Blackwood's Dogs — IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
ratwizard
A Wan Smile
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Blackwood's Dogs IC

Post by ratwizard »

"You can thank that officer for the big boom. Well, if you can find him at the bottom of the sea, that is," Grommak explains to his superior. "That squid thought it fair n' just to lob a torch at one of the powder barrels. Something about denying the Cap'n another ship for the fleet," the orc remarks. "Did the other Dogs get anything of worth off the tub, at least?"

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Darcell smiles as he sees everyone make it back onto the Saint alive. He leans against the side of the ship and strums a few notes on his lute as he catches his breath.

"If we'd known that ship would be joining our fleet, we'd have made sure that officer didn't decide to take her down with himself. One disadvantage to fighting a navy consisting of zealots I guess," he says joining Grommak and Orson's conversation.

"Although if Blackwood is looking to build a fleet then why not take the ships from the Imardanians? One Imardanian warship is worth five of another navy's ships."

Besides a large fleet will need captains, and who better to recruit from than the Dogs? Captain Darcell has a nice ring to it, and I'd much rather captain an Imardanian ship than any of the others in these waters.

Mechanics read this everyone
[SHOW]

Short Rest:

Song of Rest:When I play an instrument or sing during a short rest, you and each ally who can hear you are affected by your Song of Rest. When an affected character spends healing surges at the end of the rest, that character regains additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (+6) with each healing surge.

Spend 3 healing surge to regain full HP and recover encounter powers.

Virtue of Cunning
[SHOW]

Once per round when an enemy attack misses an ally within 8 squares of me, I can slide that ally up to 2 square as a free action, and I can also slide an enemy that was adjacent to that ally into the space the ally vacated. In addition one ally I choose within 5 squares of me gains combat advantage against the target of their next attack.

Feel free to use this.

Combat Block
[SHOW]

Darcell

Male Half-Elf Cunning Bard 11
Languages: Common, Forellian, Serran, Imardanian.
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 165 lbs.

Speed: 6
Initiative: +14 (+16 when within 10 of Henri)
Passive Perception: 21
Passive Insight: 19
Senses: Low-light Vision

AC: 24
Fort: 21
Reflex: 22
Will: 26
HP: 79/79
Bloodied: 39
Surge Value: 20
Surges left: 4/10
Action Points: 0

MBA: +13 vs AC, 1d8+3 damage. (+2 to damage rolls when you have combat advantage)
RBA: +9 vs AC, 1d4+2 damage.

Resistances: None
Vulnerabilities: None
Saves: None

Active Effects: None

Powers:

Vicious Mockery
Staggering Note

Second Wind []
Guardian's Counter []
Demoralizing Strike []
Majestic Word [][] **
Words of Friendship []
Blunder []
Moment of Escape []
Echoing Weapon []
Revitalizing Incantation []
Unluck []
Illusory Erasure []
Lying Lights []
Harper Pin
Mielikki's Endurance [] *
Lliira's Grace [] *
Tymora's Luck [] *
Feytouched Hide Armor +3 [_]

Stirring Shout[x]
Song of Discord [x]
Counterpoint [x]
Headband of Intellect [_]
Sitar of restfulness [x]

• Can only use one per encounter
    ** Can be used twice per encounter but only once per round

Consumables:

None.

Important Features:
[SHOW]

Racial Traits and Class or Path Features:

Group Diplomacy: I grant allies within 10 squares of me a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks.

Bardic Training: I can perform two bard rituals per day of my level or lower without expending components.

Virtue of Cunning: Once per round, when an enemy attack misses an ally within 8 squares of me, I can slide that ally 1 square as a free action.

Song of Rest: When I play an instrument or sing during a short rest, you and each ally who can hear you are affected by your Song of Rest. When an affected character spends healing surges at the end of the rest, that character regains additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (+6) with each healing surge.

Shrouding Action: When I spend an action point to take an extra action, one ally I choose within 5 squares of me and I become invisible until the end of my next turn.

Virtue of Deceit: When I use Virtue of Cunning, one ally I choose within 5 squares of me gains combat advantage against the target of their next attack.

Notable Feats:

Resourceful Leader: When an ally I can see spends an action point to make an attack, the ally gains a +5 bonus to damage rolls on a hit or gains 5 temporary hit points on a miss.

Superior Will: If I am dazed or stunned I can make a saving throw at the start of my turn to end that effect, even if the effect doesn't normally end on a save.

Advantage of Cunning: When I slide an ally with my Virtue of Cunning, I can also slide an enemy that was adjacent to that ally into the space the ally vacated.

Battle Song Expertise: I gain a +1 feat bonus to the number of squares that I can pull, push, or slide creatures with my bard attacks and bard paragon path attacks.

Improved Cunning: When I use Virtue of Cunning to slide an ally, I can slide the ally 2 squares instead of 1.

Item Features:

Headband of Intellect: Gain a +2 item bonus to knowledge or monster knowledge checks, and a +1 item bonus to attack rolls on powers that have the psychic keyword.

Spyglass of Perception: Gain a +3 item bonus to Perception checks when using this device.

kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by kalis5 »

Liam looks over at Darcell, then sighs.
"'Cause the cap'in wants ta take one ship at a time. If'n ya wanna take on a patrol of tha Imardin Navy, ya'll need more'n two ships ta do it and hope to come away with a prize. 'Sides. Why bite tha hand tha feeds us? So far, we haven't had ta deal with the whole navy, takin' one of their ships is sure ta bring their wrath down awn us. Tha', and their merchants pay our wages after all. Tha naught willingly, right?"
He grins at that last bit.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Spend 1 healing surge to gain 24 hp, bringing Liam up to 65 hp. 10 shy of full hp.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Darcell chuckles at Liam, as he continues to strum his lute.
"Maybe you're too drunk to remember, but those lot were member's of the Imardanian Navy," the Bard replies pointing to the slowly sinking ship, still ablaze. "I think the Captain has pissed off the navy plenty in his years. Hells, even the Saint is Imardanian."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Henri is a bit surprised that Isabelle managed to get the gun, but grins nevertheless.

