The Lion and the Dragon IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: The Lion and the Dragon IC

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I believe he said we're leaving here tomorrow," Nanako responds to the paranoid man. Turning back towards their mutual employer, the girl asks, "I trust all the supplies and such for the trek have been taken care of already?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Tomorrow, that is correct," the merchant nods. Turning to Kekeng, he continues, "while it is true that the night is safer for leaving unnoticed, that is not our goal. It would be suspicious for me to leave the town unnoticed, that could draw unwanted attention towards ourselves. No, we will leave during the day, early in the morning as is custom for most traveling merchants - myself included - and none will think anything of it. Nor should they think anything of my hired guard," the man says, gesturing across the room towards the gathered party.

"Now if there are no more questions, I've provided you all with this lovely home to sleep in for the night. I trust you can keep her safe throughout this first night. I will be returning to my inn room to retire for the evening as well. Meet me outside the north gate in the morning." With this the man walks towards the door to the home, stopping just short and turning back towards the group. "And do make sure she is in her armor," he adds, motioning towards a small chest next to one of the beds. "It would not do for her to be recognized before we even make it outside the city walls." With that he opens the door and exits the building, walking back towards the town.

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well then, I suggest we get some rest while we can," Satomi says, moving from his perch on the wall to one of the beds. "We've got a lot of days on the road ahead of us. It could be sometime before we sleep in a bed again."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Agreed," Nanako says, making her way towards an open bed. Plopping down upon it, she adds, "It would seem we've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow, so we can't afford to take it on without enough rest."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Would you all like to hear a tale before you sleep?" Kekeng asks, his hand running along the large, bamboo flute. "It would do well to keep our minds fresh and our favor in the eyes of Those Above," he explains, sitting upright on one of the beds.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"That sounds nice," the girl says with a forced smile. She takes a seat on a bed in the corner of the small building and turns to face Kekeng, waiting to hear his song.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Very well," the man responds, a gentle smile forming on his wrinkled face. Sitting cross-legged atop his bed, he lifts his bamboo flute into position and breathes forth a lilting and slow melody. It sounds very familiar, but indistinguishably so. As the melody crescendos into a peak of motion, Kekeng's playing goes quiet, and he speaks.

"Many ages ago in our land of Ghia,
before many lived here and before a time of Juns and Tenjuns and the like,
a young woman -- the daughter of a craftsman -- lived along a village on the river.
Her name was Sa Sun, and she was quite probably around your age, girl."

The man plays another round of the melody, but this time is sounds a bit different -- more softly-done and slower.

"She was renowned in her village, to be sure, for her singing.
Her singing, oh. Her singing made even Those Above green with envy.
Some watched from their heavens each time she went to the river and sang.
How jealous and resentful they were of the Bee who had given her something so harmonious."

The melody returns, but this time with notes more jagged and punctuated.

"One morning as she washed her clothes and sang in the sweet sun,
The Spirits were restless. Two -- in particular -- the Swine and the Spider.
These two were prone to disagreements, of course, but on this they agreed.
And so they decided they would steal the voice of Sa Sun to claim for themselves."

Kekeng's melody turns to a shrill, tense tone before he returns to the next stanza.

"But the Bear heard word of the Swine and Spider, and what they were to do.
While Sa Sun was singing on her way back to the village, the two swooped down.
The Swine charged at her and the Spider spit a disgusting web, hoping to trap her.
The Bear, however, was ready. Sa Sun screamed, but the Bear stood strong."

The sound of the man's flute returns to one more rhythmic and comforting.

"The Spirit of the Bear roared at the Spider and the Swine, who turned to flee.
Frightened, they returned to their homes in the spiritual realm, away from the Bear.
Sa Sun thanked her guardian and stroked its coarse fur, relieved of her worries.
The Bear asked for a song from Sa Sun, who obliged, happy to treat the spirit."

Kekeng repeats the melody he had first begun with, his head nodding in waves as he follows along.

"The Song of Sa Sun was taught to her children, and to their children, and so on.
Many say that her voice was the most beautiful to have graced this world.
It is told that if you stand by a river -- any river of Ghia, mind you,
You may hear her melody. Soft, slow, and sweet. It sounds like this."

Kekeng finishes, repeating once more the Song of Sa Sun's melody. As quick as he started, he stops, with a sly smile.

"Good night," the man says, nodding to those around him.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The girl slips into the bed as Kekeng sings, but continues to face the man, entranced by his tale. Her eyes widen at the parts where the girl is in danger, and a soft smile replaces her look of fear when the conflict is resolved. Once he is finished she responds with her own, "good night," and closes her eyes to sleep.

