Way Down in the Hole — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
KupoTheMagus
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by KupoTheMagus »

Gladia brandishes her blade, getting in close to Boulder whilst using her blade to glide along the hilt of his Halberd. Getting in close, she gives him a pommel tap on the chest.

"You've picked up a couple new moves, Boulder. Where'dja learn 'em?"

Mechanics
Something's getting in the way
Something's just about to break
I will try to find my place
in the Diary of Jane

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Namelessjake »

"Exactly," Atrix says at Cassandra's words.

"My priority is finding my wife. Hopefully the Unfettered can help me with that. If not - I'll be on my way," he adds in answer to Lin's question, keeping his voice low at mention of the Unfettered.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Alerio frowns at Lin's apparent discomfort, still displeased with the pressure that brought the man along. Happiness is not found for him here, try as he might. "It is hard to say how long we may remain here. We shall see where Josie's organization has need of us," the Talon chimes in, giving the young man a side-eye. 
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Velasco & Josie
"Not killed, but perhaps eventually that would have been correct," Josie responds to the man, having let Velasco take point prior to this moment. "Old prey laid a trap for me, and I unfortunately did not catch it until it was too late. Spent some months in the hole until several of us managed to escape, including a number of the people above. Then spent the last few weeks traveling with them, working my way back here. But do not worry," she continues, anticipating push back from revelation. "They are all good, and most are actually seeking to join up with the Unfettered. The last, the foreigner," she continues, smirking slightly at the irony, "is actually in need of our help to free his family from slavery."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alerio & Atrix
Lin nods, seemingly finding what he was looking for in your answers.

Cassandra steps forward to the bar, reaching over and behind it as she grunts in mock effort. Wresting free a few flagons and a spare bottle, she pours a couple glasses of what appears to be wine. "I don't think this guy will mind if we serve ourselves," she says, sliding them down to you one by one.
Velasco & Josie
"The Hole," Azmati repeats, his eyebrows raising high. "And together, you and these people have broken free of that place?" He smiles at Josie. "I had heard rumors, but hardly gave them much thought. It is heartening to know that many seek to bolster our numbers. But please, make yourself at home, above. I will have word sent for Krendal, or another, to meet you here once more. Do you need anything until then?"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Velasco & Josie
"We've been on the road awhile, and it has not been a smooth experience," Josie says matter-of-factly. "Food, drink, and lodging - even if just for tonight - would do everyone good. My room at the Marcel house isn't nearly large enough to host anyone." Maybe just one, she thinks, her mind drifting towards the odd, yet pleasant interactions she's had with Cassandra over the past weeks. She might like to see my home. "Do you think you could arrange for that? It need not all be in the same place."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Velasco & Josie
Azmati nods sagely as he listens. "My resources and reach may yet be limited to the corners of this establishment, but for all that resides within it, I can move mountains. Especially for one of our returned flock," he says, with a wink at Josie. "Consider it done."

He turns to Velasco. "And you, young sir?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Atrix smirks as Cassandra grabs the wine and flagons from behind the bar.

"He doesn't have much say in the matter either way," he says, picking up one of the flagons. He brings the vessel to his nose, first swirling it before taking a deep sniff. He then raises the wine to his lips, taking a swig. A little acidic, oak barrel. It's no Imardanian red but surprisingly not bad for a place like this, he thinks as he tastes the wine.
Chanchabruhh
Vigilant Resolution

Post by Chanchabruhh »

Pōhaku responds with a grin and a hint of playfulness.
"A fighter's got to keep a few surprises, Gladia," he replies. "I've picked up a trick or two since our days in the Ring."
Active Pcs
Boulder(Pohaku)
Kairon Lergaros, The Shaded Jester
Eldrin Stormblade, Tempest-born Avenger
Kaze Mori the Gunpowder Titan 
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by BartNL »

"She's fast. And strong. But she's always had more talent than proper training. Not like me." Hadrurus replies softly as Gladia and Boulder face off. "I fought her on occasion. Won some, lost some. Crowd always liked her better though." Hadrurus analyses the battle with no sign of emotion on his face. "Like me, she's best in a team. In a real fight, Boulder would crush either of us, like a boulder would crush, well pretty much anything."
Mechanics
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Gladia, Hadrurus, Pōhaku
Gladia's agility gives her an advantage over Pōhaku for the second time, allowing her to push past his defenses and tap his chest with the pommel of her sword.

Yzgo nods, listening to Hadrurus as he watches the sparring continue. "The crowd can be a powerful boon, for you, or for your enemy. Only a veteran gladiator will recognize that charisma can go just as far as prowess. In the Ring, at least. The fight we seek is of a different nature, though no less brutal."

