The OCB Special Task Force IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

The OCB Special Task Force IC

Post by Fialova »

It is a quiet, peaceful day in your home, the sun shines brightly, the streets outside are as calm as ever. It is the quietest district in the city, at least most of the time. Few spend their time chatting outside, always too exhausted after a day of patrolling - or, on occasion, fighting - to do anything but relax and take their mind off things.

You've been relaxing for days now since your last task, until the familiar rapping on the door is heard. It's Carter, so that means work. He hands you a missive, sealed and stamped with the Captain's seal. He gives you a nod, and takes his leave, likely bringing identical missives to the rest of your group.

As you open the letter, you notice the signature beautiful calligraphy of the Captain, and begin to read...
Letter
[SHOW]

Code: Select all

Classified Report -- Oddities in Wolfrun

Situation

For the past several weeks there have been reports of outsiders moving into Wolfrun, transporting cargo of some form. The Baron, Hasten Aerden, has become reclusive and refuses to talk to our knights in the area, and we have received orders in his name (from the hands of these outsiders) that the Order is to scale back their presence here, and be out entirely by the end of the month.

From what our knights report, the outsiders appear to be staying permanently, and are slowly replacing our knights as well as the Baron's old sworn men as the military and guard presence in the area. They regularly move in and out of the Baron's tower, which is kept locked and no others are admitted except these newcomers. 

Task

Investigate the goings-on of the Baron discretely. We suspect he is working with a smuggling ring, and that these newcomers are smugglers or bandits of some sort. If they are allowed to have a safe haven in Wolfrun, then the Iron Eye Cove will be at risk, as well as the entire western portion of Andor.

There are rumors from Iron Eye Cove that similar odd men have been seen around there as well, so you should begin your search there. It would also be prudent to check the Cape, shading dealings always tend to find there way there.

Report your findings within a month, and we will decide on the best course of action from there.

Good luck.

Signed, 
Ser Percival Melchett,
Captain of the Military District,
Order of the Cherry Blossom
It doesn't take long to gather your things, and when ready you meet at the usual spot, near the stables in the valley. Lorelai and Eloise are already there, the younger woman waving you over as she spots your approach. They are chatting, likely small talk while waiting for the others, but you can't yet tell what they're saying until you get closer.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Re: The OCB Special Task Force IC

Post by Namelessjake »

Anya casually strolls towards the stables, carrying her sword over her shoulder, yet to strap the sheath to her back, they weren't going to run into any trouble so close to Fort Sakura. Rounding the corner, she rolls her eyes upon noticing only Lorelai and Eloise have arrived.

"It better not just be us," she says as she joins the other two women.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"It isn't," Ser Gillam Trehearne says curtly as he approaches the others. "Greetings." The man nods his head at the women before him, offering the makings of a wan smile.

The walk here had been welcome for Gillam, eager to have some time to himself to ponder the arrangements. It is no news that the Baron has acted strange since the death of his wife. I wonder what curious work he is performing with these newcomers, he had thought. Death takes a toll on everybody differently.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Evander leisurely walks towards the others he sees gathering, a semi-smug grin on his face. He had been glad to receive word of a mission, having grown bored doing nothing. Why is it that no one throws a good party when I'm free?

Finally joining the others at the stables, he says, "Well, good to see you all. Let's hope the others aren't too long."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Welcome, Evander," Ser Gillam says rigidly. "You mentioned the others. Have you any idea who else from the Task Force will be accompanying us?" he asks. The note didn't say.
nemtsol
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by nemtsol »

Daeris walks to the others, crossbow on his back and his sword on his hip. With Ursula walking right beside him. He is munching an apple while his Ursidae companion held a big fish in her mouth. When he reaches the group, Ursula sits down and starts to eat the fish

"Hey. Just having a quick snack. You guys get an note too? Or are you part of some sort of stand around party?"
"What did we do and can we do that again?"
- Anyone who discovers anything ever.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Lorelai smiles and chuckles at Daeris' comment. "We all got notes, yes," she replies, turning her attention to Gillam. "It's my understanding that everyone would be assigned to this, though I've not seen anything stating one way or another. We only have a month, though, so the more the better," she finishes, glancing back toward the road to look for anyone else who may be approaching.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Gillam nods to Daeris at the man's arrival, taking a long stare at his ursine friend. "We should come to a consensus regarding our initial investigations," he begins abruptly, sparing no chatter. "Iron Eye Cove would be a natural start, but the Captain mentioned something about the Cape as well. Perhaps that would be worth looking into for any leads," Gillam explains. "I could be convinced toward either."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Perhaps, if numbers allow, we could split up," Evander suggests before being momentarily distracted by the bear and her large fish. He smiles briefly at Ursula, chuckling lightly, before he continues. "One group could investigate The Cape while the other takes Iron Eye Cove. If we've only got a month, it's better to investigate as quick as possible. Though we mustn't be too quick, of course. We can't afford to miss anything vital."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Anya glances quickly at Evander as the elf arrives, her mouth twitching upwards slightly for a moment. She remains quiet while the others talk, strapping her sword and sheathe to her back.