Nighttime
[SHOW]

Assuming everyone goes to sleep, time advances to the next morning. If anyone plans to stay up later to talk or whatever, feel free to RP that in your own time on skype or something and I can add it in here when you're done.

The night comes and goes uneventfully. Some animals walk by the house in the night, and anyone awake would have heard their presence, but otherwise nothing happens. Hours pass until the dawn, where the sunlight slowly illuminates more and more of the small building through an eastern-facing window.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Hmm, maybe he's not entirely bad if he can tell a story like that, Nanako thinks, a light smile on her face as Kekeng tells his tale. As the man finishes and says goodnight, she nods to him before lying down to rest. She falls asleep in little time at all, exhausted from the day prior.

Nana awakens as rays of sunlight come streaming through the window. Rubbing her eyes, she sits up and stretches, eager to get the day under way. Such eagerness is evident as she makes quick work rousing the others, not wishing to waste any precious time. "Good morning," she says as the others awaken. "I trust we're all ready for the day ahead?"

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by Slashstick »

Bao Tap Den rolls off the bed landing on the ground hard with a grunt. He wasn't used to sleeping in such comfortable accommodations. He picks himself up off the ground and starts preparing himself for the journey. He repacked his items with an air of detached familiarity making sure to know where everything was placed in his pack.

Bao Tap Den pays no mind to the protests of his stomach for food. The inspection and proper packing of his items must come first. He could still remember the first time he was beaten for not tying down the loot properly for a job. The goods had spilled all over the road where the attack had taken place. He went hungry for a long time after that.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Satomi sleeps well and awakes feeling well rested. "We should aim to leave as soon as possible. If we leave early enough there won't even be many people about to see us go," he says as he gathers up his things.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng awakes, slightly hazy from the night prior. He yawns and pulls the pillow over his head for a bit, the light hurting his eyes. When Satomi mentions an early departure, he groans but sits upright.

"Fine, fine. Let's be off, then," the man says. He ensures his belongings are strapped carefully to his pack, keeping his flute at his side, accessible. "We'll eat on the road."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The girl awakens and, though initially resistant, gets out of her bed when roused. As the others get ready she too dons the armor the merchant had provided for her, which she produces from a small chest at the foot of her bed. It fits snugly over her pink dress, and once her helmet is on she could be easily mistaken for an typical soldier, albeit smaller and in more vibrant colors.

When ready the group heads into town to meet up with the merchant. They make their way through the still mostly-empty streets of the early morning, headed to the northern gate as instructed. Some of the passersby shoot the odd glance their way, likely alarmed by so many armed figures strolling together, but no one approaches.

As they reach the gate the merchant huffs and rolls his eyes, pointing to the bright sky and saying, "you call this dawn? We could have been on the road an hour ago." He gives a small wink to the group and ushers them out onto the road, positioning himself and his cart between the entourage so that they've the appearance of his personal guard. Any attempts by the others to speak are met by hushes.

Eventually, after being on the road for a half hour or so, the man speaks again. "Apologies for the rudeness. Have to keep up the charade, after all," he says with a weak smile.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"It's to be expected," Kekeng admits, knowing the charade of merchants and peddlers well. He turns to the girl, having been curious for the last hour but not in a position to ask, and proffers a question. "What is your name, young one? You did not give it."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"My name is Suzume," the girl says, a bit muffled with the helmet on. "And yours, sir?" she ask, seeming genuinely interested.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Kekeng, young one," the man says. "It is a pleasure to accompany you on this task. You have little to worry about, I'm sure." He gives her a flash of a friendly smile as they continue walking. Pulling up his flute, he plays a soft melody to accompany their steps.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Nanako is glad as they make it out of town with little troubles, hoping the rest of the journey remains similarly uneventful. After Kekeng speaks, Nanako says, "Well if we're doing introductions, I'm Nanako. You can also call me Nana if you'd like."

At the man's second comment, she adds, "And Kekeng is right. You have little to worry about. Dragon will keep us all safe from harm, as well as the other spirits."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Satomi," Satomi says, not being one for small talk, as way of an introduction.

"The country is being ravaged by war, the spirits aren't doing a very good job of keeping people from harm. I'd rather put my trust in my armour and my sword," he says in response to Nanako.

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

"Bao Tap Den" he says while never taking his eyes from of his surroundings.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Well, if we are making introductions, my name is Quen Lu Tam," the merchant says, with a nod towards the others. "And it is good to see you committed to her safety. I was not sure I'd find help at such short notice."

