The Quest For The Rose IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: The Quest For The Rose IC

Post by Namelessjake »

The man floats about 5 feet up into the air, much to the delight of the rest of the inn.
kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by kalis5 »

Edward was about to walk over, absolutely disgusted by how clearly out of it this man's drinking has gotten him, when he starts to rise off the floor before Edwards eyes. As the man floats, he watches, before coughing once.
"Um... Excuse me, Basil, how will this wake him?... In fact, this might make it harder as we no longer have any real impact on him anymore."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Basil marvels at the sight of the man, and the sounds of the inn's patrons. Glad I could help with tonight's entertainment. I don't use that dust enough! At Edward's comment, he says, "Oh, we'll make a real impact alright. Just have to wait for the dust to wear off! It doesn't last forever, ya know."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

After a few moments, the pixie dust wears off and the man falls to the floor. He lands on his chair which immediately breaks, leaving the man sprawled across the floor on a pile of wood. "You're paying for that chair," the Bartender says, before going back to cleaning glasses. Meanwhile the man on the floor lets out another loud snore.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Frustrated and yet slightly amused, Ser Bresda turns around to the man at the other table who had spoken. "What manner of sorcery is this? I've never seen a blundering idiot sleep through such acts. Has he been the subject of a sleeping spell?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"He's known to sleep rather heavily when he's been drinking. So almost all the time really," the man replies to Bresda. "What do you knightly folks want with him anyway?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Heard he's got some information on the beast that is plaguing the village. Perhaps you can be of more help to us than him," Ser Bresda says, glancing back at the snoring man with a sorrowful look. I've known plenty a man who've gone to the ale and never quite came back, he thinks, disappointedly.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Ah that..." the man says. "It's crazy how the whole town is hiding away. It's a load of rubbish if you ask me. At least there's always a free table here now. If you believe the rumours, a kick in the stomach usually wakes him up."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Rubbish or not, it could be related to the assassinations. Thanks," Ser Bresda says to the man, stepping over to Girart on the floor. Raising his leather boot from the floor, he puts moderate force behind into a kick to the man's stomach. Don't want to hurt him, but if that's the only way to wake him, so be it.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The man on the floor grunts as Ser Bresda's foot connects. "Ow!" He groans slightly as he opens his eyes and sits up. "Why am I wet?"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Lorelai is shocked when the man doesn't wake from her slap, and even more shocked as he proceeds to sleep through the abuse of all of the others as well. What is wrong with him? This can't be healthy. She feels bad for slapping him, and even worse for all the other things done to him all in hopes of waking him up merely to question him, but doesn't speak up.

When he finally comes to, the knight sighs in relief and smiles, hoping to come across as polite as possible to the understandably-annoyed man. "We just wanted to ask you some questions, but you seem to be a really heavy sleeper," she responds to the question, offering him a hand to help him off the ground.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Heavy sleeper is an understatement," the fairy ambassador says. "Rising several feet into the air and then slamming back into the ground without waking once. I've never seen anything like it!" He lets out a light chuckle, recounting the situation just moments before. "But anyways, yes. We have come to ask the beast you claimed to have seen."
PureZaros
The Enigma
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by PureZaros »

"That would be the result of water. It generally does make things wet." Mazera says, slightly irritated that it took so much effort to wake this Girart. "Why are you passed out at this hour? Can you not hold your ale that you would collapse only partway through the afternoon?"
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I wouldn't say I'm a really heavy sleeper," the man says to Lorelai. "I could drink you under the table old man," he says to Mazera, slightly angryly. "You people monster hunters or something?"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Of a sort," Lorelai responds, when asked if they are monster hunters. "In any case, we'd like to hunt this one. Or at least learn more about it, which is why we are talking to you."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"It doesn't exactly take a monster hunter to be interested in a creature that's scaring an entire town, especially a town that's usually filled with life," the fairy says. "And we heard that you've seen it, or at least had some sort of experience with it. Care to describe it?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"You should not drink so much," Ser Bresda advises. "You might sleep through a major disaster. Like a violent beast ravaging the town," he chides, his eyes narrowed at Girart. "Tell us what you know or have seen about it, and we'll leave you to your drink."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I haven't technically seen it. I've seen it's tracks though, they were three toed and about this big," Girart says, holding his hands about 3 feet apart. "And it looked like it walked on two legs."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Lorelai's eyes widen at the thought of such a massive beast, having never heard tales of any creatures so large roaming Amaranthia. Violent wolves are dangerous enough, but a giant terrorizing this poor city? How will we stop something like that? "You do not exaggerate its size, do you?" shes asks the man, a bit skeptical of the claim. "Could you show us these tracks?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Ser Bresda raises an eyebrow. "Surely an exaggeration, but you should show us yourself," he says, unsure about what to think. I knew that the balance of nature was upset, but not this bad, the scout-commander thinks to himself.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I remember the size," Girart says to Lorelai. "I can take you to where I found them if you want. Although it's rained since then so they're probably gone now."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Well, if it's really as big of a creature as you claim it to be, then hopefully the print is deep enough to survive a little rain," Basil says. "Though if it was a downpour, then we're likely out of luck unless that creature has made any more prints recently."
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"Even if the tracks are no longer there, the location you found them is useful information as well." Mazera says, frowning slightly in thought. What could have made tracks that size?
MECHANICS
[SHOW]
History Check: 6
Nature Check: 17

