The Lion and the Dragon IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: The Lion and the Dragon IC

Post by Scratcherclaw »

It seems vengeance has already taken its hold, Nanako thinks, eyeing the man as he exclaims his intent to kill those who had apparently wronged him.

With a shrug, she adds, "I don't know, having my life decided based upon my father and his father sounds awfully dull. I much prefer the freedom to decide my own life." A life of knowledge and wealth to be had.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by FinalTemplar »

He nods at Kekeng. "I can appreciate a good drink." He smiles at him as they walk. "Are we still heading in the right direction?" He asks.

Last edited by FinalTemplar on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Satomi keeps mostly silent as they begin to move through the forest, however he lets out a light chuckle as he realises the man's story is almost a perfect mirror image to his own. Soldier to Farmer. Farmer to Soldier.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I'm not sure," Kekeng answers, looking for any signs of violence among the brush.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception check to find blood, tracks, marks, etc.: 12(1d20) +6 = 18

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Kekeng
[SHOW]

Near the tree you do spot the faint hint of a trail of more blood and very lightly disturbed brush heading in one direction.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"But I am now." The vagrant points to a faint trail of blood and disturbed brush nearby. He continues walking in that direction.

Zaranius
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Zaranius »

Zara regroups with her companions, retaking her human form, and gestures in the direction they are headed. "Our trail looks to lead this way " she suggests.

"Have any new discoveries arisen?" she asks. Perhaps they already noticed the blood trail.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin looks over at Zara, nodding at their observation."Good, we can be sure we're on the right track, then." He says, smiling.

Last edited by FinalTemplar on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The trail continues onwards for awhile, and you walk another ten or so minutes following it in relatively easy terrain before it begins to get more rocky and rough. The trail is sometimes easier to follow and sometimes more obscured, but after another ten to fifteen minutes in this more difficult terrain you find that the flat-ish forest begins to rise into a hill.

Kekeng, Zaranius
[SHOW]

You can very faintly hear the sounds of speech coming from the direction of the hill, though from where you stand now you cannot make out the source of the voices.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I hear voices," Kekeng says in a scratchy whisper. "Somewhere toward the hill." He turns to the others. "It could be the survivors."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Or the perpetrators," Satomi adds, gripping the hilt of his blade ready to draw if necessary. "We should exercise caution."

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin continues to hold his sword ready in a defensive position, ready to defend himself if bandits were to come out. He starts to cautiously step forward, going quiet and listening for other sounds.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Right," Kekeng nods to Satomi, wearing a grim frown. He creeps along with Jin, his flute at the ready. Or perhaps its both?

Zaranius

Post by Zaranius »

"I hear them as well," Zara adds. "How would we like to proceed?" she inquires. "If desired, I am capable of moving ahead and scouting the situation, further." She adds, suggesting the utilization of her less-than-human form. It seems most logical to gain as much information as possible, before presenting ourselves to this new company.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Oblivious to the woman's suggestion regarding her animal form, Kekeng looks curiously at Zara. "Be careful," he warns her. "We'll stay here for now."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

OOC
[SHOW]

Anyone who sneak forward to scout should roll stealth if they want to do so silently, though it is not required.

Zaranius

Post by Zaranius »

"Thank you," she replies in kind tone, to the musician, "I shall see what I can observe." Zara, once again, takes the form of a fox and quietly moves toward the sound that they had heard. Pray be that these are strangers of the friendly sort... that we might avoid conflict

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Stealth, to move undetected by unknown parties: 9(1d20) +6 = 15
Perception (oof), to decipher the strangers' interactions: 3(1d20) +7 = 10
Perception again(wow wtf): 3(1d20) +7 = 10
Perception again, again (please use this one <.<): 20(1d20) +7 = 27,

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by Slashstick »

"I'll go too." Bao Tap Den follows making as little sound as the transformed woman.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Stealth check to move silently (15). Perception check to observe (13).

5(1d20) +10 = 15; 12(1d20) +1 = 13

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Two should be enough," Satomi says as Zara and Bao Ten Dap leave. "We don't want to risk discovery while scouting out the area."

