The Firstborn — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
ratwizard
A Wan Smile
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin
The lock design is familiar to you, but tiny, and a challenge for your typical toolset. You reckon you could get it open, but it may take you a few minutes to measure the tumblers, so you can use the correct tension tool and rake without ruining the lock.

Do you want to proceed?
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

He should be fishing for a while, I've got time, Alierin thinks, setting to work on the lock. She keeps her ears open as she works, listening for any signs of Amake reentering the house or an alert from her companions outside.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin
It takes you several minutes, but you finally match the right sized tool to the lock. The cupboard slides out, and you find a smattering of documents. Specifically, there is a stack of various papers, an envelope, and a small leather pouch.
Dessarius
After several minutes of Amake standing there with his line cast, you see him jam his fishing pole in between two of the pier's planks, keeping it upright for now. He stands up, turning back toward the house as he begins to walk.
Sisera, Vaughn, Aeron
Several minutes pass. Sisera stands guard outside. What are the other two of you doing in the meantime?
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Aha! Alierin thinks as she finally cracks the lock open. She first turns her attention to the small pouch, opening it to see what it contains. She then turns her gaze to the papers, quickly flicking through them to see if any of them seem relevant. Anything from Gilo's here? She wonders, keeping an eye out in particular for his bills of sale.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by BartNL »

Vaughn tries to find a spot at a safe distance from where Amake is visible.
Info
Is there a vantage point or sth. nearby that gives Vaughn eyes on Amake?
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

OOC
You reckon you could hop the waist-high fence into the yard between Amake's house and shed, which would provide a view of the rear of his house and private pier.

If you are attempting to do so with little notice, roll Stealth.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

ooc
Dess will wait here for a bit longer, just in case.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron steps close to the door, staying ready to alert Alierin if any of the others warn of Amake's return. I hope she works quick. Not exactly a good look, being caught breaking and entering...

BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Mechanics
Stealth check using Speak with spirits: [1d20+6]=2+6=8
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Vaughn
You hop the waist-high fence, moving into the small enclosure between the house and the shed. On the side of the house is another door. Spread throughout the enclosure are a few planter boxes, filled with various crops that appear well-kept. You spot some small bushes of culinary herbs as well as some potatoes and onions. Ahead, the enclosure wraps around the house to the left, toward a ladder that leads down to a small, private pier.

On the pier, you see the form of Amake walking back toward the ladder. He looks up in your direction, but you slip out of sight — unsure if he saw you or not.
Dessarius
As Amake heads back, something catches his eye. His pace quickens toward the ladder.
Alierin
The pouch tinkles softly as you pick it up — the distinctive sound of Groznid sovereigns inside.

The papers are all seemingly unrelated to each other. Some are notes in some shorthand that appear to be about fishing. Others are an improvised ledger of sorts, with scribbled numbers and corrections on them. However, a few pages deep one catches your eye: a sales receipt in what you now recognize as Gilo's stationary. It is written in the same terrible handwriting as before, though somewhat more legible. Listed is one purchase last week for ten sacks of smelling salts, amounting to fifteen gold.

The envelope is open and appears to have a letter inside it. The front is addressed to Amake, in a scrawling print unfamiliar to you.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Alierin considers pocketing the coin purse, but decides against it. For the first time in a long time the coin in her pocket is already enough to support her family for several weeks.

Well well well! she thinks, spotting the sales receipt. We'll have to not let either of them burn this one.

