The Lion and the Dragon IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

The Lion and the Dragon IC

Post by Fialova »

War is hell. Even when it is fought hundreds of miles away, the effects are felt everywhere. Food - already scarce before the war began - is hard to come by, and too expensive when it does. The roads aren't safe, most towns aren't even safe. The countryside is ravaged by violence and corpses litter roadsides, the soldiers too focused on their next move to bury their victims.

It has taken considerable effort on your part, but you've eventually managed to leave your village and make your way to the nearest city - Shan Da. You've heard rumors that there is coin to be made, food to be bought, if only you can make it there. You arrive to find this is partially true, and that many others have come seeking the same. Lucky for you, not all have your skills and expertise. You've not been in the city for long, and already an opportunity has presented itself. You are approached by a stranger...

Nanako
[SHOW]

The stranger is a man, he looks to be in his late 30s or early 40s. Though his hairline is receding, his substantial sideburns make up for the lack of hair on his head. He approaches you from the cart he is selling wares from. As you glance over you notice an odd assortment of knick knacks, things you wouldn't expect anyone to want to buy, let alone be able to afford in such trying times. Instruments, toys, small figurines, and other oddities litter the cart that he is now ignoring to approach you.

"My, what a lovely young woman you are. And such a serious look to you as well. You must be new to the city, hm? Oh, no, you needn't answer, it is clear in your face that all of this is fresh to you." He is pleasant, but he speaks like any merchant, something you've grown wary to in your short time in the city.

"I've an offer to make you. You seem the type of person who could help me out with a job. Not just anyone can help." Your mind can't help straying to thoughts of Mei and her ilk, and the man must see it in your eyes. "Oh no, it's nothing like that," he preemptively assures you. He lowers his voice a bit and continues. "I cannot speak much of it here, but I will describe in more detail when I am finished for the day. Meet me at the shore by the western docks around sunset. I am sure you can find your way."

OOC: feel free to roleplay whatever it is you spent the rest of the day doing, leading up to your arrival at the shore. If you try to talk more to the man he simply brushes you off or begins advertising some of his many wares, ignoring any attempts to get more information out of him.

Kekeng
[SHOW]

...or so you thought, as he made his way towards you. However, as he draws nearer his face becomes more familiar, your somewhat blurred vision becoming clearer. Once he is in front of you you are sure of his identity. You once stole a magical flute from him.

"I never thought I'd see that, again," the man says, glancing towards the flute in Kekeng's hands. You open your mouth to speak, but he holds up a hand to stop you. "I am not here to turn you in. I don't even want it back. At least, assuming you agree to the proposition I have for you," Quen Lu Tam continues. You open your mouth to speak once more but again he puts his hand up, so instead you nod.

"Good. But I cannot tell you about it right here, or right now," he says, more quietly this time. "You are going to meet me at the shore near the western docks at sunset. There I will go over my proposition in more detail." He begins to walk away, but turns back after a moment. "If you're not there I will be reclaiming that flute from you, with interest."

OOC: feel free to roleplay whatever it is you spent the rest of the day doing, leading up to your arrival at the shore. If you try to talk more to the man he simply brushes you off or begins advertising some of his many wares, ignoring any attempts to get more information out of him.

Satomi
[SHOW]

The stranger is a man, he looks to be in his late 30s or early 40s. Though his hairline is receding, his substantial sideburns make up for the lack of hair on his head. He approaches you from the cart he is selling wares from. As you glance over you notice an odd assortment of knick knacks, things you wouldn't expect anyone to want to buy, let alone be able to afford in such trying times. Instruments, toys, small figurines, and other oddities litter the cart that he is now ignoring to approach you.

As he draws near he holds out a hand. "Here," he says. You reach out, curious to see what it is a merchant could be handing out for free. He places a small item in your hand, and as he draws his arm back you see that it is a very small wooden carving of a horse. "You look like you could use it. I can see the trouble in your eyes," he says.

You want to protest, but he raises a hand to stop you. "It's alright, I don't ask for anything in return. You keep it, my gift to you. It's the least I can offer, after whatever it is you've endured." He gives a sympathetic smile before leaning a bit closer, speaking again in a lowered voice. "However, if you're looking for work I may have something you can help me with. Meet me at the shore by the western docks at sunset, I can speak more about it there."

