot on their small porch with a good view of the Pail o' Chum's main entrance.
Vaughn
After about 10 minutes, Amake taps his flagon on the table, apparently empty now. He stands up, stretches his back, looks around, and begins to head for the rear exit nearest him — the one Alierin should be watching from outside.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Alierin settles into her hiding place, watching the exit to the tavern closely.

He better not be planning to spend all evening in there drinking, she thinks as she hopes they quarry reveals himself soon.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Vaughn leaves through the entrance watched by Aeron and Sisera. As he leaves he looks around if he sees them.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron settles at his table, biding time until there's sign of Amake leaving. Hopefully we can still wrap this up before tonight.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Vaughn
You make your way to the far end of the building, where it leads out to an open veranda.

You spot Aeron, Sisera, and Cymril outside, who have fanned out and sat at various tables to cover all the exits. They all immediately notice you.
Aeron, Sisera
After about ten minutes of waiting, you catch Vaughn stepping outside onto the veranda, clearly looking for you.
Alierin
After about ten minutes, you see Amake step out from the Pail o' Chum's rear entrance, where he was seated closest to. He does not notice you as he passes the alley. He pulls his coat tight and heads along the boardwalk southward, downriver.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Perfect, Alierin thinks as she stops Amake stepping out of the tavern.

Hopefully the others figure out he left this way and can catch up, she thinks, taking a quick look around to she if her companions are anywhere nearby, before following after the fisherman, keeping her distance so as not to draw any suspicion.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Seeing Vaugh approaching, Aeron gets up from his table and walks over. "He on the move?"
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Yes, heading in Alierin's direction." Vaughn replies.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Got it," Aeron responds, giving Vaughn a quick nod as he heads toward Alierin's occupied exit. Hopefully he doesn't catch on.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin
You leave your hiding spot, trailing after Amake. He continues along the boardwalk at a casual pace.

OOC
If you want to continue to trail him, roll a stealth check.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Mechanics
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Sisera nods to Vaughn, before heading slowly towards the same entrance the others are converging on. He seeks to leave through the back, so he clearly means to sneak past. What else does he have to tell us?
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin
You trail Amake, doing your best to keep low and blend in with the crowd, taking what opportunities you can to keep out of direct sight from him. He continues along the boardwalk for now, either not noticing you, or not paying you mind if he does.
OOC
Are you just planning on following him all the way to his destination? Or are you looking for a moment to corner him?
Aeron, Sisera, Vaughn
You make your way off the veranda onto the street, circling around the front of the building.

On your way, you spot Dessarius lingering across the street at a fishing supply shop. Cymril beckons him to follow.
Dessarius
After about ten minutes, you see Vaughn, Sisera, Cymril, and Aeron making their way along the street in front of you. They appear to be headed in the direction that Alierin was meant to be covering, the back entrance of the bar near where Amake was seated. Cymril notices you and beckons you to follow.
Everyone Except Alierin
Roll a Perception check to look for Alierin and/or Amake
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron looks around for signs of Alierin or Amake.
Mechanics
Perception: [1d20+2]=19+2=21
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Mechanics
Perception: [1d20+5]=6+5=11
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Mechanics
Perception check: [1d20+11]=8+11=19
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Alierin
Alierin continues to follow Amake, hoping the others will catch up.