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin nodded, not openly talking so he wouldn't draw any more noise. I only hope whoever was attacked can be saved... He thought to himself, holding his sword at the ready.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Don't do anything careless," Nanako mentions as the pair begins to sneak forward. Why are we allowing the two most suspicious to do the scouting? I suppose they have the most experience. So long as this isn't an elaborate rouse.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Zaranius, Bao Tap Den
[SHOW]

As you creep forward through the trees and reach more the base of the hill you can begin to hear the sounds more clearly. The hill is quite large and, the speech appears to be coming from partway up the hillside, though not somewhere you can see directly from its base.

Though you cannot hear the full conversation, you do catch a few words or short phrases here and there. "the loot", "where to", "won't find", "move the cart", and "next score" are the few things you can make out from the current distance.

OOC
[SHOW]

Do you want to move closer or not? If you do you will keep your same checks that you already rolled, or you can try a new roll if you are not confident in the last one. The closer you get to the source, the higher the DC will be to remain hidden from them, though the easier it will be come to make out fully what they are saying.

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Not willing to risk discovery, Bao Tap Den turns back to report what he over heard.

[SHOW]

I'll be away from the internet for a few days. If Bao Tap Den needs to do something, then I ask our Dungeon Master to act in my stead.

Zaranius

Post by Zaranius »

Noticing Bao Tap Den's movements back towards the others, Zara states, "I intend to move forward, in attempt to further decipher their discourse. If you are returning to report to the others, please let them know I will return shortly." Zara continues to creep towards the origin of the voices, I hope this group does not provide us with too much of a burden...

[SHOW]

New Stealth: 19(1d20) +6 = 25
New Perception: 6(1d20) +7 = 13
Insight to determine the level of threat posed: 14(1d20) +7 = 21

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng frowns at Bao Tap Den's vague news. "If it truly is bandits that are afoot..." He shakes his head. "We should turn back. I don't like the look of this."

I feel horrible for those attacked, he reasons to himself. But why should I risk my own life? Would they do the same?

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Zaranus
[SHOW]

Though the hill is large and covered in leaves and other foliage, you manage to continue up the side in relative silence, easily able to step softly over the brush in your fox form. After another ten minutes or so you reach a section of the hillside that is flatter than the rest, perhaps artificially so as you notice that it appears to descend to your left at a gradual slope, looking more like a road or path than natural terrain.

To your right, you can see that the sloping continues higher still, and it becomes quite clear that the speech is coming from further that direction, though once more still out of sight. However, at this distance it is much easier to make out what the voices are saying.

"...yeah he said we need to move it, don't want to cause alarm if some other travelers walk by," you hear a female voice say. It is a bit muffled, as if the source is chewing something while speaking.

"That bastard," you hear a male voice exclaim. "Always wants us to do the heavy lifting while he sits on his ass and counts the loot. 'Haul the bodies,' he says, 'tie them up,' he says. Now he wants us to move the cart? Why can't he do it himself?" You hear the sound of spitting, likely from the same source as the voice.

"Shh," says a third voice. "Not so loud, or he'll hear you. It's only a short while we have to work with him, then we'll have enough coin to go it on our own," it continues, another female voice, this one much softer-sounding than the first.

OOC
[SHOW]

Keep listening? Move closer? Head back?

Everyone Else
[SHOW]

For those not comfortable with reading the stuff that Bao Tap Den revealed from the sblock above, here is what they saw and what he'd have reported to the party:

"As you creep forward through the trees and reach more the base of the hill you can begin to hear the sounds more clearly. The hill is quite large and, the speech appears to be coming from partway up the hillside, though not somewhere you can see directly from its base.

Though you cannot hear the full conversation, you do catch a few words or short phrases here and there. "the loot", "where to", "won't find", "move the cart", and "next score" are the few things you can make out from the current distance."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Nanako nods to Kekeng as Bao Tap Den returns with what he'd overheard. "There are likely to be many of these fiends if they have such an organized scheme," she says, not particularly eager to fight more bandits. "I'd also like to cover as much ground as possible, lest that army catch up with us."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"We should," Satomi agrees. "We have no duty to deal with these bandits. If we return to the cart we can be past here before they return to move it and there'll never even know we were here."

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin hesitated but nodded. "I agree." He began to back away slowly.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng follows Jin, keeping a wary eye out for the fox-form Zaranius. Will she see us? I hope she is back soon.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin attempts to whistle towards their fox-friend, before starting backwards. "Someone watch our flank!" He whispers to his new companions and leads the way back to the road.