Bao Tap Den
[SHOW]

The man gives you a small bow as he approaches, and looks up with a smile. "I doubt you remember me, but I remember you," he says, something you never thought you'd hear someone say so happily. "You're the reason I'm still alive, saved me from your master's wrath you did. Though you certainly claimed a good chunk of my wares. Took awhile to recover from that."

He sees you about to respond, but holds his hand up to stop you. "I didn't approach you asking for repayment, or to turn you in. But I've seen what you can do, you're quite formidable," he smirks. When he speaks again his voice is lower. "I've a job offer for you. Meet me by the shore near the western docks at sunset, I can give you more details there."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Re: The Lion and the Dragon IC

Post by Scratcherclaw »

As the man finishes his pseudo-sales pitch, Nanako isn't sure what to make of it. Still slightly wary of the man, she simply nods in response to his question, her eyes staring at his inquisitively. There's no harm in checking it out, even if it turns out to be too good to be true. Giving the man a polite bow, she bids him farewell, at least for now.

With a few hours to spare before sunset, Nana decides to see what the city has to offer. As if Owl itself is calling to her, she elects to trying to find a library or perhaps a bookstore. What better way to kill a few hours than reading a bit?

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Streetwise to find a library/bookstore: 12(1d20) +6 = 18

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Nanako
[SHOW]

You have to wander quite a ways from the man to find any place selling reading material, but you do eventually find your way to a scroll shop. It is a quiet little shop tucked between some houses down a side street, and you are the only customer when you enter.

Inside there is a small old man sitting by himself on a cushion on the floor, leaning against the wall facing the doorway. He watches you enter but does not speak or otherwise acknowledge your presence. You notice him take a puff from a pipe, the smoke wafting into the air above his head. The strong odor eventually makes its way to your nose, and you realize it as being just a stronger version of the faint odor that had permeated the room since your arrival.

As you look around, you realize that most of the scrolls are old and dusty. Only a few seem to have been touched anytime recently, and most of those are more towards the entrance and easily accessible. The rest seem to have been ignored for a long time.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng watches with a passing tremor of surprise as Quen Lu leaves the man. Shaking off his worry, he palms the jug at his waist, pursing his lips in thought. Suppose it wasn't going to be too long before he found me, Kekeng considers. Though how he thinks he can take this from me, I'm hardly sure. I escaped him once, I can escape him again. Still, maybe I can make some coin. Hardly a surprise that I'm broke again. He turns the pocket of his trousers inside-out, watching as nothing but some fibers from the lining fall out.

Looking up at the sun, Kekeng wonders how long he will have to kill time for before the meeting. No coin, no food, but at least I got you, he thinks, taking a drag of rice wine from one of his jugs.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

What time is it?

OOC
[SHOW]

Just a reminder to both of us that Kekeng does not know Quen Lu Tam's backstory, and isn't aware of the inherent danger the man might be to him.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Nanako breathes a sigh of relief as she finally comes across a scroll shop. You'd think a city this size would have more stores like this. But I guess people put knowledge on the back shelf in times like this. Entering the store, she isn't surprised to find it empty, save the sole shopkeeper. Maybe he'd get more business if he quit smoking, she muses to herself as she steps further into the store.

Glancing around and noting the collection, she's disappointed to see so many of the scrolls covered in dust, having too long been forgotten by the store's visitors. She, however, grows excited at the prospect of discovering the abandoned knowledge that lies before her. Now let's see what we can learn, she thinks, picking up a random scroll and dusting it off.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

What kind of scroll does she discover?

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by Slashstick »

Bao Tap Den’s heart was still pounding in his chest. He knew the day would come when someone from his former life would recognize him. He just didn’t expect to be discovered so soon. Bao Tap Den’s instinct was to kill the man or simply run. Experience cooled his blood by telling him to get further information. If he didn’t like what he found out, then he could always run for it.

Bao Tap Den was already aware of the major exits from the city. When he first arrived, he made sure to observe the city and those that entered before doing so himself. The only entrances he hadn’t scouted were the docks.

Bao Tap Den instinctively chose to follow the mysterious man. He needed more information on this person before meeting him at sunset. No detail would be too small; dominant hand, old injuries, social skills, accent etc. Bao Tap Den made sure to keep to the shadows while never losing his target. He might have tried following him from the rooftops, but Bao Tap Den was too unfamiliar with the city to keep an elevated presence unknown in broad daylight; not to mention that his fleet feet were unaccustomed to the steep, fragile and noisy roofing material that most of the people preferred. He did make sure to check behind and above himself for anyone that might be following him.

