Truth in the Fog IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Truth in the Fog IC

Post by kalis5 »

It's early in the morning. There's a chill in the air. The sun peaks out from clouds, formed out over the ocean near D'armon. Imardanian ships can be seen sitting in the port, bobbing up and down with what waves there are on the calm morning.

In the midst of this, a lone Priest to Elys does his rounds in the temple, walking from candle to offering candle, lighting each until he reaches the altar in the center. The workers are supposed to be gone that morning, but the scaffolding and ladders they use to climb are left behind. They had been working late into the night, setting mortar and stone into place, moving the stained glass window into place to give the cathedrals new bell tower the proper light it deserves for a cathedral to Elys.

It was under this bell tower that the altar stood, the candles on which were being lighted by the priest, when he noticed one by one that the candles died, and that the cloth had been stained red beneath the candle. A drop of blood fell onto his face, and when he looked up a man hung in the air, his body tangled in rope, blood dripping from his mouth, his neck snapped and his head cracked open.

This report sits on the table in front of Leon, the woman in front of him holding her head bowed. She looks young, about 26 at the most. She's crying softly as she speaks.
"Please, sir. They are saying the young Kawani man is behind it, but... But it couldn't have been him. Please, you have to take on this case, you have to prove it wasn't him. I'll pay, I have the money to from his will, but please, you have to prove he didn't kill my husband."
Faye Glyn
[SHOW]
With the case taken, and the obvious difficulties of the case, Leon has called on a few of his contacts. He's called on those that have skills in the fields he believes he needs to solve cases like this, the ones that show straight away to be more difficult than others. With the report and the wife's testimony in hand, the party has arrived at the scene of the crime, a church in Cheronte, where a guardsman motions to them.
"Over here. Your Leon and crew eh? Miss Glyn, the deceased's wife, told us you'd be coming by to aid in the investigation. Welcome to the case. I'm Beila Mele, in charge of the investigation here. We still haven't set up an official guard just yet, so just call me Ensign Mele. Any questions before we begin?"
Beila Mele
[SHOW]
AdorablyDevious
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Truth in the Fog IC

Post by AdorablyDevious »

"You have not removed the body yet yes? I do know that leaving them hanging on the rafters like that is no fun sight however if you move the body it may interfere a little bit with my examination..." Vox sighs, its muffled voice almost vibrating as a hand crosses over its chest. "It is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance however, despite the macabre circumstance with which we must meet. I am Vox, do not worry about my last name. 'Tis a piece of history that has long since ebbed and evanesced away into the drifting paths of memory that existence has long since forgotten about as well..." it tilts its head for a moment. "Forgive me, I seem to have rambled on a little about my inner thoughts...perhaps we should visit the body?" Vox asked, its head perking up a little bit to turn towards the others. Its beak-like mask almost seeming to grin at them as it crosses its other arm over its chest. "Shall we?"
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

"Don't look at me, sir." Felix said, holding parchment along with something to write with. "Leon is the detective, I'm just his often vexed assistant, Felix Drachen. Former wandering minstrel and now note taker. Felix said, as he wrote down everything that is said and seen. Under his breath, he adds, "At least I get paid often enough so I can eat. Among other things."
Last edited by nemtsol on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What did we do and can we do that again?"
- Anyone who discovers anything ever.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Fialova »

Mr. Lau can't help but to grimace at the smell. It's bad enough there is the smell of death, but what sort of incense do these priests use? It's an affront to the senses. He listens to the others speak, taking careful note of those around. That young woman is of the Blanc family, I think. Wealthy, influential, odd she knows Leon. That other one... a doctor of some sort? Odd choice of attire, clearly not someone bothered by appearances.

He folds his arms and waits for the others to finish speaking before piping up. "Tell me if there was any sort of poison involved when you check, Vox, was it? Concoctions are my area of expertise, I'm sure I can lend some insight on the source if any is present."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

What kind of sick bastard would defile a church of the Goddess with this? Violette thinks, disgusted by the desecration of the holy site. Whoever did this must face proper justice.

