The War of Three Kings — IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
ratwizard
A Wan Smile
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: The War of Three Kings — IC

Post by ratwizard »

With most of the gear picked clean, Brannik hefts a load of into a few sacks and ties them down on his back and thighs. Long haul from here, but it will all be worth it to get our people better equipped.

The labor doesn't bother him — there's a reason why he's called the Bull. He keeps watch on the horizons for any signs of smoke or banners, and stops from time to time to place a hand to the ground beneath him, feeling for any troop movements.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Brannik will take one unit of arms/armor to haul.

Endurance and Perception: 15(1d20) +9 = 24; 11(1d20) +10 = 21
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

With Ostwald's gear stowed away, Adrian focus the rest of his energy on grabbing arms and armor alongside Brannik. Best to keep an eye out for the rest of the raiding party, the last thing we want is to get ambushed on the road.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Carry arms/armor

Nature: 32

Perception: 28
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

With their plan set in stone, Wes joins in loading the gear into sacks, hoisting as much as he can carry. Let's hope our journeys back and forth are uneventful. He keeps an eye out for any signs of danger, whether the returning raiding party or other foes that lie ahead.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
One unit of arms/armor

Perception & Endurance: 1(1d20) +10 = 11; 20(1d20) +8 = 28

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Your journey back to your makeshift base of operations passes relatively uneventfully with thankfully no sign of the rest of the raiding party. Arriving at the cavern the new members of the group are welcomed warmly by the others and you unload the arms and armour you managed to retrieve.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
The following has been added to the group's inventory;
Aftershock Broadsword +2
Dwarven Full Plate +2
Parry Gauntlets (heroic tier)
Chainmail x 5
Longsword x 5
Heavy Shield x5
Crossbow x 2
Hide Armour x2

Fausta's Shield has also gained 1 Swordsman and 2 Support Members (mechanics for them TBD).

You may now make 2 more rolls if you wish to make another trip to the farm.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"That went well, let's hope this next time is better," Adrian says, after taking a seat to relax from the long haul. No signs, that means we should be able to make at least one more trip safely. That's good.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Carry farming supplies

Nature: 34

Perception: 13
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

The long hike back finished, Brannik lets down the gear from his shoulders with a thorough sigh. "Tomorrow, we go again."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Endurance, Perception: 10(1d20) +9 = 19; 13(1d20) +10 = 23
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Wes breathes a sigh of relief as their first trip goes off without issue. This cave'll feel a lot more comfortable after this is all over. He stretches his worn limbs, doing his best to stay limber before their journey back.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Endurance & Perception: 12(1d20) +10 = 22; 7(1d20) +8 = 15
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The return to the farmhouse passes relatively uneventfully however this time - once you have finished loading up the farming supplies, you spot a dust cloud on the horizon. Not large enough to be the movements of a whole army it still could be the raiding party.

Being ready to depart you quickly set off back to the Cavern and manage to make it back without further incident.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
3 units of farming supplies gained

You may attempt another trip if you wish, if not let me know and I will move the game forward.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

With most of the farming supplies hauled back to their encampment, Brannik relaxes for a bit — stretching and massaging his tired muscles. We've really got to get a cart and some pack animals.

"I didn't like the sight of movement," he admits. "Either the raiding party or some other patrol has probably swept through at this point. I think if we're heading out for the rest of the tools and the food stores, we're going to have to fight for it."

He rests on his hammer. "It's high risk, low reward, in my book. We've already taken what's most important to us — weapons, armor, tools. With an outfit as small as this, food is cheap if we run low and need to pay for it."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Aye, we got most of the farming equipment anyways," Wes says, not eager to make the potentially-dangerous trek back just for some grain. "Should it prove safe, we might even start growing our own crops nearby. It certainly pays to be self-sufficient in times like these."

Supplies of any means are hard to come by in these desperate times. He sighs and shakes his head. How far will Tulrisse fall before we may climb again? How many lives will be lost?
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I agree," Adrian responds. "And should we come across more unlucky peasantry - which is more a guarantee than a hypothetical - then we will surely come across more food stores. Every homestead needs food, and an empty one no longer will. Best it go towards people aiming to protect them, than the armies causing all of this mayhem."