At Orson's mention of a fleet, the Imardanian's eyes light up. Perhaps a ship of my own then... It'd be like being in the Navy again! But with less piety. At Grommak's explanation, Henri adds, "What'd you expect? Him to lay down his weapons and surrender? He was far too stubborn of a man to even do that."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Regain encounter powers & spend 2 surges for max HP

Combat Block
[SHOW]

Henri LaBelle

Male Vryloka Warlord 11
Languages: Common, Imardanian, Forellian
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 150 lbs.

Speed: 7
Initiative: +13
Passive Perception: 20
Passive Insight: 16
Senses: Low-light vision

AC: 23
Fort: 24
Ref: 21
Will: 24
HP: 74/74 +5THP
Bloodied: 37
Surge Value: 18
Surges left: 3/8
Action points: 1

MBA: +13 vs AC, 1d6+5 damage.
RBA: +17 vs AC, 1d6+7 damage.

Resistances: 10 Necrotic (5+1/2 level)
Saves: None

Active Effects: None

Powers:

Direct the Strike
Paint the Bulls-Eye
Sea Legs

Acrobat Boots

Second Wind []
Inspiring Word [] [] []
Vengeance is Mine []
Race the Arrow []
On My Mark []
Tempest of Triumph []
Lifeblood []
Inspiring Belligerence []
Dragon's Tenacity []
Shifting Tides []

Relentless Wounding [X]
Create Opportunity [X]
Warlord's Recovery [X]

Gloves of Piercing []
Bracers of Archery []
Stone of Wind [X]

Consumables:

None

Important Features
[SHOW]

Crossbow Expertise: You gain a +1 feat bonus to attack rolls that you make with a crossbow. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level. Also, you ignore partial cover or superior cover with weapon attacks you make with a crossbow.

Improved Defenses: You gain a +1 feat bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Archer Captain: You and any ally within 5 squares of you ignore the penalty for attacking at long range.

Improved Inspiring Word: Add your Charisma modifier to the hit points restored by your inspiring word.

Cunning Stalker: You gain combat advantage against enemies that have no creatures adjacent to them other than you.

Duty's Virtue: Once per round, you can use the aid defense action as a minor action, but only if the chosen ally is bloodied. Also, you gain a +2 feat bonus to initiative checks.

Far Shot: When you use a projectile weapon such as a bow or a crossbow, increase both the normal range and the long range by 5 squares.

Jack of All Trades You gain a +2 feat bonus to untrained skill checks.

Fight On: You can use your inspiring word one additional time per encounter.

Resourceful Presence: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, that attack gains a bonus to damage equal to one-half your level + your Intelligence modifier. If the attack hits no target, the ally gains temporary hit points equal to one-half your level + your Charisma modifier.

Mighty Action: When you spend an action point to take an extra action, any ally who can see and hear you gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls until the start of your next turn.

Tempestuous Inspiration: When you use your inspiring word power, you can give the target of the power a +2 bonus to attack rolls and a bonus to damage rolls equal to your Charisma modifier that lasts until the end of your next turn. If the target's first attack misses during that time misses, the target grants a combat advantage to attackers until the end of your next turn.

Archer Warlord When you make a ranged basic attack with a bow, you can use Strength instead of Dexterity for the attack roll and the damage roll.

Combat Leader: You and each ally within 10 squares who can see and hear you gain a +2 power bonus to initiative.

Blood Dependency: When you are bloodied, your healing surge value drops by 2.

Living Dead: If a power has different effects on living creatures and undead creatures, you choose which effect applies to you.

Necrotic Resistance: You have a necrotic resistance equal to 5 + one-half your level.

The Mariner: While aboard a ship, gain a +1 bonus (+2 at Level 10) to any skill or ability check related to life at sea; gain the sea legs power. You gain a +2 power bonus to initiative checks. You ignore difficult terrain when you shift. While aboard a ship, you can use a minor action once per round to shift 1 square.

Distance Imardanian Officer's Pistol +3: Increases the weapon's normal range by 5 squares and the long range by 10 squares.

Lifeblood Hide Armor +2: You gain 5 temporary hit points after each rest. If you remove the armor, you lose these hit points.

Gem of Colloquy: You gain a +1 item bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks.

Cloak of Distortion: You gain an item bonus to all defenses against ranged attacks from more than 5 squares away equal to this item's enhancement bonus.

Bracers of Archery: You gain a +2 item bonus to damage rolls while attacking with a bow or crossbow.

Acrobat Boots: You gain a +1 item bonus to Acrobatics checks.

Last edited by Scratcherclaw on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"You said he was after his sister, not pirate-hunting," Grommak retorts, citing their conversation earlier. "I didn't know the fucker. Didn't seem the type to die for a cause."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Aye, plenty," says Orson, at the question of loot. "You can talk to Phil about your shares once you're rested up. What's this about a sister?" he asks, curiously.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"The wench we saved from the last tub. Captain wanted something to do with her, you remember? Turns out, her own fucking brother was aboard that," the orc says, gesturing toward the sinking boat behind them. "Same one who tried to blow us to the afterlife."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Old Lefty is passing by at the mention of explosions, and chimes in, "The bastard showed me up! Can't top somethin' like that." As he continues on, John sits up and leans against a crate. "So the ship is gone. Good riddance. Thanks for hauling me out," he says with a cough and a grunt, giving the others in the vanguard a nod.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"You're bloody welcome," Grommak says with a grin. "It was a lot of work lugging your ass out of the flames, but worth it. Who else can I rely on to swing a chain and sack a dozen squids?"