The aristocrat can't help but smile a bit at Vox's getup, knowing fully well what was hidden underneath, but respecting the doctor's privacy, Violette says nothing. At Belia's question, the aristocrat asks, "What do you know about the Kawani man the wife mentioned? Has anyone talked to him yet? He's got a story too, I'm sure." She'd rather leave dealing with the dead folks to the others; she much prefers dealing with the living.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Mele raises an eyebrow at the... Mortician, was probably the best word. He crosses his arms and takes in their questions one by one, waiting for them to get what they wanted to say out in the open before speaking.
"Alright, all good questions. Good start. To start with, we haven't moved the body. It's hanging up in the rafters of the bell tower. Victim is a uh... Right. Husband to the recently Widowed Faye Glyn, a Emil Glyn. From all accounts not a very rich man. Just a craftsman, his wife is where the money is. They married about four years ago, no signs of any real dispute... Seems he didn't give up the craft when the money came in.

"As for the body itself, well... It's in a rather precarious position. We've been investigating for three days, but the ropes are such a bloody tangle it's impossible to tell what to pull on. Safety lines, the bell lines, lines for the scaffolding... It's near impossible that he fell off like that. Someone had to have pushed him. He cracked his head somewhere on the way down. Not sure if that did him in or just knocked him out before he snapped his neck. Would've made his death a bit easier on him, poor bastard. Poison's an option, but as it stands, he was secured with wire and everything. Here's where it gets tricky.

"The only person around at the time of the murder, who does not have an alibi, is our Kawani man. Lusun. He was working the floors at the time. Every day they do work they clean off the altar to keep from damaging the items. He says he didn't notice the body, but... Well. It's the third arrest of a Kawani man this week. To be honest with you, I'm starting to think he did it. This keeps happening we'll have full on riots in a week I'm telling you... We've interrogated him repeatedly these past few days and he's shown nothing. Either he's a damned good liar, or he's innocent and we've got an unknown assailant, and that makes things even more difficult. The priest's been shouting at us to hurry this up before he misses the next sermon, but honestly, I doubt anyone wants to show up here anymore. Could kill the church if people start getting nervous about dead men."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

As the others question Ensign Mele, Ruihi narrows his eyes in thought, his arms crossed. The scent of a three-day-gone body made him wrinkle his nose, despite the man having come across a few in his time. "Ko te kakara o te hunga mate ... e kore te reira whiwhi tetahi pai," he whispers grimly to himself. Except Lau, he hadn't seen any of the others before, but that didn't surprise him.

The mention of the native man piques Ruihi's attention, and he raises his hand to draw the glance of the Ensign. "The Kawani," he starts in, his deep, even voice echoing quietly off of the stone walls. "Bring him. He will talk to me." His thick accent and brief manner of speaking had led many in his past to underestimate his abilities.
Okani translation
[SHOW]
The smell of the dead... It never gets any better.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Leon listens quietly to the group as he scans his gaze around the church interior, his head throbbing slightly from his choice of drink the night before.Fancy, he thinks, looking at the ornate decor, although personally he had lost his faith in the Goddess a long time ago in what now seemed like a completely different world.

Leon eyes Ruihi for a moment, wondering what the man is alluding to. The man was an associate of Mr. Lau. Leon wasn't really sure what use Mr. Lau had for Ruihi but he had to admit the extra muscle could come in handy.

"After we've had a good look at the body you can tell the priest he can have his temple back," Leon says to Ensign Mele, his voice slightly hoarse.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Rawa e kore ki tētē tenei whakakakara e pā ana ki. Imardanians i reka whakawehi i roto i te kakara i re re." Lau listens as the guard blathers on, waiting for the oddly-dressed doctor to inspect the corpse. Leon sure does know how to choose company.
Okani
[SHOW]
"Especially not with this incense floating about. Imardanians have horrible taste in scents."
AdorablyDevious

