Death Incarnate: A Zombie Tale IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
PureZaros
The Enigma
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Death Incarnate: A Zombie Tale IC

Post by PureZaros »

Following Weasel and Cassia up the alleyway, she's reassured that there is at least one other person behind her. They'll get you before they get me, sucker. Spotting the walker at the end of the alley, she quickly tries to peek past it and see if there are more.
MECHANICS
[SHOW]
Perception check: 11
Boooo. :(
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Liviana follows close to Cassia, the guard's presence helping the princess feel safer. As the lone walker is mentioned, she says, "So once we get past that thing, what's the plan? Just checking each store for any supplies?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Guess so," Weasel whispers, glancing over at Cassia. She catches his gaze and replies: "I think we're past the point where looting stores is an issue with me," she assures, haughtily.
Elene
[SHOW]
You see no other walkers.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"We should aim for the ones that could have anything made of leather or metal, no point in wasting time checking them all," Marcus adds in response to the princess. "We can always come for more supplies later, if we need them. For now, we just need something to protect our skin from their claws." And then some well-earned rest.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

"I hope so. You're certainly right about them seeming strong." Athena says realising that the possible demise of the search party isn't the best thing to think about regarding morale in the inn.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Then we should try to see which one of these shops is a tailor, or a tanner of some sort," Liviana says. There had better be one. I'm ready for a good night's sleep. And maybe this whole thing will blow over tomorrow. Hopefully.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Out at the channel, the group converses. "Course, we gotta deal with this guy first," says Weasel, eyeing the decaying walker with interest. It stands a few feet from the edge of the boardwalk, idly standing there, still unaware of the huddled humans at the mouth of the alleyway.

In the Gilded Mare, the orc nods, turning to the laborer as the man speaks. "I mean, they went out to get the medical salve, found Guthrik, and got back in one piece. I think they can handle the barracks," Burtin says, optimistically.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Yes we do," Marcus nods to Weasel, before turning to Elene. "Did you see anything else out there?" he asks, to which she shakes her head. "Very well, then I will deal with this." Keeping his makeshift weapon in hand in case any other creatures decide to show their ugly heads, Marcus rushes forward and attempts to shove the creature into the water.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Stealth check: 2

Bull Rush on shitty zombie cunt:
Attack: 10 vs Fortitude = ??
Hit: push shitty zombie cunt into the water
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Pseudo-Encounter 2

The decaying creature turns at the sound of Marcus' rushed footsteps along the creaking boardwalk. It lets out a screech as it spins toward him, its fetid claws grasping. The ex-soldier slams into it, though with not as much force as he intended. The walker screeches again as it falls to the deck, managing to rake the man hard before slamming forcefully against the wood panels underfoot.

Go: Everyone

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Marcus: Fails Stealth roll, fudges Bull Rush, prones Walker.

Boardwalker: Rakes Marcus for 6 physical damage, ongoing 3 necrotic damage (save ends).
Status
[SHOW]
Liviana (22/22)
Elene (25/25)
Redros (24/24)
Weasel (?/?)
Marcus (23/29) || Ongoing 3 necrotic (save ends)
Cassia (31,31)
Boardwalker (-0/??)
kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 3 months

Post by kalis5 »

Redros sees Marcus struggling with the monster and grits his teeth. He needs to act before Marcus is struck further, rushing from his position. In the back of his mind he calls to the waters of the canal, the water itself responding with fury as it rises up beyond the boardwalk behind the beast, curving through the air in a great wave as Marcus connects with his fist, the wave scooping the zombie up and sweeping it into the water of the boardwalk, leaving the ground stained with water. With the beast in the water, Redros turns to Marcus to examine his wounds.
"Are you alright Marcus? If you need the salve, we can return."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Move to the walker.
Tidal Spirit Shot on Boardwalker: 20(1d20) +4 = 24
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

As the wave rises up from the channel at the woodsman's primal command, the zombie is pulled from the boardwalk and cast over the railing where it sinks. Almost immediately, the channel is once again is like glass, its surface marred only by a few ripples from the slightest patter of rain overhead. The group of you notice at once that the water looks very strange, however: an almost translucent, green color. The brine spray left behind on the boardwalk emits a strange scent that you notice as well.

Marcus' wound is on his left upper arm, toward the inside. At a brief look, the walker's nails had managed to tear through the fabric and break the skin underneath.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Boardwalker is thrown off, ending the pseudo-encounter.