"You demonstrate a keen approach," he says to Gladia. "Once more, now. But this time, Pōhaku shall test your defenses."
Hadrurus
As you watch Gladia, you make note of many familiar techniques she had used in the Ring. She seems to still fight with the same instinct of desperateness, one that you recognize comes from somebody out of options — not like the measured and practiced prowess you and Pōhaku have come to learn under the wing of Yzgo.

Despite this, you sense there is great potential in her.
Mechanics
Pōhaku, your turn to roll Athletics or Acrobatics.
Gladia, roll Endurance, Perception, or Insight.

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"It may look like she's winning, but she's desperate. Desperation wins games, not fights. With more training, your training, she will be truly formidable. And I believe she's one of the few who could hold up to your standards." Hadrurus replies.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

Velasco & Josie
Velasco shuts up and lets Josie talk, not really expecting to be asked if he needs anything. He looks between Josie and Azmati before he begins to talk; "I have very little to ask for. I am thankful to have even gotten back here." For a brief moment, he considers telling Azmati about his outbursts, but he chooses not to. "Just room, food, drink, and good company." He says, "And... perhaps a few moments of privacy with one of our traveling companions. There is one who I have done much wrong and I need to talk to them."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
KupoTheMagus

Post by KupoTheMagus »

Ah shit, this is gonna hurt.

Mechanics
Gladia attempts to parry Boulder's assault. [1d20+7]=4+7=11 Perception
in the Diary of Jane

Chanchabruhh
Vigilant Resolution

Post by Chanchabruhh »

"Let's see if I can match your agility, Gladia."

Mechanics
Pohaku attempts acrobatics against Gladia. [1d20+9]11+9=20
Active Pcs
Boulder(Pohaku)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Velasco & Josie
Azmati nods once more, this time a conspiratorial smile showing through his thick beard. "I can arrange for that. I'll have a room prepared. Come, let us pick a new keg. Now that I know your traveling companions are your friends and not your captors, I will make sure not to poison the ale." He beckons you back across the cellar, pointing out three stacks of barrels, labeled variously. Two of the stacks read in Grystok: Drekkis Red and Balkred Brew, while the third is in an unfamiliar language.
Gladia, Hadrurus, Pōhaku
Pōhaku descends upon Gladia with a sense of grace and measured step that is unfamiliar to her memories of him in the Ring. She catches onto his movement too late, and he is immediately upon her with bladed halberd pressed to cheek.

Yzgo stands up from his leaning posture, his eyes narrowed curiously. "It is as I suspected," the man says, raising a hand to call for a stop. "The Ring has prepared you to fight with ferocity, yet taught you nothing on how to hold back." He smiles, finally, a gentle one as he beams at Gladia. "There is no shame in this. These two stood right where you did, not more than two years ago. And myself, even before them. The Ring has turned us all into survivors. The Unfettered shall teach us how to become more — focusing that power to allow others to survive."

"Pōhaku, thank you for your demonstration, and Hadrurus, for your wisdom." He gives a knowing look to the other men, before turning back to Gladia. "I have heard from the others in the past days, but I would like to hear it from your mouth. Tell me, warrior: what brought you to our doorstep? Your fellows here were free the same night you were, so they say. And yet almost two years pass before you come to stand beside them. What have you learned in that time?"
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Velasco & Josie
Velasco nods in thanks and follows along towards the kegs. "I think that would do well," He says and points at the Drekkis Red. "Thoughts?" He asks, looking at Josie.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
KupoTheMagus

Post by KupoTheMagus »

Gladia says nothing at first, seemingly lost in thought.

"I never thought about it. Gonna be honest? Not much. Thought I could just live on my own, keep running west or north, maybe take a boat. Ended up here; just couldn't do it anymore. Realized I couldn't thrive without a crowd."
in the Diary of Jane

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Alerio shakes his head at the pair helping themselves to the wine, allowing a rare smirk as the antics of some of his companions have begun to grow on him. "I would suppose we are guests of the establishment, and hosts readily say to help yourselves." But I should hope we are not left unattended for too long.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Gladia, Hadrurus, Pōhaku
Yzgo lifts his chin, looking down the bridge of his nose at Gladia as he seemingly digests her response. He lets out a curious hum.

"An honest answer," he admits after a moment. "So tell me, then, another honest answer. Are you here for shelter, and safe comfort? Or are you here for justice, and sacrifice?"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Velasco & Josie
"What is in the third barrel?" Josie asks, her curiosity piqued by the writing.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Velasco & Josie
"It is called a Viremschuld," Azmati answers. "A Tulrissian ale. Expensive to import, but given the circumstances, an appropriate time to celebrate, no?" He grins.
KupoTheMagus

Post by KupoTheMagus »

Gladia shrugs.