Vox sighs softly through its mask, looking up at the hanging man. "Now that we're here. We will need to get him down. Tis a shame, the ever present master of death seems to take joy in whittling down my defenses on what I find macabre and what I find disturbing. We will need to create a little cushion for him I believe. Perhaps one of you has a large tarp we can use when we cut him down?" it asks, sighing as it rubs his chin. It looks up at the body, giving it a little precursory little glance.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
12(1d20) +11 = 23 Perception
11(1d20) +17 = 28 Post Mortis
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Around the body, four or five guards are pulling and tugging on ropes up on the scaffolding, on the floor, trying to move the body closer to bring it down lower. A ladder has been set up close by, waiting for the body to get low enough to cut it down, with one guard on top and another below steadying the ladder.
Behind the group, Mele shouts at the men.
"Come on lads, you've worked with rigging, with sailing wire, bloody climbed to crows nests and you're having problems with a craftsman's knot?! Disgraces, all of you..."
He shakes his head.
"Sorry. The boy's this way. While your mortician goes to work on the body, you can try to talk to him."

He motions over to a door to the right of the one you came in, facing it, and begins to walk, expecting those that wish to watch to follow along after.
Vox
[SHOW]
Perception: From where you're standing, you start to understand the amount of damage this man's fall has imposed on the temple. The ropes attached to his body have torn themselves from the scaffolding on each side of the bell tower and wrapped around his arms and legs. With each tug they pull him one way and then the next, his body stuck in a tug of war.
His head looks caved in from where you're standing as well, with anyone that looks able to tell his skull was caved in. But what you notice most is his neck.

Mortis + Perception: There's marks around the rope. Dark blue and purple lines across his neck, angled this way and that across him. His left hand shows signs of bruising, and his nails look bloody. He must have put up a fight, but you can tell he was garroted with the rope from behind before being pushed off. The rope looks to be wrapped in a cross as well, ending behind his neck with a twist. As he fell the friction must have tightened to the point of temporary noose, snapping his neck. The blood from his mouth has stopped dripping so you can tell he died at least a few days ago, but the bruising on his skull shows the injury was taken before blood-flow stopped. He definitely took that injury on the way down, and as you look around you see a bit of reddish brown on one of the scaffolds on the side.
Last edited by kalis5 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Ruihi snickers at the incompetence of the guards' attempts to bring the corpse down from its hanging position. Taking initiative, the man steps alongside Ensign Mele. "This Lusun -- you hurt him or no?" he asks, coarsely. "Your men seem not good at these things."
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

Felix looks at Ruihi. "Please don't break our witness. I don't think we'll get paid if you do that." Felix then turns to Leon and says, "Am I right, Boss?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Ruihi belly laughs as he looks at the twiggy man pledging assistance to the detective. "Not need to hit a man to get words. Just say you will," he explains briefly. "Better you write and not speak," the Okani suggests with his eyes narrowed. He turns to his business partner with a raised eyebrow. "Te ti'aturi nei e ahau e kore tenei tamaiti e rongonga tatou nga hikoinga o te ara. Korerotia e koe ki ahau i reira kia hiahia ngaio, Lau."
Okani Translation
[SHOW]
I hope this boy won't harangue us every step of the way. You told me there'd be professionals, Lau.
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

"I'm just making sure, man. I don't know how you work. You could prefer breaking a man in half to get the info." Felix said, as he returned his previous task of recording everything. Hmm, why would they go to all the trouble of hanging the body up there? To send a message, maybe? But what kind?
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Ko te mea i korerotia e ahau ki e Leon. Ka kite tatou i." The man turns his attention the guardsman before speaking once more. "It has been days, yes? Why has the body not already been lowered? Should that not have been a priority?" These sailors are clearly not fit for civilian protection, they should bring a real guard to this island.
Okani Translation
[SHOW]
"That is what I was told by Leon. We will see."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I too would like to speak with this Kawani man," Violette speaks up, glancing at Ruihi and Felix. "Perhaps a feminine touch will make him feel more comfortable, and more willing to speak." She smiles warmly at the men, hoping to make them more comfortable as well, and maybe butter them up a bit.