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Bao Tap Den takes the rear position and keeps his senses open for nearby enemies.
I'm glad we're skipping this fight. I haven't been able to unload the goods from the last scrape.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception check to notice nearby enemies.
14(1d20) +1 = 15[/sblock]

Zaranius

Post by Zaranius »

Zara returns through the forest, to meet with the group. (returning to human form) "I suppose a decision has been made to avoid the ruffians?" she asks, in reference to their movement. "From what I could gather, there were 3 or 4 of them in a small camp. They made reference to disposing of bodies, as well as removing a cart from its current location." she informs them, expressing little emotion toward the situation. "It is likely that none of the cart's original owners survived the encounter."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Too dangerous," Kekeng says quietly, unhappy with the predicament, though firm in their decision. "It's too bad there were no survivors. These roads are dangerous."

He looks to Jin as they walk. "I'm still surprised you've been on your own. I was, once, but not after soldiers, bandits, and everything in between began prowling these roads."

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin nodded. "I suppose I've been lucky." He forced a chuckle. "Can't say it's been easy." He refused to lower his sword in case the bandits rushed out on them, keeping an eye out for any movement.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception for movement: 12(1d20) +7 = 19[/sblock]

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=Jin]You do notice some movements in the distance, though they are small enough and faint enough that you are sure the sources must be small animals scurry about. Nothing about what you see or hear suggests that you are being followed at this time.[/sblock]

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin grunts quietly. "We gotta move. Fast." He says, not wanting to stick around here much longer.

Last edited by FinalTemplar on Mon May 06, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Yes," Kekeng agrees. "Let's return to the cart and be on our way. There is nothing but misfortune to be had here."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Satomi gives an affirmative grunt in reply to Jin as they walk quicker back towards the road.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Yes, no need to stick our noses into dangerous situations that don't involve us," Quen Lu Tam responds, motioning for Suzume to follow as the group makes their way back to the road. It takes some time but the group does eventually reach the road once more, albeit at a different spot than they'd initially entered the forest from. Moving further along down the road once more they travel for some time, but after a half hour of walking the cart still does not come into view.

"Did we really travel so far that we have not reached where we left the carts?" Quen Lu Tam asks, sounding a mixture of confused and frustrated. "Have we already passed this section of road, can any of you tell?" he asks, turning back towards the others with a look of worry on his face.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng nervously scans to and fro, watching for the cart. At the merchant's question, he scratches his head and looks up to the sun through the canopy.

"I... I'm not quite sure," he admits. Perhaps I should have reeled back on the wine, the vagabond considers. No... it enhances my navigation. Surely.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception check to orient himself: 3(1d20) +6 = 9 hahahahaok[/sblock]

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Shrugging his shoulder, Bao Tap Den says "It all looks the same to me."

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception check to see if the party has passed this way before.
2(1d20) +1 = 3[/sblock]

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Nanako glances around their surroundings, hoping to figure out their bearings. Perhaps we walked in the wrong direction?

[sblock=Mechanics]10(1d20) = 10 Well it's better than those two[/sblock]

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin seems confused as well. "Strange." He took a moment to try and evaluate his surroundings.

[sblock=Mechanics]11(1d20) +7 = 18[/sblock]

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I can't tell either," Satomi says. "I would have thought that we would have passed them by now though. Perhaps the bandits weren't alone and their companions stumbled across the cart," he suggests.

And perhaps they had help in causing a distraction, he thinks eyeing Jin suspiciously.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception: 5(1d20) +1 = 6[/sblock]

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=Jin]This section of the road does not seem familiar to you at all, so that suggests it is not a part you have been to before. It seems likely that you have overshot where the carts were left.[/sblock]
[sblock=Everyone Else]You cannot quite recall if you have passed this bit of road or not, none of the features of this area standing out as especially unique to you.[/sblock]

Zaranius

Post by Zaranius »

“The voices I overheard conversing did mention moving a cart. Perhaps they have already completed their task.” Zara inserts, These individuals act quickly.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception: 8(1d20) +7 = 15[/sblock]

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

[sblock=Zaranius]This section of the road does not seem familiar to you at all, so that suggests it is not a part you have been to before. It seems likely that you have overshot where the carts were left.[/sblock]

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Jin shakes his head slowly. He walks up to a tree and cuts a mark into it. "I don't know where we are, but if we walk back through here, we should know."

Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng follows closely along, nervously scanning the area for any familiar stretches of road. What if these bandits come across us? We survived once, but could I do it again? He tries not to consider the answers.