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I'm sure you just lack the resources, not the creative vision," Darcell replies to Old Lefty as he walks past.

"Good to still have you with us John," Darcell says turning his attention to Big John. "For a moment there I thought I'd have to start working on a song for your funeral."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Speaking of funerals," Henri responds to Darcell, "I don't suppose Daphne will be too thrilled to hear that her brother burnt himself to a crisp. Perhaps it's best we don't tell her yet."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"So, Orson," Grommak starts, already feeling restless. "Did the First Mate give us our next orders? I'm curious how the Cap'n'll handle the loss of this ship he planned on takin'."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Probably," Darcell says agreeing with Henri. "Normally I'd be happy to lend a shoulder to cry on to a grieving girl, although being complicit in her brother's death may complicate things."

"My vote is to make port. My shares of our recent hauls are already starting to burn a hole in my pocket," Darcell says, tuning into Grommak and Orson's conversation.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

John nods to Darcell at his remark, grunting again as he repositions himself against the crate. "Not yet," Orson responds to the orc. "But given the situation I imagine a stop at the Wastrel's Wharf is in our near future," he continues, now more towards Darcell. "We may not have made our way to the lower decks, but the top deck gave us a hefty haul. Those Imardanian muskets will fetch a nice price, at least the ones we don't keep for ourselves," he says with a grin.

"Ha ha! If there are even any left," Baelgar says, having been walking by holding one of the guns in question. It is of impeccable craftsmanship, a quality both unique to and characteristic of the Imardanian Navy. "Imagine what we could do with all of these!" he continues, the devious joy showing through on his face. "I will stick to what I've got," John replies, having always shied away from firearms.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I'll sell a squid-gun before you catch me toting one around. Live and die by the blade, as they say," Grommak comments gruffly. "Damn shame we didn't get to make it down to the hold, though. Even the rations would'a been nice. Ah, well."

"Speaking of," the orc begins. Clapping Henri on the back, Grommak slides beside him. "I don't suppose the dame'll be too thrilled about you sportin' her brother's rifle, either. That is, if the thing is still worth much. Looked as charred as the burnt asshole who previously wielded it. What do you think?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I wouldn't mind getting to use an Imardanian musket again," Henri says after Baelgar mentions the Dogs' use of them. "No one crafts one quite like they do."

As Grommak leans in, Henri responds, "It may still work fine, but it's certainly seen better days. Could always see about getting it fixed up in the Wharf. And then it could fetch me a good amount of coin or a certain woman's favor."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"The Wharf'll have what you need. Always does," Grommak says with a wink before sliding away from the ex-navyman. "Now to wait for the Quartermaster to tell us what is whose and whose is what," the orc says. "And keep the fucking rum away from that man," he laughs, pointing at Liam. "I saw you take a dip on the way into the ship, eh? You should take lessons from me on how to ride the rigging."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Ah Wastrel's Wharf. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. I can't wait," Darcell laughs.

"I've spent time in royal courts all over Voreld, but that cesspool has a certain charm about it."

PureZaros
The Enigma
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by PureZaros »

Landing gracefully on the Saint's deck, Isabelle tosses the still uncomfortably warm, slightly smoking gun she salvaged to Henri. "Hope it's worth it, pretty boy. That room got awful warm-like 'afore I could get out." She says, brushing the ash and soot off of her partially charred armor before seating herself on a crate. "And concurr'd on livin' and dyin' by the sword. I always did enjoy the feel of sticking a sea pig."

MECHANICS
[SHOW]

Short Rest
Regain encounter powers
spend three healing surges to get back to full health
gain AP

Because I don't think I've done this mechanics wise yet, I inscribe the explosive runes ritual on my offhand.

COMBAT BLOCK
[SHOW]

Isabelle

Female Genasi Swordmage 11
Languages: Common, Elven
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 180

Speed: 6
Initiative: +6
Passive Perception: 23
Passive Insight: 17
Senses: Normal Vision

AC: 30
Fort: 22
Reflex: 25
Will: 23
HP: 91/91
Bloodied: 45
Surge Value: 22
Surges left: 4/11
Action Points: 1

Resistances:
5 Poison
10 Fire while manifesting Cindersoul
4 All while bloodied

Active Effects:
+2 racial bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage while manifesting Watersoul

Powers:

MBA: +19 to attack, 1d8+9 damage
RBA: +16 to attack, 1d4+6 damage (using dagger)

Bull Rush Attack
Grab Attack
Opportunity Attack
Aegis of Ensnarement
Sword Burst
Frigid Blade

Summoned Armor +3
Acrobat Boots

[] Second Wind
[] Inevitable Strike
[] Foesnare
[] Mythal Recovery
[] Dimensional Vortex
[] Fettering Aegis
[] Four Corners Attack
[] Strength Against Strength
[_] Explosive Runes

[] Periapt of Cascading Health +2
[] Viper Belt
[_] Ruby Scabbard

Require Manifestation:
[] Firedeath §
[] Swiftcurrent

[_] Binding Aegis
[X] Swordmage Shielding Fire
[X] Eldritch Quagmire
[X] Troll Rampage

• Immediate Reaction
    § Indicates Active Manifestation
Important Features:
[SHOW]

Aegis of Ensnarement:
I mark the target. The target remains marked until I use this power against another target. If I mark another creature using other powers, the target is still marked.
Until the mark ends, if the target makes an attack that doesn't include me as a target, it takes a -2 penalty to the attack roll.
If a target marked by this power is within 10 squares of me when it hits with an attack that doesn't include me, I can use an Immediate Reaction after the target's attack resolves to teleport the target to a square adjacent to me. The target grants CA until EoNT. If there is no unoccupied space, I can't use this effect.