"Besides, I grew up surrounded by aristocrats. If anyone knows how to lie, it's them. Oh is it fun to see through those lies! Why I remember the look on Fabien LeMaire's face when I figured out he'd secretly been spending a bit too much time with the bottle." Recounting this memory, the woman can't help but giggle a bit before regaining her composure.

"Oh, where are my manners? I am Violette Blanc for those who don't know."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"You may call me M. Lau," the potion-maker responds, crossing his arms as he impatiently awaits more information on the hanging corpse. "I am curious, Mlle. Blanc, what area of expertise you offer consultation on for M. DuPont. Politics, perhaps?" And why do you offer it? Surely someone of your standing has little to gain from aiding someone so low in the social hierarchy as Leon.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Monsieur Lau," the Imardanian woman responds, with a nod and a smile. "If you truly must know, other than the social skills I've developed over the years in the aristocracy, I also have knowledge in history, religion, linguistics, and the arcane. I do know much about business as well, but that's more useful elsewhere. My studies at L'Académie de Aerlynn were quite broad as you can see." With this out in the open now, Violette hopes the others take her a bit more seriously. I'm not some aristocratic bimbo. And hopefully now they'll know that.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Ruihi turns to Violette and nods his head at her. "Ruihi," the Okani native vocalizes. "My name. Good to meet you," the man says politely but without a smile. She seemed eager to unleash her every accomplishment upon us, Ruihi thinks to himself. The less others know about you, the less of a wedge they have over you.
AdorablyDevious

"As enthralling as this bit of conversation is my friends, I do believe we have a more important matter on hand. Just from precursory examination I can tell that the man fought to his last breath it seems. His left hand and nails are disturbed with blood, look at them..." it says, pointing up towards the body even as those people try to take it down. It seems to wait for people to pay attention to it, one can almost feel the macabre smile from back behind its mask. It definitely seems to enjoy its job...
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"And any trace of poison or other substances?" Lau asks, eager for his presence to matter. I did not come all the way to this rancid construction site to gaze on as other discuss over a corpse. Give me something to do, already.
AdorablyDevious

Vox sighs softly, crossing its arms. "Sadly, poison or other substances cannot easily be shown just through sheer visual examination alone. From here though, I cannot see any outlined veins or discoloration that is not consistent with physical trauma. However, Judging from the pattern of bruising on his neck, and his position it is relatively easy to tell that the cause of death was the snapping of the neck. The poor chap would have died very quickly, if not instantly to that. And if he did not, choking upon his own blood would be a very quick out for him." Vox uses its hands while it speaks, pointing at various things before even pantomiming the making of a noose.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Hm, well we wait until the men cut him down then," the man continues, annoyed at the guards' incompetence. Three days just hanging there...
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Quick death not bad," Ruihi comments aloud, following along on the queer doctor's explanation of the victim's secrets. What a strange and fascinating person, he thinks to himself. They can learn all of that just from studying the outside of the man's body?
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

"Doc, remind me. Is it easy to snap a neck?" Feilx said, as he wrote everything down, with a grimace and a slightly green face. "And please don't give details until I ask for them, this time."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

The Okani chuckles at Felix's antics. He leans toward Lau casually. "Te mea te reira e hapa tetahi he puku, nē? Tūmanako faaho'i ia tona taimaha hohoro," he remarks, before resuming his distance. Ruihi sniffs, scratching his head. "If strong, yes. Weak, no. Probably man who do it."
Okani Translation
[SHOW]
"It seems that one lacks a stomach, eh? Hopefully he pulls his weight soon."
AdorablyDevious

"It depends I suppose. It generally takes around a five, to nine foot drop while hanging to---yes, good," it smiles at the man who spoke. "Anyways, for the last bit of analysis if you would all look towards the man's skull, mouth, and where I point." it almost seems to smile again behind its mask, an aura of almost elation coming from it as it explains what it sees.

"The injury on the skull is before death, while the blood dripping from his mouth looks to indicate that it has been at least a few days, as we know. He very likely hit...there..." it points, "on the way down. This is my medical knowledge so far on the cadaver, but if you wish to hear my own idea on what may have happened I am still, obviously, available for that sort of questioning as well."
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Mele halts as the others speak of the corpse, turning to look at them, his hand on the doorknob, shouting across the room.
"You know, if you'd like to examine the corpse further, you could, I dunno, help bring him down rather than stand beneath him gawking at the poor sod. In fact, consider that a request. Just please do it before one of my men garrotes the bastard any further."

