Blackwood's Dogs — IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Blackwood's Dogs IC

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Yes, yes," Henri replies to the man. "Apologies for getting off track slightly."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

History check to remember stuff about Blackwood: 13(1d20) +13 = 26

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Grommak utters a low chuckle at the dwarf's sentiment. "Lads or ladies -- I don't discriminate who's receiving. Though that's not why we're here, mister. You the owner?" he asks, not waiting for an answer.

"We're looking to earn some pay. You got any work that doesn't involve whoring?"

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Henri
[SHOW]

You know few personal details about the man. You know his tendency to reject criticism, sometimes violently depending on the circumstances. You know that he keeps to himself most of the time, most orders being given by the officers rather than by himself directly. Some may be tempted to assume this means he is uninvolved in leading, but the few times the other officers have had to make decisions on their own have proven that Blackwood's leadership is on par with none of them.

In battle, you know he is a powerful but slower fighter. He can parry well and deliver devastating blows, but his ability to dodge and flee is lower than that of the smaller, more lithe members of the crew, though he is not so bulky as John. He also seems to have some amount of magical control over the weather, which he often uses to his advantage in a fight.

The few times you've spoken with him directly you remember him being firm but not rude. He often speaks in a very serious and direct manner, and rarely have you seen him show strong emotions except when punishing those who've wronged the crew or challenged his orders too many times.

Grommak, Darcell
[SHOW]

"Ah, work. The less common thing people come looking for," the man says with a light chuckle. "There's not much, truth be told. 'least not for only a handful of people. Promising marks to hunt down on the sea are aplenty, chief of all Commodore Rosso as always. Lemme see what we've got," the man continues, setting down the glass he'd been cleaning and moving behind him to a board of postings for jobs.

The man looks over the board briefly before leafing through a small pile of parchment that sits on a chair underneath the board. When finished he approaches the men and hands of a couple. "So here are probably the only the two of you could handle alone," he says, setting the papers down for the men to read. The first is written in poor handwriting with poor spelling, and reads "husbin sick, need help, peepl wan are home" and cites an indeterminate reward. The second is longer and more formal, written by someone with very good handwriting. It reads:

Code: Select all

Greetings travelers, pirates, and other passersby of this fine city. Let no one tell you that only 'wastrels' inhabit these parts. 

I am looking for aides. People, specifically, to aid me in my research. This research is of a sensitive nature, as I've many rivals who'd love to get their hands on my findings. It is such circumstances that have led me moving to this place, and looking for your help.

I offer a handsome sum to those who can help with my particular needs, which range mostly in procuring specimens for my examination and protecting me from those who'd seek to steal or damage my work. Details to be discussed in-person, as I've already given too much information here than I am comfortable giving.

See the bartender for information on how to find me. Follow instructions exactly.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Rosso ain't immortal," Grommak mumbles as he scans through the two papers the man hands him.

"The fuck is this?" The orc flicks the first notice down, bothered by its pathetic nature. His interest is piqued by the other notice, though. Hah, how engimatic. They're either paranoid or truly loaded.

"Darce, check this one out." He hands the notice to his friend and looks up at the bartender. "So what's the deal? What strings do we gotta pull for this job?"

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Darcell chuckles at at Grommak's remark regarding Russo. He reads through the notice the Orc hands to him.

"Sounds like it'll make a good song," he smirks.

"Travelers, pirates, and other passersby of this fine city," he says quoting the note, laughing at fine city. "Well we at least meet those requirements."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I should first warn that even to his crew, he's kind of an enigma of a man. But what I can tell you is that he's a remarkable leader, even though he usually delegates to his officers. But because of this, he doesn't take kindly to criticism. I've seen him get furious over criticism, and he's not someone you want to get mad," Henri says to the man, hoping to satisfy his desire for knowledge.

After a moment of gathering his thoughts, he continues, "As far as being a combatant goes, he's incredibly powerful, but also slow, given his size.
He also knows a bit of weather magic, which he's used from time to time. It's useful at sea, as you can imagine."

"Despite his image, though, the Imardanian adds, "he's not a rude man. He's just firm, and usually serious. Hardly emotional, though."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Grommak, Darcell
[SHOW]

"Not sure, to tell the truth," the bartender responds to the orc. He fishes in his back pocket for a moment before producing a sealed envelope. "The posting was delivered to my door, so I never met the person. It included this sealed envelope to give to whoever accepted. Says 'ere not to open it until alone," the man says, passing the envelope over to the pair.