"Here to do what I've always done: survive and get paid."
in the Diary of Jane

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Gladia, Hadrurus, Pōhaku
Yzgo chuckles for a moment, before frowning. "Survive and get paid," he repeats slowly. "Neither are promised. Not to any of us. We've lost many friends and allies to our cause, and the pittances we receive in kind are only enough for the most meager of living."

"Gladia, you are a keen warrior, and you share an unbreakable bond with these two. But you do not seem to share the same fire of purpose. Why do you seek us out, and not, say, mercenary work? Certainly you would find much success, as would any who have lived through the bloodshed of the Ring." 
KupoTheMagus

Post by KupoTheMagus »

"It's not like that. I just... haven't really talked to people in a while. It's kind of alien to me to be... I don't know, back in society? Of course I want to do good, y'know? I just... don't know how to be verbal on it. I gotta help myself first before I can help others."
in the Diary of Jane

KupoTheMagus

Post by KupoTheMagus »

Diplomacy
in the Diary of Jane

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"I convinced you with my blood and sweat, Yzgo, and you me likewise. Please consider asking her the same to prove her worth."
Chanchabruhh
Vigilant Resolution

Post by Chanchabruhh »

"Gladia is not just a formidable warrior but a dedicated and honorable ally. I've fought alongside her in the harshest of battles, and her unwavering commitment to justice is undeniable. Trust in her, as I do"
Active Pcs
Boulder(Pohaku)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Atrix smirks at Alerio's words, surprised slightly by the rare attempt at humour from the feathered vigilante. "Besides we still mean to pay. If you want to run a successful business, you should never prevent anyone from giving you their gold," he says as he sips at his flagon of wine.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Velasco & Josie
"I think it would be nice to try something new," Josie responds, intrigued by the foreign ale. "I can't imagine we will see the opportunity again soon."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Gladia, Hadrurus, Pōhaku
Yzgo listens to the three of you in turn, all the while focused on Gladia. "It is true — one must be able to take care of themselves before they should assist others. Let us handle the former, then, and you can prove you are capable of the latter."

He waves to the room around you, where a few cots are spread out against the walls; most lie empty and tidy, though a few have bags or other small possessions tucked under them.

"This corner of the warehouse — you may use it as a home until we can help you find longer-term housing. In the meantime, continue your training here. Do not leave the premises. Food and supplies will be brought. Over the next few days, others from our ranks will speak with you. Together, we will figure out the best ways you can serve."

The elf smiles. "Listen: if you measure up to even half of the praise these two have sung, you will make a fine agent yet."
Velasco & Josie
"Tsk tsk, your time away has injured your optimism. We shall see a new dawn, and celebrate under the glow of the sun." Azmati gives his widest smile yet. With a start, he pulls one of the kegs down from its stack, hefting it over a burly shoulder. "Stay here for now. I will have Krendal meet you soon."

About ten minutes pass, after which you hear the creak of the plank stairs again. Krendal appears, her dark brown complexion reflecting the candle-light; her dark, tangly hair pulled back out of her face. She looks at Velasco first, then her eyebrows raise as she turns to Josie.

"Ah," she manages, cocking her head to the side. "Not one agent returned, but two — and very much alive to tell her story." The orcish woman licks her thin lips, letting out a slight sigh. "Welcome home, Josie. We were worried we lost you for good."

Krendal turns to Velasco. "We received your message days ago. Those others outside, do they all truly mean to join our efforts? Pardon my skepticism, but it is strange to send out two agents, yet ten return."
Alerio & Atrix
The bartender's heavy footsteps echo up from the hatch to the basement, and he appears with a keg over his shoulder. He places it beside the old one, slotting in a new tap. "I see you've helped yourself," he says, looking over Cassandra's work. She gives him a half-smile. "I apologize for keeping you so long. Pesky things, kegs," the burly elvish man growls, slapping a palm on the new keg as he quickly pours a tall, wooden pitcher of ale for the four of you to share.
OOC
Should you drink the ale, you find it to be pungent — darker than most ales served around these parts. The label is stamped 'Viremschuld' in Tulrissian.
One of the laborers you spotted on the rooftop steps inside. "Finished up for the day," he says curtly. The man pays no attention to the patrons, yourself included.

"Good, good," Azmati replies. "Let me sign your bill, and you can be on your way." He takes a piece of parchment from the laborer, scrawling on it for a moment, before handing it back. The other man nods then steps back out of the tavern.