As he turns, anyone looking at the guards trying to untangle the ropes sees them give Mele a rather searing glare. They clearly don't take to his harsh words well.
Mele opens the door, and walks inside, holding it open for those following, speaking as they enter the room.
"We've kept him in here both for interrogation and his own good. Word gets out another Kawani killed someone, there'd be hitmen, nobles with guards looking to start something, vigilantes, it'd be bloody awful for the lad. Shame he doesn't see it that way."

The young Kiwani man sits on a bench moved to the corner. The room looks to be a kitchen area for members of the church, a small fire burning in under a pot, though the pot holds nothing in it, seemingly for warmth right now. His face is downcast, his cheek a bit bruised, but otherwise the man seems unharmed.
Lusun
[SHOW]
He looks over at those that enter, eyes scanning each of you before looking down again.
"Lebih interogator? Mereka harus benar-benar percaya aku bersalah."
Translation for those able to speak Kiwani
[SHOW]
More interrogators? They must truly believe I am guilty.
Mele sighs and shakes his head at the man.
"When we told him he was a suspect he got violent. We had to hit him upside the head a bit to get him to calm down. It was that or let him run off, sadly. So yeah, we had to hurt him. Though he's been fine since then and there haven't been any other brawls, if that answers your question."
Last edited by kalis5 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

Felix took a few deep breaths before saying, "Yeah, go ahead Doc. Tell us your theory." At Mele, he added. "Can't you just cut the knot?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Apakah mereka memiliki alasan untuk percaya kau bersalah?" the aristocrat says to Lusun as she enters the room, using her knowledge of Kawani. It wasn't often she used it, with how many spoke Imardanian on the island. "Mereka mengatakan Anda berada di sini ketika pembunuhan itu terjadi. Sekarang bahwa baik membuat Anda tersangka, yang saya ingin percaya Anda tidak, atau Anda hanya saksi. Bisakah Anda ceritakan apa yang Anda ingat? Jika Anda tulus seperti Anda percaya Anda, maka itu dalam kepentingan terbaik Anda untuk memberitahu saya."

With a friendly smile, Violette adds, "Saya yakin Anda ingin mendapatkan masalah ini diselesaikan sehingga Anda dapat pergi keluar dan menikmati hari yang indah ini. Anda membantu saya dan saya akan membantu Anda, oke?" Although the man been more violent with the guards, Violette hopes that her calmer tone will keep him relaxed, and in turn, make him talk more.
Kawani Translation
[SHOW]
"Do they have a reason to believe you're guilty?" the aristocrat says to Lusun as she enters the room, using her knowledge of Kawani. It wasn't often she used it, with how many spoke Imardanian on the island. "They say you were here when the murder happened. Now that either makes you the suspect, which I want to believe you're not, or you're the only witness. Can you tell me what you remember? If you're as innocent as you believe you are, then it's in your best interests to tell me."

With a friendly smile, Violette adds, "I'm sure you want to get this issue settled so you can go out and enjoy this beautiful day. You help me and I'll help you, okay?" Although the man been more violent with the guards, Violette hopes that her calmer tone will keep him relaxed, and in turn, make him talk more.
AdorablyDevious

Vox sighs softly from within its mask, crossing its arms again. It raises an arm, scratching its chin as it looks up towards the corpse again. "Actually, I do believe I will keep my theory to myself until I know more about the cadaver. It shall speak to me of course, poor man...without a voice for at least three days." it sighs, moving towards where some of the other people were to attempt to help pull the man down without actually cutting the knots. What he will tell me I can hardly fathom at times... It is humming a song, a slightly beautiful...haunting melody.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Engineering to get the man down from the ropes: 9(1d20) +13 = 22
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"So it definitely wasn't an accident," Leon says, in response to Vox's analysis. "Although it is a rather clumsy way to kill some one. I'd say it's likely a crime of passion. Something with a lot of emotion behind it. Chances are he knew his assailant so some digging around in his life will be very helpful." Leon pauses for a moment thinking.