"A couple of us could investigate The Cape and then charter a ship to Iron Eye Cove to catch up with the others," Anya says agreeing with Evander's suggestion. "We don't need to send many to The Cape though. There's no confirmed sightings in there yet so we should mostly focus on Iron Eye Cove," she adds, recalling the Captain's note.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I'd much rather attend to the Iron Eye Cove," Eloise chimes in, her gaze fixed at the mountains in the distance. "The Cape reminds me too much of home..." As the last words leave her lips, Ewan is just arriving to the stables. Lorelai gives him a friendly wave as she'd given the others.

"To the Cape so soon, eh?" he asks, hearing the Imardanian's words. "I'll go. Are we splitting up, or just heading there first?" he asks, looking around to the others gathered.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Splitting up," Anya replies to Ewan. "I'll go too," She adds. It's been a while since I've been.

"Anyone else?" She asks, looking around the group, her gaze pausing for a moment on Evander.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I'll travel to Iron Eye Cove with Eloise and anyone else whose skills would do well there," Gillam offers. The Cape can grow tiresome, what with the rowdy crowd there, he thinks. Besides, perhaps I will have more time to get to know Eloise better.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Noticing Anya's gaze, Evander says, "I suppose I could join you two in The Cape. Are the three of us fine, or should we take one more?" The Cape may be shady, but it seems so interesting! I wonder why it seems like Anya wants me to go, though.
kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by kalis5 »

Eventually, Roy and his wife make it to the usual spot, though not silently given their slightly imposing presence. Roy's smiling slightly, giving a wave to the others.
"Hail. Forgive us, we were taking care of a few things that took longer than expected. Have we missed much?"
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

As he finished off his apple, Daeris says "I'm good, wherever." With a wave, he says "Hello. Not much." to Roy and Esmeralda Sabile.

Ursula just growls at Roy.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Hail, Roy, Esmeralda. We were discussing splitting up to cover more ground. A few of us will head to The Cape for investigation, and the others will take Iron Eye Cove," Gillam explains to the arriving couple.
AdorablyDevious

Post by AdorablyDevious »

"Guten Tag! It is, how do you say, wonderful to see people again!" Esmeralda says with a grin. Her huge, intimidating persona was once again a bit oddly diminished by her jolly smile and the fact that she actually gave a happy, almost squeal-like noise as she saw Ursula. She moves to the bear, giving it a little noogie and a hug around its large neck "Ursula! Mein Freund! Oh you are such...how do you say, a sight for swollen eyes?" She says, rubbing the bear under the chin even as it growls at Roy. After that she turns to the others, thumping her fist against her armored chest twice "Hallo Kameraden! It is a good day to work no? Let us have good fight!"
Translation
[SHOW]
In Order
"Good Day!"
"My Friend"
"Hello Comrades!"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Hopefully there won't be any fighting," Lorelai says, smiling as she watches the happy woman play with the bear. "We're just investigating, at least for now. The fighting will most likely come later."

"I'd rather not fight anyone if I don't have to," Eloise says, her gaze now turned to the bear.

"Well, it seems like everyone is here except Bridget," Ewan says, ignoring Esmeralda and Ursula. "Does anyone know if she will be coming?" he asks, looking to the others for answers. He stops facing the road back to the city as he spots another approaching. Those who follow his gaze spot their leader, Captain Melchett, approaching.

"Ah, good, good. It looks like you've all gotten here before me, wonderful," the main says, twirling the right side of his mustache absentmindedly as he speaks. "And no, Bridget will not be coming. Her skills are not quite suited to being inconspicuous, so she'll be sitting out for now. But don't worry, she'll have things to do."