Ten minutes pass. In that time, a couple patrons leave and a few more arrive. One of them, a bookish orcish woman in her middle-age, steps in and casually makes for the hatch. She wears simple garb, her dark, tangly hair pulled back and out of her face. "Azmati," she greets the bartender, who smiles and nods to her. She continues past with a confident step, making her way down the stairs where Josie and Velasco went.

A short moment after, another man enters. He looks to be of mixed ancestry, both elvish and orcish. He wears traveling clothes and a brigandine vest atop. Belted at his waist, you spot a set of blades of varying sizes. With a loud sigh, he slumps down into one of the bartop seats next to you. "My friend, would you please pour me a drink? And one for my acquaintance here." He turns to Alerio, a wide grin on his shaved face. He is older, grey tufts on his temples, and a thin scar across his chin. "It is good to finally have a buyer. You are... still interested, no?" His eyebrows raise as he looks at you expectantly.
Chanchabruhh
Vigilant Resolution

Post by Chanchabruhh »

Pōhaku nods in agreement with Yzgo's decision. He speaks with a tone of gratitude and determination.

"Thank you, Yzgo. We appreciate your trust and the opportunity to prove ourselves. I will give my all to contribute to the Unfettered's cause and im sure Gladia. We understand the importance of training, commitment, and patience. We won't let you down."
Active Pcs
Boulder(Pohaku)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Alerio looks at the strange man for a moment, unsure of his motivations but quite sure they have never met, nor discussed a business arrangement. Who are you? A conman? Or a fool?
Mechanics
Insight: [1d20+11]=2+11=13
Proc Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes to add [1d6]=3 for a total of 16

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alerio
The man stares at you with a deliberate, knowing look. Based on his attire, as well as his tough physique despite his age, you get the sense he may be an older soldier or mercenary. It would be odd for someone with that level of canniness to mistake you for someone else, meaning he likely knows who you are, or may simply be acting like he does.

You also recognize that he all-but-followed the orcish woman in, who you could presumably guess might be Krendal — Velasco and Josie's handler. In addition, Azmati seems to similarly recognize him.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

He has a familiarity with me that I do not share. Odd. But if he is associated with the associate of the others, I have no reason to be suspicious. He furrows his brow, looking upon the man quizzically for a moment before nodding and deciding to roll with it. "I should like to hear more details, but you have piqued my interest, yes."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alerio & Atrix
The older man nods vigorously. "Of course, of course. Instead of simply hearing about my ware, perhaps I can show you. I have it kept the sample safely locked in rented room — you never know what sort of knave might be on the prowl for such a thing to pawn off to a collector. Follow me, yes?" He stands, suddenly, heading for the stairs, though waiting to see if you follow. "Azmati, we'll be back down for the drink soon enough. Put both on my tab."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"A wise idea," Alerio says, still somewhat cautious but electing to put his trust in Josie. Her circle seems carefully vetted. It it doubtful that I walk into an ambush. Yet still, I should not fully let my guard down. "I will not be long, surely," he says to his other companions, hopeful that they will take action if he doesn't return. Standing from his own seat at the bar, he begins following the strange arms dealer, eyes rapidly scanning his surroundings in case something goes south.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Atrix nods at the bartender's words as he returns. Secrets, games and politics to rival that of the council, he thinks, impressed but also amused by the Unfettered's dedication to secrecy. He sits quietly watching the goings on of the tavern as he nurses his drink.

The Cru'unii raises an eyebrow as the strange man approaches Alerio. A mercenary of sorts perhaps, he wonders, looking at the man's garb. He knows Azmati. Unfettered also then? This could be a test, he thinks, analysing the situation as it plays out before him.

"We'll be here," he replies plainly to Alerio, as the Talon stands to follow the strange man.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Atrix
Alerio and the stranger disappear up the stairs to the second floor. Several minutes pass, before you see Alerio come back down.
Alerio's Conversation
The supposed dealer leads you up the planked stairs, the bannister replete with a surprising amount of carved detail — an oddity for the otherwise unremarkable tavern. The second floor hosts a hallway, the sides of which appear flanked by several doors. At the end is a small sun-room, furnished with a pair of chaises and a waist-height bookshelf that doesn't obscure the window above it.

The man steps toward a room two doors down on the left. He pulls a key from his waist and unlocks the door, before ushering you inside. The room is empty, save for a modest bed, a small table, a couple chairs, and a footlocker. He takes a seat opposite you, motioning for you to sit as well. "So," he begins. "A friend of Velasco. That's a curiosity. Tell me — what's your story?"