After following the mysterious man for a while, Bao Tap Den left to scout the meeting spot. He kept his eyes open for suspicious people, hide-aways, and possible escape routes. Once satisfied with his reconnaissance, Bao Tap Den found an elevated spot between two shops to wait until sunset.

The sun was half-way gone before Bao Tap Den spotted the mysterious man. He continued to watch his quarry from above to make sure it was him. His former group of bandits had been deceived once during a raid. They launched a surprise attack on what appeared to be a usual trade caravan with thick, covered wagons. The bandits found to their dismay that the wagons were carrying a mixture of guards and mercenaries from a nearby village. Not all the bandits left with their lives that day. The ones that were captured were found executed just outside of the nearby village. Bao Tap Den would not make a similar mistake.

The man displayed the same behavioral patterns Bao Tap Den had observed earlier. The stranger also didn’t appear nervous or warry. Bao Tap Den decided it was worth the risk to learn about how this man knew him and anyone else that shared his secret.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Kekeng
[SHOW]

The guy can have talked to you at any normal daylight hour, that part doesn't matter too much. Just use whatever fits your narrative best.

Nanako
[SHOW]

As you open the scroll and begin to read its contents you notice that it is an account of the founding of Shan Da. However, the more of it you read the less you are sure if this is an actual historical account or fictional interpretation of the events.

Bao Tap Den
[SHOW]

It takes little effort to follow the man. Most of the day he is at his stall, peddling wares and chatting with passersby. From a distance you are not able to hear his conversations, as the area has plenty of others speaking as well, though you can often get a good line of sight. Nothing seems out of the ordinary about his day-to-day.

When he leaves at the end of the day he takes his cart to a building and unloads its contents. Perhaps it is his house, or a warehouse of some sort, you are not able to tell from your angle at that location. Eventually you follow him to the docks, and see how he makes his way to the shore. It is far enough away that you can only vaguely tell it is him in the distance (from the roofs), and certainly cannot hear him. There is no way to approach unnoticed from any direction.

OOC: As before, feel free to RP other activities or you can move forward to your approach of the man. Depending on what the others do it may be a little bit before you will need to respond again.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

With the sun already fading into the horizon, Kekeng figures he may as well find his way toward the docks to meet the merchant. A feeling of apathy washes over him, and for a moment, he considers whether it might be more pertinent to go find some company and get drunk into the night. His travels had been hard as of late, especially without coin. Well, if this merchant doesn't have anything helpful, I can always just walk away anyhow.

His flute fastened snugly to his pack, Kekeng orients himself toward where the docks must be, his walking stick tunk-tunk-tunking as he moves. Maybe tomorrow I'll see if my stories can earn me much of anything at one of the market squares. Haven't been this way in years. That's the twin-edge I've found myself in here -- no fame here to carry weight, but then again nobody's heard the songs before.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Reading the first scroll she opens, Nanako is disappointed when she realizes it's just a founding story, or maybe founding myth. It's no wonder no one's touched it in so long. This is garbage! she thinks, shaking her head and rolling her eyes. Hoping there is still more to uncover, she takes her time and browses through a handful of other long-forgotten scrolls. Though some are interesting, she is left wholly disappointed and leaves the store with a sigh. Maybe I can find a better store one of these days.

As she exits the store, Nana notices the sun beginning to hang low in the sky and decides it's time to head towards the shore. Time to see what this offer is all about. Maybe it'll actually be worth my time! And pay well. I'd love to be able to send some gold home already. Spirits know they need it.

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Seeing no way to sneak up on the mysterious man, Bao Tap Den decided it was time to approach him. After taking a quick look above and below him for suspicious figures, Bao Tap Den drops to ground near his hiding place. The young man made his way towards the waiting stranger.

I'll need to get a plain hat the next chance I get he thought to himself. I'm too noticeable with my shaven head. His hair style had never bothered him when was with the group of bandits. People tended not to care how he looked as long as he was robbing them. It was only now that he was trying to lay low that he noticed how his choice in style made him stand out.

OOC
[SHOW]

Are the docks crowded?
Are there guards near by?
How close to the water is the mysterious man standing?

Last edited by Slashstick on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Satomi eyes the merchant suspiciously, wondering if he once knew him. He turns the wooden horse over in his hand, examining it for a moment before clasping his fingers over it. He gives the merchant a silent nod before slowly making his way back into the crowd of the market, pocketing the carving as he does.