She pockets the sales receipt, before placing the coin purses and other papers back inside the cabinet, save for the envelope which she turns her attention to removing the letter and reading it.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Dessarius sees Amake's sudden urgency. Did he catch sight of me? He thinks to himself. He begins quickly walking back toward the others now, confident that even if Amake were to leave from behind his home, he'd have to go for a swim anyway.
Mechanics
Going to make a Perception check to see if Dessarius notices anything worrying on his return: [1d20+6]=15+6=21 He's looking to see if he can specifically spot what worried Amake, anyone else watching the dock or something.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Vaughn returns to the front door the warn the group
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin
You pocket the sales receipt. As you close the cabinet and go to open the letter, you catch movement in the window to the front of the house. Vaughn looks to be returning, in a hurry.
Aeron & Sisera
Vaughn returns suddenly from around the side of the house.
Vaughn
You quickly return to the front of the house, where Aeron, Sisera, and Cymril are gathered. Alierin appears to still be inside the house.
Dessarius
You notice that Amake had glanced upwards, toward his yard beside the house. Something clearly caused him to pick up the pace.

You begin your way back around the dock and toward the others.
OOC
It will take another DM update or two for you to reach their position, just FYI.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

He must have spotted something, I can read this outside, Alierin thinks, quickly making for the door in case Amake is returning inside from his spot of fishing. I said to make an owl sound...
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Seeing Vaughn return with urgency, Aeron looks to the door with panic. He attempts an owl noise into the house, hoping Alierin hears it. C'mon, get out of there before we make this worse again.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

At least someone listened to me, Alierin thinks, hearing the soft hooting as she goes to open the door.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Everyone but Dessarius
Alierin appears at the door, stepping through it and outside, before closing it quietly behind her.

"What? Did you see him?" Cymril whispers to Vaughn.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Stepping away from the door slightly, Alierin turns her attention back to the envelope, opening it and reading the letter inside.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"H-he looked like he was returning to the house." Vaughn says out of breath.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Alierin
You open up the envelope which is unsealed already, pulling free a letter. It appears to be dated just over a year ago, and is addressed from Tiz Teberi to Amake.

Mardia, 43rd of Grens, 2E Y22

Amake,

I was informed yesterday by a mutual party that you have decided not to compete in this year's competition. While I really would've liked being told in person, I am grateful to have received a response one way or another before the entry window closes tomorrow.

I know you have your reasons, as Kumara knows you are right to. However, I'll repeat again what I said last year — the decision to disqualify you was by no means personal. The rules must be upheld, otherwise what good are they? I would have made the same exact call whether that fish was in the hands of some mewling pup or a reigning champ's.

If you ever change your mind, there will always be a spot for you next year. Otherwise, I hope to see you out on the pier sometime.

— Tiz
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron feels relief as he sees Alierin emerge from the front door, eyeing the envelope she's holding. "Might not wanna linger too close," he says, trying to corral his group a bit away from Amake's house. "What'd you find though?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well it looks like we have our culprit," Alierin replies to Aeron as she finishes reading the letter. "Amake was disqualified from the competition two years ago, and he recently bought a bunch of smelling salts from Gilo," she says, offering the two bits of paper to anyone interested in reading them for themselves.

"Let's not let anyone burn these this time," she adds.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Everyone but Dessarius
As you speak, Amake appears at the waist-high gate that leads into the enclosure Vaughn came from. He immediately spots your group lingering near the corner. "You juvenile little shits! I saw one of you lurking back here, like the creeping sort you are," he shouts at a distance. A pair of passersby glance in his direction, which causes him to shrink somewhat. As they continue on, he redoubles his haranguing with a pointed finger and a growl. "I told you, get the hell away from my property. The next time I see you around here, I won't hesitate to use force!"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron grits his teeth in anger as Alierin discloses her findings. "He threw Ekel's life away over a fishing contest?" He says, flabbergasted over the obscene pettiness and selfishness of the aged fisherman. He eyes the rabid man, clenching his fists. "Let's just get Dess and get out of here. He's not even worth confronting. We can show what we found to Ulungi and Tiz," he says to the others.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Sounds like a plan," Alierin says, glad to finally have gotten to the bottom of the mystery.