The group continues on, possibly making small talk along the way. After a short time the road is engulfed on either side by a forest, though one with wide gaps between the trees. The terrain rises and dips at various points, at shallow angles, and there is an occasional twist or turn.

After one such incline the group finds themselves facing a blockade of carts taking up the width of the road. A half dozen men stand in various locations around the carts, and all turn to look your way when they notice your approach.

"Hail, travelers," one of the men says, approaching the group a few yards from the blockade. "Papers?"

All Players
[SHOW]

The man who approaches is wearing lamellar armor bearing a golden lion insignia painted on the chest portion. He has a shield strapped to his back and a sword at his hip. The other men near the carts seem similarly armored, though some bear spears or clubs instead of a sword.

Kekeng
[SHOW]

You notice that some of the men in the distance seem a little on edge. You can also tell that not all of their armor seems to fit them properly, suggesting that it is a hand-me-down or otherwise not designed specifically for the man in question.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Satomi rests his hand on the hilt of his sword as they approach the road block. An official check point or bandits posing as soldiers? Either one could be dangerous in these times he thinks, gritting his teeth. He looks to the merchant for a response to the men.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Careful," Kekeng whispers to those around him as they approach. "They might not be who they seem to be," he says vaguely, his brow lowered at the strange demeanor of the guards and their hardly-fitting armor.

Stepping forward, Kekeng bows gracefully to the group of men blocking their path. "Greetings, sirs," he says, coming back up to face them. He fumbles around in his bag, taking his time on drawing up the papers, his face in mock-straining. "They're in here somewhere... A moment, if you will. If I might ask -- under whose command do you guard these roads?"

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Bluff check to buy time without the 'guards' realizing intent: 19(1d20) +13 = 32

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The man looks down to the insignia on his armor then back up, facing Kekeng. "The Jun of Gojiin, of course," the man says, seeming annoyed at the question. He turns to face the others as Kekeng digs through his bag. "Come on, come on. Papers, all of you."

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

This is obviously a trap. I've lost count of how many times I took part in ambushes like these. Bao Tap Den rolls his shoulders and neck to discretely observe their surroundings and check for ambushes. If they're sloppy, then there will be signs of it.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception to observe the surrounding area.

Insight to detect hidden ambushes/traps (ex. Endor-style logs).

4(1d20) +1 = 5; 17(1d20) +1 = 18

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Bao Tap Den
[SHOW]

Though you are unaware of any traps or other hazards, you do notice through narrow gaps in the carts that they seem to be full of random items, including leather goods (likely armor of some sort), shiny objects (possibly jewelry or coins), books & scrolls, and other such odds and ends. Attached to the sides of the carts are multiple shovels, caked with dirt, though you do not notice any nearby holes.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Insight check to determine if the guard is telling the truth about his loyalty: 8(1d20) +6 = 14

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Kekeng
[SHOW]

As far as you can tell the man is telling the truth.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Hm," Kekeng responds, closing up his bag again and shrugging. "No papers, but I can play you the song of my people!" he chuckles nervously, slapping the bamboo flute hanging at his side.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Why does your Jun have you stationed out here?" Nanako asks as she begins rummaging through her pack for her papers. "Seems like a strange place for a blockade," she adds, finally producing her identification papers from her bag.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Sorry, no passage without papers," the man says sternly to Kekeng. Turning to Nanako, he continues with, "we've blockades on every major road. Can't have the Tenjun's men approach without warning, now, can we?" He taps his foot impatiently, before adding, "now if none of you have travel papers I suggest you turn back."

As they speak, Suzume fidgets nervously and whispers something to Quen Lu Tam. The merchant nods along as she speaks, but does not respond. He does, however, look towards the men very intently.

Kekeng
[SHOW]

You find their reasoning for being there unsatisfying, and feel like there is some information being left out or altered.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I've never needed papers before now and I've traveled for decades," Kekeng says, getting an uncanny feeling from the men's presence. "Why now?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Yes, well there also wasn't a war raging back then now was there?" the man continues, now clearly annoyed. He turns to the others and continues to wait, now more impatiently, for the others to produce their travel papers.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Yes, right, I see," Kekeng replies with rapid nodding. "Excuse us for a moment, would you, sirs? I think perhaps it would be pertinent to decide if we shall split ways or not." He steps away from the guards and back toward his group, motioning them back to discuss quietly.