Unsure if he will take up the man on his offer of work, yet curious, Satomi looks up to the sun. A couple of hours till sunset, he judges. With some time to make a decision, he heads to a nearby tavern and orders a drink. He takes a seat by the hearth and watches the flames lick at the stones and dance a mesmerising dance around each other, losing himself in them for a moment.

The waitress arriving with his drink brings him back to reality and he hands over a few coins in payment. He feels the weight of his coinpurse in his hand and mulls over the merchant's offer. I guess I could use the coin. It's at least worth seeing what the man has to offer, he decides.

He sits for a while longer while he finishes his drink, taking some time to enjoy the comfort of the inn. Work for a sellsword often meant long days travelling and sleeping rough, life as a soldier hadn't been much different either.

After a while he stands and makes his way out of the tavern. He checks his armour and his sword over quickly before heading towards the docks, the sun just nearing the horizon, painting the sky a brilliant shade of scarlet.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

As you reach the docks the sun is hanging low in the sky, ready to set for the evening. A single watchman carries a torch as he walks along the docks, making his rounds of the city for the night. He looks towards you as you pass, but he pays you little mind. He is more concerned with the many moored vessels, smaller boats likely belonging to merchants traveling the nearby river or fisherman who make their living on the lake.

You spot the man, or at least who you expect is the man, waiting in the distance. He stands out on the shore, a few hundred feet out, close enough to spot him if you're looking but not too close to stand out if you're not looking for him. He seems to be looking in your direction, awaiting your approach.

As you begin to move away from the town towards him you notice you're not alone. There are others moving in the same direction. At first it is not clear if they are simply walking that way temporarily or also headed for the merchant, but the closer you get the more it becomes obvious you are all walking towards the same goal. Eventually you reach the man, who smiles as you approach.

OOC: You will arrive around the same time, though in whatever order you end up posting after this post.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng gives the watchman a crooked smile as he passes, not envious to be tasked with protecting boats and skiffs and canoes. I'll protect me and mine, but damned if I'm to worry over that which isn't. He is momentarily drawn into thoughts of how much one would have to pay him to be a town guard when he sees a sobering sight.

The merchant stands in the distance, near the water, seeming to wait for Kekeng. Why so secluded? What does he have to hide? the vagrant wonders, scratching at the scruff on his neck. What a loony, little man. He squints his eyes at the man for a bit as he approaches closer, noticing a strange smile on his face.

"What?" Kekeng demands, his brow furrowed in irritation, before realizing he isn't alone. The vagrant spins around, noticing others behind, approaching him as well. He hastily looks back at the merchant, fearfully. "No, no, no, no," he begins to mutter. A trap. A damned trap and I stepped straight to it. "Look, mister, we can work this out," Kekeng tries to bargain, his voice cracking a bit. "C'mon, now."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

As Nanako continues her walk through the docks, she becomes acutely aware of just how secluded this area is. Though the passing watchman grants her brief solace, it is hardly enough to dispel the brief worries in the back of her mind. Attempting to reassure herself, she thinks, I'll be fine. Dragon is watching over me.

Finally spotting the man she's meant to meet, Nana begins her walk towards him. However, she notices the handful of others walking in the same direction, both heightening and easing her fears. Surely he can't try anything funny with these others around. Unless they're his lackeys or something. Shaking her head, she tries to remove such thoughts from her mind. I'll be fine. I've got the Dragon's power in me after all.

As the one man finally speaks up frantically, Nanako is slightly astonished, yet confused. "Um, what exactly is going on here?" she asks, hoping for somebody, anybody, to explain.

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Bao Tap Den makes his way towards the mysterious stranger. Conscious of the position of the sun relative to man, the youth made steady strides toward his target. Before crossing the line of the buildings that made up the city’s edge, Bao Tap Den made sure to unsling his staff from his pack and carry in his hand. Who would suspect a walking stick as his only weapon?

He had crossed half the distance before he noticed the others. There were three people heading in the direction of the stranger. They’re trajectory suggested that they all left the edge of town from different points. Their speed suggested that most, if not all, of them would reach the stranger before he did.

Bao Tap Den was already wary of this one stranger, but now he was on his guard with the addition of these others. He maintained his present course and tightened his grip on his staff. He was all too aware of their proximity to the closest watchman. If a fight broke out, then they would be seen and heard. His primary hope was escape. He thought about making a run for it, but if he didn't settle this now then he would be looking over his shoulder every time he entered a new town.