Racial Traits and Class/Path/Race/Theme Features:
Swordmage Warding: When conscious and wielding a light/heavy blade, I have a magical field around me. This field grants +1 bonus to AC, or +3 bonus if I'm wielding a blade in one hand and have my other hand free.

Swordbond: By spending 1 hour of meditation with my weapon, I forge a special bond with it. As a Standard Action I can call my bonded weapon to hand from up to 10 squares away. If my bonded weapon is broken or damaged I can spend 1 hour of meditation to recreate the blade from a fragment. I can spend 1 hour of meditation with a different blade to forge a new bond, dissipating the old one.

Aegis Insight: When I use my Aegis power, I add my Wisdom mod (+2) to the burst radius.

People's History: I add my Wisdom mod (+2) to my history checks.

Teleportation Action: When I spend an AP to take an extra action, I can teleport 5 squares before taking the extra action.

Ironwrought Starting Feature: I gain a +1 power bonus to athletics and endurance checks. Whenever I use my second wind, this power bonus increases to +4 until EoNT

Ironwrought Level 5 Feature: When I'm bloodied, I gain resist 2/4/6 all damage.

Ironwrought Level 10 Feature: When I use Inevitable Strike, I gain a +1 power bonus to melee weapon attack rolls until EoNT

Cindersoul: Resist 5/10/15 fire
Watersoul: I can breathe underwater.

Notable Feats:
Intelligent Blademaster: I can use my Int mod instead of my Str mod when making a basic attack with a melee weapon.

Mark of Warding: When one of my powers grants a bonus to defense, increase that bonus by 1. Whenever I mark an enemy, it takes -3 to attacks that don't include me, instead of the normal -2. I can master and perform rituals in the Warding category and the Fluid Funds, Knock, and Leomund's Secret Chest rituals as if I had Ritual Caster.

Defender of the Wild: Once per encounter as a free action, I can mark each enemy adjacent to me as a free action.

Sudden Roots: Whenever I hit an enemy with an OA, that enemy is slowed until the end of its turn.

Double Aegis: When I use my Aegis power, I can choose to mark a second target in the burst. If they both attack allies, I have to choose which to respond to, since I still only have one immediate action per round.

Item Features:
Jagged Longsword +3: Scores critical hits on 19 or 20. Critical = ongoing 10 damage (save ends).

Ruby Scabbard: Resizes to fit any weapon placed in it. I can draw a weapon from this in the same action used to make an attack with the weapon.

Raven's Feather: Attuned to Isabelle's father.

Executioner's Bracers: When I score a critical, the attack does an extra 1d6 damage.

Gauntlets of Blood: +2 to damage roll against bloodied targets

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

As the group rests and discusses the recent events, the navigators of the crew maneuver the Saint forward. Once a safe distance away from the burning, sinking wreckage of the warship, the rendezvous with the merchant vessel currently being captained by Alador. Once close enough the hooks are tossed across and the two ships are drawn together, planks put into place.

The ships now together once more, Marian steps down from her perch upon the aftcastle and approaches the railing. She briefly glances at the huddled group, still resting, before turning her attention to the other ship. Alador is already standing near the opposing railing as she steps up. "Alright, who's hurt?" she barks before he has a chance to speak.

"A few of the men were hit, but nothing fatal. I said I'd bring them back in one piece, after all," he says.

"Hmph, we'll see," Marian responds coldly. "Bring the injured back over here, M. Villiers will make sure they are fit for sailing." Turning back to the rest of the crew, she picks some of the men at random to replace the ones being escorted to the surgeon's quarters, sending them across the plank to the merchant vessel.

"You're to trail us closely," she says, turning back to Alador. "We make for the Wastrel's Wharf, don't get lost," she says, turning to return to her post.

Alador rolls his eyes and walks away, back to his own post, instructing the men under his command to disconnect the ships. They and the others on the Saint work together to liberate the ships from one another and they begin to maneuver back apart.

Orson chuckles a bit once Marian is out of earshot. "She can never just enjoy a success for a moment before getting back to business. I will never understand that woman," he says, more to himself than any of the gathered crewmen. Turning towards the vanguard, he says, "You should go see Phil once you're done resting. You guys got a nice cut coming."

Status
[SHOW]

19 Darcell (-V, 7) | HP: 79/79 | Surges: 4/10 | AP: 1/2 | Stirring Shout, Song of Discord, Counterpoint, Sitar of Restfulness
21 Henri (-W, 13) | HP: 55/74 | Surges: 0/8 | AP: 1/2 | Warlord's Recovery, Create Opportunity, Stone of Wind, Relentless Wounding
11 Big John (-Y, 12) | HP: 82/89 | Surges: 3/11 | AP: 1/2 | Chain Ward, Tempest Dance, Staggering Spiked Chain +3, Dancing Defense
27 Liam (-X, 16) | HP: 65/75 | Surges: 1/9 | AP: 1/2 | Skwering Spikes, Charm of the Defender, Enemies Abound, Grim Shadow
23 Grommak (-Y, 17) | HP: 86/86 | Surges: 0/9 | AP: 1/2 | Attacks on the Run, Begin the Hunt, Blood of the Fallen, Jaws of the Wolf, Frenzied Skirmish
22 Isabelle (-Y, 15) | HP: 91/91 | Surges: 3/11 | AP: 1/2 | Eldritch Quagmire, Swordmage Shielding Fire, Binding Aegis

kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Liam yawns as he gets up, starting to make his way towards where he thinks Phil might be.
"Damned roight we'd bettah get a good cut lad. Naught auften I get singed like tat. Least, naught since I helped Lefty test his latest powdah concauction."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Excellent," Darcell says at the mention of a large cut. "I know a couple of Orcs in Wastrel's Wharf who have just been begging me to take their money. The buy in for their card game is rather high, but that shouldn't be a problem now," he adds, following after Liam to look for Phil.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Not this orc," Grommak promises his musician friend. "Careful with your cards around me or you'll find yourself losing your coin faster than you though possible," the orc teases as he steps along with Liam.