Marcus takes 3 necrotic damage then auto-saves.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Marcus winces in pain as he takes a look at the wound. "I think I will be fine for now, but I will be keeping a close eye on it," he responds to the woodsman. "Thanks for the help. Now we should get indoors, before more of them spot us. Can you make out the signs? Are any of them tanners? Armor smiths?" He tries to look himself, hoping that their luck will turn around a little and they will find something useful.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Perception check, to try to read shop signs (and look at wound): 13
Heal check, to see if wound is similar to Cassia's or the injured basement man's: 15
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Marcus
[SHOW]
The wound looks similar to Cassia's, but not as bad. There is hardly any greenish tint to the flesh around the cuts, but the blood does look a strangely dark crimson. You figure you should get it taken care of soon, before it becomes worse. It burns with moderate pain.

Looking up the street, you can only see the first two signs from here before your vision tapers off in clarity from the moon and torch light. The signs say Carved Curios and Things, and Cloth of the Channel.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Redros looks down the street at the request of the man, his own eyes perhaps a bit more used to the dark than his, though he does understand that without one eye it is harder to see.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Perception Check to look at the shops down the boardwalk in the darkness: 8(1d20) +9 = 17
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Redros
[SHOW]
Looking up the street, you can only see the first two signs from here before your vision tapers off in clarity from the moon and torch light. The signs say Carved Curios and Things, and you can see that from the storefront that it sells handcrafts, decorations, that sort of thing. The further sign reads Cloth of the Channel and seems to sell finer clothing indicated by its decor. Beyond that is hard to tell.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"You're probably right. We probably shouldn't be sending the Princess out on these sorties though. If anything happens to her we could end up in deep water," Athena says. I do hope she isn't dead. I rather liked her.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Cloth would do us little good, we might as well try our luck with the other. Marcus motions for the others still in the alleyway to join himself and Redros near the water. Hopefully they will agree.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

As Marcus rushes forward, Liviana is taken by fear and slight confusion. What in the world does he think he's doing? She breathes a slight sigh of relief as Redros steps in and the creature falls into the canal.

The princess hesitates forward as Marcus motions for the rest of the group. "Real nice spectacle just then, she says to the man. "Perhaps you should have explained what you were planning to do first. But whatever. That's in the past now. Anyways, find any potential shops?"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"A clothier and a miscellaneous goods store. The clothier won't help us much, but the other one may have something of use," Marcus says, ignoring the mild scolding. I didn't involve you for a reason, princess. Be happy about that. "We should move quickly, before more of those things show up," he finishes, before beginning to make his way towards the Curios shop.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Redros shakes his head.
"Neither are of much use, unless you are looking for dresses and knickknacks. We may find a small blade in the craft store, but not much more. We should move on."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Hm, you may be right. We can come back to it if we don't find anything better, but so far that is the best option," Marcus responds, before beginning to head up the street. Hopefully we need not venture too far to find something useful.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Cassia and Weasel follow Marcus further down the channel's boardwalk, the former sticking close to the princess. Up ahead you can see the next two buildings -- one appears to be some sort of fancy bookstore judging by the sign, and the next, a high-class tannery.

"That's assuming the Royal Family is still alive," Guthrik says to Athena. "Who knows? Maybe she's the only one. But regardless, you're right. She has no need to be putting herself in danger."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"And there we have it: a tanner's. Hopefully it isn't taken over by those things," Marcus says, beginning to make his way towards the building.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"Hopefully there's actually finished pieces in there and not just tanned hide. WE don't got the tools or time ta be makin' our own stuff." Elene says, stepping close to Marcus' heels.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Redros smiles and seems to perk up slightly.
"Ah. Leather I know how to use. Let us hope there is plenty left over, or his tools. Perhaps I can make some lighter armor for us with those. I say that whatever risks are inside, it will be worth it to gather some protection."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"The bookstore may have some leather as well," Liviana says as she spots the sign. "A store that fancy would most definitely have leather-bound books. Though who knows how much available leather would be lying around, but at least we know that's another potential source."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I suppose that all depends on how much of the city, or the island, is like this. Hopefully it hasn't spread too far and the army will be here soon," Athena says mostly just thinking aloud.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Creeping forward down the boardwalk, you are free from the walkers' immediate presence, but you make out a few dark figures along in the distance. "I'll keep an eye on them out here," Cassia whispers as she stands guard, looking northwest down toward the near-stationary figures.

The storefront looks well-intact, with no windows busted and no sign of looting. "Guess those wannabes haven't hit this part of the channel yet, yeh?" The chubby thief slides his hand along the door, tapping it lightly as he goes. "Don't think there's any booby-traps, I guess."

