The 17th, Chapter 1: A Missing Maiden

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: The 17th, Chapter 1: A Missing Maiden

Post by Namelessjake »

"We're part of the City Watch," Varo says again, somewhat frustrated. "A girl is missing as was last seen here, at the Carpenter's Ball. We need to ask you some questions, and then you can get back to running your kitchen."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Michel feels relieved as the young woman mentions she was in attendance at the ball. Thank Elys. Maybe she knows something helpful. "Thank you," he starts off, thankful for her assistance. "Do you happen to know Sasha Lapioux? She was last seen that night, where she disappeared with a mysterious young man. She hasn't been seen since. Perhaps you saw her that evening?"

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Michel
[SHOW]

"Lapioux?" the woman replies, racking her brain. "The name rings a bell but I have not met a Sasha. Perhaps she wasn't a regular," she suggests. "And the mysterious young man, do you have any idea who?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I'm afraid not," Michel responds to the woman, a bit disappointed she doesn't know Sasha, but not disheartened. "Sasha's friend seemed to think he was a newcomer. Tall, thin, black hair."

Remembering the distinguishable emblem, Michel adds, "He was, however, wearing a necklace from the..." He hesitates for a moment, knowing the secretive nature of the Society, before finishing, "Arenport Hunter's Society. Do you know of it?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Larkin
[SHOW]

The man happily hands over the drink, watching in amusement as Larkin attempts to hide the food she is gathering from the table. "My my miss, first time to an event? There is plenty of food to go around, you can have as much of it as you like. There's even more at my table, if you care to join me." The man holds out his hand to the dwarf, inviting her to come with him.

Carolus, Galen, Varo
[SHOW]

The woman's brow furrows as Varo speaks. "And you think I know anything? I don't typically even leave this kitchen," the woman says with annoyance. "Do you know how much planning and effort an event like this takes? Nobody has time to help with an investigation, come back after it's over and maybe then someone will have time to talk." The woman scoffs and turns, going back to yelling at her employees.

TemplarsBane
Nickapotamus
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by TemplarsBane »

Waiting out in the ballroom, Gael begins to feel nervous with the many eyes on him. His criminal days had formed lasting habits that were hard to break. Everywhere he looks there are watches, glasses, dishes, and other items just begging to be stolen.

Relax Gael. Just look professional and try not to seem nervous around these rich bastards. I wouldn't want to have to arrest you. He thinks to himself as he chuckles slightly.

Last edited by TemplarsBane on Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
istillblamemint
Registered for: 8 years

Post by istillblamemint »

Larkin took the glass of wine, balancing it awkwardly in her right hand. With her left, she attempted to clumsily stuff the pastries into multiple pockets as he spoke.

She flushed indignantly at his words, embarrassed and insulted. Larkin bit her tongue before she could say anything else and pressed her lips into something she hoped was a smile.

"Of course," she said, taking his hand. "I really had thought I was being more stealthy though," she murmured, irritated.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I don't know how much planning it takes and honestly I don't care." Varo says aggressively. "A girl's life is in danger and she was last seen leaving here with a member of the Hunter's Society. If she dies and I found out you knew something that could have helped our investigation I'll clap you in irons myself."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Intimidation Check: 7(1d20) +5 = 12

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Michel
[SHOW]

"Ah, him," the woman replies with a face of recognition. "He was quite handsome. I didn't meet him myself but he did arrive with a... friend, a man named Gauthier. Blonde hair, beard, quite a stocky man. The tall one caught my eye but he was... otherwise occupied."

kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by kalis5 »

Galen looks to Varo as he starts to act aggressively. He holds a hand out to try to calm Varo.
"Madam Diessa, forgive us for our intrusion. I can clearly see that we are disturbing you whilst you are working, our timing could have been better, assuredly. I would be willing to wait until the event was over, however, we may not have the time.

So, I propose this. We can simply get what information we need from the registration, and from your workers, if you gave your word, I am sure they would be most helpful and keep us out of your hair. We would not disturb them, and would choose when we interrupt them carefully to avoid stopping them from their work. All we need, is to be able to say that you have given us permission to question the servers, we would keep out of the guests way as well."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Diplomacy to try to get the Maitre D to be more accomadating: 14(1d20) +11 = 25

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Gauthier, eh? What can you tell me about him? Have you met him before?" Michel asks the woman, hoping to have discovered a new lead in the case. Hopefully this Gauthier hasn't disappeared too. He'd have to know who this mystery man is.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Michel
[SHOW]

