The Hollowguard IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: The Hollowguard IC

Post by Fialova »

"Fighting's fine, I'm sure they will leave us be. They wouldn't hurt me and Kat, at the very least. I'm sure the men will be fine," she smiles, glancing back at the others. As the subject switches to horses, she decides to weigh in. "Yeah, walking is how we get around. People know our name, sure, but as you may have noticed we don't have all that much money. Walking is good, though. Closer to the ground, no chance of being knocked off. Can't hurt to use your legs!"

Excited to move, she marches out the door into the fresh spring breeze, dropping her bag for a moment to stretch. She gazes up at the sky while waiting for the remaining members to join her, eager to be on the road, enjoying the sights and sounds of nature instead of cooped up in her room.
Zeroth
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Zeroth »

A week!? Tristan couldn't quite keep himself from grimacing this time, already feeling a nervous chill spreading through him. It had taken him forever to get here, hitching rides where he could find them from kindly peasants and their hay carts on the road. That had been bad enough, sitting with stinking animals or listening to farmers drum on about their poor pathetic lives, but now these sellswords wanted him to march?

"W-well, I suppose there's...no helping it..." He sighed, reaching beneath his hat to scratch his head for a moment, before following after Tess with slumped shoulders. His father couldn't even have lent him the family carriage? Or at least a horse? Again he sighed, staring listlessly at the long, looooong road ahead.
PureZaros
The Enigma
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by PureZaros »

At the prospect of work to do, Mattias returns to his room and begins buckling on his armor. Piece by piece he assembles the suit of metal around him, shrugging it into a comfortable position after everything is strapped on. Smiling lightly, he leans down and grabs the large shield resting beside his bed, strapping it to his back. Ahh, it's good to feel this weight again. I don't get to go full armor very often anymore. Even in the temple it was rare. He thinks, reminiscing on the relatively few times where ceremony or pomp required the guards to present themselves in such a manner.

Stooping again, Matthias grabs his sword and an already packed bag, swinging both over his shoulder and heading back downstairs. He catches the tail end of the walking topic, and sighs inwardly, scowling. Such a distance, and in this heavy armor. Maybe I shouldn't be so happy to wear the whole of it. Upon seeing the Tristan's disillusioned face, though, he brightens up slightly. Ah, another that appears to dislike the travel arrangements. Walking out behind him, Matthias clanks his armor together lightly. "It's worse like this, Tristan. Be glad."
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

All of the party is soon ready and they set off on their journey, with the sun still rising in the sky. Ser Jorran claims to have other business to attend to, not joining the group, something the older members are more than accustomed to. Spirits are high as they quickly make their way through Stonebrook and out into the countryside of The Hollow.

The first day passes uneventfully. The roads are mostly deserted after leaving the proximity of Stonebrook, save for the occasional horse and cart loaded with food for market, and the time travelling is passed with small talk, mostly directed at getting to know Tristan and Bronnis, the new members of the company. The party makes camp that evening near a small patch of woodland slightly off the road, using the trees as shelter from the wind, and settles in for a night sleeping around a camp fire.

Rising early the next morning, the camp is soon packed up and the fire put out. After less than an hour of more walking, the colossal walls and towers of Darden's Hold come into view on the horizon, a common sight for many of the adventurers. The giant hill the castle is built upon and the flatness of the surrounding plains means the keep dominates the surrounding landscape.

Shortly after noon the party nears the walls of the town which surrounds much of the base of the hill. As they approach the entrance, a large wooden gate built into the large weathered stone walls, the party is stopped by four soldiers. Wielding spears and wearing surcoats bearing the sigil of House Tarbor, they appear to be part of the town guard. "Halt!" One of the men says, stepping forward. "State your business," he says, his eyes moving from party member to party member.
Zeroth

Post by Zeroth »

Though he gulped nervously, Tristan didn't think that word had spread from his hometown yet about his situation. Despite being one of the bannermen of the Hollow's rulers and working his way towards accumulating more wealth and status for the family, his father was technically just a second-generation landed knight. Not someone the upper echelons of nobility would keep track of...he hoped.

Barely meeting the stony gaze of the guardsman, he stepped forward and held up his right hand, showing the Ansel signet ring.