"Our cut'll be enough. Phil doesn't hang us out to dry, especially when we did the lion's share of the fightin'."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"We'll have to put that to the test someday," Darcell replies to Grommak with a smirk.

"But with stakes as high as these guys play, I don't exactly plan on playing fair."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Look at it this way," Henri says, stepping towards Darcell. "You'll get a pretty lady either way. You'll either be the high-roller with a pocket full of coin, or the man who's down on his luck after a game with those lot."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"The ladies of the Wharf can sod off," Grommak says with a haughty wave. "This orc's got some blade shopping to do. Got some bloodstains on my saber that won't come off," he faux-whines.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Big John grunts once more as he stands, holding his side for a moment as he feels a twinge of pain shoot along it. He follows the rest of the vanguard down into the ship, past both gundecks, then the berth deck - where the bulk of the crew's quarters are. Below that they reach the orlop deck, the spot where most of the ship's spare ropes and wood are. It is rarely frequented by the party, who have few duties that involve repairs and maintenance, instead focusing on combat and basic navigation.

Towards the middle of the deck is Phil, who is casually walking between various piles of items looted from the navy ship while the group fought below deck. It is a surprisingly large haul given the short span of time the Dogs had to search the upper deck, but no one is complaining.

"Ah, my favorite men and woman," Phil says with a smile, his pipe held in place in his mouth by his teeth. He grabs the pipe and points towards the piles of loot, making a sweeping motion with the stem. "Lots of stuff to go around. Good thing too, after that last one. Just a girl? And only for the Captain, at that? I tell ya, crew weren't happy about that. All's well now, though."

Phil lets out a laugh and places the pipe back into his mouth. He moves next to a pile of mostly guns and swords, crossing his arms and tapping it with his foot. "This stuff's what I've set aside for you Vanguard. Figure I can fence the lot for a good chunk of coin, enough for, say, 6,000 apiece. Let me know if you want it all in gold or if you want to keep any of the weapons, so I can mark the ledger," he says, more serious than before.

Loot
[SHOW]

Just as combat while on the ship is abstracted (realistically most of the crew would fight, not just the party) to not have a ton of NPCs vs other NPCs all the time, so too will any enemy drops. Therefore every enemy fought by a PC is considered part of the PC's loot, whereas the imaginary ones fought 'off-screen' by the other Dogs is their loot. All loot listed here, then, is just what was earned by the party directly while in combat.

• 20 Navyman Muskets
    Details
    [SHOW]

Military two-handed melee/ranged hybrid weapon
    Value: 1200 gp
    Damage: 1d8 melee, 1d6 ranged
    Proficient: +3
    Range: 15/30
    Weight: 8 lb.

Properties:
Reach (see books for details, applies to melee attacks only)
Load Minor (see books for details, applies to ranged attacks only)

Group:
Spear, Firearm (custom weapon group, shares feats with crossbow)

Navyman Musket +1
Level 5
Critical: +1d6 damage and target is slowed (save ends)
Enchantment: +1 attack and damage rolls.
Rarity: Uncommon
Property: a successful hit with a melee attack deals ongoing 3 damage (save ends)[/sblock2]

• 6 Officer's Sabers
    Details
    [SHOW]

Military one-handed melee weapon
    Value: 2800 gp
    Damage: 1d10
    Range: -
    Weight: 5 lb.

Properties:
High Crit (see books for details)

Group:
Heavy Blade

Officer Saber +2
Level 7
Critical: +2d6 damage
Enchantment: +2 attack and damage rolls.
Property: on a hit, the user may mark the target until the end of the user's next turn[/sblock2]

• 1 Captain's Saber
    Details
    [SHOW]

Value: 5500 gp
    Weight: 6 lb.

Properties:
Brutal 1 (see books for details)

Group:
Heavy Blade

Swift Charge Saber +2
Level 10
Rarity: Rare
Property: gain +2 item bonus to defenses against OAs provoked while charging with this weapon
Power: (Encounter) Standard Action. Use this power in place of a MBA when you make a charge attack.
Attack: Primary Ability +3 vs AC
Hit: 3d10+primary ability mod+3 damage, and the target is pushed one square and knocked prone.[/sblock2]

• 27 Amulets of the Goddess
    Details
    [SHOW]

Amulet of the Goddess +1
    Level 1
    Value: 400 gp
    Item Slot: Neck
    Enchantment: +1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
    Rarity: Common

• 1450 gp

The base sale price of these items is half of the listed values (and the buy prices for these items, and items in general, are often higher than their 'value'). Tallying the values of everything and dividing it by the number of PCs (not including DMPCs), these leads to 6000 gp apiece.

You may opt to simply take the 6000 gp that is your cut and spend it later on. If any of the items strike your fancy, or if you think you can haggle to get a better deal, you may opt to take actual items from the list above to keep or sell as you please. If you do take items from the list above, subtract half of their listed value (ie their base sale price) from the 6000 gp you would receive, and gain those items plus the adjusted amount of gp.

(Note: Separate from this list is the rifle Isabelle took from Jean-Claude Olivier's corpse. Henri possess this item, which is currently unusable and has unknown stats. Should he decide to have the item repaired the item will become usable again. Should he have it appraised after it is repaired, he will discover its potential.)

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Alright, John?" Grommak asks as he notices the wince from the big man.

