Amongst the Flames — IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
ratwizard
A Wan Smile
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Amongst the Flames IC

Post by ratwizard »

"Stables, an inn, a hot meal," Shira'stasa repeats. "It's been some time since I lived here, but I visit my mother occasionally. I know of a few places."

The woman bites her lip, staring out at the throngs of people still around the roads. My mother... I will need to search for her again now that I have some time. It is unlike her to be so elusive.

Mechanics
[SHOW]
Streetwise roll to find a good place to go to: 18(1d20) +1 = 19
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Amir perks up at the mention of resting for the night, excited beyond belief for a real bed. "A warm bed in an inn? I won't pass that up!" the dune raider says gleefully. "You wouldn't believe how uncomfortable cages are to sleep in, but I wouldn't recommend trying it for yourself." My back is about as stiff as a board. Gods I need this.

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Shirastasa
[SHOW]
You know of an inn with stables not too far from where you are now, called the The Topaz Sword. It's clientele tends to be quite respectable,
mostly officers from the legions stationed in Azkahir, but wealthy merchants and other tenants too.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"The Topaz Sword," Shira'stasa says suddenly, remembering the establishment. "I've stayed there before when visiting from Qedra. It isn't cheap, but it is worth the price you pay."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Are the beds as soft as the ones at the Library?" Cleo asks, perking up a bit at the promise of a nice place to stay. I never even got to sleep in my chambers at the Temple of Sek-bas, I can only hope this is just as good.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Shira'stasa frowns in thought. "I can't recall," the Tenant admits. "Though I do know that the meals served are very well-made." She begins walking toward where she remembers the Topaz Sword being.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Amir beams as the elder tenant mentions a nearby inn, ecstatic at the prospect of a good night's sleep for once. "It sounds perfect. I think we all need a good rest in a quality inn after today," the dune-raider says, daydreaming of lavish pillows and a plush bed. "And it's been too long since I've had a decent meal!" he remarks, his mouth practically watering. I need a break of camp cooking at this point.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I agree," Cleo says, eager to sleep in any bed over the sandy ground they'd been in the past few days. Even if it is not as good as the Library, it can't be worse than the desert.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

You make your way through the city, with Shira'stasa leading the way. After a few minutes walking through the now busy streets, you reach the Topaz Sword, a large building with three floors with adjoining stables. An Elven stable hand is busy tending to the horses while what another well dressed man stands by the main entrance to the inn, greeting any new comers.

"Welcome to The Topaz Sword," the man by the door says as you draw near. "Ewyn, will tend to your horses," he says signalling to the Elf. "And we will have your things brought to your rooms. Assuming-"

A group of three men, dressed in the regalia of officers, stumble out of the doors to the inn, cutting through your conversation laughing and joking.

"Assuming you're staying the night. You do look like the you've been on the road some time," the man continues once the interruption has passed.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Your stableman may handle our horses, but we will bring our own things in," Shira'stasa says. I've had enough getting robbed or ambushed for a lifetime.

"And we have," the Tenant responds to his words. "Long journey, and a it isn't done. Can your people draw a bath for myself?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Too long," Cleo adds on to Shira'stasa's introduction, handing her pack to whatever servant is ready to take it, not as concerned about her items being stolen as her friend is. "I'll take a bath, too, please," she adds with a grin, the thought of the warm water making her giddy. I do hope they have enough for two. If not, then Shira'stasa better be ready to share.

"I assume you provide a meal?" the young Tenant asks, her excitement giving way to her practiced formality, which she'd had little reason to use of late. "What do you serve? And when can we expect it?" I'm sooo hungry, I could probably eat anything.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"So long that the road has felt like a cage trapping us," Amir remarks with a muted snicker, eyeing Ghaliya to see if she's smiled. "But I digress, room and board for the night would be a godsend, especially at an establishment as nice as this," he adds with a grin, eager to bury his face into a soft bed.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Ghaliya rolls her eyes at Amir, but flashes a small smile in the man's direction at the same time.