"No papers. I don't think these men will be letting me through anytime soon. Hah, what a time in this world that a vagrant as I be stopped from traveling. I've traveled my whole life! Through here, many times. The nerve," the man scoffs. "Though I get the sinking feeling they are not explaining themselves fully. Their armor doesn't fit and they don't look the part. Fake? I'm not sure. Maybe they are just poorly put together. Perhaps we can take another route, Quen Lu Tam? I worry for our safety here."

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

"I doubt they're actual guards" he whispered. "Didn't you see the contents of the wagons? There were leather items, books, scrolls and a few things that glinted. Not to mention the used shovels. If I had to guess, I'd say other travelers have tried to pass through here only to be stopped by this lot and buried nearby."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Graverobbers? Or robbers that then dig graves? Hm," Kekeng ponders aloud, worried by the idea. "Though I suppose the result is the same -- the dead, with their possessions removed."

He gives a nervous look back at the guardsmen. I shouldn't have taken this job, Kekeng thinks, shaking his head in dismay. Perhaps there is still a chance to turn back.

"Shall we go another way?"

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

"Whose to say that these robbers won't attack us as soon as we turn our backs to them?"Although, that would answer the question of whether or not they have people hiding nearby" Bao Tap Den thought.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng wrinkles his nose at Bao Tap Den's retort. "What, then? Have they already won? None of us are truly guards. How can we defend ourselves if they plan so?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I don't know about you, but I'm not useless if it should come to a fight," Nanako says as the guards' credibility is called into play. "I would advise against attacking first, though, since we don't know for sure if they're real or not. Acting on pure suspicion is dangerous."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Acting on suspicion alone may be dangerous but at the same time we don't want them to catch us by surprise," Satomi says, joining hte others' conversation.

"I used to be a solider," he adds, replying to Kekang. "And I didn't take a job protecting a caravan during a time of war expecting to keep my sword clean," he says curtly, annoyed by Kekang's perceived cowardice.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Suzume was suspicious as well," Quen Lu Tam responds, hearing the concerns of the others. "We needn't stick to the roads if you are comfortable traveling off of them, but it is probably less safe overall. The roads are patrolled, so these men could very well be who they say they are. Or they could not, I really don't know."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Attack them?" Kekeng asks, his eyes showing concern. "What if they are truly who they say?. I've fled from the law of these lands before, but never regarding crimes of violence."

He turns to Satomi. "I figured as much," the man returns. "Then it is good we have your sword. Me? I will stick to my flute and my tales. They have helped me survive this long, eh?" He smiles warmly now, despite Satomi's tone.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Perhaps there's a way to test their legitimacy, but I'm not sure how," Nanako responds to Kekeng, unsure of how to proceed. "Or maybe we can persuade them to let us pass without the proper papers," she adds, glancing at Kekeng in particular.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Hm," Kekeng manages, pondering his options. My words are my weapon. Perhaps I can test them, he thinks. "Allow me."

Stepping away from the group and back towards the guardsmen, Kekeng gives a short bow. "Forgive me, gentlemen, but you ask for proof of identity. You must understand, as well, when we ask for yours. The Jun of Gojiin is a fearsome and cunning man, and I imagine he expects uniformity, order, and discipline of those who serve him."

"I mean no harm, but I ask -- your armor does not seem to fit in the way that it would have been issued. I can understand that this war has left supplies and equipment more sparse than usual. Do you perhaps have some sort of written order from your commander to prove your station here?" He appears calm and collected, but within he worries. I hope they won't take offense and use me as a practice target. Kekeng idly fingers his flute, hoping it won't come to be needed.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"It's worth a shot," Satomi says, agreeing with Nanako, although he stays alert and keeps a grip on his sword while Kekang tries to talk to the guards.

"They could easily be official guards using their position of power to shake down every one leaving the town," he quietly posits.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Encounter 1

The man looks at Kekeng, then glances to the others. In an instant the entire group bursts into laughter, nearly in unison, as the group stands watching. After a moment, once he's regained his composure, the man speaks up again.

"You speak pretty big for a guy who can't even manage to scrounge together some simple travel papers," he says, moving his hand towards the hilt of his sword. "But I've had enough talk. I think it's time you were silenced," the man continues, drawing his sword and shifting towards a more aggressive stance. As he does so the others respond in turn, drawing their weapons.

Suzume looks to Quen Lu Tam with worry, and the man just places his hand in front of her. She opens her mouth to speak, but he stops her, saying, "no, I already know what you are going to say. This is why we hired them, let them handle this." The girl does not look pleased with his words, but she stays still and watches as the men begin to advance.