Alerio takes a seat across from the man, residual tension making it less than comfortable. He attempts to relax, raising an eyebrow at the question. So it indeed was a charade. These hoops and leaps are reminiscent of a Crescent Bluff street show... Perhaps I will leave this with a full coin purse, though. "Of Josie more," the Talon corrects, still distrustful of the raven-bearing companion.

"She and I escaped the Kelbis Mines and have journeyed together unto here," he begins, mentally recounting the past weeks on the road. "But I hail from Serra, Eagle Cliff, and have been called an enforcer, a Talon, of El-unod's will."

The man's eyebrows raise at the mention of Josie, his grey eyes watching you keenly as you speak. "A Talon, in the Hole," he says, the words sounding as ridiculous to you despite their truth. He looks over you for a moment longer, his eyes narrowing for a moment before he leans back in his chair. "Then you must have been instrumental in her escape. And yet, with all the spanning horizons of the Ghryst, of Serra — what brings you this far north, to this backwater bay? Did you not hear El-unod's call back to your roost in Eagle Cliff?"

Alerio ponders on the man's words for a moment, seeming to take them into deep consideration despite fully knowing the answer within his heart. "There are wrongs that must be righted, injustices purged from this world. El-unod has chosen a new path for me in this shackled frontier," he says with a self-assured nod. He pauses, considering his next words, before beginning: "Failure of this task is not an option, but I am not so bold as to think I might do this alone. I have need of those I might rely on. And yet Talons in my home are wont to operate independently."

"I have heard of your kin," the man says. "They are a rigid sort, though justice oft demands such." He clears his throat. "You are unlike the usual sort to rally to the Unfettered's cause. Should Josie corroborate your claims, then I have no doubt of your ability, though bear no proof of your loyalty. But loyalty can be tested. Tempered. The others you travel with — and I counted a handful. Have they come for the same purpose as you?"

"That it does. Those who fail to take it seriously are doomed to lose it to chain and tyranny," the Talon says plainly, knowing the stakes at play and having seen oppression all too often.

He nods to the man's words. "I am guided by my principles and by my god. They have led me here, and so I shall heed them and do what I am able for this cause." He stops for a moment, considering what his companions have been guided by to end up here. "They have their own principles, many of which align, but I do wish they have come to aid in this cause all the same, in their own ways."

"The answer of one guided by faith, yet also his own spirit," the man says, scratching his shaven face with a wide thumbnail. "An optimism for your companions to be their very best, yet the pragmatism to realize what a tall order that is. Your words are appreciated, though judgment for each of them shall fall upon myself and my comrades."

He stands, indicating for you to do the same. "You must now understand the demand for secrecy, even in places as sympathetic as Vyridis. Therefore, let this be your first task — however minute. Your companion? The one with the staff, the tattered robes, and the Forellian accent. Send him here next, in a manner that harbors little attention."

Alerio feels a slight moment of pride as his perspective and answers seem to resonate with the man, though it is quickly superseded by his sense of duty. He stands, giving a short nod.

"Indeed, trust cannot so easily be shared when you do not know motivations, values. I will summon Atrix." Giving another polite nod, Alerio steps to retrieve his companion.

As you step to leave, the man holds up a hand. "One more thing," he says. "About the Hole, actually. How much of it do you recall? Its layout, its security?"

"Lacking," Alerio says plainly about the latter. "An abandoned, unguarded mining tunnel provided our outlet, only spiders deigning to stop us." He cracks a rare smirk, still almost astonished at how they just walked out with little resistance. "Though I should not be surprised if it has been heightened after our escape. The core was teeming with them, but the mines themselves offered carelessness on their behalf."

He pauses for a moment, recounting the Hole's design. "As for the layout, it was akin to a labyrinthine tower within the mountain, a confusing array of tunnels."

"Good. Commit those details to memory. We may have need of them one day," the man says, nodding for you to leave.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Alerio steps back into the bar, feeling some relief after the conversation, and lack of ambush, he'd been through. Taking his seat back, he turns towards his companions. "All is well, worry not. His wares were exquisite, but I am unsure if I am ready for such a purchase yet." He looks to Atrix, remembering the instruction he was given. "There is a sunroom up there which may be to your liking," he says to the Cru'unish man. "The morning's light and a fine wine suits you, I believe. Care to acquaint yourself with it?" He leans in closer, lowering his voice. "And knock on the second door on the left on the way there."
KupoTheMagus

Post by KupoTheMagus »

"Can't wait to make a difference, Yzgo. Thank you for the chance."