"I am Tristan, first born son of House Ansel, and as of today part of the Hollowguard with these fine ladies and gentlemen." He managed to keep the tremor out of his voice, though he didn't sound as sure of himself as he had meant to. "We're passing through on work. I have papers for my own identity, if you require them..." He looked at the others, hoping he hadn't accidentally made himself the group's spokesperson.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Bronnis smiles when the young man begins to produce his identification papers, something that he had never bothered with. "Surely you've heard of the Hollowguard, eh?" he asks the guardsmen. "Got a lick o' work to do."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Tess rolls her eyes as both new members of the group try to speak for everyone. You'd think they'd leave something like this to the people who've been here longer. She steps forward slowly, looking up at the man. "Hey, love," she says, flitting her eyelashes at the man. "You remember me, don't you? Just passing through, as always."
kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by kalis5 »

Elmar looks at the others as he waits for them to give the guards the description of what they are doing. He keeps his mouth shut all the same, and looks a bit worried when Tess speaks up.
Tess forgets sometimes how elves are treated unfortunately... This may lead to some trouble with the guards, given her brazen attitude. If no one else speaks up for us, I may have to... Though I doubt they will listen to me.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

As Tess flirts, the guard looks back towards the others, he shrugs slightly before turning back to the party. "Ah whatever. The gate's only shut because of the war," he says, nodding to the others who open the gate. "You're coming from the North anyway," he adds, stepping aside to let the mercenaries into the city.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Tess frowns as she is ignored by the man. How rude, he didn't even acknowledge me. She steps into the city as the gates open, eager to move forward and get to the action. After she gets a short ways inside the gates she pauses, turning back to face the others. "Well, are you coming or not?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Bronnis holds a chuckle in at the elf's cute impatience, stepping along behind her. Seff looks up at him with a curious look that the man returns with a short nod. "Been a while since we've been to the Hold," he says out loud to nobody in particular, as he keeps his eyes around him to take in the sights.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

Matthias nods to the guards as he moves past them, rolling his eyes in Tess' direction with an exasperated sigh. Once inside the gates, he glances around like Bronnis, taking in the city. Impressive as it is, I wish this place were quieter. Even that old tavern is preferable to the noise of a city.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"No, I thought I'd just stand here for a good hour. Yes I'm coming!" Katarina says with a smirk. Absorbing the sights around her, she thinks, It's good to be in a real city again, though I'd much rather prefer Red Bridge. "I assume we're not staying long in town," she adds. Though staying in an inn tonight rather than in a tent would be sublime.
Zeroth

Post by Zeroth »

As Tristan followed the rest into the city, he paused for a moment, mulling over the guard's words. Finally, he asked:

"If the gates are normally closed, sir, does that mean that the city expects to be under attack soon?"

Ser Jorran had already warned them about the borderlands, but if this conflict between the lords was this close already, Tristan certainly didn't want to be in the crossfire.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Elmar slowly follows after the group, keeping his head down and looking about carefully. His thoughts are on the guards as well, wondering how long until a full out skirmish would be occurring here.
Those guards are likely watching for scouts more than anything. Spies perhaps, employed by the two families to watch each other in preparation. Though, this is all stuff to the side. We are here for the mound, nothing else, save perhaps offering our services if we deem the risk and honor sufficiently balanced enough.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Not really, just a precaution more than anything. If the fighting gets this far into The Hollow, then the war won't be going very well. Not that they'd be able to take the Hold. No one ever has," the guardsman says to Tristan, looking up to the colossal castle at its mention.

Karvik, Locke, and Alessa follow Tess and the others through the gates and into the city. "I'll meet up with you tomorrow. I'm going to go find some company for the night," Karvik says, tapping his coin purse with a smile.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"The night?" Tess asks, a bit shocked by the man's lack of endurance. "We've only been walking a few hours, we shouldn't be stopping already." She turns to the others to gauge their opinions on the subject, before quickly adding in, "I'm sure you can find someone in a town further down the road, and if not you could always toss me some coin for my time."
Zeroth

Post by Zeroth »

"I see. Good to hear." Tristan replied to the guard. He hesitated a moment, before asking the next question on his mind. "...Have all the Hollow's bannermen been called to this war?"