Below deck, the orc steps around the stacks of weapons as the quartermaster talks, frowning while inspecting the haul. "No boomsticks for me, you can fence that junk. None of these gaudy necklaces, either," he says, gingerly sorting through, until he finds something glinting at him. "Ah, this love caught my eye earlier. What do you think, Phil? Can I take it?" Grommak asks, holding up the saber taken from the captain. "Feel free to fence whatever else is my share and give me the coin. This is more than enough for my purposes."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

What's the saber look like? Needz more swordporn pls

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Yes, yes, of course," Phil says, walking to his ledger seated on a nearby barrel. He hastily scribbles a few things in it, before stepping back to the man with a sack of coins. "Should come out to your 6000, minus the 2750 I figure I'd have gotten for that, so 3250 for you to have a grand ol' time, eh?" The man chuckles again as the orc palms the coins.

The Captains Saber
[SHOW]

Looking at it up close, Grommak gets a much better view of the intricate design of the saber - one truly fitting of a high-ranking officer such as the deceased captain. The blade is razor sharp and curved to a nice point. The length of the blade is engraved in intricate calligraphy, reading, "Protecteur des faibles. Défenseur de la foi. Puisse cette épée servir la déesse toujours, dans les mains des justes."

The hilt is simple and elegant, flawless in its craftsmanship. The golden guard protects the grip, constructed of fine leather laced with metal in a lattice pattern. The pommel takes the shape of a roaring lion, the open mouth connecting with the knuckle-bow in a complete loop from the guard.

Imardanian Translation, if Grommak asks
[SHOW]

"Protector of the weak. Defender of the faith. May this sword serve the Goddess always, in the hands of the righteous."

OOC
[SHOW]

The Captain's Saber is now no longer part of the pool of available loot. The last OOC post will not be updated, though the the Cargo section of the OOC OP will be.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Look at the edge on this piece of work," Grommak exclaims after having examined it further. "Henri, what does this bit say?" he asks, handing it off to his counterpart, but not before giving it a swing to test the balanced weight.

Idly putting his hands at his hips while the navyman reads the engraving, the orc stumbles across the triple-barrel pistol he had pocketed earlier. "Hey, Phil... check this out. Forgot I grabbed this away when we caught the Ice Man back some time. This thing work at all?" he asks, giving the quartermaster the strange weapon.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Phil looks it over for a moment, testing the locks and trigger. "Sure looks like it does. Same rules as the rest, someone wants to keep it just let me know," he says as he adds it to the heap of weapons.

Loot
[SHOW]

* 1 Triple-barreled Pistol

Details
[SHOW]

Military one-handed ranged weapon
Value: 3500 gp
Damage: 1d8
Range: 10/20
Weight: 2 lb.

Properties:
Load Free (see books for details)

Group:
Firearm (custom weapon group, shares feats with crossbow)

Rapid Fire Pistol +2
Level 8
Power: (Encounter) Standard Action. Targets one, two, or three creatures (roll separate attack/damage rolls for each)
Attack: Primary Ability vs AC
Hit: 1d8+primary ability mod damage.

This item adds 350 gp to the total amount of gold each person can receive, bring the total per person up to 6350 gp instead of the previous 6000 gp.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Henri admires the ornate blade that Grommak has claimed for his own for a moment before inspecting the engraving. With a light chuckle, he says, "Well, this is definitely a Navy blade, I can tell you that much! 'Protector of the weak. Defender of the faith. May this sword serve the Goddess always, in the hands of the righteous.' A bit pious if you ask me, but that's the Navy."

The disgraced aristocrat's eyes light up as Grommak reveals the intricate pistol he'd swiped from the merchant ship. Eager to have it in his holster, Henri adds, "I'll be taking that pistol, if I may. The rest, I've no need for. Gold will do."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Figured you'd go for the triple-barrel. Never seen a one of those, eh? Make sure you don't jam it." Grommak looks back down at the ornate blade as Henri hands it back, the inscription translated. "Well, maybe some craftsman will file that off and put something more relevant there. Like 'This was once a squid's sword. Once,'" Grommak half-jests. "'Sides, I don't need none of that Elysian shit on my blades, no offense. I've got my own spirits watching my path."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Oh, I've seen one, though never used one. This snobby kid back at the Naval Academy had one. He liked to brag about how his daddy bought it for him. Then he jammed it and about blew his hand off," Henri responds to his orcish friend, recounting his days of youth. "I won't suffer the same fate," he adds with a confident smirk.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

As Henri and Grommak discuss the Captain's sabre and the triple shot pistol, Darcell examines the other items.

"I'll just take the coin," he says after a moment, tossing an amulet of the goddess back on the pile.

"Actually I'll take four of the muskets," he says, changing his mind after a moment. "Firearms of that quality are still something of a rarity. They're bound to be worth a fair bit to some of the more nefarious elements around the Wharf. The Backwater Company maybe," he says picking one of the muskets up.

"Besides, who could resist my charm?"

kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Liam will wave his hands at the gear and take the coin.
"Fancy as the weapons an trinkets be, Aye'll be takin' the coin an goin' thank ya."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Very well, here," Phil says, counting out the coin for each person and handing it out in satchels. He records everything in his log same as before, making sure everything is accounted for. He then turns and looks expectantly towards Isabelle. "Now what about you, lass? You've been quiet."

Loot Mechanics
[SHOW]

Grommak: receives an extra 350 gp from the gun, making his total loot the Captain's Saber and 3600 gp.

Henri: receives the Triple-barreled pistol and 4600 gp.

Darcell: receives 4 of the Navyman Muskets and 3950 gp.

Liam: receives 6350 gp.

Loot Remaining
[SHOW]

* 16 Navyman Muskets

Details
[SHOW]

Military two-handed melee/ranged hybrid weapon
Value: 1200 gp
Damage: 1d8 melee, 1d6 ranged
Range: 15/30
Weight: 8 lb.