On the front it clearly reads, in the same handwriting as the posting. "If you would like to aid me, please read the enclosed instructions in a private location where others cannot see. Should anyone follow you to where I am, I will leave and you will not receive the job or any form of compensation."

Henri
[SHOW]

"Weather magic, you say?" the man responds, his curiosity piqued. "Very interesting, I can use that. Did he study at an academy, or pick it up on his own? I wonder who taught him and where. I should have to meet this person to find out more. Now how will I find that out?" His voice begins to trail off as he speaks, as if he is walking away from the gate.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Grommak frowns as he reads the envelope's facade. "Thanks," the orc offers, his eyes set on the style of handwriting.

He looks up at the bartender curiously. "Suppose if you never see us again then you'll know it was a trap."

Standing up, he pockets the letter and beckons his human friend along. "Cheers, my friend. Who knows -- when we solve this little problem and get paid, we might be back to lose it all on dice and dames."

Stepping away from the table, he leans in close to Darcell. "Let's hit the Saint and read up on our job. I ain't keen on sharing the profits, but we might need more muscle -- trusted muscle."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I don't plan on losing at dice ever again thanks to the merchants of the Kyung Min," Darcell says to Grommak, thinking of his new purchase.

"I like the thinking, but we should probably set up a meet first. It sounds like a large group could scare him off. Let's find a quiet corner to read it," The Bard suggests.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Fair point," the orc offers, now heading back to the Saint. "And what's that, there? Weighted dice? Dots missing from certain angles? Hah. I worry you'll find yourself in a corner one day you can't use that silver tongue (or fingers) to get out of."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I trust that information is to your liking, then?" Henri asks the man as he begins to ramble on to himself. "Now I hope you can uphold your end of the bargain." Producing the strange wine bottle from his pack, the Imardanian says, "What can you tell me about this symbol? It's definitely not something I've seen on wine before."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Grommak, Darcell
[SHOW]

The bartender gives a small chuckle at Grommak's words before returning to his usual duties. The men make their way out of the tavern, much to the dismay of the women who'd been eyeing them before, who watch as they exit.

Once outside the pair beginning to make their way further along the wharf towards where the Saint is moored. On the way the cross paths with Rhys, who gives them his trademark grin and a friendly wave as he passes.

Henri
[SHOW]

"Ah, yes, your strange bottle," the voice says, growing back to its normal muffled volume. "Hold it up above your head and try not to cover the symbol," the voice continue.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Grommak gives the passing Rhys a nod and a smile that doesn't reach his eyes. Heading on deck to a quiet spot, Grommak opens up the envelope so he and Darcell can read it. Now, let's see what sort of business we've got.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Following the man's instruction, Henri holds the bottle up with the symbol visible. Hoping the help the man, he says, "It's got an eyeball symbol with a tree in the background. Can you tell me what it is?"

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Darcell gives Rhys a quick one finger salute as the elf walks past. Off to buy some decent food hopefully.

Back on the Saint, he moves in close to Grommak to read the letter.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Grommak, Darcell
[SHOW]

It takes little effort for the men to find an isolated spot on the ship, as most of the crew are enjoying their rare trip ashore. Inside the letter they find the following instructions:

Greetings once more. I trust you've heeded my words and are reading this note in a secluded area. If not, well, you already know I will not be at the location.

To reach me requires a trip outside of town, into the jungle. It is potentially dangerous, I've heard of many meddlesome creatures that reside in those parts. However, should you follow the instructions exactly you should not encounter anything too hostile.

Exit the town and you will reach a small levee. Ascend the levee but do not continue along the road. Head east along the top of the elevated portion and you will, after a hundred paces or so, come across a small pile of rocks. At this point you will turn and head into the jungle, moving exactly perpendicular to the levee's path.

Once in the jungle things get more difficult, but worry not. Head another hundred paces or so until you find an unnaturally twisted tree resembling the shape of an 'S'. Turn here, moving in the path that the bottom curve of the 'S' points towards. It will take you to a small clearing where we will meet. Leave at dusk, bring a torch, and I will watch for you. Too many torches and you will find an empty clearing.

Here is hoping you are trustworthy and up to the task. Should you find your way to the correct we can discuss the task - and compensation - in person.
Henri
[SHOW]

"Yes, yes, I can see what it looks like," the man replies. There is a long pause, long enough to suggest he may no longer be around, before he finally speaks up once more.

"It is a curious symbol. I've seen it before, on rare occasions, but I don't actually have much information on it. Most of the times it is referenced, it is on something in or originating from the southern portion of Imardin. Beyond that, I cannot say."

There is another, this time much shorter, pause before the man adds, "is that all you had to ask or are we done here?"