As he got closer, he heard the other’s distressed comments. Maybe this isn’t a trap. He shifted his grip on his staff to allow him to assume a defensive position more easily. Can’t be too careful though.

As he approached the group, Bao Tap Den positioned himself to be closest to the setting sun. If an altercation did arise, then it would be easy to put the sun in their eyes. What is the meaning of this old man?

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Satomi approaches the docks, and spots the man out near the shore with three others nearing him. Makes sense he would hire more than one man. These are dangerous times, he thinks to himself as he makes his way forward to join them.

However as he draws near and gets a better look at the others, his suspicions are raised. These are no mercenaries, he thinks, taking in the strangers around him. One of them, a young girl, catches his eye. About the age Aoki would be... He thinks for a second, before quickly averting his gaze to avoid staring. Instead he joins the others' protests. "You mentioned work. What is this?" He asks the old merchant.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Who're you calling old? So disrespectful," the merchant says, no signs of hostility in his voice. Seeing the tension in some of the approaching hirelings, he raises both of his hands and gestures for calm. "Now lower your voices and calm down. This isn't an ambush," he continues.

Waiting for the group to approach close enough that he can speak more softly, he continues. "This is a job. But it's not exactly I job I want advertised to the whole town, so keep it down. Come, this way," he says, motioning for the group to follow him further along the shore to the north.

The man walks forward, leading the group along, not stopping should one of them protest. Should they follow, the group is lead a ways down the beach to a loan shack by the shore, far enough that the town is only just visible in the distance. By the time they arrive the sun is just setting, though an oil lantern hanging at the front of the building illuminates their path.

The man leads you to the door, next to the lantern, and fiddles with some keys. The exterior of the building has all the makings of a fisherman's hut, and looks large enough to only be able to comfortable hold a few people before it would feel cramped. Eventually the man finds the correct key inserts it into the lock. The door opens to reveal a room not fitted with fishing gear, but with beds.

On one of the beds sits a young girl, no older than Nanako, in a pink dress. She quickly stands and looks to the merchant, then to the group, and bows. After a moment she resumes standing and looks back to the man. She appears nervous. "Come," the man says, ushering the group inside the building before shutting the door behind them.

OOC: the merchant will continue walking even if someone speaks or questions where they are headed. Unless there is strong, stubborn resistance from the majority of the group, just assume everyone moves forward.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Keeping his mouth shut once realizing that he is not in immediate danger, Kekeng shakes off the embarrassment. He follows Quen Lu Tam, unable to shake his confusion, however. What sort of job does he want from all of us? Not labor. Not smarts. But what?

As they enter the strange faux-fishing shack, Kekeng squints through a furrowed brow at the contents, including the young woman that bowed before them. "Who are you, miss?" he asks, not following what was going on. "And where are you taking us, mister? I'm going to need some more details before I go along with whatever it is you're after. Otherwise, I've got coin I can find elsewhere." Kekeng holds his arms crossed.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

With the situation temporarily resolved, Nana joins the others in following the strange old man towards in shack. As he opens the door and reveals the beds and young woman, she is slightly taken aback. I thought he said there wouldn't be anything like Mei. What is going on here?

Nodding in agreement with the older, more rugged-looking man, Nanako says, "I think you owe us all some answers. What kind of job do you have planned for us and how do we all play a part in it? And who's this girl?"

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Thinking feigned compliance would more answers than hostile confrontation, Bao Tap Den follows the others inside. Hearing these new strangers pose their questions, Bao Tap Den remains silent to gleam as much information while providing as little as possible. I need to find out who these people are before I make any move.

He had noticed the girl waiting inside. Are you a possible danger or a tool for escape? he wondered. He had been younger than she had when he first tried to kill someone. I'd best keep both of these people in my sights.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Yes, yes, I apologize for the secrecy and confusion. As I said, this is not a job I want to advertise. I promise, though, it is worth your while." The man walks from the door he'd just closed to the only window in the building, peeks out of it, and then closed the blind that is covering it. By now the sunlight is just a small sliver in the distance as night creeps up and overtakes the day. All the while the girl watches him, still seeming nervous, but does not speak.

"Alright, here's the deal," the merchant continues, stepping back next to the girl more towards the center of the room. "This girl is in danger and those who seek to harm her lurk throughout Shan Da. I spotted you newcomers, and you seemed - forgive my rudeness - clueless and without real purpose, so I feel you can be trusted. I need her to be escorted north, safely, to her family in Baljin."