Properties:
Reach (see books for details, applies to melee attacks only)
Load Minor (see books for details, applies to ranged attacks only)

Group:
Spear, Firearm (custom weapon group, shares feats with crossbow)

Navyman Musket +1
Level 5
Property: a successful hit with a melee attack deals ongoing 3 damage (save ends)

• 6 Officer's Sabers
    Details
    [SHOW]

Value: 2800 gp
    Weight: 5 lb.

Properties:

Group:
Heavy Blade

Officer Saber +2
Level 7
Property: on a hit, the user may mark the target until the end of the user's next turn[/sblock2]
* 0 Captain's Saber

Details
[SHOW]

Value: 5500 gp
Weight: 6 lb.

Properties:
Brutal 1 (see books for details)

Group:
Heavy Blade

Swift Charge Saber +2
Level 10
Property: gain +2 item bonus to defenses against OAs provoked while charging with this weapon
Power: (Encounter) Standard Action. Use this power in place of a MBA when you make a charge attack.
Attack: Primary Ability +3 vs AC
Hit: 3d10+primary ability mod+3 damage, and the target is pushed one square and knocked prone.

• 27 Amulets of the Goddess
    Details
    [SHOW]

Amulet of the Goddess +1
    Level 1
    Value: 400 gp
    Item Slot: Neck
    Enchantment: +1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
    Rarity: Common

* 0 Triple-barreled Pistol
    Details
    [SHOW]

Military one-handed ranged weapon
    Value: 3500 gp
    Damage: 1d8
    Range: 10/20
    Weight: 2 lb.

Properties:
Load Free (see books for details)

Group:
Firearm (custom weapon group, shares feats with crossbow)

Rapid Fire Pistol +2
Level 8
Power: (Encounter) Standard Action. Targets one, two, or three creatures (roll separate attack/damage rolls for each)
Attack: Primary Ability vs AC
Hit: 1d8+primary ability mod damage.[/sblock2]

• 290 gp

(Note: Separate from this list is the rifle Isabelle took from Jean-Claude Olivier's corpse. Henri possesses this item, which is currently unusable and has unknown stats. Should he decide to have the item repaired the item will become usable again. Should he have it appraised after it is repaired, he will discover its potential.)

PureZaros
The Enigma
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by PureZaros »

"Sorry, just finishing up here." Isabelle quips, carefully adjusting the strip of cloth now covering the runes carved into her bracer, before dropping a hand to the battle scarred handle strapped to her waist. "I'll take the coin as well. I've already got a trusted blade."

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Right then, here you are," Phil says, making his final tallies in his ledger before handing over Isabelle's bag of coin. "Now that that's settled, I suggest you get back to work," he says half-heartedly. It is a phrase he is known for saying often, yet rarely meaning.

The group spends the rest of the day going about their usual business, though their daily duties are lessened in reward for a job well done. As the day turns to night the berth deck is full of merriment, the men not on night duty drinking in celebration of a good haul and the glory that comes with sinking a Navy vessel - a feat few navies can boast, let alone pirates.

Night turns to day and back again, then back to day once more. Little happens in the interim, save for a few strong waves and some light showers. Around midday two days after the battle the Saint finds itself approaching the bay that is Wastrel's Wharf. In another hour the ship is anchored and the crew begins its slow disembarkation, first Phil with his goods to peddle, followed by the officers, then the Vanguard and others to go after them. Some are required to stay on the ship, with rotations on who is allowed to be on shore and who must make sure the Saint is safe.

The merchant vessel is anchored near the Saint, and Crooked Carver brings Sam and Bargetze with him to begin repairing and refitting it for use as a pirate vessel. Some of the other crew lament being forced to aid in this, eager to get ashore and relax.

Once on shore the group is greeted by the Wharf's usual odor and ruckus. Men on the docks offload another ship, while other nearby men argue over the price of goods. A brawl is being had in the streets further up, with a gathering of men and women nearby taking bets on the victor. Stray cats and dogs, and a few more exotic beasts, rush through the streets, some chasing after the others, some tormenting the denizens of the town.

The Ice Man steps up behind the group, gazing at the goings-on all around. "Ah, the smelly shithole. Always nice to be back," he says, stepping past and walking a bit more forward, before turning back. "I'll be at the Mug o' Mead if anyone needs me. I doubt they will, new recruit and all," he says with a grin, as he turns back and walks further into town.

Loot Mechanics
[SHOW]

Isabelle: receives 6350 gp.

The rest of the loot is taken ashore and sold by Phil, and is thus no longer available for 'purchase' from the Saint's hold.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

You are now in a somewhat less linear portion of the story. You are free to explore the Wharf, check out shops and taverns, or whatever it is your character wants to do. There are plot hooks to be discovered, more to be created depending on what you do, so have at it. The PCs have the rest of the day before they must take their turns watching the Saint.

Selling/Haggling:
By default everything you sell will start at 40% its value, and everything you buy will start at 110% its value. You can try to get a better deal by doing a social skill check (bluff/diplomacy/intimidate) with appropriate fluff text, or other methods you can devise. You would be countering a DC to be determined by the individual merchants you encounter, some being easier to haggle with than others. Keep this in mind when going about your business buying and selling things, both in the Wharf and elsewhere.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

The smells of brine and sailor sweat give way to the familiar atmosphere of the Wharf, and Grommak feels a bit of relief wash over him. Wasn't sure we'd make it through that hell alive. Time to relax a bit and spend some coin, the orc thinks. Or make some.

Grommak gives a passing stray dog a friendly scruff under the neck before shooing it away. "No food for you, little guy. Go on," he says, pointing toward some stalls, but he can't get it to leave him. Whatever.