"The widow is our employer so it's probably not her, although crazier things have happened. That rules out love as the likely motive and in my experience people tend to kill for two reasons; love and money. You said he was a craftsman?" Leon says to the Ensign. "Once we're done here we should investigate his place of work."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"E kore e taea te kite ahau i te mea kite Leon i roto ia ia, engari ka whakawhirinaki ahau e mohio ana ia he aha kei te mahi ia ki tona kōwhiringa o ngā kaimahi." Uninterested in helping lower the corpse, Lau decides to spend his time waiting for a verdict by visiting the prime suspect. He listens as Violette rattles off in Kawani, a language he recognizes but cannot speak. "Do you speak Imardanian, boy? O comú?" he asks, hoping to shift the conversation into a language he knows.
Okani Translation
[SHOW]
"I cannot see what Leon sees in him, but I will trust he knows what he is doing with his choice of employees."
Common Translation
[SHOW]
"...Or common?"
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

"What I want to know is why he's in the rafters in the first place. I mean, wouldn't it be easier to put his body in a sack, fill it with rocks, then dump it into the sea? I mean, if the guards had so much trouble with getting the body down, wouldn't it be equally as hard to get it up there?" Felix shrugged, and defended himself by saying, "What? I'm the only one who thinks about stuff like that?"
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

One of the guards helps Vox up towards the ropes when it decides to aid in untangling the man. He motions to a mess of wires, some looped over each other, others wrapped around or criss-crossed in the air, and some attached to the scaffolding as well. Although tricky, it does manage to figure out which rope leads to what, and begins cutting the man down, one rope at a time until he's swaying in the air, his body falling past his head, hung by the bell line alone now, and close enough for the guards below to reach up and bring him down.
The guard next to Vox gives a small bow of thanks.
"Thanks uh... Mortician. We'd been trying to figure out which line led to what without cutting down the scaffolding for a bit now."

Once Vox is back on the ground, one of the guards descends the scaffolding with it to the others.
"I can answer your questions while Mele's with your co-workers. We're sure that he was killed from the fall, and the positioning. And he was a craftsman, yeah... But the money was with his wife, or at least, that's what Mele says, so the only one here with a motive is that Kawani man. They're still pretty ticked about the occupation... And he was a craftsman, here to work on the bell tower, sir." He says, looking to Felix. "He was probably working late on the upper levels. The bell was supposed to go in a few days from now, work's been going on for the past two months."

Meanwhile, inside the kitchen, the Kawani man's eyes go wide at Lau and Violette.
"Maafkan aku, aku tidak mengharapkan orang lain untuk berbicara bahasa saya ... Jika aku bisa, aku ingin berbicara bahasa saya, saya hanya tahu Imardanian agak."
His head looks down as he continues to speak.
"Mereka percaya bahwa saya lakukan... Tapi itu tidak mungkin , aku terus mengatakan kepada mereka. Aku berada di lantai dasar sepanjang hari, menyapu debu dan bubuk mortir dari lantai, sebagai candi telah meminta kita. Mereka mengatakan bahwa saya adalah satu-satunya dengan motivasi untuk melakukannya, tapi apa motivasi itu? Bahwa saya darah yang berbeda? Saya tidak mengerti logika mereka... Malam itu aku telah datang, menyapu lantai bawah seperti yang diminta, dan meninggalkan sebelum pagi datang. Aku bahkan sign out, ada registri oleh pintu depan dengan nama saya di atasnya dan jam saya datang dan meninggalkan..."
Kawani Translation
[SHOW]
"Forgive me, I did not expect someone else to speak my language... If I could, I would like to speak my language, I only know Imardanian somewhat."
His head looks down as he continues to speak.
"They believe that I do... But it's impossible, I keep telling them. I was on the ground floor the entire day, sweeping the dust and mortar powder from the floors, as the temple had asked of us. They say that I was the only one with motivation to do so, but what motivation is that? That I am of different blood? I do not understand their logic... That night I had come in, swept the bottom floor as was asked, and left before morning came. I even signed out, there's a registry by the front door with my name on it and the hours I came and left..."
Last edited by kalis5 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"He says he doesn't speak much Imardanian, and he's more comfortable speaking Kawani," Violette replies to Lau's question. "So it looks like I'll be doing a lot of translating. He says he came in that night, did the sweeping he was assigned, and then left before morning. He says there's a registry by the door that says the hours he arrived and left."