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Bao Tap Den had a wash of questions but was warry of exposing himself as a former bandit. It would be better not to ask revealing questions if these people didn’t know about his past. However, there were some questions he could ask that carried little risk. Who is this girl to have people after her? What is she to you to care about her safety?

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The merchant turns to the bald man and sighs. "A good question. I'd expect nothing less, really." He looks to the girl, who continues to look nervous, before continuing. "She is the daughter of a Jun, one who has many enemies. The ones after her are her father's enemies, who seek to gain power over him by holding her hostage. If she can make it safely to her family in the north, though, then he need not worry any longer."

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Bao Tap Den watched the girl’s face to see what she thought of the stranger’s words. He didn’t answer why he is doing this. He might not be telling the whole truth.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception to watch the girl's change in expression as the man speaks and insight to determine the girl's state of mind:
14(1d20) +1 = 15; 17(1d20) +1 = 18

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng stands staring at the man, his face awash with a pensive look. "This Jun paying you to do this? I mean... How would one of his caliber even find himself handing a job of this importance to a peddler like you? I mean no offense, though -- you're giving even me a job, which is... questionable, I suppose -- but you know what I mean?"

He turns to the girl. "And who'd your papa piss off, huh?"

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Satomi heads inside and perches himself leaning against a wall, silently observing the following conversation. After a few exchanges, he finally speaks.

"Well I'm in," he says, looking to the girl. "She is innocent and in danger. Whoever her Father is, she should not suffer at the hands of his enemies," he says.

"That said, you've indicated this is potentially a dangerous undertaking. I trust we will be well compensated?" He asks, turning back to the old merchant.

In another life I would have done this for free, but alas my circumstances dictate the need for payment.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"She's a long way from home. How'd she end up here?" Nanako asks the man, aware of their distance from Baljin."But nevertheless, I'm in. I'm not about to let some Jun's enemies take advantage of someone not too different from myself." With this, she shines a reassuring grin towards the girl.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"More good questions," the merchant says with a reassuring nod. He turns to Kekeng. "I can see how it would seem odd, out of context, but I have been doing business with her father for many years. I watched her grow up, and having no children of my own she is as close to a daughter as I will ever have. It is the least I can do to help a man who's given me much business over the years, and to help a girl I've known since her early days."

He turns to Satomi, before adding, "and there is money involved too, of course. I was offered the job and accepted, partly for personal reasons, partly for financial. These are hard times for all of us. But the Jun is a man of means, and he pays well. You will be very well compensated for this, that I can assure you."

"Bad men..." the girl says, still nervous, as she is questioned by Kekeng.

"Yes, quite bad men," the merchant continues, taking over for her. "They seek to usurp his throne, claiming to be the 'rightful' rulers. They are a ruthless family, going to any lengths to undermine the Jun, including threatening his young daughter, as you've seen." He shakes his head in disgust.

At Nanako's inquiry, he turns to face the girl before adding, "Baljin is not her home, but she has family there and it is far from her father. Far enough that it would be foolish for anyone to try to find her there, and should they try they'd have to pass the warring armies. Not to mention how unusual it is for anyone to travel so far north, they'd be spotted way before they got there."

Bao Tap Den
[SHOW]

You see nervousness in the girl's eyes, and her worry only grows as Kekeng - the man with the flute - questions about her father. Here eyes widen slightly, and she fidgets and squirms, clearly uncomfortable with the question. She seems relieved when the merchant takes over speaking for her, though her anxiety never fades as you watch.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Huh, well," Kekeng manages after the more detailed explanation. "I guess I can lend a hand. Any chance we can get an advance, though, mister?" he asks, bluntly. "You said it yourself. Times are hard, and I showed up here in Shan Da hungrier and with less coin than when I left for it. Only way I've been able to get any work done is with this."

The man holds his flute casually, whistling a quick few notes that seem to reverberate despite the small, enclosed space within the shack. "So what do you say? Half now, half later? Or at least something?"