His energy once more sapped, he takes a seat and relaxes. Turning towards their newly-recruited peasant farmers, he asks, "I should have asked the other day, but what are your names? We are happy to have you with us."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I was waiting to catch up once we and the supplies were safe," Brannik says, taking a seat too. "It's good to have you with us. Harjad too. Tomorrow we'll look at what's next."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Turn 4

"My name is Gunilda, the woman replies to Adrian as you sit around the fire. She stands stirring a cauldron which bubbles over the flames filling the cavern with a mouth watering aroma, already helping around your makeshift base of operations. "And I'm Randric," the man adds, beginning to look over the latest haul of supplies you retrieved.

The food is soon ready and your ever growing group enjoys a meal together before you turn in for the night to get some much needed rest.

Over the next few days at camp you find yourselves planning your next moves.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Choose a focus and discuss any quests you want to follow up on this turn
Available Foci
[SHOW]
Recruitment
Train Foot
Train Ranged
Train Mounted
Gather Information
Build Spy Network
Visit City
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Build spy network, focus on more raiding party stuff since it is the only quest
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Focus: Gather information. Time to see what ripples may be caused from our attack on the raiding party.

Quest: The Ostwald Raiding Party. Time to finish what we started.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Gather info, yo

Plus yeah, finish up the raiding party quest
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Brannik's Turn Focus: Gather Information - Make two of the following skill checks of your choice Perception/Bluff/Intimidation.

Adrian's Turn Focus: Build Spy Network in Fausta's Steppe - Make two of the following skill checks of your choice Streetwise/Diplomacy/Insight.

Wes' Turn Focus: Gather Information - Make two of the following skill checks of your choice Perception/Bluff/Intimidation.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Perception and Intimidate: 2(1d20) +10 = 12; 7(1d20) +11 = 18
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Perception & Bluff: 18(1d20) +10 = 28; 12(1d20) +2 = 14
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Diplomacy: 9

Insight: 29
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

End of Turn Mechanics
[SHOW]
Upkeep deducted from supplies.

Adrian: You spend some time searching for ways to expand the Shield's contacts however you struggle to convince anyone to aid you.

Brannik: A few days after your last visit to the farmhouse, you hear news that it was discovered by the rest of the raiding party and has been razed to the ground. By all accounts Ser Harik is enraged by the death of his brother and has redoubled his efforts, taking out his rage on the villages surrounding Redbridge, particularly the village of Caelfall which is the closest to the farm house. He has reportedly set up camp there and is interrogating the villagers for information on his brother's death.

Wes: You are surprised to hear reports of a man asking about you in the surrounding villages. Your most up to date information puts him in a nearby village called Merton. You also hear reports of a battle at Escham, more concrete than the rumours surrounding the town before, although the results of the battle are unclear.

Quests and reputation updated in the OOC.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

OOC
[SHOW]
New quest suggestion: travel to Merton, then investigate Caelfall
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

OOC
[SHOW]
Good with that — Merton, then Caelfall.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

OOC
[SHOW]
Ditto ^
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Adrian, Brannik, Wes
[SHOW]
With a plan in place, you get directions from some of the other members of the Shield and set off for Merton. It takes a little over a day to get there and you arrive around midday with the summer sun high in the sky.

Merton is fairly large by the standards of a village, far enough North of Redbridge to have survived relatively unscathed by the war so far. A collection of wooden and thatch buildings sit around a larger rather squat stone building in the middle of the village.

As you make your way into the village you see a few villagers working the surrounding fields, and once you get to the village proper there are several people going about their daily business. You get multiple glances from them as you arrive, people eying your weapons and armour suspiciously.
Baldewin and Takehiko
[SHOW]
Your search for Baldewin's brother in law, Ser Wes Tarkin, has lead you to the village of Merton in Fausta's Steppe. You've heard several rumours in your travels around the steppe, all telling tales of someone who matches Wes' description being a part of a group. The nature of the group varies with the rumours, from bandits, to protectors of the commonfolk, to vengeful ghosts seeking to punish those to have done wrong.

Merton is a fairly large village, far enough North of Redbridge to have survived relatively unscathed by the war so far. You recently met a man with a promising lead here, he was very cryptic at first and said he needed to leave the village for a while but promised you more information in a few days on his return.