The thought of his father being called to the battlefield worried the young noble. Lord Ansel spent more time attending to financial affairs than training in the arts of war now, and was not as young as he had once been. If Tristan had been home, he would have had to go in his father's place; not something he wanted to do either, to be sure. But what if something happened? What if he never got to make amends with his father? Tristan's eyes drifted down to his boots as he chewed his lip.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I'd take up the offer, if you don't mind me owin' you some coin," Bronnis says to Karvik with a laugh as he pats his coinpurse heartily, emitting a thump and not a jungle. Seff turns to sniff at his master, confused by the gesture. The man cocks his head over to the elvish woman. "The same proposition goes for you, Teharissa," he jests with biting snark. "But on a serious note, we've hardly gone a dozen miles or so. You lot quittin' already? Sounds like the Hollowguard's gone soft since I last heard about it."
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

At Tess' offer, and Bronnis' own use of her actual name, Elmar actually smiles and speaks up.
"I would not take her on that offer Bronnis. The last man who did found himself short a few shiny trinkets... Of course, Teharissa could tell you all about that. Though, we should at the very least rest for a time and gather further information towards the mound. Given the proximity, that is..."

He starts to stumble over his words and go quiet again as he retreats into his own head, feeling he may have overstepped.
Perhaps I have said too much. Teharissa is a good girl, if a bit flirtatious and bold... Especially for an elf... Perhaps it has to do with her past life, but I should not be divulging such things to simply anyone after all. Despite her... annoyances and distractions, she is skilled in what she does. I must be more careful not to upset her in the future, if I wish to remain in her good graces. It would not do to find a number of my books missing out of spite...
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Tess instinctively wrinkles her nose at Bronnis' proposition, a frown accompanying her reactionary look of irritation as he once more calls her by her full name. Her indignation only increases as Elmar speaks up, using the same form as the disgusting wolf man. "It's just Tess," she corrects, her tone of voice betraying her annoyance at the situation.

I may sleep around, but I still have standards, she thinks, looking the man over and remembering the smell. No one who likes a beast that much has any place in my bed. "I doubt he even has anything I'd want," she remarks in response to her fellow elf. "I take pretty things, and he looks like he doesn't even have the basics to spare."

As the topic turns more to their plans, and less on who will be sleeping with who, she is relieved to put the thought of the wolf man trying to seduce her out of her head. "What proximity do you mean, exactly? We are still days away, we aren't even in the Spear. I doubt anyone here knows about the mound, let alone cares. Stop being lazy bums and let's go!"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"You know, Elmar, maybe you should stick to keeping quiet like normal if you want to say something like that," Katarina says, defending her friend. It's hard to leave the bitter pasts behind when others create constant reminders. As the conversation turns back towards the day's travel, Kat says, "So are we leaving then? It's still a beautiful day, so let's get a move on if we are. Otherwise I'll take a nice, long nap in the sun."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Bronnis chuckles at Tess's verbal jab, not taking offense to it. "I've been called worse things by worse people, y'know," he says cheerfully to Elmar, enjoying the dark banter between the group so far. Seff peers up at him with dark eyes and the man gives him a rough scratch under his muzzle. "I think she's interested in me," he says aloud to his canine companion, his words returned by a blank stare.

"Put it to a vote, methinks." Bronnis says in regards to wanting to leave. "Three yeas from meself and those two," he says, pointing toward Katarina and Tess. "Karvik's got other ideas. Who else?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I think all of them, although I'm not sure," the guardsman says to Tristan. "It'll probably still be a few more days before they're all assembled though."

"It would appear I'm out numbered..." Karvik says grumpily.
Zeroth

Post by Zeroth »

"I see. Thank you, good sir."

Tristan turned away from the guard, his expression still troubled. So his father would likely be going to battle soon...How soon? Should he send a letter? What would he even write? He shook his head and sighed as the others discussed their next move.

"...Perhaps we could pool our funds and afford a cart, with a horse or two? It would speed things up greatly..." he suggested. If their destination was so far away, by the time they walked there and back, several battles might be over and done with...and his father could be in any one of them.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I don't have much to contribute, maybe on the way back we could?" Tess suggests. She has mixed feelings about the idea. Walking is nice, but a cart would be faster. Though I doubt he cares about the speed, we already knows he just wants to get out of walking.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"A cart and horses would just be another thing we'd have to look after, so it doesn't seem quite viable to me," Katarina says rather bluntly. "What would we do with it with doing a job? Put it in a stable? That'd cost more coin, as would hay for the creature." After a moment, she adds, "But if you want one so badly, buy it yourself. I'm sure you have the funds if you can afford to dress like that."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Seff gets a bit edgy around other beasts," Bronnis admits. His hound looks up at him at the mentioning of his name, so the man reaches down and gives him a hearty, affectionate set of pats on his side. "I don't mind bein' on foot. It's what I've done me whole life."
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Elmar nods as everyone feels moving on foot is better.
"Animals can be ill-tempered. It may be more trouble than it's worth to ride than to walk."