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Diplomacy check with Words of Friendship: 7(1d20) +16 = 23

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Hmm," the man says, thinking for a moment on Kekeng's request. "I won't be the one paying you, ultimately. I will be traveling with you for the first stretch of the trip, however, and I'd be happy to leave you with a bit of money to help with the rest of your travels once we part ways. Until then I will be paying for food and lodging, so no need to worry about that."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Glancing at Kekeng, Nanako thinks, That man seems to reek of greed. There's more to life than coin. As the older man continues his explanation, Nana speaks up, saying, "When exactly will we be leaving? Surely we'll be spotted by those who seek to capture her, unless you're planning to have us leave at night?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Until now she's been kept securely in her home, well-guarded and out of the public eye. These men have been seeking ways to get in to kidnap her, and are getting close, but as far as they should know she is still there. I snuck her out in my wagon of merchandise," the man says, with a smile that shows his pride in his plan. The girl simply nods, her face suggesting it was an uncomfortable situation.

"Tomorrow we will leave from here, and she - as well as the rest of you - will pose as guards of my caravan. I've already acquired armor and a weapon for her to wear to blend in with the rest of you, and I've a helm to conceal her face. Once we are near Sonjiin I will turn back and head to my true destination. The rest of you can continue onward to Baljin from there."

OOC
[SHOW]

Sonjiin is identical to the place on the map labeled Sonjiin Crossing. In the 6th era, which the map represents, the city is the border between Amkaha and Nelghet-controlled Ghiasa, and the urban area is split in half much the same way Berlin was during the Cold War (or how various cities on the US/Mexico border are today). During the course of this game and in the past, however, Sonjiin was simply another major city of the Ghian Tenjunate. Because the island is not yet (officially) split, it has yet to have the term 'Crossing' added to its name.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"You've really thought this through," Nanako says with a smirk, noticing the man's proud smile. "I trust they're not aware of your connection with her?" shes asks, hoping for minimal trouble leaving town and making it to Baljin.

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

There are too many questions about this situation. I’ll need more answers before I commit to such a venture. “Speaking of connections, what will these people think of us if we complete this job? I doubt they will think kindly of us.” Bao Tap Den looks around at the other would-be-adventurers before turning his gaze back to the stranger. “Is this girl’s father willing protect or employ us afterwards? You’re asking us to go against some dangerous people. Money is nice, but what if it isn’t enough?” Bao Tap Den says with a frown.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I'm sure they are aware of my business dealings with her father, they wouldn't truly be a threat if they didn't know such common knowledge. I'm but one of many merchants who regularly trades with the Jun, however, and unless one of them had lived in the estate they'd have no way of knowing my own personal connections to the girl. To my knowledge none of them have."

Turning to Bao Tap Den, the merchant continues. "I imagine the other family would think very little of you, that's true," he says, nodding his head towards the man. "But my plan hinges on them not even being aware of her being gone, at least not until she is far from the city. If they know your identity then we've already failed. But I chose to approach you all just because they'd have no reason to know any of you yet, you're too new to town."

The man steps over to the side of the room and reaches for a parchment and quill. "As for future employment," he says, holding the items in his hands, "I'd be happy to shower you with my praises should you succeed. The Jun is loyal to those he trusts. Earn it and I'm sure he'd be willing to keep those bastards away from you, and employ you further should you desire to work for him again. He could always use more guards after all." He turns to the girl, who nods along with a forced smile. She seems less nervous than she had initially, though some nerves remain still.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Well, to be honest," Kekeng starts in, having been listening to the other two ask questions of the peddler. "It's either I do this, or I do a real job, and I can't be having any of that. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm in."

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

I seem to be the only one questioning this venture. If I ask too many questions they might leave without me. I still need to know who else this man has told about my past. It might be best to go along on this journey to get more information. Once I find out all I need to know, then I can try killing this stranger while the others aren’t looking. “Very well. Count me in. However, I have some questions to pose to the group that might alter you plan” Bao Tap Den said while trying to hide his inner turmoil. “First of all, does anyone have a map showing the land between here and Baljin?

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Satomi can't help but smirk at Kekang's request for an advance. No doubt he would disappear into the darkness with his money the moment we made camp,

"No map, but I've seen enough of them to know the way," Satomi replies to Bao Tap Den. "It's simple enough, we just follow the road North to Shi Chun, then it's not too far to the North West."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"He's got the right of it," Kekeng confirms. "I've traveled this region most of my life. No way we can get lost. Though if we do, I'm sure I've got some ways to entertain us."