You've spent the last couple of days here, passing the time in the sleepy tavern at the centre of the village. A squat stone and thatch building, with only a couple of rooms for guests and a larger common room with a hearth and the bar. Visitors are obviously a rare occurrence as the tavern doesn't even have a name, the locals simply calling it the tavern.

It is around midday and you find yourselves sat in the common room, still waiting for your contact's return. The tavern is empty apart from the barkeep, a human called Hugrin, and one of the tavern's regulars, an orc named Ulfrig.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by FinalTemplar »

"I'm craving the long journey again, the feeling of being on the road. What are we waiting on? Do we even know if he will return?" He sighs. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be so impatient."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years

Post by BartNL »

Baldewin replies, speaking softly, almost whispering: "Do not apologise my friend. I myself am quite nervous and restless due to the predicament we are in. This man I am looking for, his family relies on me to find him. I simply can't disappoint them. If it were anyone else, I would have followed the man that told us to stay here. It's just that I can't take any risks on this." Baldewin grins and takes a sip of his stale ale. "Let's talk about this again tomorrow. Make plans for the future then." He says loud enough for the others in the tavern to notice before continuing speaking softly: "Let's for now assume the worst, that we have given our location to angry spirits or bandits. Whatever you think is worst. I think we should be able to get out of here if that happens. If anything happens, I suggest we meet at the large farmhouse with that oak tree."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Adrian, Wes
[SHOW]
"Nice to see a village not yet tainted by the wars," Brannik says as they push through field after field, entering the village square itself.

"So, Wes Tarkin's voice rings out, it seems. Should we start with the tavern first?" he asks, paying little mind to the suspicious looks. He had gotten used to them, anyhow, and it would have to do for now.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Brannik, Wes
[SHOW]
"With any luck it will stay that way," Adrian responds, not keen on the thought of the villages they'd encountered recently. For all these people's sakes, let's hope the war leaves them alone. We do not need more displaced peasantry plagued by bandits and raiders alike.

At mention of the rumors, Adrian adds, "a tavern is a good place to start, aye. And a good place to relax after the travel here, even if we come out with no new intel." He yawns after he speaks, not having slept too well the night prior.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Brannik, Adrian
[SHOW]
"If we can help it, it will," Wes says, glancing around the village with curiosity. I wonder who's after me anyways? Friend or foe?

He nods to Brannik's words, eager to get to the bottom of this. "Yes, but let's keep on our guard. I'm not sure what sort of person might be seeking me out by name. For all we know, this may be a trap."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Adrian, Brannik, Wes
[SHOW]
Presuming the larger stone building to be the closest thing the village has to a tavern, you make your way towards it.

Opening the reinforced wooden door you find yourselves on the edge of a fairly large room with a bar to one side and a large hearth in the centre, the rest of the room is dotted with a few wooden tables at chairs.

The bartender and at orc sat at the bar turn to look at you as you enter.

"What'll it be folks? We don't want no trouble," the bartender asks, eyeing your weapons much like the rest of the villagers had been.

The only other occupants of the tavern are two men sat at one of the tables. One appears to be a well dressed Tulrissian man, while the other is obviously a foreigner dressed in strange clothes and similarly armed to yourselves.
Wes
[SHOW]
While you've only met him a handful of times you recognise the Tulrissian sat at the table as Baldewin Brandt, the husband of your sister Larissa.
Adrian
[SHOW]
From the man's appearance you can tell the foreigner sat at the table is from Ghia.
Baldewin and Takehiko
[SHOW]
As Baldewin finishes talking, the tavern's door swings open and a group consisting of one male dwarf and five humans - two men, three women, step inside. They all wear what looks like fine clothing and armour weathered by time on the road. With most of them openly carrying weapons as well.