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Grommak sighs at the overly complicated steps. "One of these types. Oh well. They usually pay up real fine."

He itches his arm for a moment, in thought. "Might consider bringing another Dog, but only one. You seen Henri? Boy's a narcissist, but good in an ambush. I can think of some aboard I like better, but I trust his aim and his senses."

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Hmm," Henri says, slightly disappointed in the man's answer. "Do you have any tomes or do you know anyone who may know more?" he asks the man, hoping for a more concrete answer in the matter, and for answers worthy of the information he gave.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Henri
[SHOW]

"Not personally," the man says, his tone suggesting he might be rolling his eyes behind the wall. "It does not appear to be a magical symbol, so I'd doubt any of the other Magisters would know much about it. You'd be better of finding an academic who studies languages, runes, symbols. Someone who cares about shapes even if they don't cause things to explode," the man continues, letting out the smallest of chuckles. "I doubt you'll find anyone like that here."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Not a bad call," Darcell says, agreeing with the orc.

"I think I saw him heading off into town earlier,but who knows where he could be now," he says, trying to remember the last time he saw the Imardanian.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Hmm, alright," Henri responds to the man, glad he's at least learned it's not an arcane symbol. With a sigh, he adds, "Well thank you for the help anyways, even if it wasn't quite what I had hoped for." With little more to learn from the man evidently, he turns to take his leave.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Said he was hitting a place to sell or fix guns, I recall. Might be at a shop or on his way back now, I suppose." The orc looks around the Saint in the usual places he might find Henri, peeking over to the docks to see if the man is close-by.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well it's a bit of the walk to the location in the note. We might
spot him on our way out of town. Wastrel's Wharf is no Ellisport, if you want to find someone it usually isn't too hard,"
Darcell says in reply to Grommak.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

With Darcell's words, he and Grommak head off the ship and back into town. Henri makes his way back down the path he'd taken earlier, following the road out of the jungle and back into town. He crosses the levee and begins to re-enter the town when his eyes meets those of the other two Dogs.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Hey, squid!" Grommak gives Henri a healthy wave. "Got a job to do. We can split the dosh. You in?"

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Henri hides his surprise as he comes before his crewmates and instead flashes the pair a confident grin, returning Grommak's wave. "What's the job?" the ex-navyman replies to the orc. "If there's coin to make, I won't pass it up."

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Not... really sure yet, to be honest." Grommak slaps the letter into Henri's chest with a playful shove. "Check this out. We're meeting him out in the jungle, I guess. Figured we could use your guns if things go south."

TheWalrus42 wrote:

Greetings travelers, pirates, and other passersby of this fine city. Let no one tell you that only 'wastrels' inhabit these parts. 

I am looking for aides. People, specifically, to aid me in my research. This research is of a sensitive nature, as I've many rivals who'd love to get their hands on my findings. It is such circumstances that have led me moving to this place, and looking for your help.

I offer a handsome sum to those who can help with my particular needs, which range mostly in procuring specimens for my examination and protecting me from those who'd seek to steal or damage my work. Details to be discussed in-person, as I've already given too much information here than I am comfortable giving.

See the bartender for information on how to find me. Follow instructions exactly.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Henri carefully reads the cryptic note, unsure entirely what to make of it. "Talk about paranoia," he replies, handing the note back to Grommak. "It no doubt sounds suspicious, but he does promise a handsome sum. I'm in."

"But if anything does go wrong, a little lead in the gut should solve things," he adds with a grin, patting his holstered pistols.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I'm sure it's nothing with can't handle," Darcell says.

"I'm more worried about it not being worth our time. AS members of the most fearsome crew in port, we're valued commodities. Hiring us by the hour should be more expensive than most whores," he jokes with a smirk.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"You'd think so," Grommak says. "But I've seen some whores with gems and gold on every finger. Maybe we're in the wrong profession." He walks with the others back into the jungle, following the instructions the bartender gave them.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"I'll stick with the profession that lets me keep my clothes on," Henri responds to Grommak with a smirk. At Darcell, the Imardanian replies, "I'm sure a man as desperate and paranoid as this one will reward us well."