"We're going!" She yells back at the fishermen, making her hand into an obscene gesture as she starts heading away from his home, heading for Dess' lookout spot.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Everyone but Dessarius
Amake stays at his gate, watching you, until you leave sight of him. You continue back west along the boardwalk. In just a short moment, you catch sight of Dessarius.
Dessarius
Making your way back to the group, you find them halfway, having already left Amake's.
Cymril waves to Dessarius. "We were just leaving," she says. "It got pretty loud back there."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Looks like we've got our man though," Alierin adds. "We're going to let Tiz and Ulungi know now," she explains.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Let's," Aeron says, beginning to lead the way back toward Gold Harbor Shipping. I guess that's both jobs then. What a tragedy...

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Hopefully something is done," Sisera responds, a frown streaking across her face ever since the man began shouting. "He is unpleasant, I will feel no sorrow for his punishment to come." She follows after the others, eager to reveal the news they'd discovered and proceed to the evening job they have lined up.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

OOC
Gold Harbor was closed for the day, as you saw Ulungi locking up and leaving. You could report your findings to him at another time, but Tiz Teberi would likely be your main priority.

Do you want to go back to Fisherman's Wharf?
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Aeron stops for a moment, remembering that Gold Harbor is closed by now. Almost forgot with all the nonsense we've had to deal with today... He grimaces to himself, setting course for the Wharf to see Tiz. With any luck, she'll be able to pass along our findings.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Alierin follows after Aeron as he heads for the wharf. And we still have Gerirl's mess to sort out. It's been a day, she thinks as they walk, her thoughts turning to what still lies ahead.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

You head from Amake's back toward Fisherman's Wharf. The storms appear to have finally moved on, leaving puddle-soaked planks and a dreary overcast sky. In its place, a chilly breeze has picked up. The fishing folk you pass hardly seem to notice, however, their attention on their cast lines.

Back on the wharf, you spot Tiz Teberi, standing near a just-arrived wagon of goods for the upcoming festivities tomorrow. "Oh, good," she says, her ears perking up as she notices the six of you approaching. "I hope you've brought good news. It'd be a damn shame to call all of this off at this point." She beckons you back toward her shed that serves as an improvised office, where you can speak privately. As soon as you file in through the door, she turns to face you.

"So, what's the news?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Aye. I'm not sure if you'll think it's good news, but we figured it out," Aeron begins, somewhat relieved to have finally reached a conclusion on this goose chase. "It was Amake. I guess he was still upset over being disqualified years back and wanted to sabotage the tournament. He bought smelling salts from Gilo and had his deceased accomplice spread them around the nokve caves." He frowns, heart still aching over the death caused by sheer pettiness.

"I don't think he'll try it again, so you shouldn't have to cancel. He seemed pretty guilt-ridden."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Amake?" Tiz repeats, her mouth falling slack for a moment before tightening in restrained anger. "That was what all this nokve business was about? Over a grudge the rest of us have long forgotten about? Oh, for Kumara's sake, the fucking selfish coward."

She takes a deep breath, growling in release. "And he even got a youngling killed over it." She spits on the ground.

"With that boy dead, I doubt Amake'll see to pissin' off the nokve himself. It sounds like you thinned them out a fair shake, too, so the Point shouldn't see any more of them for at least another breeding season." She shakes her head bitterly. "How'd you find all this out, exactly? You got any proof or just a good sense of the truth?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"We found a receipt of Amake's, from Gilo's. He bought a bunch of the smelling salts that were riling up the nokve," Alierin explains, digging out the bill of sale from her pockets and handing it over to Tiz. "It's not exactly catching him holding the knife, but combine it with his grudge, his familiarity with Ekel, and his evasiveness and hostility towards us, I think it paints a pretty clear picture," she says.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Tiz Teberi squints at the paper, holding it up to a window for better light. "Hard to read, but you're right. That's quite a lot of smelling salts to pass off as anything other than his skullduggery. That miserable old fool. I'll keep this," she says. "Don't know what to do with it yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something. I doubt the clan would give two shits, but the rest of Movek deserves to know."