"Gauthier, yes," the woman replies. "I... knew him once, years ago." Her expression changes. "He's part of the Hunter's Society. That's how I knew the tall one was, too."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Oh, I- I'm sorry if I've brought up anything unpleasant," Michel replies sincerely, noting her change of expression. But aware that the job must come first, he adds, "Do you happen to know where I may find this Gauthier? We may have some question for him."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Michel
[SHOW]

"I don't, I'm afraid," the woman responds. "The Hunter's Society is known to obfuscate its meeting-places." She looks back to the group she was conversing with, and they return her gaze. "Now if you'll excuse me, watchman," she says politely before turning to walk away.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Larkin
[SHOW]

As she takes his hand, the man leads Larkin through the crowd. They make their way to another section of the outer edge of the room, to a table with two women and a man seated at it, as well as a few empty seats. There is an array of foods at the table already, some clearly being eaten by some of the table's occupants, but others that it seems no one has gone for yet.

"Ah, pardon my manners," the man says on approach. "I forgot to mention that we would not be dining alone. These are my friends, Clara," one of the women - a blonde - smiles and waves. "Melanie," the other woman - a brunette - waves, though she does not turn to acknowledge Larkin's presence. "And Edward," the man - also blonde - gives a quick glance and a nod before returning to his conversation with Melanie. "And friends, this is... ah, look at this, I never got your name," the man says, turning to look at Larkin expectantly.

Carolus, Galen, Varo
[SHOW]

"Fine, whatever. Question the servers if you must, but do not disrupt the flow of work. If you only talk to one at a time it should be alright. But if I find you're slowing things down I'll have you tossed right out," Diessa replies, her back turned the entire time as she continues to correct the mistakes of her cooks.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Thank you for your help, Miss. I greatly appreciate it," Michel says as the woman goes to take her leave. With a friendly grin he adds, "If I were in the proper attire, I'd ask you for a dance. But as for now, I suppose I'll bid you adieu. Enjoy your evening, Miss." With this, he turns to return to Gael's side.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Thank you," Varo says through gritted teeth. He turns to the nearest server. "You! Were you working during the Carpenter's Ball?" He asks.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Carolus, Galen, Varo
[SHOW]

"Y- yes, sir," The server replies, confused, having just entered after the shouting had ended. The skinny, terrified-looking man continues on with his duties while keeping an eye towards Varo.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Michel
[SHOW]

A familiar smile returns to her face and she bids you adieu. You return to the side of Gael, who still seems to be on watch.

Gael
[SHOW]

You continue to stand watch, noting nothing too out of the ordinary about the party. The man across the ballroom continues to stare at you, and you notice him excuse himself from the men he stand with, walking toward a less-lit part of the hall. He looks back and makes brief eye contact with you for a moment before disappearing behind a door in the far wall.

In addition, you see Michel make his way back to you after he had been talking to what seemed to be an attractive young woman.

TemplarsBane
Nickapotamus

Post by TemplarsBane »

Gael nods towards the young woman Michel had been talking to, "I see you've acquired a lead. But is it for business or pleasure?" Gael asks slightly teasingly.

Shifting topics to a more serious note, Gael mentions, "The man I noticed earlier, the one who seemed suspicious, just walked through that door over there." He says, indicating the door across the room. "No real grounds to follow him other than a gut feeling. Thoughts?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"A bit of both, actually. But I do have a lead. Our mystery man evidently arrived with a friend to the Carpenter's Ball," Michel says to his fellow watchman as he returns to Gael's side. "A man named Gauthier. Blonde, bearded, stocky, and also a member of the Hunter's Society."

Turning his head towards where his partner mentioned the strange man had exited, Michel responds, "If you believe it warrants investigation, then by all means, trust your gut. I did notice him continuously glance at you before I ventured off, so he does seem like an odd character."

"But if you're gonna follow him, do it discreetly. We don't want unwanted attention," Michel advises Gael, assuming the man would follow his gut feeling.

istillblamemint

Larkin gave close-lipped smiles at the friends, nodding when it felt appropriate, however, she kept her eyes on the spread of food.

"Well, look at that," Larkin echoed dryly. "I'm Larkin. Larkin Bly. Pleasure to meet you all," she muttered absently as she leaned over to take yet another pastry.

Larkin eyed the man as she attempted to nibble delicately at the pastry. "So, do you come here often?" she asked without grace. Appetite satiated, she decided to try to become useful for the investigation.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"A girl went missing after the ball," Varo says, following the server as he continues with his duties. "Sasha Lapioux. Very pretty, dark brown hair, wearing pale blue dress. She was last seen leaving with a member of the Hunter's Society, tall dark and handsome. Did you see them at all or even know who the man is?" Varo asks. "Anything at all could be useful to the case. She was arrived with a Chartrice who I gather is something of a regular here."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Larkin
[SHOW]

"An exotic name!" the man says with a smile, inviting Larkin to sit in a sit next to him as he takes a seat himself.