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

“I’m not overly concerned with getting lost. If the man after this girl is as powerful as this stranger suggests, then he’s likely to have connections in other towns. It might be better to bypass civilization altogether” Bao Tap Den said with only the slightest hint of annoyance. “We could chatter a ship or risk the wilderness. I also don’t trust this stranger completely. Who’s to say that we’ll receive what we’re promised or even that her family will even accept her” he says while gesturing at the stranger and girl in turn.

ooc
[SHOW]

How tall is the girl?
What is her physic (slender, robust, "top heavy" etc.)?
How long is her hair?
Does she have any distinguishable features? (ex. a bruise, birthmark, scar etc.)

Last edited by Slashstick on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"My family loves me," the girl protests, her words laced with a mixture of confidence and worry, as if she is questioning her own assertion as she says it. She looks back to the man, who steps forward a bit towards Bao Tap Den.

"You needn't worry about that," the merchant replies. "They are already aware of her journey and have funds set aside to reward her escorts, of that I can assure you. And if you truly need access to a map, I can procure one for you before we set out. I'm sure someone in a city this large has one to spare."

OOC
[SHOW]

The girl is not tall, about 5'2", same as Nanako. She seems fairly slender, though her overall body shape is difficult to determine due to her dress. Her hair is long and straight, black, tied up into a ponytail behind her head by a pink ribbon that matches her dress. The most noticeable 'flaw', if one could call it that, is that a small part of her hair refuses to be tied up and instead hangs in front of he face.

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

The addition of a map would be useful. He wouldn’t give us a bad map at the risk of raising suspicion from the others who know this area. Regardless, I still don’t trust him. I’ll bring up a plan later that give us leverage until we get paid. Maybe take the girl to a village near our destination and insist the family brings the goods for her. This might negate any traps they’d set up to stiff us.

“Very well. I’m in, but I don’t anyone would mistake this young girl in heavy armor for a guard. What if she skills are questioned?”
Bao Tap Den looks pointedly at the girl. “Do you have any experience with weapons; a sword, shield, bow and arrow maybe?" He made sure to watch the girls face, hands and body posture. If he was going to risk his life protecting this girl, then he’d need to know if she was an asset or baggage.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception to watch the girl's body language (posture, weight distribution, hand placement, angle of chin etc.)

Insight to determine the girl's truthfulness and confidence.

14(1d20) +1 = 15; 14(1d20) +1 = 15

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The girl looks to the man, then to Bao Tap Den, before responding. "Well, I have practiced with a bow in my free time, a little. I'm not very good, though," she says, as she holds her left arm with her right hand in front of her torso, looking down a bit as she does so.

Bao Tap Den
[SHOW]

You do not see any reason to doubt the girl's truthfulness, or lack of confidence.

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Bao Tap Den nodded accepting her words as truthful. “What other skills do you have? Can you sing or dance? Have you gone on long-distance journeys? Have you traversed the wilderness before? Who outside of this town might recognize you if they got a good look at you?”

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"She'll be fine," Nanako responds to Bao Tap Den as he voices his worry. "In case you haven't noticed, she and I are pretty similar in build, so she won't look too out of place." After a moment she adds, "Worse comes to worst, we can pass her off as my sister or something."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

A very paranoid man clearly, Satomi thinks of Bao Tap Den. Although maybe a man of his suspicions will prove useful. if the threat is as great as this merchant makes out. If so this man's caution could prove valuable.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I've only traveled by carriage," the girl says, looking down at her feet. "I suppose some of the other Jun and their families would know me. We could always ask them to help us on the way," she says, looking up towards the man.

"That wouldn't do," he responds, shaking his head. "Who knows which of them are supporting these would-be usurpers? The family who wants your father's throne can't be operating without aid, they wouldn't be a threat if they were working alone. No, you mustn't seek out the other Jun. In fact, you should avoid them."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

She's only traveled by carriage? This girl really must be the daughter of a Jun. To think, I could've had a life like that. Nanako thinks as the girl speaks.

Turning to face Bao Tap Den, Nana says, "Well, I doubt many outsiders would be able to recognize her if she's only traveled by carriage, so I don't think you need to worry so much." Turning herself towards the girl, she adds, "And I hope you won't mind some walking then. Since a carriage is as far away from inconspicuous as you can get."

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Turning to the stranger Bao Tap Den say "I'm in. When do we leave?"

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng listens with waning interest as the paranoid man questions the young girl of her life experience. At one point, the concept of a lyric begins to formulate in his head, but he gets stuck on a few of the rhymes and decides to move on. Bao Tap Den's most recent question brings back the vagrant's attention.

"Soon, hopefully. Better to get on the road quick, eh? Less of a chance leaving by night that we'll be taken note of."