"What'll it be folks? We don't want no trouble," Hugrin, the bartender, asks them, clearly unsure of their intentions.
Baldewin
[SHOW]
While you've only met him a handful of times you recognise one of the group Wes Tarkin, the brother of your wife Larissa and the man you have been searching for. You also recognise one of the women with the group although you can't quite place her.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Baldewin winks at Takehiko and jumps from his chair. It's nice when things work out.
"Our man has arrived. Bartender fetch us some drinks. Wes, old friend, come take a seat. Your folks send me to find you. My name is Phoenix. We have a lot to talk about."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Brannik tenses up as the Tulrissian hops from his seat, approaching them. The dwarf's posture is straight and rigid, looking the two men over, but only listening for now.
Wes, Adrian
[SHOW]
"I hope you're on good terms with your family," he whispers quietly to Wes as the man approaches.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Perception to try and notice the outsider's ethnicity / culture based off his looks and clothing: 10(1d20) +10 = 20

If using History instead, +3 for 13 total.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Baldewins looks
[SHOW]
Baldewin clearly is a man of means. His clothing looks Tulrissian. They are a bit worn, implying that he has been travelling for a while. Baldewin is clearly the best dressed man in the room. His face is clean-shaven, and his hair is clean and well-kempt.
He doesn't wear insignia or other identifiers.
Similar looking people are usually merchants, wealthy craftsmen, or agents for the nobility.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"We mean no harm to anyone," Adrian says to the bartender, before turning to face the newcomers. When the clearly Tulrissian man jumps up he instinctively shifts his stance, but after hearing the man's words he loosens up a bit, turning to Wes to hear his response. Could the two actually be friends, or is this all some sort of ruse? Best to plan for the latter, just in case there is an ambush waiting.

Glancing to the table, Adrian takes notice of the foreigner and his curiosity is immediately piqued. "What brings a native of Ghia to these lands, and at such a tumultuous time? Certainly not sightseeing," he asks the man, keeping his hand casually on the hilt of his blade, though not in a clearly aggressive fashion.
Wes, Brannik
[SHOW]
"They are an odd pair. The one is from so far from here it is a wonder how he even arrived. But I suppose so am I," Adrian says quietly to the others, looking at the men before him in a mixture of confusion and conern.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Wes scans the mostly-empty tavern, surprised to see one in foreign garb in such a small locale. He's even more surprised to see a somewhat familiar face.
Adrian & Brannik
[SHOW]
"Aye, I am, thank the gods," Wes says, eyeing his brother-in-all. "It's still quite a shock, though."
He steps towards Baldewin, a cautious look on his face, not expecting his family to have been looking for him. "I'm surprised to see you in a place like this. But I'm glad it's you and not some officer tracking me down."

He takes a seat near Baldewin, stretching his limbs after the long walk they've endured. "I suppose you'll have to tell my family that you failed. After all, you didn't find me. It was me who found you." He smirks, turning back towards his companions and giving them a nod so they don't stay guarded.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Baldewin returns a smile and replies to his brother in law: "Luckily for me those aren't mutually exclusive. So, who are your friends? Please introduce us to them, and I'll introduce you to my Ghian companion."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"You first," Brannik says to Phoenix, not quite off his guard despite Wes' nod. "And... how again are you involved with his family?"

We're in a war. You don't walk into a bar and announce yourself, your crimes.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Takehiko watches the three humans enter the bar, and examines them as they speak with the bartender. As Baldewin jumps to his feet and immediately introduces himself, he rolls his eyes in response. Slowly, Takehiko would stand and approach the three, eyeing them up and down once more before giving a deep, polite bow. "My name is Takehiko. Phoenix hired me to help find you." He'd slowly raise up again, keeping his eyes directed at their hands, rather than their faces. "I mean you no harm, and I apologize for... the Phoenix's excitement."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

He holds more respect for us strangers than he does his employer, Brannik notes of the Ghian. Perhaps their arrangement is not as mutual as stated.

"You can call me Brannik," the dwarf says to the pair of men.

The human woman standing next to him holding a spear nods. "Gemma."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"He is involved through marriage," Wes says, crossing his arms as he eyes the Ghian with curiosity. He turns to Brannik, hoping to reassure the rightfully-cautious dwarf. "He is family, by bond instead of blood."

He gestures towards Kass as introductions are made and says, "And my cousin. I'm not sure if you've ever formally met her, Phoenix." He puts emphasis on the final word, unsure where the name came from but hoping the prodding gets some sort of explanation out of his brother-in-law.