With the translations taken care of, the Imardanian woman turns her attention back to the suspected assailant. She begins by asking, "Apakah Anda tahu orang ini yang dibunuh? Atau mengetahui siapa yang tidak menyukainya? Kebencian bisa menjadi alasan ini berlangsung."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Insight to see if Lusun is telling the truth: 16(1d20) +20 = 36

Kawani translation: "Did you know this man that was murdered? Or know of anyone that disliked him? Hatred could be the reason this took place."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"And what does the registry say about our victim?" Lau responds to the woman, but directed at the young man. Certainly a builder wouldn't be here at night. Though it is odd for anyone to be, at a construction site.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Impressed at the Imardanian woman's grasp of the native language, Ruihi steps in to assist the questioning. "Let me," he says gently to her, raising a hand to catch Lusun's attention. "Rekan saya bertanya apa registri menyatakan untuk orang yang terbunuh," he translates for the Kawani man, his grasp on the language quite decent. Awaiting an answer, he looks back to Lau. "Mahalo ki te titau i te rēhita mōhiohio o nga manuhiri, ka taea e matou te titiro ki te wā o te hunga i haere mai i roto i, i roto i te whare i roto i te matapihi wa o te kohuru."

The native turns to Felix. "You," he says, pointing to him. "Get the...log with the hours, okay? Thank you, boy." He nods respectfully and turns back to Lusin.

Kawani translation
[SHOW]
"My associate asks what the registry states for the murdered man."
Okani translation
[SHOW]
"Perhaps if the registry requires every visitor's information, then we can see the timing of who came in and out of the building during the time window of the murder.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Oku whakaaro me te," Lau replies to his comrade. "A i te tino iti rawa, ka kite tatou, ki te korero tenei tamaiti i te parau mau." Lau motions with his hands towards Felix, at Ruihi's words, not wanting to wait around longer than necessary. Hopefully that mortician has gotten the body down by now.
Okani Translation
[SHOW]
"My thoughts as well," ... "And at the very least, we will see if this boy speaks the truth."
nemtsol

Post by nemtsol »

"Yeah, sure. If anything interesting happens, make sure to write it down." said Felix, grateful for an excuse to leave and get his skin back to normal color.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"The money is with his wife you say?" Leon queries. "Something doesn't seem quite right here. When the widow came to me she assured payment due to receiving money from the deceased will. That's a strange thing to bring up if you're supposedly the better off of the spouses. And she was very insistent the Kawani is innocent. Hopefully the others talking to him have come up with a lead. There's a lot more to this investigation than meets the eye," Leon adds, running his hand across his stubbled chin.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Mele looks to Leon, bringing the pipe from his mouth, tapping the side of it as he thinks of a response.
"Could be she didn't want you asking for money up front. Could be more to it. Maybe we should bring her in as well, question her and see what's going on there... Though we'd need more before bringing in someone with her kind of wealth. Friends in high places stomp on those beneath them right?"

Felix does find the registry. It's on a small pedestal off to the side of the main entrance, an unassumingly small book. Once he brings it back and opens it, the book holds a good number of dates and names, including Lusun's and the victim's, Emil Glyn. However, as you look at the book, you realize an issue that Mele is quick to point out.
"That's... Not exactly admissible evidence lads. A book in front of the main entrance is an easy thing to alter, any good prosecutor would throw that in the defense's face straight off. Though it does look like our suspect left before Emil came in to do his work... There's no other entries though."