"Oh, all the time!" Clara interjects, in response to the young woman's question. "There are so many grand events held here, anyone who's anyone makes a point to show their face. I take it this is your first time here?"

Carolus, Galen, Varo
[SHOW]

"I see many pretty ladies, but I don't remember any of their names," the man says meekly as he continues carrying out his duties.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Hmm, never mind then," Varo says, turning away from the server and back to the group. "Honestly I don't know if we'll find anything here," he says. "A girl leaving a ball with a man is a regular enough of an occurrence that it's not going to stick in anyone's mind. Especially when this place seems to throw one every night. The Hunter's Society is our best lead at the moment, maybe we should chase that up rather than wasting time here?" He suggests.

istillblamemint

"Er, yes. New to the area, actually," Larkin replied quickly as she obligingly sits down, slightly put off by the "anyone who's anyone" remark. She wasn't completely lying, after all.

"Oh, by any chance, do you happen to know anybody named Sasha Lapioux?" Larkin asked after a moment, attempting to be delicate and nonchalant.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Carolus, Galen, Varo
[SHOW]

"The Hunter's Society," Miranda echoes, listening to her captain. "I've heard them to be very elusive. Has the Watch any idea where they congregate?" she asks.

kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by kalis5 »

Galen sets a hand to his chin, thinking upon this.
"Hm... Miranda, you may have just stumbled onto something there."
He motions to the servant, giving him a simple smile.
"Forgive us for all the questions, but I was wondering, at the Carpenter's Ball, there was supposedly a man with a unique emblem on display. A square, metallic in looks, positioned on the end of a necklace, much like a locket, with an emblem that looked like antlers? I'm sure something that unique would likely draw attention not just one night but many nights for you. Perhaps a man with such an emblem is here tonight?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Larkin
[SHOW]

"I don't know a Sasha Lapioux, but I know of a Guillaume Lapioux," the other man - Edward - chimes in, at the mention of the name. "He got my friend out of a trespassing charge once. A crooked watchman pinned the crime on him even though he had a solid alibi. Good man, M. Lapioux. Perhaps they are related?"

"Sasha could be his daughter, I heard he had a daughter," responds Melanie, who still has not turned to acknowledge Larkin's presence.

"Could be," says Edward, as the two ease back into the conversation they'd been having before.

"Is Sasha a friend of yours?" the first man asks with a smile, as he gazes on towards you. "We can go and find her if you've lost her in the crowd," he continues, before taking another sip of his drink.

Carolus, Galen, Varo
[SHOW]

The servant Varo had questioned before is just exiting the kitchen as Galen is speaking, ignorant of the man continuing to question him. However, another chimes in as he overhears the conversation taking place.

"Antlers' probably the Hunter's Society. You see them all the time here, probably a few in any given event," the man says, as he chops a large quantity of scallions. "If you've a keen eye I'm sure you could find one out there in the crowd. Though you may not even need to spot the pin, just look for a muscular, boisterous man and there's a good chance he's a member or knows one," the man adds with a chuckle.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Finding a member willing to help us would definitely go a long way with the investigation," Varo says. "Hopefully the secretive nature of the group doesn't interfere. Some may be willing to protect the group's reputation despite the fact a girl's life is at stake. Let's go see if we can find one of them and convince them to help," he continues, heading back towards the main ball room.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Varo
[SHOW]

You are now in the ballroom.

istillblamemint

"Mmm, no, I was just curious. Thank you for offering though," Larkin replied, tacking on the last part hastily.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Larkin
[SHOW]

"Ah, alright," the man responds. "Please, if you are still hungry there is plenty here," he says, motioning towards the spread laid out on the table. "Or if not, perhaps you'd like to take a walk with me? There is a lovely garden we could talk in, just outside."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

As he spots Varo and the others emerging from the kitchen, Michel gives them a quick wave, signalling them to him. "Welcome back," he says to his comrades. "Learn anything useful from Diessa?"

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Unfortunately not. They throw too many balls here and the staff are too busy to be of much help. A girl leaving the ball with a man is hardly an uncommon occurrence," Varo replies.