In the Gilded Mare, Burtin replies to Athena. "I heard someone earlier tell of seeing a few of the palace guards, but they looked to be quite overwhelmed," the man says, looking downward. "I just hope for the Princess and our city that the Royal Family made it out of there. There's got to be hidden ways out of it, you know? Like the old tales."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Marcus watches Weasel check the door, baffled that he thinks a tanner would trap the place. I am sure he must do this so often it comes as second nature. When the man gives the all clear, Marcus nods and opens the door.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Marcus
[SHOW]
It is firmly shut and will not open, but whether it is barred or locked, you are unsure.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Marcus checks the handle, trying to see if the door is locked.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Thievery check to see if it is locked: 9
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Marcus
[SHOW]
You can't quite tell if the lock is engaged or not, but the fact that it doesn't budge at all may mean it is barred.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Well it isn't opening," Marcus states the obvious, as the others look on. "It may be barred or locked, I cannot tell. If one of you is good with locks I suggest you try checking, otherwise we will need to look for a new way in." There must be someone inside if the entrance has been sealed. Hopefully they are not part of those bastards who lured those creatures to us.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Weasel or Elene seem to be the most qualified in that," Liviana says as she walks over. "But let's see if there's another way inside if it is barred."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Perception to find another way inside: 15(1d20) +10 = 25
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Liviana
[SHOW]
You look up toward the second floor, where there appears to be a pair of windows. They are closed, but the slight overhang above the front door may be possible to climb up onto to access them.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Looking up at the second story, Liviana spots the windows. Pointing up at them, she says, "If we can't get in through the door, someone could try climbing up there and prying the windows open."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well if anyone can hold their own against the creatures, the palace guards can. If only this inn had a hidden passage way," Athena laughs. "That'd be useful."
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

Elene slides up to the door at the mention of her name, trying the door for herself.
MECHANICS
[SHOW]
Thievery check to see if it's locked or barred: 1(1d20) +10 = 11

Fucking natural 1's.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Elene
[SHOW]
The door seems barred, given Marcus' words, but is possibly locked as well. You can't tell for sure.
Isdren stalks up at the mention of the palace guards. "I wanted to be one when I grew up," he says, uncharacteristically tenderly. "I really hope they made it through. Them and the Royal Family." Drozga snorts at Athena's words. "Just the basement, that's it. Though that would be quite neat if there were more to it."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I always dreamed of being part of the Royal Family. Maybe if things had turned out differently for the both of us, you'd be guarding me," Athena says to Isdren, winking at the young man.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I still can, right?" he says, feigning a smile despite his disappointment. "Though you'd need equipment from the armory the Watchman had mentioned. You're just a boy with a knife otherwise, kid," Guthrik scolds.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well if the others return with it I'm sure he'll make quite the guard," Athena says, shooting Isdren a smile.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Seeing Elene fail to open the door as well, Marcus turns his attention to the window pointed out by the princess. He jumps up and grabs ahold, pulling himself up. Once on the eave he peers in, hoping that whoever is inside is friendly and still living.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Stealth to climb quietly: 11
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"Seems t'be both locked and barred. Not entirely sure, though. I can try to get through." Elene whispers, taking out her improvised lockpick, the miniature arm, and attempting to jimmy the lcck.
MECHANICS
[SHOW]
thievery check: 11

Fuck you, roller.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Marcus
[SHOW]
You make a mild amount of noise climbing up, but nothing too loud. Looking in, you can just barely make out the contents of a bedroom from the moonlight streaming in. The dim shapes of a simple bed, dresser, and desk are visible.
Elene
[SHOW]
You spend almost a minute or so trying to jimmy the lock. Try as you might, however, the mechanism doesn't seem to budge from your attempt.
"I'm sure we can use more of those," Guthrik says. "Danger around every corner here, it seems. I should have stayed back in Serranak." Isdren merely blushes and does not reply to Athena.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Marcus attempts to open the window.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

As the ex-soldier slides the window open, a figure from the dark within charges up to him with a panicked shout, slamming its booted foot into Marcus' frame. The heavy kick slightly winds him, making him lose his balance.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Dark Figure: Charges, bull-rushes, hits.

Marcus needs to make a saving throw to recover his grip and balance on the eave.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Save: 16
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Despite the unexpected ambush, Marcus' powerful core manages to grasp onto the window-frame and hold him in place. He coughs, sucking back in a breath. Cassia gasps as she looks up, and Weasel palms his blade. "Stay away from me, you dangerous cunts! I won't say it a third time!" the figure cries out, a deep, male voice. He has retreated further back into the bedroom, but you can tell he is holding some sort of weapon -- a broom or some sort of rod.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I don't know who you think I am, but I'm not them," Marcus says, as he leans back towards the window. "If you mean those bastards from the next street over then I've a bone to pick with them too. I'm just here for some protection against the dead that walk the streets. Now will you let me in before those things hear us?" he says, doing his best to sound civil and not pissed that he was almost kicked off the second story. Those shitheads have been busy, it seems.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Diplomacy: 12