"Excellent," the man says as it appears the group has decided to stay. "Yes meal's are included, we offer a wide variety of only the best Serran Cuisine. I can have baths drawn for you all and some food brought to your rooms as soon as you're settled in. Everything comes at what I'm sure you'll agree is a very reasonable price of ten gold a night."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Right, we have to pay. So still not as good as the Library or a temple, but I guess it's worth it. Cleo fishes through her coinpurse and procures the ten gold pieces. She passes them off to the man with a polite, if forced, smile and turns to look between him and his servants. "So which way to my room? I'd looove to get into the bath and relax for a bit."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Lose 10gp

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Amir smirks as he catches his companion's reaction, glad the road hasn't worn all humor out of her. As the man lists the amenities, the dune-raider's grin widens, eager to enjoy the fine inn. "Ten gold is more than reasonable," he replies, digging ten gold pieces from his bag. "I'm looking forward to my stay already," the road-worn man beams.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Around where I remembered the price, Shira'stasa considers. Turning to her allies, "I suppose this is good night, then?"

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

One of the Blades grumbles a bit but pays up as does the rest of the group. Before parting ways with Shira'stasa and heading into the Inn.

Shirastasa
[SHOW]

You make your way back to your mother's and spend the night there however she is still no where to be seen.

Everyone Else
[SHOW]

You are treated to the service promised by the man outside the inn. The rest of the rooms in the inn are mostly taken up by Officers in the Rakhs army and you overhear several war stories being told from the Sack of Thesus and other battles in the war

The next morning you awake to the sound of the city coming alive with the city's markets opening for the morning and the streets filled with the sounds of people making the most of the cooler morning temperatures.

OOC
[SHOW]

As usual feel free to RP out your evening, make any rolls if you want to spend it gambling or gathering information etc.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Cleo quickly makes her way towards wherever the food can be found and enjoys a nice, home-cooked meal for the first time in days with great joy. This is quickly followed by a trip to the bath, where she stays for long enough the become pruney, conversing with whoever else is around should it be a communal bath, otherwise relaxing in silence.

After the bath the young Tenant retires to her room to sleep, but is kept up by the the talking coming through the thin walls. She is initially annoyed at the noise, debating whether to go say something or stay put. However, as she notices the words and their subject matter, she becomes curious and tries to listen in.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception to hear the stories: 5
Anything especially interesting or important said?

Regardless of her success the night prior, the girl awakens very groggily, having stayed up much later than intended and not getting nearly enough sleep. As the sun shines through her window she pulls a pillow over her head and attempts to return to her slumber, not wanting to get up to face the day.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

On the hunt for her mother, Shira'stasa waits for nightfall at her childhood home. This isn't like her. She grows anxious at the thoughts of what might have happened to her. She is too old and ill to travel, the Tenant considered, striking that from her list.

Eventually, sleep finds the woman and she wakes in the morning to an empty home. I have to search for her today.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Amir's eyes light up as he enters his bedroom, leaping onto the bed head-first and burying his face into the pillows. Oh, bed, it's been far too long. He sighs a relaxed breath, content with staying in this bed for the rest of his living days. This changes, however, as he catches a whiff of freshly-prepared cuisine comes his way. I don't think I've smelled such good food since being in Crescent Bluff.

As the food arrives in his room, he promptly scarfs it down, having grown weary of trail rations. Shortly after, he falls into a food-induced nap, awoken only by the boisterous sounds of the army men. Can't a man get some sleep? Rolling his eyes, he briefly tries to listen in through the walls. However, the weight of his eyelids proves too much and he rolls over back to sleep.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception to listen in on dem dudes: 17(1d20) +1 = 18

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Going out onto the street once more, Shira'stasa searches for a nearby guard barracks that might have information on her mother. At the very least, I will be able to give them a report that she is missing. This is very strange of her.

OOC
[SHOW]

What does Shira'stasa know about the guards barracks around? Here is a streetwise check to determine if she knows one closeby that might have a fix on street politics in the area. 12(1d20) +1 = 13

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]

While you listen in on conversations throughout the night, you fail to hear little more than small talk. With soldiers discussing the women they've slept with recently, the loot they've taken from recent battles, and their plans for spending their pay over the next few days.

Amir
[SHOW]

Listening in one the soldiers conversations you mostly hear soties of battle from Thesus and the others preceding it. However you overhear what you assume were officers discussing a resistance movement in Azkahir itself, still loyal to the Rakhul who have been killing guardsmen and soldiers.

After waking in the morning and getting ready you head downstairs to find Ghaliya, Geral, Khaled, and the two other Blades swapping stories of their mercenary work over breakfast.