As the merchant speaks, the men with the large clubs rush forward. One is only able to make it around the carts through the trees, but the other rushes headlong towards the group, landing a solid blow against Kekeng with his kanabo. As the man is reeling, he shoves him forward and grabs a rock from the ground. He tosses it at Satomi while he continues his advance towards the vagabond, though the soldier is easily able to avoid the makeshift projectile.

Go: Satomi, Nanako, Kekeng

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Rolled initiative for everyone:
Nanako - 16
Kekeng - 16
Satomi - 19
Bao Tap Den - 6
Suzume - 20
Quen Lu Tam - 4

Suzume: delays turn

Bludgeoner 1: moves to (L, 10). Double-Strike to use Kanabo on Kekeng (23 vs AC = hit for 11 damage, push Kekeng to [N, 12] and shift to [M, 11]) followed by Throw Rock on Satomi (12 vs AC = miss, does not provoke OA from this attack). Both characters are marked for a turn.

Bludgeoner 2: double-moves to (I, 10)

Map
[SHOW]

Map Info
[SHOW]

Trees: Any space that is entirely or primarly tree (the dark green parts of the map) is difficult terrain to move across, representing the roots and smaller trunk of these smaller trees. If you are unsure if a space counts, just ask.

Carts: The two carts blocking the road are not passable by normal means, and provide cover and concealment by default, superior cover and total concealment to those who are prone and adjacent. They can be climbed into, and are only 1 square high. To climb from the sides or the front is athletics check DC 15, following normal climbing rules. To climb in from the back does not require a check, but it costs two movement. Exiting from the back of the cart (if already on top) has no penalty, but exiting from the sides or front costs two movement instead of the usual one. (The back of the left cart is facing right, the back of the right cart is facing left).

Character Info
[SHOW]

NPCs
Suzume: The young girl is wearing her armor, that Quen Lu Tam gave her as a disguise, as well as the bow she was given.

Quen Lu Tam: The merchant is unarmed and unarmored, wearing his simple robes.

Enemies
Gojiin Soldiers: There are six men, two each wielding swords, spears, and large clubs. All six wear very similar armor, though their weapons differ. In addition to the spears, the spearmen also wield a few smaller javelins each on their backs. The swordsmen also each have a spare sword on their hips, though the bludgeoners only wield the single club.

Status
[SHOW]

19 Bludgeoner 1 (M, 11) | HP: ??/?? | Double-Strike
19 Bludgeoner 2 (I, 10) | HP: ??/?? |
19 Satomi (P, 10) | HP: 37/37 | Surges: 9/9 | AP: 1/1 | marked (-2) until Bludgeoner 1 EONT
16 Nanako (Q, 9) | HP: 32/32 | Surges: 6/6 | AP: 1/1 |
16 Kekeng (N, 12) | HP: 21/32 | Surges: 7/7 | AP: 1/1 | marked (-2) until Bludgeoner 1 EONT
16 Suzume (S, 10) | HP: 23/23 | Surges: 6/6 | AP: 1/1 |
14 Spearman 1 (G, 14) | HP: ??/?? |
14 Spearman 2 (E, 10) | HP: ??/?? |
9 Swordsman 1 (K, 11) | HP: ??/?? |
9 Swordsman 2 (H, 12) | HP: ??/?? |
6 Bao Tap Den (Q, 11) | HP: 41/41 | Surges: 9/9 | AP: 1/1 |
4 Quen Lu Tam (S, 11) | HP: 20/20 | Surges: 6/6 | AP: 1/1 |

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Kekeng watches in horror as the man surges forward. "Urp," he manages to belch as he brings his flute up barely in time to blast a shrill, raspy note. The surprise of the noise doesn't stop the highwayman from delivering a painful wallop to Kekeng, but he seems to be caught off guard by the drunken buckling of the flautist's legs.

Kekeng spins in pain as the man slips past him, finding himself dangerously close to Satomi. The ex-soldier brings his blade to bear against the enemy with little difficulty, dealing out a near-lethal wound. Then, with another flourish of the thick bamboo flute, Kekeng appears to have disappeared. "I'm over here," he whispers from the clearing near Nanako with a pained smile that doesn't reach his eyes. I can't say I've ever been struck with such malice before, he thinks, clutching his side. This is simply terrible. Why again did I sign up for this?

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Minor: Master's Eye effect.
Standard: Blunder on Bludgeoner 1.
Attack: 18(1d20) +8 = 26
Damage: 3(1d6) +5 = 8
Master's Eye: 4(1d8) = 4
Hits Will 26 and procs Master's Eye. Bludgeoner 1 takes 12 untyped damage and Kekeng gains 5 THP. Bludgeoner is slid two squares to O, 11, being flanked by Kekeng and Satomi, the latter of which makes an MBA with a +5 to hit bonus.
Attack: 12(1d20) +16 = 28; 10(1d12) +7 = 17
Hits AC 28 for 17 physical damage.