Trying to determine if I know anything based on the description of the shape and size of this thing's feet.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

"If there is at least a chance of tracking down the creature, we should look into it. Now come on, there is no use sitting in a puddle of water, now is there?"
Edward crosses his arms at the man, wondering if he doesn't just want to sleep more.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Ale," Girart says, correcting Edward before standing up. "I suppose we should get going while there's still some light," he adds starting to make for the door, however he finds his path blocked by the bartender. "Someone is paying for that chair," he says, reiterating what he said earlier.
Mazera
[SHOW]
The description is too vague for you to work out what it might be.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Surely you can afford to cover this, right?" Lorelai says, turning to Edward and Evaline. We did sort of break it. At least the little fairy did. No use making a fuss about paying for damage we caused.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"Come now, Ser Lorelai. Don't push this kind of thing on them." Mazera says, taking out his money pouch. "Much as it should be Basil here making reparations, I will take care of it this time. A gold piece should suffice for the chair, yes?" he continues, directing his question to the bartender.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

The Bartender snatches the coin from Mazera and returns to his bar with a grunt."Well then shall we?" Girart says, leading the party out of the inn. Girart leads you through the town and towards the river. "The Weeping River is barely ankle deep here," he says as you begin to cross, Torrenford lacking a bridge of any description. The other side of the river is less populated, with a few farms buildings being the only sign of civilisation. Girart leads you past a field and towards the edge of a small wooded area. "The tracks was around here somewhere. And the beast killed some folks over on that farm a couple of days ago," he says pointing to a farm a couple of fields over.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"We will have to speak with the survivors later, to glean any first-hand accounts of the beast," Ser Bresda suggests. "But first, the tracks." He breaks from the group, stooping low to the ground to look for any tread soil or broken foliage that would indicate a large beast.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Nature and Perception rolls to keep an eye out for tracks or other indicators of the beast:

Nature, Perception: 20(1d20) +8 = 28; 16(1d20) +10 = 26
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Lorelai frowns at Mazera's words, but doesn't speak up. They are royalty, I'm sure they could have afforded it. She follows silently as the man leads them to the river, and watches curiously as Bresda searches the area. I should get him to teach me this skill, it will probably come in handy once I'm done with this task.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Bresda
[SHOW]
After some hunting you spot a series of tracks near the edge of the tree line, appearing to disappear into the woods. They're light, likely due to the rain, and about 3 feet long as Girart described. However on closer inspection you notice there are 5 toes instead of 3, just the ones on either side are a lot smaller than the 3 large toes in the centre. The beast's toes also appears to be clawed.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Over here!" Ser Bresda calls, beckoning the others toward his discovery. He stoops low to the ground as they crowd around, his gloved hand running along the matted plants and soil indicating the footprint. "These are obviously quite massive, and they've five digits, not three. See here. Clawed, too, it seems. Can't quite tell if it is a beast of the fur, the scale, or even the feather."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Well, whatever it is, it must be large to make tracks that big. Maybe the creature has also had its livelihood tampered with, much like the wolves, so it's out of its natural habitat," Basil says, wondering what monstrous animal is wrecking havoc on the town's denizens.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Nature to try and see what creature it is: 11(1d20) +6 = 17