"Our best lead at the moment is the Hunters' society. We should try and see if there are any here tonight," he says, scanning the ball room.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception check to look for anyone wearing the embelem or with the build a member would have: 15(1d20) +5 = 20

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I agree," Michel says, nodding at Varo's suggestion. "I did speak with a woman who saw our mystery man the other night, and he arrived with a friend, a man named Gauthier. Blonde hair, bearded, and on the stocky side. And also part of the Hunter's Society. He may be worth looking into," he adds, disclosing his newly learned information.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Good work!" Varo replies. "He should be able to identify our mystery man."

istillblamemint

She eyed the food laid out on the table. "Mm, I'd love to," Larkin mumbled, taking a handful of cookies and crackers before turning to follow the man to the garden as some voice in her head told her that staying there to eat the food would be the rude thing to do.

TemplarsBane
Nickapotamus

Post by TemplarsBane »

"Excellent. Well what are we waiting for?" Gael asks eagerly. "Let's seek this Hunter's Society out and see what we see, eh?"

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Varo
[SHOW]

Spending a couple moments to scan the ballroom for anybody that fits the description, you manage to take note of one man wearing the emblem on his chest. He stands in a group, chattering away with some of the patrons. The man has auburn hair, a closely cropped beard, and a broad but cut frame. He leans casually on an ornate cane, its pommel a solid silver ball. At once, the group bursts into laughter, likely hearing the tail end of a good joke or anecdote. He picks up his cane to place it under his arm for a moment, only to applaud the humor of the other patron. The man's laugh turns to a smile as he returns the cane to the ground and once more leans against it.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"There's a man displaying the emblem over there. The one with the cane. He's not Gauthier but definitely in the society. Come," Varo says to Michel before walking over to the man.

"Excuse me Sir, I couldn't ask you a few questions quickly could I? City Watch business I'm afraid," he says once he reaches the group.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"On your lead," Miranda says to Varo as she and the others follow behind him.

As Varo approaches the group of patrons, their smiles fade and the chatter drops entirely. At the Watchman's question, they turn to look at the man with the sigil. He raises an eyebrow. "Could you?" he asks, and a grin forms on his face. You notice he seems to be pretty well intoxicated. "And what sort of business is this regarding, Watchman?" His lean on his cane intensifies and he cocks his head slightly to the other side, awaiting a response.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I'm not sure how much you're going to get out of this guy," Michel whispers to Varo, noticing the man's inebriated state. "He's pretty drunk. Though maybe his lips will be looser."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Varo rolls his eyes slightly at the man's grin. "We're looking for a couple of members of your society," he says tapping the man's emblem with a finger.

"A blonde man named Gauthier and a friend of his. Tall, dark hair. Know them?"

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I do," the Huntsman replies with a smile, having noticed the man's eyes roll. "But what would Watchmen such as yourselves want with my fellow men?" He puts on a very inauthentic look of concern and innocence. "We would never do any act that would besmirch our glorious name." The others standing with him softly titter at the scene.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"We'd simply like to ask them a few questions," Michel says, keeping it as vague as possible. "Do you know their full names and where we could find them?" he asks the drunk man, hoping to learn the identity of their mystery man.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"We just need their help. I assure you, the reputation of the Hunter's Society remains as prestigious and upstanding as ever," Varo says, reluctantly stroking the man's ego.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Bluff check if needed(it's sort of a lie sort of not): 3(1d20) +8 = 11

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Larkin
[SHOW]

The man smiles again as he notices Larkin sneaking more food. He leads her through the crowd and to a door on the right side of the back wall of the large ballroom. From there they pass through a narrow corridor, with no side doors, that exits at a second door into the garden out back.

The initial view from the doorway is magnificent. The garden is surrounded on its other three sides by large, wrought iron fences lined with well-kept hedges for privacy. Lining the hedges are topiaries, cut into shapes ranging from Imardanian heroes to exotic animals. A small brick pathway weaves through the area, lined with oil-lit lanterns and passing by several ponds, flower displays, and small fruit trees. As you walk along the path, you notice in the distance the towering walls of St. Geneviève's Cathedral.

Once outside, away from the bustling crowd, the man speaks up once more. Walking side by side - though not too close for comfort - he says, "so what has brought you to this city, if you don't mind me asking? Sadly, more people tend to move away than choose to resettle here." He turns to face you as he awaits an answer, his smile not as wide as before, but still present.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Ah, Gauthier Sannes. A lovely, hearty fellow," the Huntsman responds with a giddy smile. "And what did you say? Tall, dark hair?" he asks, racking his brain. "There are a handful of fellows by that description, you know. Being tall sort of comes with being a Huntsman. Vincent Galles, Bartolo Trioulle, the Eagle, Monpeli Corroux, could be any one of them. We get along famously with each other, and I know Gauthier has many a friend."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Thank you friend, you've been a big help," Varo says, giving the man a courteous nod before turning away from his group.

"Well we have our suspect's name now. It's just one of four," he says to Michel.