Move: Fey Step, teleporting to P, 7.

Combat Block -- Kekeng
[SHOW]

Kekeng

Male Eladric Cunning Bard 3
Languages: Ghian, Common
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 170 lbs.

Speed: 6
Initiative: +1
Passive Perception: 16
Passive Insight: 16
Senses: Low-light Vision

AC: 18
Fort: 11
Reflex: 16
Will: 18
HP: 21+5/32
Bloodied: 16
Surge Value: 8
Surges left: 7/7
Action Points: 1

MBA: +1 vs AC, 1d4-1 damage
RBA: +2 vs AC, 1d4 damage

Resistances:
None.

Vulnerabilities:
None.

Saves:
+5 versus Charm effects.

Active Effects:
None.

Powers:

Staggering Note
Vicious Mockery

Second Wind[]
Master's Eye[x]
Fey Step[x]
Majestic Word [] []
Words of Friendship[]
Blunder[x]
Moment of Escape[]
Impelling Force[]

Stirring Shout[_]

Consumables:

25 gp worth of Arcana rituals

Important Features:
[SHOW]

Song of Rest: While singing or playing during short rests, you and each ally in hearing range can gain +5 HP per surge.

Virtue of Cunning: Once per round when an enemy misses an ally within 9 squares, I can slide ally 1 square as a free action.

Trance: Instead of doing a 6-hr rest, Kekeng enters a trance for 4 hrs. While tranced, Kekeng is fully aware.

Fey Origin: Considered a fey creature.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

As the brawl breaks out, Nanako is overcome with panic, fiddling with her dragon pendant nervously. Drawing her dagger, she takes some deep breaths, quieting mumbling to herself, "Dragon is with you." Her focus is distracted by Kekeng vanishing in thin air, only to appear behind her, but it takes little time for her to regain this composure.

With a concentrated breath, she turns her attention to the foe who had dealt such a blow on her new travel companion. Aiming her blade at him, she unleashes a frigid arcane blast at the faux-guard, knocking him down and leaving nothing but a chilled corpse. I knew Dragon was powerful, but this powerful? she thinks, reeling from the fact that she just ended a man's life.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Move: Walk to N9

Standard: Dragonfrost on Bludgeoner 1
Attack: 7(1d20) +9 = 16 vs Fort = Hit
Damage: 5(1d8) +10 = 15
Bludgeoner 1 is ded

Combat Block
[SHOW]

Nanako

Female Dragonborn Sorcerer 3
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 110 lbs.

Speed: 6 (Flight Speed 6)
Initiative: +1
Passive Perception: 10
Passive Insight: 10
Senses: Normal Vision

AC: 17
Fort: 15
Reflex: 11
Will: 18
HP: 32/32
Bloodied: 16
Surge Value: 8
Surges left: 6/6

MBA: +10 vs AC, 1d4+5 damage (+1 to attacks when bloodied)
RBA: +9 vs Fort, 1d8+10 cold damage & target is pushed 1 square (+1 to attacks when bloodied)

Resistances:
Fire 5

Vulnerabilities: None

Saves: None

Active Effects: None

Powers:

Dragonfrost
Burning Spray

Second Wind []
Hellfire Heart []
Dragon Breath []
Tempest Breath []
Flame Spiral []
Dragonflame Mantle []

Lightning Breath [_]

Consumables:

None.

Important Features:
[SHOW]

Draconic Power: You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of arcane powers equal to your Strength modifier. The bonus increases to your Strength modifier +2 at 11th level and your Strength modifier +4 at 21st level.

Draconic Resilience: While you are not wearing heavy armor, you can use your Strength modifier in place of your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier to determine your AC.

Dragon Soul Fire: You gain resist 5 to fire damage. The resistance increases to 10 at 11th level and 15 at 21st level. Your arcane powers ignore any target’s resistance to fire damage up to the value of your resistance.

Scales of the Dragon: The first time you become bloodied during an encounter, you gain a +2 bonus to AC until the end of the encounter.

Dragonborn Fury: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.

Bozak Instinctive Flight: You gain a flight speed of 6 squares (altitude limit 1). You cannot use this fly speed if you are carrying more than a normal load. You must land at the end of your turn.

Infernal Prince: You gain a +1 bonus to fire attack rolls.