"If not, we can just pilfer our reward like any true pirate, he adds, flashing a wink at the bard.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Fair point. Though I've already pissed on one faction here in the Wharf. Another and Blackwood would have us keel-hauled, heh." He cracks his neck and stretches a bit, still feeling sore from the bar fight.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

The group walks as they talk, Grommak on point, following the instructions to their meeting place. They first follow along the top of the levee, seeking out the small pile of stones.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Everyone roll perception

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Well here's the levee," Henri says as they trudge onward. "Let's keep our eyes peeled for this pile of rocks. I'd hate to miss it and end up lost."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception: 12(1d20) +10 = 22

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Getting lost in the jungle is half the fun," Grommak says idly as he scans for the marker.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception: 5(1d20) +16 = 21

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"You've clearly not spent much time in the jungle," Darcell teases Grommak. He follows the others, not really paying much attention and leaving the job at hand to the others.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Henri and Grommak easily manage to spot the pile of rocks mentioned in the letter, or at least the only thing resembling it. The path begins to curve, and perpendicular to it is a period of grassy muddy ground leading up to the edge of the jungle.

The small group continues on their way, making their way through the underbrush and tripping over vines and roots. It is difficult to keep count of paces in such difficult conditions, and the area is quite dark, so movement is slow for a time.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Henri grumbles to himself as they trudge through the jungle, not keen on the difficult terrain they're forced to traverse. "Either of you seen that tree the note describes yet?" the Imardanian says, gazing around the forest in search of the distorted tree. "I can't even tell if it's been a hundred paces or not."

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception to look for this tree: 7(1d20) +10 = 17

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Henri
[SHOW]

You can see plenty of trees around you, many of them curvy or otherwise oddly-shaped, but so far none that look quite like an 'S'.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Let's get some torchlight going," Grommak suggests to his friends. He could see decently, but he knew that the note called for it.

Scanning left and right as they travel, the orc looks for any signs of the aforementioned tree.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Perception to see squiggly tree S: 15(1d20) +16 = 31

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Grommak
[SHOW]

After a moment of search you do spot the tree, off to your right and good 20 paces or so through the heavy brush.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"See the tree yet?" Darcell asks, as he grabs a torch out of his pack.

Not wanting to spend time struggling with a flint and steel, he quickly grabs one of Henri's pistols from its holster and uses the flintlock mechanism to light the torch quickly.

He then shoves the pistol back into its holster before Henri can protest.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Aye. It's there. To the right," Grommak points out to this friends. As he shoves his way through the thick growth, he squints to find which way the tree's lower curve aims toward.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Hey!" the Imardanian says as Darcell uses his flintlock to light the torch, unable to stop the bard. He, however, breathes a sigh of relief to finally have light as darkness begins to overwhelm with the canopy above. At Grommak, he replies, "Good, we're getting close to the clearing then, if this man actually shows up."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

As the group approaches the tree, making their way ever further into the thick jungle, they can see that it is facing straight ahead - or further to the right of their original path. Facing that direction, through the trees, they are just barely able to make out the faint glimmer of light, possibly from a campfire or another torch.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Man, woman -- we ain't got any idea who it is, lad." Grommak slips his way through the brush, noticing the light ahead. "Look, it's them. You guys go on ahead. I'm going to circle around the clearing just to ensure we don't have an ambush on our hands." He begins to move at an angle to the light, trying to rotate around to get a better angle for investigation.

Mechanics
[SHOW]

Stealth to sneak around: 13(1d20) +7 = 20

Perception to try and look for who it is or find possibly ambushers: 7(1d20) +16 = 23

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Well I guess we're the ones making the formal introduction then," Darcell says to Henri as Grommak moves into the shadows.

He continues to walk through the underbrush, towards the source of the light.

Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Henri smirks at Darcell, saying, "He's sending the best looking of us for the introduction," and flashing a wink at the man. Following the bard's lead, he treks on through the jungle, headed towards the source of light in the clearing.

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

As the group approaches closer to the clearing, they can see that it is indeed a campfire that is the source of the light. Around the campfire can be seen what appears to be a random assortment of satchels, sacks, and books, and a few potatoes and apples just lying on the ground. On the opposite side of the clearing from their approach there is a decently-large tent, the sort that a military man would use to house a war table, with the flaps closed.

To the right of the tent can be seen a large pile of what can be best described as a random assortment of items. Books, clothing, shoes, glass bottles, animal bones, plants, and random weapons are among some of the items that are visible, though at such a distance it is not wholly clear what all is there.

Grommak
[SHOW]

You don't get the sense that you've been noticed as you creep through the brush, but you don't sense any movement coming from the clearing at all, so it is not wholly clear. As you peer ahead, you glimpse the pile near the tent more clearly than the others. While most of it seems fairly mundane, you feel like you caught glimpses of body parts among the other assorted items.

ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Noticing body parts among the scattered items, Grommak is intrigued. He steps into the clearing, nodding to his friends as they approach. Peeking toward the tent, he approaches. "We made it here, stranger. One torch. Just like you said. Anyone home?"