Lusun speaks once more, his face turned to Violette, seemingly more comfortable speaking to her than the others given her appearance and her voice.
"Registri mencatat orang-orang yang bekerja , bukan? Saya akan berasumsi bahwa sebagian besar pekerja yang tercatat jam mereka di dalamnya untuk membayar ..."
At the mention of the victim, his face pales slightly, and he looks down.
"Aku ... aku tidak tahu korban , tidak ada ."
Kawani Translation
[SHOW]
"The registry records the people who work , does it not? I would assume that most of the workers recorded their hours to be payed..."

"I ... I do not know the victim , no ."
Violette
[SHOW]
You can tell that Lusun has been telling the truth so far. He is innocent, or at the very least, believes heavily that he is innocent. He also seems to be telling the truth, that he did not go up onto the scaffolding that night. However, when he speaks about knowing the victim, you catch something off. Hesitation, or perhaps a small lie?
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Violette raises an eyebrow when the man hesitates when asked about his relationship with the victim. Whispering to her colleagues, she says, "It sounds like he's been truthful so far in that he didn't go on the upper level that night, so he seems fairly innocent. But he hesitated when I asked about him knowing the victim. Something's off about that."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"The wife of the victim wants to help him, so it seems obvious they know each other. You can tell him that. Why try to hide this fact? His situation can't get worse than 'prime suspect.'" Turning back to Ruihi, Lau crosses his arms and continues. "E kore te mea kanapa rawa tenei tamaiti. Aha koe e whakaaro i haere ia i runga i ki te pārurenga me wahine?"
Okani Translation
[SHOW]
"This boy is not too bright. What do you think he had going on with the victim and wife?"
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Ruihi scowls, picking through his thoughts to answer his associate's question. Shrugging he replies in Okani. "Mahalo te take. He wahine tiri Imardanian ki te whanau-whenua weriweri? Whakaaro ahau kia kawea tatou i roto i te wahine, ki te tino ia tatou e nehenehe e whakahaere tikanga i roto i ona taumu'a."
Okani Translation
[SHOW]
"Perhaps an affair. An Imardanian woman sharing passion with a native-born? I think we should bring in the wife, to make sure we can rule out her motives."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Ko rite te pai toku whakaaro," Lau responds to Ruihi. "Kia tamata koe ki te tiki ki a ia te kōrero e pā ana ki reira, engari whakatata te kaupapa penapena ana. A e kore e hanga i taua marama whakaaro koe ki reira te tahi mea e haere i runga i waenganui o ratou."
Okani Translation
[SHOW]
"That was my thought as well," "You should try to get him to talk about it, but approach the subject delicately. And don't make it obvious you think there is something going on between them."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

The Okani nods at his associate, accepting his advice. Turning to Lusun, he speaks up again. "Anda tidak tahu orang yang meninggal, tetapi apakah Anda tahu keluarganya? Istrinya bertemu dengan rekan saya dan tampak sangat positif Anda tidak bersalah. Apakah kamu pernah bertemu?"

Kawani Translation
[SHOW]
"You don't know the deceased man, but do you know his family? His wife met with my associate and seemed very positive you were innocent. Have you met?
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

"Istrinya? Yah ... Apa nama terakhir lagi ? Aku takut aku hanya mendengar dia disebut sebagai korban , saya belum diberi nama itu ."
His face looks down a bit as he speaks, as if saddened by the topic.

"Mati tidak boleh dibicarakan seperti itu. Hal ini tidak sopan ..."
Kawani Translation
[SHOW]
"His... Wife? Well... What was his last name again? I am afraid I have only heard to him refered as the victim, I have not been given his name."

"The dead should not be spoken of as such. It is disrespectful..."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Violette rolls her eyes as her colleagues have their side-chat in Okani. Great way to solve a case. Keeping information hidden behind a language that isn't even spoken on this island. As she once more hears Kawani being spoken, she perks up. Answering the suspect's question, she responds, "Nama terakhir adalah Glyn, saya percaya. Apakah itu terdengar akrab?"
Kawani Translation
[SHOW]
"The last name was Glyn, I believe. Does that sound familiar?