Gladia places her small bag of possessions on the ground near an empty bunk, clearly travel and exercise tired.
in the Diary of Jane

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

He appears unharmed, so there's that at least, Atrix thinks as he sees Alerio returning from upstairs. More code, he thinks as the Talon speaks.

Let's get this over with, he thinks, as he replies with a simple nod. He gets up from his seat and makes his way upstairs. Reaching the top of the stairs, he follows Alerio's instructions and makes his way to the second door on the left. Pausing in front of the door he knocks twice.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Hadrurus also nods in agreement.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Atrix' Conversation
You climb the planked stairs, the bannister replete with a surprising amount of carved detail — an oddity for the otherwise unremarkable tavern. The second floor hosts a hallway, the sides of which appear flanked by several doors. At the end is a small sun-room, furnished with a pair of chaises and a waist-height bookshelf that doesn't obscure the window above it.

True to Alerio's word, two doors down on the left, a door is a hair ajar. Your knock is answered by a gruff voice, inviting you inside. You comply, and close the door behind you. The room is empty, save for a modest bed, a small table, a couple chairs, and a footlocker.

The older man sits facing you, beckoning you toward the seat nearest you. "Please, sit. Your feathered companion has provided the basics, but I should like to hear your own version. What brings you to Vyridis?" He studies you, his eyes falling to your robes, spotted with road dust and wear, before the staff you carry.

So it is a test of sorts, Atrix thinks. Stepping forward towards the table and chairs, he takes his seat, laying his staff gently across his lap.

"Your question should really be who brings me to Vyridis," the Cru'unii says, settling into the chair. "To which I would say, Lazima Mataal."

"I trust you know the name?"

The man crosses his arms, leaning back in his chair. He stares at you for a moment, before shrugging. "Of course. The Scourge of the Steppe. Do you come bearing her message?" You see a flash of something in his keen, grey eyes for a moment.

"No, she is no ally of mine. In fact it is quite the opposite," Atrix replies. "I came here hoping you would help me find and kill her."

"She captured and enslaved my wife. I mean to get her back."

The older man's shoulders loosen, his brow furrowing somewhat in concern as he listens. You realize when he uncrosses his arms that he had a hand on his hilt. "I am sorry," he says, his voice losing its rough edge for a brief moment, before it returns: "But we cannot help you. At least not at this time."

He frowns, but continues. "Where was she captured? And when?"

"A few days west of Razak, not her usual hunting grounds. And it was several months ago now. I'm aware that means she's almost certainly been sold at this point. However the trail starts with Mataal," Atrix says, choosing to ignore the man's refusal of aid, at least for now.

"I'm sure Josie or Velasco have relayed the information already, but we learned she has an outpost along the river, somewhere southeast of Gorbis but not quite as far as Fort Karstid," he says, recounting the dying Tarkan's words from a few days prior.

"She's grown bolder, then. How did you come across this information? Her outpost."

"I met your associates in Razak. All in need of coin, we signed up to guard a caravan on the road to Habadir. A day out from our destination, we encountered a Tarkan, half beaten to death. We took her with us and later questioned her," Atrix replies, summarising the events of a week past. Though I suspect you knew that already, he thinks, watching for the man's reaction. To what degree are you testing me here? He wonders.

"Black Tarkans, beaten on the road," the man repeats. "You keep strange company. What befell her after this questioning?"

[1d20]=2https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... 84&macid=0][1d20]=2[/url[/url]]

"We struck a deal for her information. She wasn't willing to give up one she called Meko, but she had qualms giving up Mataal," Atrix explains. "After that she was to remain in service to one of the temples. Atonement for her crimes, I believe 'my feathered companion' called it- or words to that effect anyway."

"Meko, yes, the Black Tarkan." The man continues to listen as you explain the ex-slaver's fate. Afterwards, he sits quietly for a long moment, rubbing his breaking stubble with a knuckle. Finally, he knocks on the table, some unknown conclusion reached.

"I will level with you, because it is clear you understand, in some capacity, what our operations are like — even running parallel to them for a significant time." The man meets your eyes, his face stern but not uncaring. "Your thoughts on your wife's fate are likely: she will be far from Mataal's reach by this point. She is undoubtedly a slave. She may be a concubine. She may also be dead. We will collect her name and her description and any other identifying details from you. Should we come across her in our efforts, we will do our best to liberate her, and ensure you are notified."

"But I cannot offer you any help in going after her captor. Not at this moment, at least. Lazima Mataal is but one name among many, and our resources are stretched thin. You've seen such evidence — the levels of subterfuge needed, even in a city as sympathetic as this."

