Way Down in the Hole — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Fialova »

"I might be able to get inside," Josie responds, curious about the other buildings not mentioned by the bird. "They might let a stray dog in, even if only with intent to dine. And absent that, there might be gaps I could slip through to take a peek within. The issue would be getting back out," she continues, unsure of the suggestion as she speaks it aloud. If I go in, that means we have to commit to action, or else I will be just another captive to rescue. A tricky situation.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

"I think that's our best course of action," Samiira says in reply to Josie. "My skills require more time than we have at hand here," she adds. Give me two weeks and I could take this fort by myself.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Josie nods, before assuming her less ferocious dog form, looking like a simple mutt hound that one might find wandering as a stray within a city. She turns back to nod to her companions before venturing towards the fortress, glancing occasionally towards the watchers on the wall above.

OOC
What do I see?
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Josie
Leaving the cover of the trees behind, you head north, in the direction of the fort. Above you, the rain comes down in a heavy spray, leaving you pawing through puddle after puddle. You get about halfway there, making your way along a small gully that looks to have formed recently from the week's precipitation.

From here, you can see the southern wall of the fort much clearer — straight-laid, sturdy, and about fifteen to twenty-five feet tall as it cuts along the varied terrain. To the right, the wall ends at a wide, square tower only a few feet taller than the wall. This southeastern tower sits atop the cliffside that leads down to the ocean.

To the left, the wall ends at another square tower, this one quite higher than the walls themselves. Atop it is the remains of a ruined, wooden watchtower. You can see the glow of a lamp and the distant shape of a figure standing watch. From your distance, and the poor conditions, you don't believe they see you at the moment.

Near this southwestern tower, the remnants of a road wrap around it toward what must be the western wall. You suspect the main gateway would be around that corner.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by FinalTemplar »

Velasco grits his teeth, unsure of Josie's choice here... but it must be done. "I feel as though you will move faster than I. Will you go back to tell the others of Josie's plan? Just so we're not alone up here." He asks, turning slightly towards Samiira and gesturing towards his cane.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I suppose we should keep them informed," Samiira says in response to Velasco. "I'll go let them know what's going on," she adds before starting back towards the others. Working as a team definitely has its own challenges, she thinks, used to operating alone.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Samiira
You make your way back through the brush in the direction of the rear party. You find the three of them within a couple minutes — waiting patiently and silently.
Hadrurus, Alerio, Pohaku
As you wait, you hear the soft sounds of steps through the brush. It is only a moment before you see Samiira, having returned from the forward scouting position.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Velasco's raven has flown over the fort. There seems to be a few men on guard duty but most are inside a building in the compound. No sign of the prisoners yet. Josie has gone ahead to see if she can find a way inside the walls," Samiira says as she rejoins the others. "It should be safe for all of us to move up to Velasco while we wait for a sign from Josie," she adds, gesturing for the trio to follow her back towards the young serranborn.
Chanchabruhh
Vigilant Resolution
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by Chanchabruhh »

Pohaku nods in acknowledgment, his expression serious as he absorbs Samiira's report. He follows her lead, moving quietly through the woods towards Velasco's position, his senses alert for any signs of danger along the way.
Active Pcs
Boulder(Pohaku)
Kairon Lergaros, The Shaded Jester
Eldrin Stormblade, Tempest-born Avenger
Kaze Mori the Gunpowder Titan 
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Josie
Continuing onward, Josie will proceed closer to the southeastern tower near the ocean cliffs, aiming to get a view of that area before proceeding towards the presumed entrance to the fortress.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years

Post by BartNL »

Hadrurus signs to move to the fort while maintaining as much cover as possible. "Lead the way Samiira."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Josie
You pad your way eastward through the swollen gulley, giving some distance to the walls. The gully veers off to the south away from southeastern tower and you continue on dryer ground. The tower itself sits on a cliff that overlooks the beaches below. Behind the tower you can see an eastern wall that runs along the length of the cliff. The wall looks in much worse shape than the southern one — its stones marred both from the erosion underfoot as well as what appears to be physical damage. You suspect a previous fire or maybe even a cannonball.

While the cliff itself is quite steep, there is a small portion of terrain outside of the eastern wall that you might be able to shimmy yourself along. You can see on the other end of the wall a circular tower at the fort's northeastern corner. This tower is tall, similar to the one on the southwest corner. While you cannot see it directly, there is a source of illumination there, brightening the walls and tower face, perhaps another lantern.
Everyone Else
Samiira returns with Hadrurus, Pohaku, and Alerio in tow to the forward scouting position held by Velasco. Josie is not with him. Together, you five of you wait within the shadows of the treeline — the fort's southern walls in distant sight.

Between your position and the fort there is a gulley that appears to have formed from the recent rains. You can just make out what appears to be a stray or feral dog pawing its way along the gulley.
Samiira, Velasco, Alerio
You would know that this dog is the canine form of Josie, scouting the perimeter of the walls.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Hopefully Josie can find a way in, preferably one that's not being watched," Samiira as she looks out at the fort from their hiding spot after rejoining the forward scouting group. Do any of them not know about her ability? She wonders, looking at the group she brought up from further back to see if any are surprised to see a dog performing reconnaissance.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by FinalTemplar »

In the meantime, Velasco finds a dry rock to sit on while he waits. As he hears the return of Samiira he gives her a nod. I hope she finds a way in. We need a win here. he thinks.

After some time he sees the returning form of Josie, waving to the little dog.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Chanchabruhh
Vigilant Resolution
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by Chanchabruhh »

Pohaku watches the stray dog for a moment, assessing its movements. He then turns his attention back to the group, keeping an eye on their surroundings as they wait for Josie's signal.
Active Pcs
Boulder(Pohaku)
Kairon Lergaros, The Shaded Jester
Eldrin Stormblade, Tempest-born Avenger
Kaze Mori the Gunpowder Titan 
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Alerio eyes the bestial form of Josie, carefully watching her movements. Perhaps she might even gain entry in such a form. Even the most churlish brutes can be made vulnerable with the whimper of a dog.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Josie
OOC
Does the portion along the eastern wall only look traversable as a dog, or is that something that the others could feasibly go across as well if needed?

Satisfied with her knowledge of the ocean-facing portion of the fortress, Josie returns along the wall towards the entrance, doing her best to sniff around and appear more like a dog seeking food or shelter than a spy seeking intel. Perhaps those at the front will allow me inside, to feed and dry me. 
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Josie
OOC
It looks traversable by dog or humanoid, albeit moderately dangerous if one were to lose their balance.
You loosely follow the edge of the wall, around the southwestern corner with the ruined watchtower atop it and a previously-seen figure.

You sense a slight movement above as you walk — perhaps they have noticed you finally, or they are simply shifting around.

Around the corner, a roughly trod dirt road trails away from what appears to be the main entrance to the fort. Inset into the walls, there is a large, wooden double-door about two body-lengths tall, closed shut. While much of the tower's construction so far appears to be in disrepair, the door, you notice, must be newly built.

Above the door is the exposed remains of a battlement, its broken walkway partially exposed to the outside. Further along the wall is a rounded tower on the western side, similar to the one you could see on the northeastern corner.