"Hey, Ice! Wait up," the swashbuckler calls out to the sorcerer, catching up and walking in pace with him. "Could do with something strong myself. Been a while since we've had anything good on board, other than that shit that Liam lugs around. Drinks on me, eh?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Grommak
[SHOW]

"I would be a fool to pass up the offer. You know the place? It tends to be one of the less-frequented watering holes around here, which is why I like it," he responds, as he and Grommak head further into town.

As they move away from the harbor section towards the more inner streets, they begin passing all manner of folks. Other crews loiter or gossip, some men try to hustle a street vendor out of his wares. Some of the women passing by give them men a flash of their goods and a wink, inviting them back to whichever of the many brothels they work at. Traders advertise their wares, gossip mongers promise interesting secrets for coin, and all manner of other low-lifes and degenerates can be found as the men head through the streets of town.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

With the odor of a thousand pirates, ruffians, and scoundrels greeting him, Henri grimaces as they reach shore. I never will quite get used to that. With a confident smirk, he shrugs and says, "What it lacks in charm, it makes up for in smells."

Waving his farewells to Grommak and the Ice Man, he says, "You two go on ahead. I've got a certain dead man's rifle to see about fixing," patting the gun husk strapped to his back. With his coinpurse full of gold and his mission known, Henri sets off into the bustling city to find a shop to repair the rifle, scoffing at a group of harlots along the way.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Streetwise to find el repair shoppe: 6(1d20) +12 = 18
Perception to keep an eye out for it: 11(1d20) +10 = 21

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Henri
[SHOW]

You know of a couple smiths in the city, but none you'd consider a gunsmith. One of the men is Imardanian, though, so he may have the most insight into the weapon. His smithy is called the the Blondel Forge, and is towards the opposite end of the docks from where you came ashore.

Another option would be to ask one of the local gossip mongers for advice, though their knowledge rarely comes without a price. They may know of any newcomers or less known experts around town, but if they don't like what you've got to offer they may point you in the wrong direction instead.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Never been. Only heard a tale or two about a crewman of ours getting thrown out for brawlin'," Grommak explains as they walk. A man along one of the main streets bumps shoulders with Grommak. Giving him a mean look, the orc quickly checks his pockets and carries on. Pigfucker.

He turns to his strange companion. "Don't think we're gonna get mugged anytime soon in this wretched slum. With your spellcraft and my blades, the thugs'd be fools to try somethin'."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Henri grumbles to himself as he shuffles down the filthy streets of the Wharf, not remembering any gunsmiths. Rather than asking the thieving locals, he decides to go to the next best place: Blondel's Forge. With the scum in this town, I'd rather see a fellow countryman. Careful to keep his eyes on his surroundings and his hand on his holster, the ex-Navyman makes his way to the smithy.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Grommak
[SHOW]

"Yeah, we're good. I've a bit of a reputation at this place, people tend to leave me be," the Ice Man says with a wink.

It doesn't take long to reach the Mug o' Mead, and the pair find it already busy despite it being the middle of the day. Raucous laughter spews from the entryway as the men make their way inside. It's not a large place by any means, but it attracts a crowd.

A group of burly sailors seem to be the origin of the laughter, likely another pirate crew or smugglers. They sit at one of the larger tables, with chairs from some of the surrounding tables pulled in to make a cramped gathering. They seem to be telling jokes and anecdotes, just passing the time as one does when at port.

"What can I get for you, hun?" comes a raspy voice from Grommak's left. Turning to face the source, the orc finds himself facing a gaunt elf woman. She is old and thin, too thin, but strong enough to carry multiple pints of mead in each hand. She is not smiling, though seems welcoming in her own way. "We got mead, a little ale, and more mead. Take a seat, I'll bring you something," she says, walking past to the crowded table with the pints.

Henri
[SHOW]

Henri makes his way, gun strapped to his back with some rope, through the streets of the town. Most of the trip can be made along the wharf, though there is a stretch that requires moving into some of the inner streets, before popping back out at a different section of the wharf later on.

As he gets to the more narrow roads of the inner city, he notices that some of the men he passes are eyeing the item he's carrying. At first it seems like just idle glances from passers by, but the further he gets the more it seems like they are drawn to the charred gun on his back, and aren't just looking his way.

Turning a corner, the young Imardanian is bumped into by a taller, more muscular man. As the two collide, he can feel a slight decrease in weight, as his rope is cut and the gun begins to fall.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Lose 1 hempen rope. Roll a d20, adding in your dexterity modifier.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

In port, Darcell grabs one of his muskets and slings it over his shoulder. Off the Saint, he heads off along the wharf trying to think where the best potential buyers would be. Members of the underworld are probably a better bet than a merchant. A merchant will want a bigger discount so he can sell it for more of a profit. Some Backwater Company Orcs would be better, or maybe even another pirate crew, he thinks as he looks around the wharf.

He winks at a group of harlots as he passes them.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Streetwise to locate where gang members/more pirates would be: 20(1d20) +16 = 36

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Darcell
[SHOW]

You know that most pirates to stick towards the wharf and its closest watering holes. Some with connections will occasionally venture more inland, trading with their partners from Talguta, but the rest stick to the coast.

The Backwater Company has a minor presence in the Wastrel's Wharf, owning a single tavern towards the western edge of the town and a couple warehouses scattered around. The tavern is mostly frequented by other members of the company, though unaffiliated orcs are known to frequent it as well. Non-orcs are a rare, often unwelcome, sight. Most business is restricted to the warehouses, which double as black market fronts. The Blackwater's fences can usually be found in them, buying goods from the pirate crews to take back to Talguta, and selling them what they can't sell in the city.

Henri
[SHOW]

You manage to catch a portion of the rope and maneuver it out of the way of the man's reaching hands just in time. Seeing his failure, he grunts and shoves you to the side with his shoulder before continue to walk past, knife still in hand.