"Organized groups such as the Gray Raiders, Reza Reza... on top of independent tyrants such as Kavox Pruul. In truth, there are several fronts in which we are committed, and Mataal's is... simply beyond our stated reach."

He frowns, nodding his head to you. "I am sorry, for what it is worth."

Atrix frowns, running a finger and thumb through his unkept beard as he thinks on the man's words.

"Firstly you can remove Pruul from that list - thanks to your associates. Then had his head attached to their horse when I first encountered them in Razak," he says.

"You speak of resources. Is it a matter of money or manpower?" He asks bluntly.

The man's eyes open wide at the mention of Pruul's fate. "Truly? That is welcome news." He grins, the first genuine one you've seen of his otherwise guarded emotions. "His death was inevitable, given his sorely rampant nature, not to mention his miniscule outfit. It changes little of our scope, but the symbol of his head will make for a much-needed morale boost. It is no surprise to me that those two played a role in his end."

He seems to digest your question for a moment before he responds. "In truth, both to a degree, though the latter is the chief issue. The Talon has volunteered to join our numbers. What will you do?"

"I am sympathetic to your cause - Syndra's potential fates ensure that," Atrix replies. "That said, I cannot abandon her, as you would ask me to do. Were I to join your ranks and play the loyal soldier, it could be many more months, even years, before Mataal's time comes, no? And even then, as you said, my wife is likely far from Mataal's reach already," he says, gently tapping his staff with his middle and index fingers as he brings himself to make a decision.

"Therefore, instead I have a proposition for you," he says, making his choice. "While I may not seem it now, I am a wealthy and influential man where I come from. I also happen to know of a relatively large group, of which many may be interested in joining your cause," he says. Assuming their freedom is enough for them to forgive their former master.

''I know the Unfettered are not mercenaries to be bought and aimed at a chosen foe. However if you can provide me with a small ship and crew, I would return home. In a few weeks, a couple months at most, I would then return with gold and fresh recruits for the cause, enough to greatly aid your operations. All I then ask is that you focus some your efforts towards Mataal. A problem you would surely seek to deal with eventually regardless," he proposes. "Preferably capturing her alive," he adds with a smile creeping across his face, as he imagines her suffering under interogation.
[1d20+11]=16+11=27https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... 86&macid=0][1d20+11]=16+11=27[/url[/url]]

The man stays quiet as you speak, the slight frown on his face betrayed by the look of consideration his raised eyebrows show. "Your proposition is an interesting one, and something better discussed by my leader. I cannot deny there is merit to it, even though it edges upon unchecked fantasy. It bears many holes, as well. First, your claim to wealth and influence. Of here, you seem to hold neither. You are Cru'uni, no? Explain why a man of your standing would find himself along the Ghryst, far from his home, and even further from his wife."

"And this 'group,' you say. Who are they? And what sway do you hold with them, that they would leave their home to fight an unfamiliar war?"

"Perceptive, I am from Cru'un yes," Atrix replies to the man. Beneath the table, out of the man's line of sight, he wraps his fingers around his staff. "I find it hard to believe you have yet to put that all together yourself, but if you must hear it from my own mouth then so be it," he says.

"I was here to buy slaves, and the group I speak of are the slaves I own back on Cru'un," he says, keeping a firm grasp on his staff in the event the man reacts badly.

The man is silent for a moment, before he lets out a roar of laughter, his armored shoulders heaving for a desperate breath. "I, I had an inkling, but I could not be certain," he says, finally, after collecting himself. "I would use many words to describe you, Cru'uni slavemaster, but I will choose one, and that is 'bold.' It takes a mighty arrogance to come all this way, and confess such filth."

"Still, the irony of your... scenario is not lost upon me nor is it unprecedented among our tribe. I have found in my years among this world that she often brings to their knees those of us who deserve it most. Though... not without a helpful push from the likes of people such as mine."

He sighs deep, shaking his head. "I cannot speak for my superior, but I can tell you that your offer will be at the very least considered. Of course, this must come with your unerring guarantee that your slaves be freed the moment you set foot upon your valued estate, and given the opportunity to make their own decision as to join our ranks, or live out their own fate. As for the notion of seeking out Mataal, I can promise nothing. Only the sun can tell what tomorrow's dawn may bring."

Atrix relaxes his grip on his staff. "I will give you my word. I can assure you my feelings on the practice have soured immeasurably," he says, aware that his death would likely be imminent if it would not doom his slaves to a lifetime of servitude. Hopefully I can trust them to see this as enough to be worthy of forgiveness on my return, he thinks, as the thought occurs to him that any assured safety is gone once his slaves are free. Either way it's the best way to help Syndra.