He gives a smile and lowers his hand, placing both on his hips. "Now that you've had time to discuss it, if only briefly, do you have a basic plan of action? If not then I could offer some suggestions," he adds, before stopping to wait for a response. His face shows his usual stern expression, though you know him well enough to know he's not angry with anyone - it's just how he looks.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"We were considering splitting up to engage both Iron Eye and the Cape. I'd imagine the former would have more of a chance for a lead, so it's likely that the majority of us head there first. Did you have any suggestions, Captain?" Gillam asks, curious for his input. The Tulrissian had commanded men before, and he knew very well that it was worth taking counsel from someone other than yourself.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Anya, Ewan, and I were planning on investigating whatever we can find at The Cape," Evander adds after the Tulrissian man. "It should make quick work. Both Anya and Ewan know the city well."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Sounds as fine a plan as any. My only suggestions is to be discrete. I'd recommend investigating in plain clothing, and not making it known you're investigating anything. If you can, let the other knights in the area know to pretend they are unaware of who you are," he says. "At least, that's what I'd do. I trust you to figure out whatever works best, so long as you bring intel I'll be happy," the man finishes with a small smile, a rarity for him.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Plainclothes is a wise suggestion, Captain. Especially if we are going to be traveling in a pack. A group of knights well-equipped as us would hardly go unnoticed in those cities," Gillam comments. "Though we should bring with us proof of our status in case such a concern comes up, which I would imagine it would."
AdorablyDevious

Post by AdorablyDevious »

"Sadly, I am not...how do you say...'very disk-ete' but I am sure you already know this mein Freunde" she says with a smile, noogie-ing the bear just a little more before looking at the others. "Just aim me in direction of enemy and I shall zerdrücken sie zu staub! I uh, I mean...hurt them into submission yes?" She stands up a bit straighter, cracking her knuckles and giving a happy chuckle. "I mean, it is hard not to notice big girl in investigation no?"
Translations
[SHOW]
"My friends"
"Crush them into dust"
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

"Send me wherever you think Ursula and I will be best. I'm good with it." Daeris said with a shrug.

Ursula nods at Daeris as she makes a happy growl.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Should we go then?" Anya asks. "We've got a fair amount of ground to cover before we split up," she adds, eager to get moving.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Well wherever you go, Urusla will probably have to stay outside town for awhile," Lorelai chimes in, concerned for what the public would think of a bear roaming around town. Can you imagine the panic? It'd be kind of funny to see, but that won't help our investigation. "The Iron Eye Cove is surrounded by forest, so she'd probably be more at home there. But go wherever you like, Daeris," she says with a smile. "But I agree with Anya, we can discuss this more on the road. It's days before we even need to head our separate ways."

"Unless we just go by ship," says Ewan, facing the small knight. "It would be much faster for us to just return to the port and hitch a ride from there, the ground route to the Cape is more than twice as long as the trip to the cove." And being on horseback that long sounds horrible.
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

"Iron Eye Cove, then." said Daeris. Ursula seems to smile at what Daeris said, then returns to her fish.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Traveling by boat would be much quicker," Evander says, nodding to Ewan. "The faster we arrive, the faster we can get to investigating whatever's going on."
kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by kalis5 »

Roy nods at that. "I would have to agree with the others. Traveling by boat will mean we have more time. We cannot assume that whatever trouble is brewing will simply wait for us to take our merry time by horseback, of course. That and, if they hear we're coming, they may simply run for the hills before we arrive, and then we'd have to spend all day hunting them. Esma can attest to that."
He turns and smiles at his wife slightly, knowing that it's probably true.
"Especially with so many Sergeants arriving. We're likely to kick up a good amount of dust on the place if we all arrive at the same time."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I don't know, Roy," Lorelai responds. "Boat would certainly be faster to the Cape, but Iron Eye Cove would be faster on horseback. And it's not like they'll know who we are there if we go in civilian clothing."

"We do not yet know if there is trouble to be found, friend," Eloise adds. "Any who flee on our approach would only prove themselves to be enemies before we knew of their presence. Let's hope they are so unwise."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"If it's decided then, the three of us can go find a ship to the Cape," Evander says, eager to get the mission underway. "Shall we just return here when we're finished, or should we regroup in the Cove?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Plan on regrouping here in the Fort when you've finished, I suppose," Gillam answers. "Though if plans change and we need you in the Cove as well, we can send a runner to inform you. Does that sound fair?" the man asks. I hope we can find what answers we seek.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"That'll work," Anya says to Gillam. "If it's decided then, us three should go find ourselves a ship," she adds, talking to Evander and Ewan.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Nodding to Anya, Evander says, "Yes, let's be on our way. No sense wasting any more time just standing about. There's a job to be done. Should we put on plain clothing now or later?"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

OOC
[SHOW]
Since the game is going to be split for quite awhile, I will be handling it slightly differently than normally. Instead of multiple stat blocks in every DM post, I'm just splitting the game into separate threads for the time being. Each group will post in their relevant thread until they meet back up, in which case this will once more be the thread for the group as a whole.

While the party is split, this thread will be locked. Once the game is no longer made of two groups this post will be edited a bit to direct everyone to see the split course of events, and have more info on how much time has passed/etc. However, until then this will just be where to find links to the appropriate threads.

The group making their way to Iron Eye Cove should post here.
The group making their way to the Cape should post here.