Shirastasa
[SHOW]

You recall where the local barracks is although you forget what it's purpose is. While some in the city serve as bases for the town guard,
many of the barracks in the city exist solely to house the legions regularly stationed here.

You leave your mother's home and head to the barracks. After a short walk you turn the corner on the street of the barracks, however two armed men,
town guardsmen from their uniforms, stand before you blocking the way up the street.

Behind the two men, further up the road, you see a few more guardsen standing over three more guardsmen slumped against the wall of the barracks, the dusty street a dark red around them. Above the bodies on the wall someone has painted the Dynastic symbol of the Rakhul in what appears to be blood.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

After some time of unsuccessfully trying to fall back asleep, Cleo eventually gives into the day and drags herself out of bed. She slowly dresses and makes her way downstairs, still groggy and not ready to face the day. The sight and smell of the freshly-made breakfast causes her to perk up, however, and once it hits her she quickly makes her way to sit near Khaled and the newcomer.

After placing her order for food, Cleo listens in on the ongoing conversation, half-paying attention to the tales of mercenary work. When there is a lull she turns to Ghaliya and asks, "so how did you and that other guy end up getting locked up, anyway?" Being locked in a cage must have sucked.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I...What?" Shira'stasa stammers, her wide eyes taking in the scene before her. That's the Unbalik symbol. Was this the Rakhul's men? The Tenant turns to the two men guarding her path. "Did this just happen?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Amir listens with intent through the walls, overhearing the soldiers talking of men still loyal to the Rakhul in the city. I guess not everyone here is keen on treason. Who'd have thought? He listens for a few more minutes before falling back asleep.

Come morning, the treasure hunter awakens to the smell of breakfast, a hungry grin quickly shrouding his face. I wonder what kind of food they serve here. Must be good for the prices they charge. He makes his way downstairs, overhearing the small tenant's conversation with his companion. "That other guy's got a name, you know," he interjects with a smirk. "Anyways, we were kidnapped while out looking for treasure. Those bandits thought we knew about an artifact that grants eternal life or something. I don't really know for sure since I wasn't listening to them."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Sorry, I'm bad at names," Cleo says, as Amir joins the conversation. "What would make them think something like that? And is it true? That sounds fascinating!" And valuable! If that really existed I'm sure everyone would want to try. She perks up a bit as she impatiently awaits a response.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Well hopefully by the time we part ways, you'll know the name of Amir, treasure hunter extraordinaire," Amir replies to the girl, flashing a cocky smile. At Cleo's question, Amir shrugs, remarking, "I don't really know. Like I said, I wasn't really listening. Maybe Ghaliya heard more."

After a moment's thought, he adds, "Or maybe my reputation proceeds me, and they heard about our hunt for those swords. But I haven't read anything about them granting eternal life."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I didn't pay much attention to it either I'm afraid," Ghaliya says in reply to Amir. "I was a bit preoccupied making sure non of them got up the confidence to try laying their hands on me," she adds before taking a bite of her food.

"Maybe they thought we were someone else. There's a lot of hidden ruins out in the desert ripe for plundering. We're not the only people to make a living out of it."

Shirastasa
[SHOW]

"Last night," one of the men replies, spitting on the ground. "Fucking coward traitors. Killing good men in their sleep."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"And many of them are Tenants," Cleo adds, thinking back to her many colleagues that are little more than glorified treasure hunters. I'm sure it's incredibly lucrative, though not sure how much they actually care about the history.

"I can't say I've ever really dabbled in it until recently, but it sounds like an exciting line of work. And just think of all the lost history you can find in such ruins. Do you come across a lot of old texts!?" the girl asks excitedly, thinking back to their previous ruins excursion and the mostly uninteresting scrolls.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"That's... That's terrible." The Tenant looks past the guard blocking her way, her sad eyes locked on the slain men lying against the wall. Though this is only a fraction of what this warring with cost.

"Are you from this district? My mother has been missing from her home for a week. Maybe more. I was on my way here to meet with the guards about it," Shira'stasa admits, her eyes going between the man's and the corpses. "Can you help me? She is old. And sick. And if there are murderers afoot here in Azkahir, then I think I have much to worry about."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"It's definitely exciting, but also pretty dangerous sometimes," Amir says, as if to show off that he's braved deadly ruins. "Traps, scarabs, crumbling stone. And who knows what other evils could lie within?" The ancients just couldn't make it easy, could they?