"Kass," she says with a slight bow. "Lovely to meet you."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Baldewin ignores the rude dwarf and stands up and responds to Kass: "Likewise milady. Will you do me the honours, and join us at this humble table?" he asks her as he grabs a chair and gallantly offers it to the young woman. "I can only imagine that your family is worried sick as well. Wes, we have indeed not been formally introduced but Kassidy was at the wedding. She danced with Jacob, or maybe Johannes. Or was it both? Hard to keep those two apart." Baldewin says with a warm smile. "Time flies." the sorcerer sighs. "Phoenix, of course, is only a moniker. A fitting name for a Brandt, if I say so myself. Can't be too careful these days. Especially in an area haunted by bandits. You wouldn't know anything about that would you?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Brannik eases up as Phoenix continues talking. "Married in, then? I see. It's good to meet you. You'll have to excuse my caution," the dwarf says, offering the two men a dutiful bow of his head. "The last time somebody approached us for words, they drew a blade and went for blood. I've grown a bit wary of introductions after that."

He pauses, studying Phoenix closely upon his innocent question of banditry. "Pests, they are. We've had our share of them too."
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Takehiko relaxed himself now, if only slightly. He would walk back to the table now, looking incredibly uncomfortable after the brief conversation. I do hope no one is looking... by the great bear, that is embarassing.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Suddenly, something clicks in the dwarf's mind and his eyes go wide.

"Wait, did you say Brandt?" A smile breaks through the weary dwarf's face. "Ah, I see it, now. You're a son of Conrad's, aren't you? You've got to be — you're a spitting image of him."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Right away," the bartender, replies to the Phoenix as he orders drinks for the whole group - a look of relief coming across his face. He hurriedly starts preparing them and soon brings over eight tankards of ale to the table in two trips.
Brannik
[SHOW]
While you have practically no experience with Ghians, you have heard and read enough about the isle to recognise this man as being from there.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Adrian," responds Adrian, as the others all introduce themselves. This man talks too much and too fast, he reminds me of Percy. He could be harmless, but we shall see.

"I'm Chloë," says Chloë, giving the man a polite bow and a smile, before following Adrian to sit at the table.

"I am curious," Adrian says, as the group begins to speak with familiarity with the newcomers. "Did you seek Wes out purely to aid his family, or was there another reason? We heard rumors of someone searching for him. It seems a bit strange now to find you rather than a group of Arcane Knights."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

!! How does het know my father? I hope the dwarfs smile is honest. Baldewin looks at the dwarf with a confused grin. "How do you know my father, may I ask?"

Hmm. So that Adrian is the smart one. Baldewin thinks, after Adrian asks his question. "It's good to meet you, Adrian and Chloë. I was probably the one to start the rumours. Kinda hard to find anyone if they don't know someone's looking, don't you agree? Truth is, I was travelling to Menora before I received the message about Wes. Travelling by boat over the Red River, meant that I just happened to be closer than anyone else. Anyone, who dares to risk travelling these lands at least. Arcane knights might also be looking, but you know how these things work. They'd first need to strategise and organise before they've realise that time is of the essence." Before Adrian can react, Baldewin grabs a drink and raises his tankard. "Let's drink to family and friends."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
History check to see if Baldewin can find out where Adrian and Chloë are from etc.
12(1d20) +15 = 27
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Aye, I'll drink to that, lad," Brannik says. He grabs a tankard, passes it to Gemma, and takes one for himself.

Not bad, the dwarf considers. But not great.

"Conrad — now that's an old friend. Back from our days in Menora, actually," Brannik explains. "We used to study together, your pa and I. Helped me get through more courses than I'd be proud to admit, now that I'm looking back. It's been a long time since we've spoke, however. Is he faring well?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Kass shrugs, saying, "I could hardly recall which after all this time." She smiles, taking the seat offered to her by Baldewin.

Wes lets out a quick laugh as the dwarf mentions knowing Baldewin's father. "Quite the small world sometimes. But again, glad I am to find you here instead of trouble." He takes a sip of his drink, feeling at ease for the first time in awhile. "Well, the wrong type of trouble at least."

He raises his tankard at Baldewin's toast. "Aye, to family, friends, and the good fortune of us finding each other." He takes a long drink from the cup. "Will you be sending a message to my family, then?"