History to remember hearing anything about something with this description: 4(1d20) +6 = 10
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Basil
[SHOW]
You fail to discern more than Ser Bresda did from the tracks.
Bresda
[SHOW]
You spot a small tuft of black fur caught on the a bush close to the edge of the tree line. (because I'm dumb and didn't see you check was for other indicators as well)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Ah," the scout-commander grunts, kneeling and pulling up a piece of dark fur from a nearby bush. "Looks to be a beast of the fur. Perhaps an overgrown canid." Bresda shivers at the thought. Could we even bring down something that big? It worries me to even consider it.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I'm sure it'll still bleed," Evaline says to Ser Bresda, tapping the hilt of her sword. "Assuming we're planning on killing this thing before we keep travelling, what's the plan? Try and track it or camp out and hope it shows up again?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Canids have four toes, so I don't think it's another wolf or something," Basil says as Bresda examines the fur. "Perhaps it's a large bear instead."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Most likely an ursid, yes..." Ser Bresda says, turning toward the faerie. "I was thinking the same thing. Have you seen anything like this, Ambassador Basil? Perhaps it is the Rose that has acted on this creature."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

A large... bear? Are they not already large enough? I've never even seen a regular bear, how I am expected to face off against a giant one...? Lorelai does her best to hide her distress, but the situation is quite unnerving. "It would probably be safer just to camp near the town and wait for it. Getting lost in the woods - its home - would just leave us at even more of a disadvantage than we already are."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I'm afraid I haven't, or perhaps I have but just don't recall," Basil replies to Bresda. "It's not hard for little bits of knowledge like this to slip out after living for so long. But whatever it might be, caution is a must, especially given its size."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Still, we must find this creature. If it is at all related to the Rose being pilfered, then we must deal with it. Prince Edward, what do you suggest we do?" Ser Bresda asks, turning toward the king-to-be. He's got a sharp mind, if unexperienced. Best remedy for that is throwing him into the mix of things.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Edward looks at the tracks as he ponders the discussion so far.
"Perhaps this beast is the... Er... Apex? Predator? Forgive me, but my vocabulary is limited when it comes to nature. What I mean to say is that this beast is the strongest in the region. Perhaps this is why the wolves struck at us on the trail? It has been hunting the live game in the region to the point of starving the wolves? If such is the case, we cannot leave it be, sadly. And if it is connected to the Rose in some way, I am afraid we have no choice but to try our luck. We will forever be behind the assassins if we cannot find some shred of who they may be. But... Let us improve our chances somewhat. Perhaps we should bait a trap in the woods and wait amongst the trees? It may be tempted by the smell of fresh food if the forest is nearly emptied."
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"An excellent idea, my liege. I should think something small and helpless should do the trick. Perhaps a fairy?" He says, mischievously looking to Basil. "The ambassador probably has the highest chances of success."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"You're not really going to make him, are you?" Lorelai says, looking worried at the thought of her new friend being used to lure out a gigantic beast. That's just cruel, he's so small and helpless. What if he gets eaten? This is horrible!
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"It seems you don't know the meaning of helpless," Basil says in response to Mazera. "You're the old man that stayed in the sky for most of that fight with those wolves, not me. Maybe you ought to be the bait. You could just flee as before." It's a shame that his advanced age has skewed his thoughts. "Or we could do the civilized and mature thing, and use a non-sentient creature," the fairy adds, a bit annoyed at Mazera's attempted joke.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Edward sighs at Mazera and Basil, wondering when this started occuring...
I cannot believe they are treating this with such flippancy. This creature is decimating the nearby wildlife. Soon, these villagers might be the next things it strikes again.
He walks over to Lorelai and pats her shoulder.
"We are not using Basil. Though, perhaps a rabbit, or a small animal of the like. I would suggest finding larger game, but... The beast may have already hunted those to near non-existence. Though, perhaps we can also trap it, with some sort of substance to slow the creature?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"All creatures are sentient, Ambassador," Ser Bresda says to the faerie. "It's just a question of whether or not our society deems their souls as valuable as that of a human. But that is a discussion for another time." He turns back to Prince Edward. "A trap will be feasible... Perhaps the Magister can conjure a trick of scent and imagery to lure this beast in," the scout-commander suggests, looking at Mazera.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"If we're going to trap it we should consider where we'll set the trap too," Evaline say, knowing little of trapping animals but thinking it is a good idea. "Giriat did say it killed a family on a farm nearby. Maybe we should set our trap near the town or another farm as it could be encroaching on the town. Or perhaps we could try and find more tracks and an area where it travels a lot," she adds, offering up a couple of suggestions.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"But do we really want to lure it to more people?" Lorelai asks, a bit worried at the thought. "What if we cannot handle it, and we cause more deaths? We should try to lure it away, if anything."
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"I think a more pressing question is what would we use to lure such a large creature?" Mazera says, stroking his beard. "Perhaps we could talk to the locals and ask if the creature has been targeting anything in particular."