Unarmored Agility: You gain a +2 feat bonus to AC while wearing either cloth armor or no armor.

War Wizard's Expertise: You gain a +1 bonus per tier to the attack rolls of arcane powers and basic attacks that you make with a light or heavy blade. Your attack rolls take a -5 penalty against your allies.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Dodging the rock Satomi grits his teeth and draws his sword. He is taken aback by Nanako's powerful attack, but his battle instincts quickly kick in. He turns on the balls of his feet, digging them into the ground before pushing off at full sprint towards the nearby swordsman.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Minor: Draw sword.

Move -> Minor: Assume Berserker's Charge stance. +2 to attack rolls and +2 to speed while charging.

Standard: Charge to (L,10) attacking Swordsman 1, 15 vs AC= hit? for 19 damage.

5(1d20) +10 = 15; 11(1d12) +8 = 19

Combat Block
[SHOW]

Satomi

Male Dragonborn Slayer 3
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 200 lbs.

Speed: 5
Initiative: +5
Passive Perception: 10
Passive Insight: 10
Senses: Normal
AC: 18
Fort: 18
Reflex: 16
Will: 12
HP: 39/39
Bloodied: 19
Surge Value: 10
Surges left: 10/10

MBA: +9 vs AC, 1d12+7 damage. (+1 to damage on a charge, +1 to attack rolls when bloodied.)
RBA: +6 vs AC, 1d4+8 damage. (+1 to attack rolls when bloodied)

Resistances: None
Vulnerabilities: None
Saves: None

Active Effects: None

Powers:

Berserker's Charge
Battle Wrath

Second Wind []
Inevitable Strike []
Dragonfear []
Power Strike [][]*
Single Out []

*Can be used twice per encounter but only once per turn

Consumables:

None.

Important Features:
[SHOW]

Racial Traits and Class or Path Features:

Dragonborn Fury: When bloodied I gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.

Elemental Origin: I have the elemental origin.

Ironwrought Starting Feature: I gain a +1 power bonus to Athletics and Endurance checks. Whenever I use Second Wind, this power bonus increases to +4 until the end of my next turn.

Notable Feats:

Heavy Blade Expertise: While wielding a heavy blade, I gain a +2 bonus to all defences
against opportunity attacks.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The group, though caught off-guard and some in a panic, manages to make quick work of one of the club-wielding warriors. Satomi wastes no time laying into the swordsman who'd been speaking to the group, landing a powerful blow against the man. The swordsman lashes out in retaliation, landing a solid blow of his own before stepping back to allow his companion to rush in and do the same.

As swords clash, the two spearman approach closer, but not close enough for melee. Instead, the each chuck one of their javelins at the party, though neither hit their mark. However, an arrow whizzes through the trees and pierces Satomi, leaving the man noticeably weakened.

Go: Bao Tap Den

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Kekeng: hits, grants attack...

Satomi: hits & bloodies

Kekeng: ...teleports

Nanako: moves, hits & kills

Satomi: draws weapon, shifts stance, charges (actually 19 to hit), hits (20 damage, not 19) & bloodies

Suzume: delays turn

Spearman 1: moves to (K, 13). Throws javelin at Nanako, 16 vs AC = miss

Spearman 2: moves to (H, 8). Throws javelin at Satomi, 17 vs AC = miss

Swordsman 1: attacks Satomi, 22 vs AC = hit for 10 damage. Shifts to (J, 12)

Swordsman 2: charges to (K, 11) at Satomi, 22 vs AC = hit for 3 damage

Archer: Rain of Arrows on Satomi (and becomes unhidden), 12 vs AC = miss, 16 vs AC = miss, 18 vs AC = hit for 12 damage. Satomi is now bloodied.

Map
[SHOW]

Map Info
[SHOW]

Trees: Any space that is entirely or primarly tree (the dark green parts of the map) is difficult terrain to move across, representing the roots and smaller trunk of these smaller trees. If you are unsure if a space counts, just ask. Additionally, the tree canopy blocks line of sight for, and provides concealment against, ranged attacks. There needs to be a clearing between the ranged attacker and their target for the attack to land.

Carts: The two carts blocking the road are not passable by normal means, and provide cover and concealment by default, superior cover and total concealment to those who are prone and adjacent. They can be climbed into, and are only 1 square high. To climb from the sides or the front is athletics check DC 15, following normal climbing rules. To climb in from the back does not require a check, but it costs two movement. Exiting from the back of the cart (if already on top) has no penalty, but exiting from the sides or front costs two movement instead of the usual one. (The back of the left cart is facing right, the back of the right cart is facing left).