He watches as everyone seems to treat the young noble as if he were an outsider and ponders the irony of this situation.
Usually, it is the elves who are treated as outsiders. Yet here, the elves have turned it onto the nobles. How... Funny this is. I never thought I would see the day where having a family of good lineage would lead to one being ostracized as such.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"A moment of rest would be welcome, as my armor is hot and heavy." Matthias says, breathing slightly labored from the trek up the hill. "But I can persevere if the rest wish to continue on. And yes, the cart is a bad idea, though once again I would welcome such a thing."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Well it's only a bad idea because we don't have any money," Tess responds, not exactly opposed to the cart, but merely the timing. "If this job pays well we could buy one. I am sure it would make getting food back to the Hall from town easier. We can just make Jorran pay us back, and pay for the horse's feed."

She continues on down the road as she talks, not eager to stop so soon. "We should keep moving, though. The longer we stick around here, the less time until we get paid."
Zeroth

Post by Zeroth »

"Alright, alright." Tristan said, waving a hand to ward off the combined rejection of the others. This was the probably the most involved some of them had been in a discussion since he had met them. He frowned down at the ground and kept walking, keeping pace with the others as he worried about his father.

If Lord Ansel had known another conflict was coming, couldn't he have just sent Tristan to join the army in his place? Why kick him out on the streets with nothing to his name? He could have made himself "a man of worth," in his father's words, just as easily in the military. Yet here he was with a band of smelly sellswords, with Lord Ansel, aged and out of practice, headed for the battlefield.

Unconsciously he picked up his pace, soon moving towards the front of the group, his forehead wrinkled in thought.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The company, more or less in agreement, make their way through the town, circling the castle towering above them. "This place held out under siege for over two years. It'll take a miracle for the Aerden's to take it," Locke says aloud to anyone listening at one point on the journey. Eventually they reach the South Gate and are back out onto the open road, the guards more concerned with people entering the city rather than leaving.

The party continues walking and manages another ten miles before the topic of making camp for the night comes up. With the silhouette of Darden's Hold still on the horizon, short watches are assigned to individuals rather than groups and the night passes uneventfully. Late in the afternoon the next day, after passing the road to Eranor, the wind swept plains of The Hollow, begin to give way to more vegetation and the ground becomes noticeably muddier. "I hate this bloody swamp," Karvik says, kicking a small plant growing in the middle of the road. "There's nothing good in Sorrow's Marsh. Everything, including the swamp itself, is out to kill you. Even the whores in my experience."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Are you still talking?" Katarina says to Karvik, somewhat annoyed at the man's complaints. "If you hate this so much, why not take a trip up to the Great Swamp up north? That'll really make you appreciate what you've got," Kat says with a smirk.

Taking note of the muddier terrain, she adds, "This is another reason why a cart and horses wouldn't exactly be good. Mud everywhere."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Tess is mildly interested by Locke's historical anecdote, though less so by the modern politics he relates it to. "You should visit Serran," Tess chimes in at Karvik's complaints. "If you think mud is bad, try sand. At least here there is a set path through the marsh. The desert sands shift endlessly, and there are legends of great worms that burrow through it and devour those unlucky enough to cross their paths, and that is not to mention all the known creatures that dwell there, or the many bandit clans that call it home. I'd take this silly 'Sorrow' Marsh over that any day."

She continues to march, enjoying the sights. It's so interesting, way different than anything up north. I wonder what creatures dwell in the wetlands down here? "Does anyone know if there is a nearby town to where we are now?" Tess asks after a few more moments. "Sleeping in this muck is probably not the best idea." How disgusting would that be? Walking through it is one thing, but laying in it? Gross!
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I'd take a bit of sun over slowly rotting in shit," Karvik says still grumbling.
"I think there's an inn we should reach around nightfall. It's been a while since I've travelled this way though," Alessa says to Tess, ignoring Karvik.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Ah, the Serran Desert," Bronnis regales after Tess's words. "I'll take the sand anyday over this muck," he says, disagreeing with her. "Spent plenty of years in those lands, in and out of work. The cities that aren't smashed to bits are damn near the prettiest places I've seen. The sandstorms ain't an issue if you've got the right gear and the right people. As for the creatures there, that's another story," the wanderer notes.