"I would prefer greater assurances with Mataal, but I suppose this will have to suffice for now. Should your leader need any further clarification, they are welcome to speak to me themselves," he says, pleased that his gambit has at least partially succeeded.

"Every single one of us want Lazima Mataal brought to justice," the man says. "Make no mistake. But I will not promise something I lack the ability to achieve." His eyes narrow, the tightness of a grin in his cheeks belying the lack of one upon his lips. "Yet."

"As for your word, it may not be enough, but it sounds as if you have lost most collateral you might once have been able to offer. And yet, your name may hold some worth. Atrix, was it, the Talon had said? And what is your family name?"

"My name is Atrix Setryanil," the Cru'unii responds, interested to see if it was indeed a wise decision to withhold his full name the last months.

"Setryanil," the man repeats, the Cru'uni syllables sounding foreign yet still accurate on his tongue. "Good. You can call me Cymren."

"I will discuss your proposition with our leader, and you will have an answer by nightfall. For now, I have one last question of you. It is about that," he says, pointing to the staff upon your lap. "You are a man accustomed to the service of slaves taking care of many duties for you. If all of this transpires as you say, will you sit back when Mataal's time has come? Or will you fight, and bleed, beside our people?"

Atrix nods, acknowledging Cymren's introduction.

"Very well," he says meaning to stand before Cymren's final question stops him. "I studied at the Aetherial Academy - the world's finest such institution. When Mataal's time comes, I mean to fight besides your people, but it will be her doing the bleeding not I," he says raising his staff to an upright position and letting electricity crackle and arc along its length.

Cymren grunts in tacit admiration at the spectacle, giving you a decisive nod. "You will hear from us soon. For now, please stay with the rest of your companions. I shall speak to them each once I return."

"Until later then," Atrix says in reply as he stands and makes for the door.

Atrix
You leave Cymren's room, going back down the planked stairs and into the drinking hall once more. Alerio, Cassandra, and Lin remain where you left them.
Alerio
After a long ten minutes' time, Atrix returns back down the stairs.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"That was quite the sunroom," Atrix says, clapping Alerio on the back as he retakes his seat at the bar.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I thought you may like it," Alerio responds with a nod and a slight smile. Did all go well with his own discussion, I must wonder. And what is keeping Josie and Velasco?
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alerio & Atrix
After another minute or so, Velasco emerges from the cellar alone.
Velasco
You climb the steps, leaving Krendal and Josie behind in the cellar.

Up top, you see things mostly as you left them. Lin, Cassandra, Atrix, and Alerio sit at the bar, though they have a variety of drinks before them.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Velasco returns up to the bar, giving a soft sigh. The genuine relief of being home tinged with the remorse of just how badly he screwed up the last few weeks. He approached Lin up at the bar before leaning against the bar, whispering; "Can I pull you aside Lin? I think it's time we talked. No secrets, just like i promised."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Lin sighs softly, nodding to Velasco. "Yeah, me too." The two of them find a corner of the tavern, away from the other patrons and out of earshot.

Velasco
"I don't really understand what's going on. Some older guy, maybe a soldier or something, just came and talked to Alerio and then Atrix," he whispers.
​​​​​​​
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Velasco walks off to a corner of the bar with Lin, thinking about just how to word everything.
Velasco
Velasco nods slowly and just strokes his own chin for a moment, giving a soft sigh, "Yeah," He starts, looking Lin in his eyes, and drops his voice; "I'm sorry for how everything has gone. I told myself that things wouldn't go this wrong." He licked his lip for a moment as time seemed to elongate. "I've always been alone- My father was a slaver and I never really agreed with it, so I was an outcast. Besides that, a halfbreed, in his eyes. When I fled my home and came here," He makes a half gesture towards the rest of the bar, "I found a new home, amongst other people who wanted to take the fight back against slavers." He pauses for a moment, letting the words sink in. "I'm one of them. My life's goal, or however much of it is left... is to try and free as many people as I can. To try and make up for the crimes of my bloodline." He gritted his teeth a bit, feeling emotions begin to surge once again, but he pushed them back. "I wanted to bring you with me because... because I look at you and I see my entire world. The bit of beauty that makes all of it worth it." He sniffles slightly, trying to hold it together for just a few moments longer.
"I'm not going to beg you to stay, I've pulled you away from your safety and put you through hell since we left Razak, but I promised I would keep you safe, and I plan to continue to do so..." He trails off a bit, taking a deep breath. "They may ask you to become involved in the fight. You don't have to, and I would never ask you to. I just want you here, with me." He finishes, continuing to look at Lin softly.
Last edited by FinalTemplar on Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)