At Cleo's comment about lost texts, Amir thinks for a moment before replying, "Well, I've seen some ruined and faded scrolls. Time under the sand isn't always kind to, well, anything." Hoping not to crush the girl's excitement, he adds, "But maybe I've missed intact ones. I've always preferred the artifacts anyways. And there are plenty of those!"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Sounds like everything we encountered in that ruin, Cleo thinks to herself, remembering their prior venture into the unknown. While somewhat scary, she did find the activity exciting and exhilarating. I could get used to exploring, though I could use without the statues coming to life again.

"Artifacts are fun, but I really love the ancient texts the most. It is fascinating the stuff you can learn, things long forgotten. Imagine rediscovering some old technology, or ancient magic, that no one knows about!" the girl says, more imagining how it could be than thinking back to actual experiences. Such a discovery would really make it easy to move up in the Library.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"How valuable is this old technology or ancient magic?" Ghaliya asks Cleo with a smile. "The artefacts are where the money is. Few people will pay for some old scraps of parchment, but there's plenty of people in Crescent Bluff with too much money who want to hang something on their wall to impress the guests at their next party."

Shirastasa
[SHOW]

"Don't you worry, we'll catch the murderers," the man replies.

"Chances are she's fine. Maybe a friend offered to care for her, being sick and all. If she served in the past there's a chance she's in the Veteran's hospital. The Rakh has implented a lot of new benefits for his soldiers, but he's also extended them to anyone who's ever served," He adds.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Shira'stasa's eyes light up at the guard's suggestion, then quickly dim. That must be where she is! But that must mean that she has fallen into worse conditions...

"Thank you," the Tenant offers. "Which way is the hospital?" she asks, hoping to get there before her allies notice her departure.

OOC
[SHOW]

Feel free to move me to or toward the hospital.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Who knows?" Cleo responds to the woman. "But if no one wants to buy it, that's just more for me. The wealthy are fools to ignore such things in favor of baubles and trinkets. A gilded dagger is far less impressive than a tome of powerful rituals, or a long lost manuscript, if you ask me." Besides, I can also ask dad for more money if I need it.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"The wealthy just want pretty ornaments to impress their friends," Amir replies to the text-obsessed girl. "But their need to prove their wealth keeps my coin purse full, so that's fine by me." He pats his bag of coins, jingling them briefly to emphasize his point. "And besides, they're willing to pay way more than tenants are, from my experience."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Maybe we should go into crime," Ghaliya jokes. "Those horses in the stables are loaded up with more coin than I've ever earned through being a hired sword."

Shirastasa
[SHOW]

The guard gives you directions although they are ultimately unnecessary as you quickly realise what building the man is describing. It's a large compound on the edge of the city's slums.

With your knowledge of the city you make it there in only a few minutes. Having walked past it many times before, thinking nothing of it previously, you notice it now has several banners draped down the walls bearing the symbol the new Rakh has chosen to represent himself.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Cleo shrugs at the comment by the newcomer and looks around for the food, anxious to get her fill for the morning. "A bit odd that Shira'stasa is not up yet. Do you know what room she was staying in? I should go wake her up." Weird she is still out. Normally she is the one waking me up.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Shira'stasa takes a deep breath and enters the hospital, wondering what state her mother is in. I wonder if the Rakh's agents have been in contact with her. Surely they wouldn't recruit her once again? A woman of her age and poor health.

Eyes bright and wide, she takes in her surroundings.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Amir shrugs at the young tenant's question, saying, "I have no idea. Maybe she's taking the chance to sleep in. Gods know we needed it." With his stomach growling, the treasure-hunter joins in looking for the inn's servants, who he expected to bring food shortly. "Would it be rude to not wait for her before eating?" Amir asks his companions, hoping for a "no" answer.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Sleeping in, eh? Well let's see how you like being woken up, Cleo thinks, smirking to herself at thought of ruining the sleep of her friend who so often is in the reverse position. "I doubt she'd mind, really," the young tenant replies. "And even so, I'd rather her be a bit annoyed than eat a cold breakfast. I'll go wake her up after we've finished eating if she hasn't come down already." She looks up towards the front of the house, anxiously awaiting the arrival of her own food as the others continue to eat.