"As for payment,"
 the orcish woman continues. "Don't think we ever decided on that, but I can make it fair." She pulls out a coinpurse, beginning to count out ten-piece sovereigns. Partway through, she glances up to Aeron and Alierin in particular. "One of you the leader? You want to take all of it for now?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Could you pass along our findings to Ulungi too?" Aeron asks the woman, knowing his role in this chronicle was a vital one. "I'm sure he'd be grateful for the closure." I wonder what will become of Amake after this. But play foolish games... Eyeing the coinpurse, he gives a weak smile and holds his hand out. "I can hold onto it for now." Looking to his companions, he says, "I'll get everyone their fair share once we're done tonight."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Already planned on it," Tiz Teberi agrees with a smile, her surly tone fading. "And here you go. I hope I won't ever need your services again, but feel free to come by Movek anytime you want. I'm usually around these parts."

She finishes counting out coins, placing twenty of them into Aeron's hand. "The competition's tomorrow. Entries are already closed, but seeing how you're the reason we're still able to do this thing, I'd say you're welcome to cast a line."
Aeron
She hands you the equivalent of 200 gp.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Some fishing may be nice to clear our minds of tragedy. Thank you for the invitation." Vaughn replies with a polite nod.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Aye, we might take you up on that tomorrow," Aeron says with a returned smile, tucking the coins away in his own pouch. "Thank you." I'll do the math later. We've got more to do today. He looks to his companions, letting out a sigh that carries the weight of their day. "Let's head out. I don't want to keep Gerirl waiting."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Not a bad haul after all of that. If we keep this up for a couple of months we'll all be able to move out of the hovels and into proper homes elsewhere in the city. No more drafts or leaky roofs, would do wonders for Mother's health, assuming we'd be welcome there anyway, Alierin thinks as she eyes the coins Tiz hands over to Aeron.

"Let's," she agrees with Aeron as he mention's her brother. "That idiot's mess isn't going to clean up itself."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

As usually, Sisera allows the others to do the talking, not keen on interrupting the much more adept Aeron. One job complete, one more to go. We help Alierin's brother and then I can finally return home to Tesni. She allows herself a small smile at the thought of finally making it back to their small lodging for the evening.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"We have a little bit of time still," Alierin says, glancing up at the sun as it approaches the horizon. "We should grab some food," she suggests.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Not a bad idea. We've all earned a short rest," Aeron says with a nod, looking around for any places they might get a meal at.

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Dessarius catches up with the others and nods as they catch him up to speed. "Right, well... that settles it then. Let's get back before it's too late." He says, and then follows the others back to Tiz.

As the group speaks with Tiz, and she offers to let them cast a line, Dessarius gives a soft smile, "Thank you, I appreciate it." He pauses for a moment, "I'm sorry that the news we brought couldn't have been happier, but alas, that happens." He reaches out to shake her hand. "Please, enjoy the rest of your night as best as you can." He nods, and gives a soft bow, then leaves with the others.
"I don't want to push us in any direction, but I am starving. I haven't had much to eat since quite early, before I left for work." He looks between the others and shrugs. "I'm not very picky, either. Wherever we want to go, I'll adjust." He says with a smile.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Food is good," Sisera responds, her stomach grumbling after the day full of fighting and much walking. "Lead and I'll follow."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

In your time walking back and forth across Movek Point today, you can recall a number of eateries along the main waterfront. The Pail o' Chum, where you met Amake; Tides and Tails, a stall that appeared to be roasting shellfish and local game; and Kibiri's, a quiet haunt with only a few patrons.

Alternatively, you could stop in Vozto on the way back, or find something more familiar and closer to home near the Low Docks.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I don't think I feel like seafood after those caves," Alierin says, the acrid smell of the smelling salts combined with that of the rotting fish and shellfish scraps discarded by the Nokve still lingering on her nostrils.

"Let's grab something closer to home."