"The inn sounds fine -- let's get there before sundown." The man looks down at his hound who seems to be trudging along just fine, sniffing at the strange scents of the marshy area.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"At least the mud will mostly only get on your shoes. Sand gets everywhere though," Kat says.

"Anyways, the faster we get a move on, the faster we'll be out of this swamp and in a nice, cozy inn. And I don't know about you, but after a long day of walking, a comfortable bed inside sounds heavenly," she adds, eagerly awaiting the inn.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I don't know how comfortable we can expect an inn in this region to be, but either way it will be nice to sleep on something solid rather than this muddy ground. I'd rather not get mud in my hair, or on my clothes." Tess continues to take in the sights as she walks, quite intrigued by the landscape. How odd that people decided to live in this place permanently. I wonder what they found here that was worth it?
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"Getting out of the swamp would be nice. This is more tiring than listening to Tess and Katrina bicker." Matthias grumbles, out of breath from the trudging through mud, in armor no less. Maybe someday there will be plate armor that doesn't weigh a hundred pounds.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Elmar lifts his foot up while the rest talk, examining it before continuing his silent trudge through the mud, not complaining out loud.
This mud will cling to my feet for some time while wet, but if it were to dry, I could knock it off with a bit of blunt force, perhaps against the ground or each other. I will need to spend some time with a knife or perhaps something flat to scrape off what I cannot shake off, but that is no major distraction. I should be grateful, fighting in this mud would not be a fun prospect. Though I may be at an advantage with my bow, the others with their blades may find themselves in a rocky situation... Perhaps I'll suggest training in the swamp to Ser Jorran when we return. It is best to be prepared... Though, with everyone else's attitude, maybe I shall make it anonymous. I draw enough ire already from Teharissa as is without asking to drag her through the mud.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Oh please. The only thing tiring is listening to you complain," Katarina says with a smirk. "Maybe you and Karvik should take the rear to whine together."
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"You try lugging this much armour through the muck." Matthias retorts, a momentary irritation surfacing in his eyes before being squashed out as he continues to trudge through the muck. "Not a simple task."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"No one makes you fight in armor, you know," Tess chides. "I do just fine without it. Want some pointers?" She gives the man a wink before turning back to face the road, continuing to march on. He is taking this whole 'stick in the mud' thing a bit too literally, probably best we get to dryer ground before he sinks into the muck.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"You need to get some leathers, priest," Bronnis says to Matthias as he stares at the man's heavy armor. "How can you even fight in that stuff? Don't you feel like a statue?" he asks him, curious and skeptical.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"This is what I was brought up in, and what I feel most comfortable in," Matthias retorts. "Much like you are used to your styles of fighting, the same applies to myself."

Lapsing back into silence, he trudges on, determined to not give Tess any more reason to attempt mocking him.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"You sure complain a lot about it, even if your armor is heritage," Bronnis notes, with a smirk. "If you ain't gonna stick to the basics and wear lighter armor, then grin n' bear the heat and weight. But I guess I can see your point that you've grown to fight well in it. All the more reason to get out of this wretched swamp and find ourselves a nice, warm spot next to a hearth," he says.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The party continues on through the wetlands as the sun eventually disappears behind the vegetation. The sounds of unknown wildlife echo into the night as the light of the moon fails to penetrate the bushes. The orange glow of torches soon comes into view, lighting up a large wooden building off the road, raised up on a wooden board walk. Approaching, the sound of voices and laughter can be heard.

Stepping up onto the board walk, the sign becomes visible. "The Feral Dog..." Alessa reads. "Well I didn't claim it was the most respectable of establishments."
"My kind of place," Karvik says stepping towards the entrance. The door suddenly bursts open and out spill two men who tumble off the board walk and into the dirt, brawling each other the whole way down.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Well this place looks fun. I haven't seen a brawl in ages! Tess walks towards the tavern with gusto, ready for a fun and entertaining evening among whatever low lifes make the place their drink of choice. Hopefully their drinks are more appealing than the surroundings would suggest. She makes her way through the now open door after Karvik, anxious to see the interior.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Well, I wouldn't call this the lap of luxury, but it beats sleeping in the swamp muck," Katarina says as they arrive at the inn. Though the patrons certainly aren't that of my social standing. Whatever, at least the night's entertainment will be provided. Taking not of how popular the establishment seems to be, she adds, "Hopefully it'll have enough rooms for all of us."