Character Info
[SHOW]

NPCs
Suzume: The young girl is wearing her armor, that Quen Lu Tam gave her as a disguise, as well as the bow she was given.

Quen Lu Tam: The merchant is unarmed and unarmored, wearing his simple robes.

Enemies
Gojiin Soldiers: There are six men, two each wielding swords, spears, and large clubs. All six wear very similar armor, though their weapons differ. In addition to the spears, the spearmen also wield a few smaller javelins each on their backs. The swordsmen also each have a spare sword on their hips, though the bludgeoners only wield the single club.

Gojiin Archer: In addition to the melee fighters initially encountered, there appears to be an archer hidden in the trees as well. He appears to wear a dagger on his hip in addition to the bow.

Status
[SHOW]

19 Bludgeoner 1 (M, 11) | HP: -44/?? |
19 Bludgeoner 2 (I, 10) | HP: ??/?? |
19 Satomi (L, 10) | HP: 12/37 | Surges: 9/9 | AP: 1/1 | Bloodied, Berserker's Charge Stance (+2 speed/attack when charging)
16 Nanako (N, 9) | HP: 32/32 | Surges: 6/6 | AP: 1/1 |
16 Kekeng (P, 7) | HP: 21+5/32 | Surges: 7/7 | AP: 1/1 | Master's Eye, Blunder, Fey Step,
14 Spearman 1 (K, 13) | HP: ??/?? | thrown javelins (1/3)
14 Spearman 2 (H, 8) | HP: ??/?? | thrown javelins (1/3)
9 Swordsman 1 (J, 12) | HP: -20/?? | Bloodied
9 Swordsman 2 (K, 11) | HP: ??/?? |
6 Archer (I, 4, +3) | HP: ??/?? | Rain of Arrows
6 Bao Tap Den (Q, 11) | HP: 41/41 | Surges: 9/9 | AP: 1/1 |
4 Quen Lu Tam (S, 11) | HP: 20/20 | Surges: 6/6 | AP: 1/1 |
4 Suzume (S, 10) | HP: 23/23 | Surges: 6/6 | AP: 1/1 |

Slashstick
ONE PAWNCH!

Post by Slashstick »

Bao Tap Den sees his party members attack and hesitates before moving himself. Too late to hide my abilities now. Bao Tap Den had never seen an attack as devastating as the one released by Nanako but he didn't have time to think about that now. He was already late to the party. Bao Tap Den rushes forward with staff in hand. Without stopping he starts a series of strikes to move amongst the enemy.

His barrage of attacks ends with him between a spearman and an archer he failed to noticed before the engagement. He berated himself, How did I miss that archer in the tree? Worry about that later. Bao Tap Den turns towards the spearman he attacked last and brandished his bloodied staff before saying "Yield."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Move: Walk to L11.

Standard: Use Spinning Leopard Maneuver. Bao Tap Den shifts from L11 to K12, to I8, then to I7, attacking Swordsman 1, Spearman 1, Swordsman 2, Bludgeoner 2, Spearman 2.

Attacks & Damages:
Swordsman 2: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
18(1d20) +7 = 25; 3(2d6) +5 = 8

Hits Spearman 1, 25 vs AC, for 8 damage.

Spearman 1: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
3(1d20) +7 = 10; 10(2d6) +5 = 15
Hits Swordsman 1, 10 vs AC, for 15 damage.

Swordsman 1: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
11(1d20) +7 = 18; 5(2d6) +5 = 10
Hits Swordsman 2, 18 vs AC, for 10 damage.

Bludgeoner 2: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
10(1d20) +7 = 17; 10(2d6) +5 = 15
Hits Bludgeoner 2, 17 vs AC, for 15 damage.

Activate Stone Fist Flurry of Blows for addition attack of +6 damage assuming a previous attack landed.

Spearman 2: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
11(1d20) +7 = 18; 8(2d6) +5 = 13
Hits Spearman 2, 18 vs AC, for 13 damage.
Stone Fist Flurry of Blows hits for 6 damage.

Ruthless Demonstration if any enemy is bloodied/killed in Spinning Leopard Maneuver attack.
Perform Intimidation Check on Spearman 2 to entice his surrender.
9(1d20) +2 = 11

Ready:
Reed in the Wind against the next enemy to attack Bao Tap Den

Combat Block
[SHOW]

Bao Tap Den

Gender Race Class Level
Languages: Common, Ghian
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 160 lbs.

Speed: 6
Initiative: +5